Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Serious post and proposal
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 922

Serious post and proposal

Jun 13, 2013, 2:22 PM

The only reason we are able to joke about the rock is because the vandal failed. They got a piece, but what if they had stolen the whole thing and then casually tossed it off a bridge into Lake Hartwell? Take a minute and really imagine if our rock was gone...forever. It makes me sad to think about it and I'm not sure how I'd handle it. If you aren’t a Clemson fan, or are a fan of a school with no tradition then you don’t understand. It's not just a rock, it's an iconic symbol of our University; of the Tiger family. The rock is as much a part of Clemson as the hill, Tillman Hall, Bowman Field, Esso Club, TTT, the '81 Tigers, Coach Howard and Ford, etc. The story of the rock is one of the first things our parents told us about Clemson when we were kids....it is a story we all know (#### every sports fan knows it). It's one of the first Clemson stories we share with our kids. We gather around it after games and take pictures. We tell the kids to meet us at the rock after they have chased all of the football players looking for an autograph or glove. The rock is important; a Clemson treasure, a college football treasure..it is sacred.

Hopefully the CUPD and the Athletic Department will take appropriate steps to ensure that something like this never happens again.

With that being said I think that the rock being chipped offers a unique opportunity to make something positive out of a negative. I'd like to see a portion of the rock removed, lower chunk, and put in a portable glass case that travels to all away games so that the players can rub the rock at every game. Let the Tigers take the power of the rock with them on the road as a reminder of home & family...of TigerNation.

Go Tigers

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

POTD^^***

Jun 13, 2013, 2:28 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Frankly....

Jun 13, 2013, 2:30 PM

after the incident at Auburn not to mention the previous attempt to vandalie the Rock twenty years ago, the Athletic Department should have already taken appropriate steps to ensure that something like this never happens again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Frankly....

Jun 13, 2013, 2:35 PM

absolutely agree!!bad planing on their part..should have had cameras for the least security...they had to think someone would try this again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Frankly....

Jun 13, 2013, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Frankly.... ]

I agree. It sound like the gates were left unattended after Football campers did the photo opp. I think somebody dropped the ball too. I biggest hope is that it was Ga QB Aaron Murray! That would make August 31st even better!!! lol

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Serious post and proposal

Jun 13, 2013, 2:34 PM

Thanks for your passion. Yes it is truly a sad day for Tigers and this should be a wake up call for precautions to be taken.

However, I'm not sure if I can agree about the travelling rock idea. Part of the legend of "The Rock" is "the Tiger players touch it as they enter Death Valley".

The rock is a "Death Valley" tradition and I think we cheapen the brand by doing something like taking it on the road. And didn't Hatfield already try something silly like that?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not suggesting that we parade it around at away games or

Jun 13, 2013, 2:40 PM

even make a big deal that we are doing it...or keep it on the bench like a "lunch pail". This would be something that stayed in the locker room, it would be for the players and coaches.

Pretty sure that Hatfield didn't cut off a chunk of the rock...he cut off recruiting for a few years, but not the rock that I am aware of.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very well put....

Jun 13, 2013, 2:36 PM

As the news is getting out I think we (i.e., CU) should have learned the lesson at the first attempt to deface the rock and taken better measures to protect the rock.

This time a serious attempt was made to steal the rock. Thank the good lawd it failed.

The administration needs to take SERIOUS measures to make sure that no one can harm/steal the rock in the future.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Need arounf the the clock rent-a-cop (armed), & or. cameras.

Jun 13, 2013, 2:51 PM

neither could be that costly. Also. offer a nice reward for info leading to an arrest for this crime.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if The Rock was truly gone.....

Jun 13, 2013, 2:56 PM

there is a "spare" around the area.

Anybody that ever hung out at one of the long-time local downtown bars knows what I'm talking about.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if that had happened...

Jun 13, 2013, 3:34 PM

it would've been a martyr and become legendary.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 922
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic