Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Frank Howard
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Frank Howard

Oct 4, 2018, 2:22 PM

https://youtu.be/jeLp2raWqyc
Many younger fans never met him or know why Clemson is what we are. Frank Howard is a big part of it. He was straight forward, I remember Danny ford speaking at the touchdown club, while he was the coach of Arkansas. Danny said “well maybe we can play Each other sometime.” Frank Howard said “ Nah , we’ve got enough easy Games now.” Lol he was a living legend here for a long time.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Frank Howard

Oct 4, 2018, 2:34 PM

Thanks for posting. Great story about Coach Howard. My Dad played for coach Howard on the '48 undefeated team, and he had some great stories about Coach Howard.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2018, 2:53 PM

I can only imagine, he was a rascal, I bet he always was.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2018, 2:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Frank Howard ]

I met him as a teen at a tailgate. Or at least I said hi to him. He was just larger then life.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2018, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Frank Howard ]

my favorite story about frank howard:back in the 60's I believe.someone asked him why we didn't have a crew team,since CU sat on a lake.his response was that he couldn't see putting money into a sport where people sit down and go backwards to win.2nd favorite:he had to quit coaching for health reasons.the students and faculty were sick of him.love the humor.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Oct 4, 2018, 3:09 PM

Hahahaha! That’s good stuff. I liked the saying, if someone asked a stupid question he’d say” huh ? Well that boy must be from wake Forest.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2018, 7:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Frank Howard ]

not to nit pick, but the version I heard was,

" I'll be danged if I'll support a sport where you participate sitting down and win going backwards."

Oct 4, 2018, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Frank Howard ]

My Dad was co-captain of the 1948 Gator Bowl and he loved Coach Howard. Thanks for sharing!

Oct 4, 2018, 6:10 PM

Yes sir would love to know your dads name.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2018, 3:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Frank Howard ]

My dad played for Frank Howard in Howards 2nd and 3rd season at Clemson. This was early in WW2 or shortly before WW2

Howard coached 30 years

sniff sniff***

Oct 4, 2018, 2:40 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I was a student-athlete at Clemson...

Oct 4, 2018, 3:00 PM

Coach Howard still maintained an office in Jervey even after he retired in 1971. All of the athletic teams also shared the same weight room and training facilities in Jervey so it was not uncommon for Coach Howard to stop by from time to time for a visit.

One of the funniest things I ever heard him say was, "I don't want the best team to win. I want us to win!"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: When I was a student-athlete at Clemson...

Oct 4, 2018, 3:13 PM

Hahahaha! There’s a lot in that statement. I heard an older lady call him a rascal. He just looked at her and said , “well thank you.” I thought to myself, that’s actually a good description of him.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

You can’t talk about coach Howard and not mention....

Oct 4, 2018, 3:22 PM

White Meat. According to the coach, we will be playing white meat Saturday. They were regularly our opponent in the old days when GT and UGA got to us early. If Pea Head Walker and Frank were around today this would be a memorable week...... at least for the newspaper guys.

I’m afraid WF isnt ‘white meat’ anymore. Hope our db’s have had a good week of practice.

Go Tigers

Re: You can’t talk about coach Howard and not mention....

Oct 4, 2018, 3:28 PM

Coach Howard had a line for everything. I bet he’d love Dabo. Them two together would be fun to watch.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

UVa was white meat

Oct 4, 2018, 4:58 PM [ in reply to You can’t talk about coach Howard and not mention.... ]

not Wake

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: UVa was white meat

Oct 5, 2018, 10:46 PM

I believe coach H was referring to the acc teams he faced after challenging the Georgia teams early in the year. UVA was certainly one of those ‘bottom feeders’ during that time... as was WF.

Oct 4, 2018, 3:42 PM

my father was active in IPTAY when I was young" I am 60" but once Coach Howard stopped by our house after recruiting in the Bamberg county area. loved talking to him & listening to his stories

Oct 4, 2018, 3:51 PM

Lol he had a million stories or sayings
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Dang you short

Oct 4, 2018, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Frank Howard ]

;)

Absolute Legend. Clemson is Frank Howard***

Oct 4, 2018, 4:09 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Frank Howard***

Oct 4, 2018, 4:21 PM

Oct 4, 2018, 4:41 PM

I met Frank Howard in 1969 when I was a freshman at Clemson. My dad introduced me to him at Fike Field House before the game that Saturday. When i shook his hand, Coach Howard told me he was glad I had gotten my “rat cut” unlike a lot of the other freshman that year! Back in those days, students could just walk up to practice and watch. They practiced in the field behind the north stands.

Oct 4, 2018, 6:21 PM

That’s an awesome story , I love the story about the play where the receiver would hide behind the tree that was in the feild.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2018, 6:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Frank Howard ]

Yep. My father was in grad school then and had some players in his chemistry labs. We would occasionally go watch the practices on those fields and I got to meet him there. One practice my brother, who was 6 or 7 at the time, blew the air horn ending a practice period. The coaches were looking around for somebody to get after but all they saw was a little boy covering his ears.

Oct 4, 2018, 4:57 PM

I attended the Bluebonnet Bowl in 1959 with my Uncle who graduated in 1949 and got to go in the locker room after the game. I was only 12 and am sad to say don't remember much about it and it was the only time I got close to him. One of my favorite tales from my Uncle was when Frank was asked why he went for 2 pts instead of the tie in a close game he said "A tie is like kissing your sister"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Oct 4, 2018, 6:25 PM

Great post thanks I love history of the program.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2018, 5:01 PM

I had just arrived in Clemson in early July 1955. I went down to the Clemson Post Office (now Mell Hall) the next morning to get my mail started. As I was entering the PO, Frank Howard was coming out. His first words were , "how you doing, good buddy"? I had never seen Coach Howard before but had seen his picture in the Florida Times Union (Jacksonville, FL) many times and had read a lot about him.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2018, 6:30 PM

That’s what he called me. HAHA
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2018, 6:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Frank Howard ]

That’s what he called me. HAHA
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2018, 5:02 PM

I remember traveling to Clemson for a football game the year before I went to Clemson (so 1978 season). They had an interview with him and Bear Bryant via phone on the Tiger Tailgate Show.

They couldn't get Howard to be quiet (typical) and all you could hear of Bryant was him laughing on the other end of the phone.

Coach Howard was talking about Coach Bryant calling him and begging for a job right after he had been named head coach. Coach Howard said no way he was giving him a job because he'd have a knife in his back within a year and the team would be on probation forever.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I interviewed him twice as TiGER Student Newspaper Sports Writer in mid ‘60 and..

Oct 4, 2018, 5:09 PM

he was larger than life for sure. “BUDDY” was his greeting card & when he said it to you, you didn’t mind your new name!

Won’t repeat some of my posts about him but one of my better posts concerning him may still be in the TNet HoF Top 25, or Top 50 now..

If you want to check it out.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I interviewed him twice as TiGER Student Newspaper Sports Writer in mid ‘60 and..

Oct 4, 2018, 6:35 PM

I would love to, how do you look that up? I absolutely love hearing his jokes or lines, he was such a character. And Yes you were Buddy to coach Howard. I was a stupid teen, I wish I could redo that meeting.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2018, 6:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Frank Howard ]

That’s hilarious, I almost spit out my drink.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2018, 5:36 PM

We should get Frank Howard Field written on the field so it can be seen during telecasts. In 20 years or so it will be renamed Swinney-Howard Field.

Oct 4, 2018, 6:38 PM

I agree with that.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

My uncle used to listen to Clemson games on a radio at the

Oct 4, 2018, 5:57 PM

local pharmacy with several of his pals. This was their Sat afternoon hangout... to tell jokes, tell lies, and flirt with the women folks who came in. His favorite story I heard a million times was an interview with Frank after a rare win over Georgia. Reviewing the series history, I've determined it must've been 1955.

"Wayell, we beat Jawjuh today, and there was a fight after the game... and we won dat too!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

Re: My uncle used to listen to Clemson games on a radio at the

Oct 4, 2018, 6:39 PM

Hahahaha! That’s hilarious.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2018, 6:23 PM

The Bashful Barron From Barlow Bend!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2018, 6:45 PM

Lol not sure how bashful he was, a rascal more like it.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2018, 7:01 PM

Coach Howard was before my time, but he’s obviously a Tiger legend. My Dad loved/loves him! I can’t count the number of times we’ve debated who was the best coach. Coach Howard or Coach Ford? His default argument: “Coach Howard built it (Death Valley)”. My default argument: “Yeah, but Coach Ford filled it!”. We no longer debate the topic. It’s pretty obvious these days...

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2018, 7:09 PM

No there isn’t, but coach Howard would have loved Dabo like a son.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!

Oct 4, 2018, 7:05 PM

He autographed a copy of his book for me in Anderson - one of hundreds he probably did on that day alone, chatting all the while. This wasn't in the 1970s either- the man was like 80 and he still radiated energy and enthusiasm. I can only imagine what he was like coaching.

Full of great stories, told in a down-home manner.

Oct 4, 2018, 7:11 PM

Haha! I imagine he was a lot like Dabo when he was young.
GO TIGERS!!!!!!!

Oct 6, 2018, 8:51 AM

The best part was “a Clemson fan plucked a chicken, feather by feather before they played USuCk”. And the crowd went wild. I’m sure he snapped his neck too. Could you imagine if that happened today!

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic