Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Former Defense Secretary James Mattis statement.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Former Defense Secretary James Mattis statement.

Jun 3, 2020, 6:43 PM

IN UNION THERE IS STRENGTH

I have watched this week’s unfolding events, angry and appalled. The words “Equal Justice Under Law” are carved in the pediment of the United States Supreme Court. This is precisely what protesters are rightly demanding. It is a wholesome and unifying demand—one that all of us should be able to get behind. We must not be distracted by a small number of lawbreakers. The protests are defined by tens of thousands of people of conscience who are insisting that we live up to our values—our values as people and our values as a nation.

When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside.

We must reject any thinking of our cities as a “battlespace” that our uniformed military is called upon to “dominate.” At home, we should use our military only when requested to do so, on very rare occasions, by state governors. Militarizing our response, as we witnessed in Washington, D.C., sets up a conflict—a false conflict—between the military and civilian society. It erodes the moral ground that ensures a trusted bond between men and women in uniform and the society they are sworn to protect, and of which they themselves are a part. Keeping public order rests with civilian state and local leaders who best understand their communities and are answerable to them.

James Madison wrote in Federalist 14 that “America united with a handful of troops, or without a single soldier, exhibits a more forbidding posture to foreign ambition than America disunited, with a hundred thousand veterans ready for combat.” We do not need to militarize our response to protests. We need to unite around a common purpose. And it starts by guaranteeing that all of us are equal before the law.

Instructions given by the military departments to our troops before the Normandy invasion reminded soldiers that “The Nazi slogan for destroying us…was ‘Divide and Conquer.’ Our American answer is ‘In Union there is Strength.’” We must summon that unity to surmount this crisis—confident that we are better than our politics.

Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership. We can unite without him, drawing on the strengths inherent in our civil society. This will not be easy, as the past few days have shown, but we owe it to our fellow citizens; to past generations that bled to defend our promise; and to our children.

We can come through this trying time stronger, and with a renewed sense of purpose and respect for one another. The pandemic has shown us that it is not only our troops who are willing to offer the ultimate sacrifice for the safety of the community. Americans in hospitals, grocery stores, post offices, and elsewhere have put their lives on the line in order to serve their fellow citizens and their country. We know that we are better than the abuse of executive authority that we witnessed in Lafayette Square. We must reject and hold accountable those in office who would make a mockery of our Constitution. At the same time, we must remember Lincoln’s “better angels,” and listen to them, as we work to unite.

Only by adopting a new path—which means, in truth, returning to the original path of our founding ideals—will we again be a country admired and respected at home and abroad.

General James Mattis.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not one single Trump supporter here. Not one.

Jun 3, 2020, 6:50 PM

Gets to criticize Mattis on this, because when he was Def. Sec., they celebrated him, adored everything he did and said, and called him Trump's best hire.

And he was a great hire. Glad he had the integrity to get out when he did.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

I think they will disagree with you on that.

Jun 3, 2020, 6:58 PM

Trump will give them their marching orders.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course. Paging Memphis to this.

Jun 3, 2020, 6:59 PM

He once lauded Mattis as the greatest thing ever, but once he left, Memphis declared him a deep state plant.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Re: Of course. Paging Memphis to this.

Jun 3, 2020, 7:33 PM

Pretty sure Memphis is on tour with the Boogaloos. He's been AWOL for awhile now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not one single Trump supporter here. Not one.

Jun 3, 2020, 6:59 PM [ in reply to Not one single Trump supporter here. Not one. ]

I agree with him 100%. And Trump is in so far over his head,

Jun 3, 2020, 6:59 PM [ in reply to Not one single Trump supporter here. Not one. ]

this may be what finally gets him out of office.

Make no mistake, the near future is going to suck for us white men, but revolutions are not easy.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

lol!***

Jun 3, 2020, 7:00 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree with him 100%. And Trump is in so far over his head,

Jun 3, 2020, 7:02 PM [ in reply to I agree with him 100%. And Trump is in so far over his head, ]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KT4vDQeI0pA&list=PLjb5kMzP2zonHbn8BE-DVrKRJ6iL_Dfv-&index=18

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The near future should be tough on racist white men

Jun 3, 2020, 7:03 PM [ in reply to I agree with him 100%. And Trump is in so far over his head, ]

as well as the distant future.

Hopefully, you aren't one of those.

Too bad i'd have to go searching for a racist white man?***

Jun 3, 2020, 7:08 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

52% of Americans think Trump is racist.

Jun 3, 2020, 7:22 PM

only 37% believe he is not.

83% of African American think he's racist. Probably up close to 100% by now.

There's a starting point for you.

So you know him personally?***

Jun 3, 2020, 7:24 PM

Capitulation.***

Jun 3, 2020, 7:34 PM

You're obsessed.

Jun 3, 2020, 7:44 PM

sick

Nope.

Jun 3, 2020, 7:49 PM

I give you facts about people's perception of Trump and you ask me if I know him personally, as if that had some magical significance.

I really doesn't take long to figure this stuff out. It's pretty easy actually.

Facts about other people perceptions.

Jun 3, 2020, 7:54 PM

lol you are dumb af and more dangerous than a dumb cop.

It might suck for anyone stubborn

Jun 3, 2020, 7:10 PM [ in reply to I agree with him 100%. And Trump is in so far over his head, ]

enough to holdfast onto their Trump love, even when he’s out of office twidderbiching about every little thing that pops into his adderall-addled brain hole. He ain’t ever gonna be quiet until the good Lord decides to shut him up for good.

Sucking for white men means not getting the desired tee time

Jun 3, 2020, 7:14 PM [ in reply to I agree with him 100%. And Trump is in so far over his head, ]

or weekends or the pub being out of our favorite craft beer. Is their a male equivalent for Nancy?

I’ll live unlike too many blacks who have encounters with Law Enforcement. The immediate change needed in Police action is decades overdue.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sucks when white man pays child support every month too

Jun 3, 2020, 7:15 PM

eh?

True***

Jun 3, 2020, 7:18 PM

This statement helps define Patriots and creates separation

Jun 3, 2020, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Not one single Trump supporter here. Not one. ]

from those who do not have the knowledge to know what our Constitution and Laws demand or knowingly fully dismiss those concepts.

Let’s see where folks align.

Absolutely. It's damning against Trump.

Jun 3, 2020, 7:46 PM

Mattis just reminded every person in the U.S. military that his or her oath is to our country and our Constitution. He basically insinuating to them that they must oppose this president.

Has any president in our history had his own people turn against him like Trump? His presidency is done.

How is a guy that he pushed out his own people?

Jun 3, 2020, 7:51 PM

It's done, T3.

Jun 3, 2020, 7:55 PM

No president in history has had so many of his own hires quit and turn on him, and Mattis knows Trump far better than you or I. Mattis is a patriot and a hero.

Maybe it's time you start listening. But I will entertain your ideas why you think Mattis is wrong.

No I asked you a bunch questions and

Jun 3, 2020, 8:00 PM

Okay, I'll answer...

Jun 3, 2020, 8:11 PM

Is Comey his own people too?

No, and he didn't push Mattis out.

I’m not equating the too but I’m also not jumping to conclusions about a sour grapes guy either.

He didn't push Mattis out.

What’s been unconstitutional? Rule of law?

Claiming he would turn the military on our people (I won't get into all the other unconstitutional #### he does). Turning tear gas, rubber bullets, and batons on peaceful protesters for his photo op.

Threat (without follow through) of the Insurrection Act? Walking to a church? Protecting the life, property and rights of US citizens caught up in the riots?

Yes, he violated the constitutional rights of protesters. And if he follows through with the Insurrection Act, yes.

Stop adoring and supporting a man you want to be dictator and start supporting America, democracy, and our Constitution.

Re: Okay, I'll answer...

Jun 3, 2020, 8:26 PM

Re: Okay, I'll answer...

Jun 3, 2020, 11:31 PM

That's simply not true. Mattis was not fired by Obama "without a phone call", he wasn't fired by Obama at all. Panetta didn't feel that Mattis didn't take into account the full picture a President has to take in as Mattis pushed for stronger action against Iran. Stop making crap up. Obama nominated Mattis to United States Central Command. Mattis retired from that postion and the Marine Corps April, 2012.

It's a sleazy position to take. Mattis is an American hero. The best our country can breed. But you want to slime him with half-truths and fake information. You need to start showing some character.

Re: How is a guy that he pushed out his own people?

Jun 3, 2020, 11:26 PM [ in reply to How is a guy that he pushed out his own people? ]

T3Tiger said:

Is Comey his own people too? I’m not equating the too but I’m also not jumping to conclusions about a sour grapes guy either.

What’s been unconstitutional? Rule of law? Threat (without follow through) of the Insurrection Act? Walking to a church? Protecting the life, property and rights of US citizens caught up in the riots?

Mattis resigned from his post as Sec. of State because Trump insisted on pulling troops out of Syria and the betrayal of the Kurds. Mattis's effective date of his resignation was Feb. 28. Trump accelerated that date to Jan. 1 so he could claim he fired him. Mattis is the best America can give. You want to demean him to diminish the import of his public denunciation fo Trump. Hold your breath, in the coming month, you will see a cascade of public denouncements. You seem to believe you're playing a game. Defend Trump, attack his critics and see if you win. Look at the sorry state of our country.

You should look up Otto Ohlendorf. He was a German Economist and Attorney. A very bright and intelligent man he studied at the University of Leipzig, University of Göttingen and took his law degree from the University of Pavia He gained a Directorship at the Kiel Institute for the World Economy where he taught economics. He was highly regarded as an educator and an economist. He was a well-liked, educated, and brilliant man. Later in his career he bacame the leader of Einsatzgruppen D and murdered tens of thousands of Jews, men women, and children, following behind the Wermacht into Moldovia and Crimea. He was executed after trial at Nuremberg in 1946.

Now I'm not suggesting that you're a nazi or anything of the sort. But I am illustrating that highly educated, very intelligent people can be misled just like anybody else. The country is about to vomit out Donald Trump. You might want to consider which side of history you want to be on.

Everybody agrees with those protesting.

Jun 3, 2020, 6:57 PM

It's the looting, riots, burning and vandalism of property and beatings and murder of innocent people that sane people hate.

You made your point, a cop unjustly killing someone is wrong. Now move on to telling your democrat friends who are dead set on destroying American cities to stop the riots, lootings, vandalism and burning of property and their beatings and murders of innocent people of all color to stop.

It's hightime for you to speak out against those injustices.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My god you’re incredibly out of touch with reality.***

Jun 3, 2020, 6:59 PM

Re: Everybody agrees with those protesting.

Jun 3, 2020, 11:05 PM [ in reply to Everybody agrees with those protesting. ]

Since when are Democrats "dead set on destroying American cities" ? That's a new accusation. I doubt that those burning and looting are even registered to vote, much less Democrats.

They're being bailed out and released by democrats***

Jun 4, 2020, 9:38 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Former Defense Secretary James Mattis statement.

Jun 3, 2020, 8:41 PM

Dumb sheep still don’t have a clue what’s happening in your own country. All you can focus on is your petty little emotional concerns.

Re: Former Defense Secretary James Mattis statement.

Jun 3, 2020, 11:32 PM

Hi Memphis, where you been? Rioting in Atlanta perhaps? Burned any police cars lately?

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic