Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For you camping folks.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

For you camping folks.

Sep 4, 2018, 1:51 PM

We got a camper a few weeks ago and was curious about some good state parks or campgrounds you guys and gals have stayed at. A few years back we stayed with my family at Calhoun Falls state park and Hawe creek once before. I liked them a lot. TIA in advance.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For you camping folks.

Sep 4, 2018, 1:53 PM

I think the Clemson admin basically decided to move away from camping out and more towards the lottery system.

Sep 4, 2018, 2:37 PM

MC92 said:

We got a camper a few weeks ago and was curious about some good state parks or campgrounds you guys and gals have stayed at. A few years back we stayed with my family at Calhoun Falls state park and Hawe creek once before. I liked them a lot. TIA in advance.

Are you asking about camping on game days only, or just camping in general?

Sep 4, 2018, 2:44 PM

There are great campgrounds on Lake Hartwell- Twin Lakes near campus, Coneross is a very short drive away. Both are well maintained with large sites.

Sep 4, 2018, 2:44 PM [ in reply to Re: For you camping folks. ]

There are great campgrounds on Lake Hartwell- Twin Lakes near campus, Coneross is a very short drive away. Both are well maintained with large sites.

Sep 4, 2018, 2:57 PM [ in reply to Re: For you camping folks. ]

Camping in general. The arguments going on today are the same ole same ole. Trying to change it up a little.

Sep 4, 2018, 8:42 PM

State Parks at the beach- Hunting Island and Edisto are great but you have to book way ahead of time. Our go to beach campground is Lakewood in Myrtle Beach - the kids will love the slides, pools, lazy river, free mini golf, arcade, ice cream - you never have to leave the park!

Dreher Island if you want to go to the lake.

Mountains- love Table Rock State Park but can be tight getting your camper into the site. KOA pigeon forge is fairly nice and is on the trolley route.

Go to Stone Mountain (Atlanta) at Christmas for the shows and snow.

Charlotte area - Dan Nicholas Park - a lot to do at the park and close to the North Carolina Transportation Museum.

Those are our go-to spots, but there are many more we’ve tried over the years. We’ve camped with kids from new-born to 19+.

Sep 4, 2018, 2:44 PM

Camping in general...

Dreher Island State Park (Lake Murray) used to be a good one. Haven't been there in quite a while though to know if it's still like it used to be.
Oconee State Park
Kings Mountain State Park (Kings Mountain, NC...just over the NC/SC border off I-85)
Twin Peaks in the Clemson general area is nice.

Dreher Island still good

Sep 4, 2018, 11:25 PM

Maybe better, depending on how many coots are present...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

How far away are you willing to travel?***

Sep 4, 2018, 2:49 PM

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Re: How far away are you willing to travel?***

Sep 4, 2018, 3:00 PM

For a good campground, 4 or 5 hrs tops. I have a 3 yr old and a 6 yr old. I know it’s hard to believe two brothers could fight and argue about absolutely nothing but they can tangle with the best of em.

Re: How far away are you willing to travel?***

Sep 5, 2018, 7:27 AM

some of our favorites are Riverbend in Lake Toxaway, WillowTree RV resort in Longs SC, Ebenezer Park in Rock Hill on Lake Whyly, we are wimps so we look for full hook ups.

Sep 4, 2018, 3:11 PM

If going to the beach, Hilton Head RV and Marina is the absolute best. Got back from there about two hours ago. Very affordable, best beach experience in SC. We go there 2-3 times a year.

Sep 4, 2018, 3:15 PM

I've stayed at Keowee-Toxaway a couple of times for games and found it rather nice . It's 30+ minutes to Clemson but a really nice setting

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Sep 4, 2018, 3:27 PM

Beach- Hunting Island use to be awesome, been about 7 or 8 years since I have been, not sure how much is left, erosion has been a big deal. Edisto looks ok too, never stayed there.
Clark’s Hill has great campgrounds, Petersburg and Ridge Road are Corp of Engr campgrounds, very nice. Hickory Knob is nice, has a golf course.
Mountains - Like Keowee Toxaway and Unicoi near Helen Ga.

Sep 4, 2018, 3:31 PM

Virginia has some of the best parks I've ever camped at.
Good facilities and great destinations.

check this place out

Sep 4, 2018, 3:32 PM

https://www.recreation.gov/camping/mount-pisgah-campground/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=75021

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Sep 4, 2018, 3:37 PM

We have stayed at Table Rock and Oconee County State Park and enjoyed them both. Table Rock would be my favorite of those two. If coming to NC, try Black Mountain Campground up near Mount Mitchell on the South Toe River. Very scenic and family friendly - the boys will love playing in the river!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of '87

Sep 4, 2018, 6:16 PM

Edisto is great. Has two sections depending on whether you want beach or fishing/boating.
Checking out Hunting Island in Nov. to see if it has recovered from the storm a few years ago.
WV has great parks as well as VA. Grayson Highlands is close and has the Virginia Creeper Trail close by.
Custer SP in SD if you have 2 or 3 weeks. It's awesome.

Sep 4, 2018, 6:18 PM

KOA Cherokee, NC especially if you have kids.

Lakewood Campground in Myrtle Beach.

We have a cabin outside Cherokee but I have often camped at KOA just so my boys could participate in all of the activities there

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 4, 2018, 7:04 PM

I have fond memories of camping at the Davidson River campground just a few miles out of Brevard . It's in the DuPont Forest .

There's fishing for trout and hiking and bike riding . It's especially nice in the fall . There a more waterfalls than you can visit . Check out Sliding Rock a short drive up Hwy . 64 .
It's also close enough to Brevard so you drive into town for breakfast at McDonald's before everyone else gets up .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I love camping with the guys.***

Sep 4, 2018, 9:01 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic