Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those on TNet over the age of 50 — Is This One of The Top 5 Worst CU Basketball Teams
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

For those on TNet over the age of 50 — Is This One of The Top 5 Worst CU Basketball Teams

Dec 22, 2019, 7:19 PM

In your Lifetime? As a near 60 year old, I would say yes!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For those on TNet over the age of 50 — Is This One of The Top 5 Worst CU Basketball Teams

Dec 22, 2019, 7:22 PM

It’s right up there! Saw my first game in the old field house in 1961. This team might beat them!

Re: For those on TNet over the age of 50 — Is This One of The Top 5 Worst CU Basketball Teams

Dec 22, 2019, 7:24 PM

I am 68 and this to me is by far theeee worst team and coach I have seen. Hey Tnetters---all you Brad lovers--what does it take to convince you the man is a fraud. Stop praising and hoping. He has gotten every break and advantage a coach can get but he keeps on being a failure and all he wants to do is whine about the publicity Dabo and Co get----well DUH HUH Brad- they win and you lose-- doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out!! Be a man for once and resign!!

Worse than anything Ellis, Barnes & Purnell put on the court

Dec 22, 2019, 7:25 PM

The '99-'00 team that lost to Wisconsin-Green Bay by 17 and scored 35 against Oregon State and finished 10-20 might be worse than this team. That team did at least sweep NC State and get 4 total ACC wins. We'll see how this team ends up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

About like a typical Shyatt team***

Dec 22, 2019, 7:26 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As an actual 60 year old, yes. At least one of the most

Dec 22, 2019, 7:32 PM

disappointing. It's very Shyatt-esque. It is inexcusable for a coach in year 10 to put a team this bad on the court. I can't speak to the financial and contractual concerns, but from a performance/results perspective, no school with and ounce of pride that was serious about being competitive in basketball would tolerate this.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: As an actual 60 year old, yes. At least one of the most

Dec 22, 2019, 7:38 PM

Completely agree Smiling!

Re: As an actual 60 year old, yes. At least one of the most

Dec 22, 2019, 8:05 PM [ in reply to As an actual 60 year old, yes. At least one of the most ]

Agree - Smiling !! Have followed Clemson basketball since the early ‘60’s ... I’m not sure we have ever been really serious about basketball ... Really don’t understand why ?? But to be OK with this sort of performance in year 10 is really puzzling and concerning !! And .. for Brad to say he is anxious to see the film is like Muschamp saying he will “evaluate” ... I mean ... what can they possibly pick up from the film that they don’t already have a pretty good idea about? Lol.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

From a talent standpoint, no. Effort, execution, and

Dec 22, 2019, 7:54 PM

Teamwork, yes. This team has no passion, desire, or pride and that is a direct reflection of their coach. If Brownell can’t get more out of this team than he’s shown so far he shouldn’t wait to be fired, he should walk away.

1984 alum weighing inn ...

Dec 22, 2019, 8:01 PM

As a VA native, attended Clemson in part due to ACC basketball which was still a thing before "one and done". Always attended as a student and continued support from Savannah for 30 years. For last few years, the program is dead to me.

Re: 1984 alum weighing inn ...

Dec 23, 2019, 8:21 AM

Regarding your last comment: that is the WORST part of it. It’s like we roll from great football seasons to ....... nothing, irrelevance in winter/spring ball.
Snag a young Duke or Kentucky assistant and let’s move on!!

Re: 1984 alum weighing inn ...

Dec 23, 2019, 8:23 AM [ in reply to 1984 alum weighing inn ... ]

Yep you’re on the right track. The ACC as we knew it is dead with the conference expansion and college basketball is dead with the one and done, transfer portal and the general ignoring of the paying athletes through shoe companies FBI scandal. And Brownell has seen to killing off any mild fan interest at Clemson with his unwatchable style of play and passive manor.

Dec 22, 2019, 8:03 PM

I’m 60. It’s in the top five.

Dec 22, 2019, 8:12 PM

Been following Clemson Basketball since Bill Foster's first year and I would have to say the middle 3 seasons of Larry Shyatt's 5 years were some pretty bad ones having a back to back to back 3 year losing streak and the non conference teams he was losing to should never happen but it did.

Won't know till January.

Dec 22, 2019, 8:35 PM

But could out-Shyatt Shyatt.

Only Shyatt's teams worse, maybe

Dec 22, 2019, 8:39 PM

And I've been following since Tates

Re: Only Shyatt's teams worse, maybe

Dec 22, 2019, 8:47 PM

Shyatt’s teams were worse. Bill Foster has some bad teams at the end, too. I don’t know any teams before Tate’s Locke,.

We should not have put the money in basketball with the Littlejohn restoration, as I had previously said. Take away the basketball scholarships and give them to the baseball team. Basketball at Clemson is a lost cause.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2019, 11:18 PM

That’s not true. Shyatt played considerably harder schedules. Over his tenure, 1/2 of Shyatt’s ACC opponents were ranked in the top 25, 30% in the top 10, and 18% were in the top 5 (a mark tied with Foster as possibly the most difficult eras in Clemson basketball). Brownell plays a bigger ACC schedule against only 29% top 25, 12% top 10, and 6% top 5. Shyatt also knocked off a #1 ranked UNC team - a feat that Brownell has never come close to accomplishing. He has actually never won a game against a top 5 team in his career. Something Foster, Ellis, Shyatt, and Purnell all managed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 23, 2019, 9:31 AM

I won’t argue against what you say, but I never was a fan of Bill Foster or Shyatt. Foster’s best years were early on, many of the recruits were Locke’s. Cliff Ellis was the best I have seen at Clemson. He identified talent and won recruiting battles to bring them in. Unfortunately, he seemed to take every other year off in recruiting.

Dec 23, 2019, 12:02 PM

I have no disagreement with any of these points either. I was pretty young during the Foster era. It was obviously time to move on from Shyatt but I Brownell would have done even worse against the same circumstances. His ACC wins are the only reason he still has a job and they simply aren't as meaningful as they were for his predecessors.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to compete with the crap that Shyatt

Dec 22, 2019, 8:45 PM

put on the floor. But it's bad right now...real bad.

Been watching since we played in Fike & it's the worst***

Dec 22, 2019, 8:46 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me too. I remember having to sneak in Fike

Dec 23, 2019, 8:26 AM

through the windows behind the bleachers so I could see exciting games with the Mahaffeys, Sutherland, and guys not many remember like Ayoob and Helms in the mid-'60's.

Dec 22, 2019, 8:47 PM

What about the Bobby Roberts teams?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

Dec 23, 2019, 9:39 AM

That was when I started following BB. Sad, Sad!

Dec 22, 2019, 11:02 PM

As a 56 yr ole . This team by my memory is probably the 2nd worst if not the worst. Smh They can't shoot.

Dec 22, 2019, 11:02 PM

As a 56 yr ole . This team by my memory is probably the 2nd worst if not the worst. Smh They can't shoot.

Dec 22, 2019, 11:36 PM

See Larry Shyatt

Dec 23, 2019, 8:11 AM

My freshman year, 1970 - 1971 was pretty bad. We finished 9 - 17.

Tiger Band 70-74

Dec 23, 2019, 9:36 AM

At least the administration was doing something to change the situation then, I believe Tates Lock was hired to rectify that situation.

I attended from 77-81. This is worst I can recall

Dec 23, 2019, 8:22 AM

Yes, the Shyatt records were bad - but that was also during great ACC years and talent. The talent in the ACC is down and we are losing badly to untalented teams.

As to what a good coach can do with poor talent - think back to the “slab five”.
Rick Barnes took players that were predicted to be the worst ever at Clemson and won with them.

BB has lost everything. It is one thing to lose and another to be unwatchable. What exciting players will come to Clemson playing the style we do?
Adapt to the players we have. 5 guard, press the entire game, recruit all spud web size guys, I don’t care - just make it exciting to watch. DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!! What he is doing is not working.

And actually have a personality!

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I attended from 77-81. This is worst I can recall

Dec 23, 2019, 8:46 AM

I was there at the same time. Coach Foster had some teams with excitement at least. Nance, Moose, Billy William's. Ellis did too. We have no one that skilled now. Idk what happened. This is bad

Dec 23, 2019, 8:30 AM

I would agree! Been watching since the 70's

Some of Shyatt's teams were pretty bad***

Dec 23, 2019, 8:35 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Some of Shyatt's teams were pretty bad***

Dec 23, 2019, 9:22 AM

A revolving door of transfers in and out. Inability to develop raw big guys. Only a few fringe blue chip recruits over a 10 year span. A three guard offense without enough quality shooters. Yes, this is where the program has settled into.

The Slab Five were supposed to be bad, instead they left us with the hope things were turning around. Not this current team.

Dec 23, 2019, 9:33 AM

I'd have to concur. First team I followed in the late 60s went 4-20. I'd say with Brownell we've come full circle. I live in Savannah now and thankfully quit buying season tickets 2 years ago.

It's the worst I have seen since my freshman year of 1972.

Dec 23, 2019, 9:47 AM

That was the year before Tates Lockes first round of really good recruits came on the scene. The teams only claim to fame was that guard Bud Martin led the ACC in charging fouls taken. We had a truly inept big man at center named David Angel. Big, slow, and with a vertical leap seemingly similar to my own 12 inch high launch.

Today's team is much more athletic, but just as inept at putting ye olde ball through the basket. These kids have to have known how to shoot a basketball at some point to get recruited, but forgot how once they got here. We must have some truly terrible shooting drills to remove all their natural talent.

If the Websters Dictionary definition of insanity is doing things the same way over and over and yet expecting different results, then those in charge of our basketball program are truly, institutionally, insane. The only good news is that we will never be accused of "Clemsoning" on the basketball court, because there is apparently no team that we are really supposed to beat. That in itself is truly embarassing. It is beyond time for a change, but DRad and the BOT do not seem to care about basketball at all. *Sigh.* :(

Yes.***

Dec 23, 2019, 10:52 AM

Yes, and this is no longer on Brownell. As of

Dec 23, 2019, 1:23 PM

Yesterday, this is on Dan Radokovich. How long he lets this go on, will speak volumes about the significance of the basketball program. It can't get any worse, so now it's a matter of how long does it fester.

The atmosphere in Littlejohn before the redo was pretty dang good considering our history. Since the redo, Littlejohn is among the worst in college basketball. The seating of the teams, older fans at courtside and I'm old I can say that and it needs to be students, camera vantage points. Awful. Could have save millions as it was better before.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic