Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those of you who have tried and convicted Ed Snowden
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

For those of you who have tried and convicted Ed Snowden

Jul 8, 2013, 10:55 PM

in the court of public opinion without so much as seeing his video interview...do yourself a favor and take a second.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2013/jul/08/edward-snowden-video-interview

Afterwards, ask yourself this...how come we have not seen this interview on ANY major media outlet in the US? The silence speaks volumes.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For those of you who have tried and convicted Ed Snowden

Jul 8, 2013, 11:00 PM

the guy should be given a blindfold and shot

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seriously....

Jul 8, 2013, 11:03 PM

can we get an opinion of someone who connects with people more that 25%?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Seriously....

Jul 8, 2013, 11:23 PM

You need to understand what the NSA is trying to do. They are not collecting phone records for sh*ts and grins.

They are trying to find the next marathon terrorist before he can act.

The ends don't justify the means***

Jul 8, 2013, 11:31 PM

They are collecting any and everything***

Jul 8, 2013, 11:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Seriously.... ]

Honest question

Jul 8, 2013, 11:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Seriously.... ]

At what point does that motivation (which is noble, by the way, we all agree on that) come up short as reasoning for an action. Where is your line? Surely, not every action they could possibly undertake in the name of protecting us from terrorists would be ok with you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny, I was pro-Obama and anti-gun....now..

Jul 8, 2013, 11:01 PM

I am pro-gun and anti-Obama. ;)

I want the right to privacy, free speech, and to have guns. I want term-limits and campaign reform. I want a third party candidate who is willing to discuss more pressing matters than gay marriage.

I want us to value again what has always made America great - Life, LIBERTY, and the pursuit of happiness.

Re: Funny, I was pro-Obama and anti-gun....now..

Jul 8, 2013, 11:04 PM

You probably also don't want to live in a country where people that want to severely harm us can.

I am confused....

Jul 8, 2013, 11:09 PM

are you talking about the right to bear arms?

Are you saying that it is ok to take away the 2nd amendment in order to protect people?

Apparently they don't care about many amendments

Jul 8, 2013, 11:33 PM

Given their lack of concern with what the NSA is doing

Where does that line of reasoning end?

Jul 8, 2013, 11:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Funny, I was pro-Obama and anti-gun....now.. ]

You surely can't be of the opinion that any action taken in the name of keeping us safe is ok.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually I do

Jul 9, 2013, 12:35 AM [ in reply to Re: Funny, I was pro-Obama and anti-gun....now.. ]

There are many countries where terrorists are completely mitigated. North Korea and China come to mind. An essential part of freedom is a lack of security. You can not have a free country where terrorists are not a threat. The mechanisms to prevent terrorism are the same used to deny freedom and establish tyranny. It will take more than a 911 for me to give up my freedom.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i would rather die free.

Jul 9, 2013, 9:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Funny, I was pro-Obama and anti-gun....now.. ]

but thats just me.

With freedom comes responsibility and risk.

The risk is WELL worth the reward.

enslaving hundreds of millions of Americans is not worth the few dead in Boston, or the 22 dead children in Newton etc.

Freedom is much more important. That is GOAL of terrorism; to make us change the way we live. They are succeeding in SPADES.

Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither***

Jul 9, 2013, 10:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Funny, I was pro-Obama and anti-gun....now.. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS!!

unless you'd trust ed with the playbook ----> lunge.

Jul 8, 2013, 11:04 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lounge? Guess you have equal access to edits. hehe***

Jul 8, 2013, 11:05 PM

no, lunge, juonge, that place where she told mommy the bad

Jul 8, 2013, 11:06 PM

man touched her. the lunge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For those of you who have tried and convicted Ed Snowden

Jul 8, 2013, 11:20 PM

He tried and convicted himself by admitting to egregious violations of federal law. Public opinion has nothing to do with it.

He is by his own admission guilty of releasing classified material with the intent of causing damage to the US.

He is going to accept asylum in Venezuela, where he will be forced to stay indoors with an army of guards. A step or two outside a secure setting and local criminals will kidnap him with plans to smuggle him into Colombia and sell him to US intelligence.

so what say you ...

Jul 9, 2013, 12:31 AM

about what the NSA is doing...

How about the lack of media coverage of this interview?

None of this worries you at all?

Ive always thought the damage from 911 would be worse

Jul 9, 2013, 1:16 AM

than 911 itself. The greatest damage from 911 was not several thousand deaths, but the heightened willingness to allow our freedoms to be subjugated in the name of security by those who are in power. The worst abuses of power the world has ever known has almost always come about as the result of good intentions of protecting the citizens and promoting safety.

We're a democracy now, almost a pure one, with a centralized federal government that has absolute control over the states. We are no longer a republic. Our Constitution is barely a shadow of the guide it once was. Those in power see it as an impediment, preventing us from being safe and secure. There are but a handful of Congressmen in Washington left who regularly seek to limit the federal government, and they are castigated and ostracized by their opponents and by their own party.

We live in a nation that is lead by those who seek power. They do this by making you think you are dependent on them, and by promoting programs to make you dependent on them. There are now over 100 million Americans...almost a third of the country, depending on the government for food. And they are more than happy to feed you for your vote. There are more people getting food assistance than there are people working. And they then want you to depend on them for your health care. For decades they have run our schools, so they educate you as well. That is working out great.

All of these things are being done with good intentions. We want everyone well fed, educated, and healthy. But when you allow those in power to do that, and allow yourself to depend on them, that's that much LESS freedom you have as an individual.

So what do food stamps, obamacare, and public schools have to do with the NSA? A lot. You can't have the freedom to succeed if you don't have the freedom to fail. And go you can't have the freedom from unureasonable search and seizure without the danger of a terrorist attach. You can't have the freedom to own a gun and defend yourself without having the danger of being shot. Freedom isn't free.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not much relying on public opinion here

Jul 8, 2013, 11:50 PM

I took the same oath he did. He, for reasons of conscience, broke his oath.

I don't think he is, at all, a traitor. I also think that any reasonable system should take into account the reasoning behind these actions before branding someone that way.

However, is there any argument that he broke a law and his oath to his country? I'm not sure that's a matter of opinion here.

You could argue that Obama, and even Bush

Jul 9, 2013, 1:27 AM

Violated their oath to the Constitution. The oath is not to protect and defend the citizens, it is to protect and defend the Constitution. What the NSA is doing is a violation of the 4th Amendment. The NSA is a part of the executive branch, and is directed and controlled by the President. And, likewise, you could argue that Snowden was keeping his oath to protect and defend the Constitution.

If he was protecting the Constitution, he could do that...

Jul 9, 2013, 7:01 AM

from the US.

Going to China and Russia is not protecting the US or the Constitution. I don't think anyone can honestly say he wouldn't get a fair trial here.

Fact is, if he was confident he didn't break the law, he wouldn't have fled to our enemies.

The guy that leaked the pentagon papers and stayed in 1971 disagrees

Jul 9, 2013, 9:48 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/daniel-ellsberg-nsa-leaker-snowden-made-the-right-call/2013/07/07/0b46d96c-e5b7-11e2-aef3-339619eab080_story.html

So he didn't get a fair trial?***

Jul 9, 2013, 1:46 PM

I don't care as much about what he's saying but rather....

Jul 9, 2013, 6:57 AM

where he's saying it and who he's saying it to.

The claim that he couldn't get a fair trial in the US is a joke and anyone with any sense knows it.

He is much closer to a traitor than a whistle-blower in my estimation.

And, FWIW, I do not support the NSA collecting metadata on every phone call made.

The guy that leaked the pentagon papers and stayed in 1971 disagrees

Jul 9, 2013, 9:49 AM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/daniel-ellsberg-nsa-leaker-snowden-made-the-right-call/2013/07/07/0b46d96c-e5b7-11e2-aef3-339619eab080_story.html

So he didn't get a fair trial?***

Jul 9, 2013, 1:45 PM

You read the article?

Jul 9, 2013, 5:07 PM

It basically said he did get a fair trial, but he didn't believe he would get one today. For example, he was released from jail on bond and was allowed to talk to the media and continue his protests/efforts. That would never happen today.

I find that hard to believe....

Jul 10, 2013, 9:02 AM

For sure he would have a bond set...although it may be high. And why does being able to continue the acts that he was arrested for equate to a fair trial.

Anything other than telling him to stop talking about it until the case is settled would be stupid.

However, the media and alternate media is much different today than back then. I say there MORE of a chance for a fair shake today than in the 60's/70's.

And that's the point I'm making and the article did little to dissuade me.

I think he should be honored and welcomed as a hero

Jul 9, 2013, 10:49 AM

For having the guts to stand up to the machine. I am so sick of people fearing 'the terrorist' I have much higher odds of being struck by lightening 3 times in a year that being killed by some barbarian in a nightgown from the middle east.

ed-i don't want to live in a aworld with everthing recorded

Jul 9, 2013, 2:26 PM

us gov't-done

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic