Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For those of you who do not want to leave..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

For those of you who do not want to leave..

May 23, 2012, 2:58 PM

I understand that the major concern is traveling to Big XII territory. I hope that if we do make the move that other ACC schools (GT,Miami,etc) are part of future expansion to ease this issue. But my question to those wanting to stay in the ACC is how do we compete with USuC in the future? They have a pretty substantial financial advantage right now and it is starting to show. I think this issue only gets worse in the years to come. We have dominated this series way too long to all of a sudden become the little brother in the state... I don't know about yall, but I am sick and tired of this streak they are on. So how else do you propose we fix this problem?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For those of you who do not want to leave..

May 23, 2012, 3:18 PM

Step 1: Continue to recruit 4 and 5 star talent and pay for the best coaches we can get to coach them into even better players and men.

More 4/5 star talents in + great coaching = more championships/more NFL players/more NFL players that want to give back to their university.

Step 2: Continue to increase the size of the school (for the past few years, in order to bring in more money due to budget cuts, we have accepted more and more people).

More graduates = more Clemson fans/more Clemson fans with solid education/more Clemson fans with big wallets/more money to the school and athletic department.

Step 3: Become elite in the conference we are in (Big 12, ACC, Your Mama's Football Conference, etc.)

More eliteness (yay new word!) = more recognition on ESPN/more non-Clemson-grad fans/more money to athletic program

That is an excellent response. Much of that has been ongoing

May 23, 2012, 3:55 PM

now for several years. I see a beautiful work in progress with Clemson football, and basketball, and no conference affiliation is going to change that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2012, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: For those of you who do not want to leave.. ]

Regarding Step 1.

I think we need to recruit the best coaches and pay the 4 & 5 star recruits.

May 23, 2012, 3:28 PM

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I don't understand the argument that SC wins over the past 3 years have been the result of more money. It's easy to make that correlation, but I would like for someone to explain EXACTLY in a logical manner how the extra money, better facilities etc. has created the wins. The only connection that I can see is more money = better facilities = better recruits, BUT this logic doesn't pan out when you look at the rankings of the recruiting classes. Please help me understand.

Clap! Clap! Clap!***

May 23, 2012, 3:40 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spurrier learned how to beat Kevin Steele's defense (he does

May 23, 2012, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Re: For those of you who do not want to leave.. ]

possess some offensive know-how) and force our offense to play from behind. 37 minutes time of possession last year. No wonder we were gassed at the end. That plus all the 1st down QB runs. 35-25 TOP the year before that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 23, 2012, 5:46 PM [ in reply to Re: For those of you who do not want to leave.. ]

Your general correlation of more money = better facilities= better players is a good start. It will eventually show in coaching pay as well. Yes, I know clemson has highly paid assistants but as the dollars continue to roll in over time from SEC money it will continue to get more and more difficult for clemson. Also, stop putting some much emphasis on recruiting rankings. All fan bases, looking for some type of trash talk position grab onto anything. These recruiting services are hit and miss. Even when they are right, the kid has to get into school, stay in school and they have to be developed. Miss any one of these factors and it spells trouble. Anyone who thinks money doesn't offer significant advantages, not only in sports but in any business, is mislead. You bring up a great point and question, the rest of the responses in this thread are either from kids, those who are naive or simply talking smack about the history of the SC-clemson series. Your concerns are real and the decisions clemson faces are serious.

Anybody who puts travel to away game before Clemson's

May 23, 2012, 3:36 PM

welfare has some messed up priorities.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly right - they've stepped up to a competitive.....

May 23, 2012, 3:47 PM

conference and now are a much better program as a result. If we don't do the same we risk being in a conference that's going to be more and more in the background in major college football.

Becoming second to Carolina in football is impossible to accept - that should motivate our BOT to do the right thing if nothing else does.

May 23, 2012, 3:49 PM

The travel is not the only major concern.

- Texas owns the Big XII - it'll be like Swofford 2.0
- No more fun rivalries with fan bases that actually live around here. I love talking trash with GT, FSU, and UNC fans. I don't know a single Oklahoma or Texas fan.
- Chances of us being irrelevant nationally by consistently going 9-4 or 8-5 and not winning titles goes up by a significant margin

Feel free to TD away. I know anything opposing the hivemind's desire to move to the Big XII gets TD to oblivion, so I guess I'm asking for it...

May 23, 2012, 3:50 PM

clemson will never be the little brother in this state. that 09 recruiting class (gilmore and jeffery switch to sc late for instance while we sign only 12) and their defensive coordinator have been the difference in the past years. not finances. heck, our football facilities alone are much better than theirs are. clemson will be back to dominating them little chickens very soon.

I'd prefer to STOP PLAYING the coots!!!

May 23, 2012, 4:05 PM

I can't stand listening to the coot trolls on this board over the past three years. I could care less about playing the chickens and subjecting the Tigers to that pit in Columbia every other year.

"Enough is enough, and I have had enough of..." Think Samuel L. Jackson's infamous quote in the movie "Snakes On A Plane"!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Fix the problem?

May 23, 2012, 4:24 PM

Get out of the ACC, stat! I am so looking fwd to telling the tobacco rd schools to esad....been waiting over 40 years.

Outscore them.

May 23, 2012, 4:24 PM

Clemson will always have an advantage over USuC when it comes to recruiting, fan support, and image regardless of what conference banner we fly, if we fly one at all. Their new AD simply took their facilities out of the stone age and gave the place a nice sheen. It's been more attractive to kids these past few years, but eventually we all come to learn what's underneath. The ACC's TV media rights these past ten years have been pretty close to the SEC's. We had the biggest contract for a while there. Hyman came in with a plan to raise a lot of money from alumni and endowments, plus government bonds, and go on a building spree. That wasn't extra TV money during that period it was fundraising.

Re: Outscore them.

May 23, 2012, 5:29 PM

what has been our advantage the last 3 years?

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic