Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For serious debate ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,280

For serious debate ...

Oct 7, 2019, 11:34 AM

This thought hit me watching games this weekend ...

When the trailing team has the ball and and are driving with seconds left, the officials go into overdrive to get the ball spotted quickly and ready for play. They don't do this during the earlier part of the game.

Why are officials seemingly complicit in helping the offense / trailing team vs the defense / leading team?

It seems to be a bit unfair to me

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They do.. when the coaches let them know

Oct 7, 2019, 11:39 AM

Watch the CFU games. They run a lot of no sub , hurry up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: For serious debate ...

Oct 7, 2019, 11:42 AM

Astute observation! Plus one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 11:58 AM

I agree that much like a strike zone, the refs should move with the same sense of urgency throughout the game. The pace shouldn't change.

Here's my peeve. The offense substitutes. The Defense then is allowed to substitute. As the D is exchanging players, the ref moves away from the ball. The O snaps it and catches a "12th" defender on the field, usually as he's sprinting off.

The ref shouldn't allow the ball to snap until the defense has completed their substitution. They shouldn't get to walk off the field, but they shouldn't be required to beat their 40 time either to get off the field. If the O substitutes late in the play clock, it shouldn't be a delay of game on the D because now they are forced to adjust late.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 12:07 PM

I think it has more to do with the offense's tempo, i.e. the tempo of the offense will drive the tempo of the referees spotting the ball.

Think back to when we started running the HUNH and we were aiming to run 80+ plays. The play would end, and our entire offense would be getting to the LOS as soon as possible, and the ball would generally be spotted quicker. However, a team that huddles pre-snap, the refs do not need to be in a hurry to spot the ball.

Interesting observation, but my guess would be it's all dictated by the offense, and of course, time of game, score, etc. plays a part as well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not positive, but I don't think the clock stops

Oct 7, 2019, 5:00 PM

until there're 5 minutes left in each quarter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,280
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic