Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For everyone talking about cutting ties
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 3,555

For everyone talking about cutting ties

Aug 15, 2019, 12:19 PM

With carriers, I just literally cut my cable which was only one inch deep. No TV, phone or internet until they come to fix it- thinking 14 days or less?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For everyone talking about cutting ties

Aug 15, 2019, 12:21 PM

You did realize that we were not speaking literally - right? You're allowed to ask questions here if you're confused. :)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For everyone talking about cutting ties***

Aug 15, 2019, 12:24 PM

Re: For everyone talking about cutting ties***

Aug 15, 2019, 12:26 PM

Now you tell me - as you can see, posting with cellphone is not my strength

Aug 15, 2019, 12:44 PM

Weeellllll-1st they have a service guy come out to look and says "Yup-your cable is cut" Then-"I'll have to fill out a work order to have that fixed" 2 weeks later a group of non english speaking hispanics come to your house with a ditch witch. The utilities have been marked but the grouchy old white guy foreman who speaks no spanish doesn't tell them what those marks are. I get home, look out a back window-yell "Holy s***-stop!" only to be greated by the big "POW!" where they cut the electric line. Then the Duke Power guy comes out and he's PO'D because they took out like 2 neighborhoods and he had to go flip on the secondary breakers which numbered over 30. He fixed the electric line (Very good cusser I may say. His inflections were priceless). The Charter pro's threw the cable line on the ground, draped it over a fence and a service guy connected it. 6 months later after calling a dozen times, Charter finally came and buried the cable with a hand shovel-a freaking hand shovel!

Sorry-but hopefully you'll do better. If they don't speak english, do not let them on your property. Nothing against Hispanic workers at all(In fact, they are a hard working, non complaining bunch of folks) but this is one of those times where communication is essential. If the foreman acts like his IQ will never surpass 2 digits, don't let him on either.Grouchy redneck speak and Spanish just don't do the trick.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Splice it yourself in the meantime..

Aug 15, 2019, 1:18 PM

Steve the plastic outer coating off.. peel the copper wires back...peel off just enough inner coating and electric tape that bad boy together

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Splice it yourself in the meantime..

Aug 15, 2019, 1:32 PM

Yep that's what I did when I rototilled a line the dumass' didn't mark....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That won't stop the cable person from leaving

Aug 15, 2019, 2:29 PM

A big one sticker on your mailbox saying

Call before you dig.

I aerate my lawn...so I just bury the cable line myself to make sure it is at least 6 inch deep

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Aug 15, 2019, 1:27 PM

Clover, I did the same thing several years ago and it is possible to splice it back together temporarily.

There is a solid copper wire in the center insulated by a plastic coating. Outside of that, there is a woven aluminum shield with another layer of insulation outside of that. Strip back the outer insulation, then the woven shield (strip it back and do not remove it) and then strip back the insulation around the solid copper wire. Hopefully you can get a little slack so you can twist the two ends of the copper wire together. Then wrap it tightly with electrical tape. Pull the woven shielding over the tape so that the two ends make good contact and wrap this with electrical tape.

If you cannot get enough slack to twist the copper wires together, get a short piece of copper wire from Lowes or somewhere to splice in between.

I did this and surprisingly it worked with no degradation of quality until it could be repaired properly.

Aug 15, 2019, 4:12 PM

The braided wire is nothing but a shield to keep noise from interfering with the signal. After you wrap the center conductor with electrical tape wrap aluminum foil around the cable. I would also tape over the outer shield to keep moisture from getting in there. This should get you cable back until the service technician can fix it permanently. IF it's fiber which if it's going to your house it's very unlikely you'll have to wait until the technician fixes it. Unless you know someone that is Fiber trained and has the tools.

***Is it fiber, copper or coax?*********

Aug 15, 2019, 3:03 PM

You should be able to fix that yourself pretty easily

Aug 15, 2019, 3:18 PM

if it's coax. They make screw on connectors.

You can buy the same systen the tech will use to repair...

Aug 15, 2019, 6:34 PM

that line at the Walmart. It's a lot more shabby and light weight tham the pros uses but it carries the signal just as well. It might cost you 10 bucks if you spring for some good electrical tape to try and make it water proof.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2019, 7:16 PM

If your waiting on ATTUverse, probably a couple of years but you'll continue to be billed monthly-

Isn't it sad that you pay SO much & have to repair yourself....

Aug 15, 2019, 7:42 PM

Last time I had Charter, I got home after the install to find the unburied cable on top of the ground/grass. Called & they said a different crew would come out & bury it. That took 6 months - and didn't get done until my umpteenth call to them when I BLEW UP at them! Meanwhile, I had to have my son come over & HOLD THE CABLE UP so I wouldn't cut the cable with the mower each time. Ridiculous.

Thanks to everyone for the advice

Aug 15, 2019, 7:52 PM

Been so busy with other stuff that I just now got time to read responses . And miracle of miracles, a cable guy spliced the line while I was at Walmart. Now we will see how long before it is buried- hope they get it more than an inch deep this time

Replies: 15
| visibility 3,555
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic