Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For about 10 minutes on the CFP selection show...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

For about 10 minutes on the CFP selection show...

Nov 20, 2018, 8:07 PM

they were literally debating about chaos scenarios where Georgia or LSU with 2 losses can jump everyone else to make the top 4.

I would say I am shocked but I am not. I am about sick and tired of ESPN and their love affair with the SEC.

I know I am preaching to the choir here. In the end all I am worried about is Clemson taking care of business the next 2 weeks and everything will work out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the same can be said for the big10 lovefest osu/mich***

Nov 20, 2018, 8:10 PM

Re: For about 10 minutes on the CFP selection show...

Nov 20, 2018, 8:11 PM

I hope Michigan and Notre Dame keep right on plugging away

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2018, 8:12 PM

Do they have a love affair with UCF as well since they did the same for them? You can see bias everywhere if you’re always looking for it.

Nov 20, 2018, 8:18 PM

I’m VERY thankful for ESPN. They have don’t a great service for Clemson University. Coast to coast my Tigers Are known by all. Imagine what our great recruiting would be like without the publicity we receive FOR FREE!

They actually were having UCF go undefeated...

Nov 20, 2018, 8:21 PM [ in reply to Re: For about 10 minutes on the CFP selection show... ]

and still get jumped by a 2 loss Georgia or a 2 loss LSU

Even after UCF won their conference championship. I know it's a weak conference but that's not the debate at the moment.

So they gave no love to UCF in that stretch of 10 minutes of the show.

They would rather have LSU play Alabama (again) or Georgia play Alabama (for the second time after the SEC Championship game)

Nov 20, 2018, 8:25 PM

It's obvious how ESPN is but you can't tell me that there isn't some mysterious SEC influence in the CFP Committee Room too. There is no way a 2 loss LSU, that can't score against a Defense with a pulse, should be in the top 10. They are just keeping them alive in case there is some kind scenario that could ppsdibly keep the SEC out of the playoffs.
i.e. Georgia losses to GA Tech (2 losses), Alabama loses to Auburn and then losses to GA (2 losses). Now LSU is ranked high and Alabama can get in with 2 losses since they beat them. What a conspiracy?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2018, 9:08 PM

I personally think LSU has had a fair share of luck fall their way this season, and they aren’t as good as their ranking, but their SOS is the best among the top 10 teams, and they’re 6th in SOR.

Also, one thing I can’t get past with all the thoughts of “people are trying to help the SEC” is what is the motivation of everyone to do so? The playoff committee includes school presidents and former coaches of non SEC schools...why would they want to make sure the SEC is taken care of?

LSU is also in the top 10 in the AP and Coaches Polls which includes media members and coaches from all over the country. Why would some coach or media member out West vote a school from the SEC high just to help a conference they aren’t apart of?

The same is true of ESPN. They have employees with backgrounds including schools from many non SEC conferences. Why would they care to talk up the SEC? And if your thought is ESPN makes them then wouldn’t you think one of the many former ESPN employees would have come out by now and said ESPN used to make them say things about the SEC they didn’t believe?

Nov 20, 2018, 10:06 PM

Say it louder for the ones in the back on the room. I couldn't have said it any better. This whole conspiracy garbage is getting ridiculous. They heck with what they rank anybody else but Clemson. As long as our Tigers take care of business then what does it matter?

Nov 20, 2018, 11:53 PM [ in reply to Re: For about 10 minutes on the CFP selection show... ]

Well said man.

They better hope that type of scenario does not

Nov 20, 2018, 8:29 PM

occur. I do not believe the present structure of the CFP will survive, if a perception of bias toward the SEC arises.

Idealistically, the best four teams should be selected, but there is a growing belief in an SEC bias originating from artificially high rankings by the media in preseason polls. A false sense of strength in scheduling prevails, as these ranked teams beat each other. I read recently that officials within the Big 10 are already citing such, muttering ominous warnings of Big 10 withdrawal from the CFP. And if that happens, I'd expect the Big 12 and Pac 12 to follow.

I suspected as much when plans were being made for the CFP, and, hence, why I favored an eight team playoff. That format would also allow for the inclusion of a UCF, and if they can beat three Power 5 teams, then give them the trophy, by God.

Frankly, I like SEC football...always have, and I wish Clemson were a member. As for the CFP, perception is a key word...perception. If one or more conferences perceive a latent bias, which is largely media-driven, then there is going to be problems...big problems.

God help the Committee, for with the current rankings, their job henceforth will be ominous.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They better hope that type of scenario does not

Nov 20, 2018, 9:15 PM

Yeah...the Big 10 is going to withdraw and give up all that money. That sounds like the same sort of thought of when many kept saying Clemson and FSU were going to the Big 12. The SEC has gotten 2 teams in once, and that 2nd team got in over a 2 loss Ohio State team that had 2 blowout losses including a 30 point loss at home to a 6 win team.

That’s not about being left out due to another team being overrated. That’s about being left out because your conference champion didn’t take care of business. And if Georgia and Bama didn’t deserve to be in last year then why didn’t either one of them lose their first round games?

I don't disagree with your thinking, my Friend. My point

Nov 20, 2018, 9:58 PM

refers to perceptions.

How is the CFP perceived? Alabama and Georgia may well have deserved to be included last year. There could possibly be two SEC teams again this year. Regardless, a bad perception may arise, leading to major problems.

Oddly enough, I tend toward optimism; as for the CFP in its current structure...I am in doubt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: last year's choice of 2 SEC teams was correct because of their success

Nov 20, 2018, 11:59 PM [ in reply to Re: They better hope that type of scenario does not ]

You can't justify a decision based on its results. We do it all the time, but in hindsight we see exactly what we want to see because hypothetical cannot be compared with reality after the fact.

The committee is not charged with choosing the 4 best teams. Nor are they charged with selecting the 4 teams who have the best chances to win it all. They are charged with selecting the 4 most deserving teams.

Last year only 3 teams deserved to be in. They selected one at-large team who managed to play better in the CFP than they had in their final 2 regular season games. I thought their decision was the correct one, but it sickened me that a team that couldn't even win their state won another national title, after so many more deserving teams blew their CCGs.

This year we may have more than 4 deserving teams. That should not allow the SC to vault an undeserving team into the top 4, regardless of resume.

The SC has long said that the CCG is a qualification game. To lose a CCG is to be left out of the CFP. The spin doctors have been arguing against that all season because they want to stir the #*$#. Fine, let them stir, but the cooks are still the SC.

Unfortunately, the SC may not be consistent in their decision making process with previous SCs because they have a lot of new members.

Meanwhile the CFP committee actually discussed CU over Bama

Nov 20, 2018, 8:54 PM

The committee is all that counts ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2018, 8:57 PM

Teams is the answer IMO.

Talk of LSU and

Nov 20, 2018, 9:19 PM

they are 2.5 point under-dog to Texas A&M this week _______say what ????

Vegas doesn't have a bias

Nov 20, 2018, 11:13 PM

That should tell people something

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2018, 9:20 PM

Top 4 win out and it's a non-issue. I believe there's a high probability of just that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 20, 2018, 11:59 PM

To me - the more logical explanation as to why ESPN would discuss chaos situations for ten minutes lies in the entertainment value. They have to create a storyline and create suspense else no one cares to watch. And the fact that it’s Georgia or LSU, to me, is simply due to the fact that those two teams happen to be ones who could actually get in with these chaos situations occurring.

Also - imagine how many Georgia and LSU fans are out there watching ESPN? I think there’s an element of “who is your audience” and that has to be taken into account as to what is covered in the airtime of their shows. Which definitely does come down to money and what is going to help ESPN continue to prosper.

One interesting thing I’ve noted is how Clemson has sort of appeared to be not talked about as much - and what gets airtime is these silly “how can Washington state or LSU make the playoffs?”. I think it’s cause we’ve been there and done that and sort of earned the right of being so consistent that’s it doesn’t necessarily provide entertainment value to talk about how Clemson is again dominant. It’s like it’s “boring” which is a good place for our program to be.

Just my thoughts.

They're over us....

Nov 21, 2018, 5:36 AM

It became obvious early in the season (even before) that ESPN's fascination with Clemson was over. Alabama is Alabama, of course, and that never gets old HA! but they've seen what we can do and they're ready to move on to a new story.

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic