Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Swinney tired of "Clemsoning" talk
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Football Update: Swinney tired of "Clemsoning" talk

Sep 26, 2013, 10:20 AM

Swinney tired of "Clemsoning" talk

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So much win!!! I hope this sound bit reaches Jesse Palmer

Sep 26, 2013, 10:30 AM

before the GT home game!!

FACE Palmer! to Jesse...research before airtime moron!***

Sep 26, 2013, 11:11 AM

Re: Football Update: Swinney tired of "Clemsoning" talk

Sep 26, 2013, 11:21 AM

This really needs to get to Jesse. He's a joke, and should be forced to acknowledge getting called out by a respected coach of the #3 team in the country.

How he keeps his job is beyond me. Come on Tiger fans, let's not let him continue to get away with this lazy BS he puts out every Thursday night!!!

Sep 26, 2013, 11:38 AM

Dabo nailed this one. He backed his talk up with hard facts which is something Jessie Palmer can't or won't do, and it makes us look even better and Palmer look even worse (if that's possible). Sadly most of the fans watching Palmer are sec homers, so they don't even bother to know many facts.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the best thing we can do

Sep 26, 2013, 11:44 AM

is keep using the word 'palmering' in a derogatory manor and hope it goes viral across the sports world.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Already on urban dictionary twice***

Sep 26, 2013, 11:56 AM

Re: Already on urban dictionary twice***

Sep 26, 2013, 12:22 PM

One of the best definitions ever:

Palmering:

1. Being universally disliked and totally inept at one's job, yet still hold a prominent and public position. 2. To be inexplicably successful despite obvious lack of intelligence, talent, and public goodwill.

Jesse Palmer (Former Florida quarterback and Bachelor contestant)'s position as an ESPN analyst, despite total ineptitude and near universal dislike by sports fans was the catalyst for this term.

After inheriting the family business, Johnny really palmered, spending most of his time goofing off and contributing little to the company, much to the chagrin of the shareholders.

Nickleback spent years palmering their way to the top of the charts.

Just never lose again. I think we all can handle that!

Sep 26, 2013, 12:52 PM [ in reply to I think the best thing we can do ]

Anybody opposed to that? Let's just do it and shut everybody up.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think the best thing we can do

Sep 26, 2013, 1:22 PM [ in reply to I think the best thing we can do ]

Exactly, like Palmering meaning a loser.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2013, 11:47 AM

You make Dabo mad and he wont call off the horses when we could score 60 but normally stop at 40.

I brought up an argument to my wife we had 1 1/2 years ago

Sep 26, 2013, 11:51 AM

She said, "Stop Palmering"

Upvote for coach Swinney. That's a great response.***

Sep 26, 2013, 12:05 PM

Dabo right but it's only been 1.25 seasons since WVU debacle

Sep 26, 2013, 12:56 PM

Dabo makes some great points, and I hope Jesse Palmer, et al shut up about "Clemsoning", but it's not just Jesse Palmer that clings to that perception-- it's most college football fans across the country. After over a decade of "Clemsoning" it's going to take more than just 1.25 seasons of not "Clemsoning" in order to change the national perception.

It wasn't that long ago (January of 2012) that on national TV, Clemson pulled one of the most unforgettable, disgraceful "Clemsonings" of all time-- getting spanked 70-33, by a lowly, less-talented Big East underdog (that went 4-4 the following year in league play after joining the Big 12). People don't forget stuff like that quickly. And earlier that season a far-more-talented, high-flying Clemson team got upset by underdogs GT & NCSU (and took a pretty good licking from a comparably-talented SCar team). And all of that was after a talented Clemson team went 6-7, losing to several underdogs. And that was after a 2009 season that included too many upsets. And that was after over a decade of West/Bowden "Clemsoning" that culminated in Tommy Bowden getting fired mid-season after a nationally televised spanking by Alabama and a major upset by Wake Forest.

People can accept the occasional upset, but in the years prior to the 2012 season, Clemson has had more than its fair share, which has cemented the national perception. Clemson needs to put together a few more seasons like 2012 before that national perception fades... Or one BCS national championship this year would do the trick!

I hope we don't pull a "WVU"...

Sep 26, 2013, 1:34 PM

and become completely irrelevant the season immediately following a big bowl win against a higher ranked opponent.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WVU's & Utah's demise coincided w/joining a big boy league.***

Sep 26, 2013, 11:12 PM

Re: Dabo right but it's only been 1.25 seasons since WVU debacle

Sep 26, 2013, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Dabo right but it's only been 1.25 seasons since WVU debacle ]

All true statements Razz, but this 'national perception among fans' of which you speak is likely a result of fans parroting what they hear from the media. Don't you agree that many fans/people cannot think for themselves and have to be told what to think? Same as politics in my opinion. So maybe if the Jesse Palmers of the world would ####, the perception would die out.

Tally

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Knowledgeable CFB fans know Clemson's rep w/o Jesse Palmer.

Sep 27, 2013, 12:01 AM

Less knowledgeable fans are probably informed and influenced by commentators like Jesse Palmer-- so it's definitely not helpful for us. But I've been hearing the underperforming, upset-prone stuff about Clemson from knowledgeable CFB fans since long before the commentators started saying it more recent years.

It's like VT's national perception as a good team that chokes on the big stage. It doesn't matter what the commentators say. If you watch a lot of CFB, a team's tendencies start to stick in your head.

How many underdogs did we really lose to in 2010?

Sep 26, 2013, 2:17 PM [ in reply to Dabo right but it's only been 1.25 seasons since WVU debacle ]

That team was not that good, especially after Ellington went down. We actually pulled off an upset of a better team (NCSU) and nearly two more (@Auburn, @FSU) while losing a few games to teams that finished with similar or better records than our own.

Clemson lost to 4 underdogs, UNC, NCSU, BC, & USF in 2010.

Sep 26, 2013, 11:45 PM

Clemson was 4 point favorite vs. NCSU.http://www.point-spreads.com/college-football/110610-north-carolina-state-at-clemson-2010-college-football-picks.html

Clemson was 6.5 point favorite vs. BC.
http://forum.askthebookie.com/college-football-handicapping/clemson-vs-boston-college-10-30-2010-a-1933.html

Clemson was 5.5 point favorite vs. USF.
http://touthouse.com/sports-betting/south-florida-vs-clemson-pick-point-spread-betting-trends-december-31st-2010.html

Following are the only six 2-deep analyses that I think STS did for Clemson in 2010, but you can see that from a recruited-talent-on-the-2-deep perspective, nobody really out-talented Clemson by any significant margin though Clemson significantly out-talented teams that beat Clemson.

South Carolina:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/6/14/2214467/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-south-carolina-2010

GT:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/5/31/2197286/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-georgia-tech-2010

BC:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/5/24/2182690/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-boston-college-2010

FSU:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/5/17/2170690/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-florida-state-2010

Auburn:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2011/5/10/2135832/two-deep-recruiting-comparison-clemson-vs-auburn-2010

USF:
http://www.shakinthesouthland.com/2010/12/22/1890972/two-deep-talent-recruiting-comparison-clemson-and-usf

But "Clemsoning" or "Pulling a Clemson" is much more

Sep 26, 2013, 12:58 PM

than merely losing a ball game. Yes, like all teams, Clemson will lose ball games. But "Clemsoning" et al, is about losing to a team you are expected to whip. That is what Clemson fans are sick and tired of. Dabo has done a great job in stopping that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Personally...

Sep 26, 2013, 3:07 PM

I can see the argument from both
sides,but we do get tired of hearing
that, I suppose.

What to do about it...WIN!! On a high level.
Not just 1 game. Plus, its football life in
the ACC.

Anyways....

Recruiting version of a Clemson

Sep 26, 2013, 3:51 PM

I called in to Bill King's talk radio show this morning to talk about recruiting. The analyst had some interesting things to say, like he thinks we're in great shape to land a 5* OT from Florida. He said that the recruiting version of pulling a Clemson is them going into your state and signing 5 star talent you thought you were going to get.

He also said that he thought that the "on the field" version of that phrase was "ridiculous".

That was my understand as well and I would argue

Sep 26, 2013, 11:19 PM [ in reply to But "Clemsoning" or "Pulling a Clemson" is much more ]

The USC loss last year fits the mold. We came into Death Valley with a backup QB and a third string running back.

I doubt there is a clemson fan who wouldn't have thought clemson would win big if they knew that going into last season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Palmer is a disciple of Spurrier

Sep 26, 2013, 1:16 PM

Explains a lot...

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Sep 26, 2013, 1:18 PM

Clearly Tommy Bowden has left the building....

He's using it as a positive here and creating even more of

Sep 26, 2013, 1:57 PM

a chip on shoulder for our guys.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Help change the urban dictionary

Sep 26, 2013, 1:59 PM

In case any of you missed this board topic today...Lets all do our part.

Go Tigers!!

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=1271675&tstart=0

don't help perpetuate the myth

Sep 26, 2013, 2:39 PM

by trying to address the issue you are only lending credibility to it. Best thing to do is to ignore it completely and it will eventually die. Unfortunately, we can't help ourselves in this regard because we have a passionate, defensive fan base with a passionate, defensive coach. The energy expended is serving to blow it up even more.

That said, I will commence a virtual fasting, and promise to neither consume nor reference these outlandish terms ever again.

Is there a way to request that Jesse Palmer not be assigned

Sep 26, 2013, 3:28 PM

to our games? I mean there is a difference in being a color commentator and commenting on what is happening on the field or being just another member of the peanut gallery that just happens to have a microphone. I felt like I was listening to a frat guy from South Carolina that got into the booth. A conference, and school should be able to expect more than that from a television partner.

Re: Is there a way to request that Jesse Palmer not be assigned

Sep 26, 2013, 3:30 PM

U are absolutely right.. he should never do another game; especially an ACC game

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2013, 3:45 PM

Thank you Dabo!! Sick of hearing it too and it's time the media talk about the good things happening with this program and let go of stuff from 2-3 yrs ago. Teams get upset every wend so why do they continually think it's just a deal if it happens to Clemson? Big positive from all the talk is that now we have new definition of "Clemsoning" all over Facebook and it is now a positive term instead of negative. GO DABO AND TIGERS!!

"Palmering"

Sep 26, 2013, 6:03 PM

This guy at work constantly embellishing his stories with lies and exagerations, I finally just had to yell, "STOP PALMERING"!

Give 'em both barrels, Dabo!***

Sep 26, 2013, 11:15 PM

I'm tired of it too.

Sep 26, 2013, 11:39 PM

Pure BS.

Floriding or THUGAing make better sense.

Has the OBC ever had a true back-up QB

Sep 27, 2013, 12:08 AM

Since Thompson has been there he is the closest thing the visor had ever had to his wet dream of a dual-qb system. And prior to that game I had heard several coots say that they thought that "3rd string" RB was the best on your roster. These statements really hold no weight.

Re: Has the OBC ever had a true back-up QB

Sep 27, 2013, 12:23 AM

No one has ever believed Kenny Miles was the best running back on our roster last year. It sounds like your statements don't hold much weight.

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Re: Has the OBC ever had a true back-up QB

Sep 27, 2013, 4:33 PM

WHY again are you on TIGERnet? Are you lost? Quit trolling a CLEMSON site and go back to your own USuCk boards.

I will never understand gamecock fans....you actually went through the effort of making a username and all just to spew your trash talk from behind a computer. Seriously, y'all are pathetic...

This guy^^^

Sep 27, 2013, 12:45 AM

Talked to all the USCe fans I did so he would know I was not telling truth. Btw I never insinuated the fans I talked to constituted a majority sentiment. Just that the reasonable USCe fans that I talk to (which are the only ones I can tolerate) know the difference between a talent and the best fit for a team. Maybe like you would argue that JaBabyon is the most talented DE in college football but not necessarily the best DE.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic