Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Clemson falls to No. 17 in AP Poll
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Football Update: Clemson falls to No. 17 in AP Poll

Sep 23, 2012, 12:09 PM

Clemson falls to No. 17 in AP Poll

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Clemson falls to No. 17 in AP Poll

Sep 23, 2012, 12:11 PM

not as far as I thought we would. We just need to move on to BC and pray the defense can at least start slowing down opponents

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 23, 2012, 12:31 PM

This defense isn't as young as the coaches want us to believe. I see a number of veteran players out there every game. To be honest, they are not improving. I thought the Maryland game last year was one of the worst performances that I had seen but there have been a few just as bad recently. We couldn't stop Ball State and Furman. GT and VPI and Usuck will be tough games to win unless some big time changes are made in personnel. We have recruited great athletic skill players but they can't win games for you alone. Adams is a must recruit and we must keep RN onboard. Do you think that our tackling has improved over last year? Strange as it may sound, the BC game is more important today than it was yesterday. I am anxious to see how the team responds.

Sep 23, 2012, 1:05 PM

I think we are as bad as last year. This "young" excuse has been trotted ou so many time is becoming sickening.
I see no improvement, and belive it's fundamentally a lack of talent on the field and ongoing problems with our strength program. And Dabo's "small step backward" statement suggests to me that he is simply in denial regarding the severity of the problem. Hate to say it, but I fear more bad days ahead.

2 DTs, 1 DE, 1 LB, 2 1 CB < All sophomores

Sep 23, 2012, 4:18 PM

1 DE, 3 S's, 2 LB < Seniors

1 CB < Junior

Sep 23, 2012, 6:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Clemson falls to No. 17 in AP Poll ]

Not so sure Dabo is really in denial. Our coaches are smarter than that. Obviously someone higher up thinks Batson is doing a good job. Dabo may just be quoting the "party line" as a good employee. We have no way of knowing what is really going on....

Correct. We are every bit as

Sep 23, 2012, 11:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Clemson falls to No. 17 in AP Poll ]

bad as last year. After spring practice and fall camp, there has been no improvement in the defense. It's clearly a lack of talent. From now on, we are just going to have to out score every opponent.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Further proof that the AP Poll is worthless

Sep 23, 2012, 12:31 PM

That piece of crap poll isn't worth the ink it's printed with. Drop 8 spots for losing to a #4 team, sure, that's justified. Morons.

If you count return yards, they had close to a 1000 on us.***

Sep 23, 2012, 12:34 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Further proof that the AP Poll is worthless

Sep 23, 2012, 1:07 PM [ in reply to Further proof that the AP Poll is worthless ]

Considering our "defense," #17 seems fairly generous to me.

#17 is about right - probably where we're likely going to

Sep 23, 2012, 1:11 PM [ in reply to Further proof that the AP Poll is worthless ]

end the season at. We're not a top 10 program this year, but we are a top 20. We could conceivably win out but I feel like it's going to take the entire year to get the necessary seasoning on the defense to get to that next level. How we respond this week in practice and at BC will tell a lot about this team's ability to take that step.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Respectfully disagree...

Sep 23, 2012, 1:13 PM [ in reply to Further proof that the AP Poll is worthless ]

For openers, we're one of the highest-ranked one-loss teams. It could have been worse.

In addition, the defensive effort last night only reminded voters of that game last year that shall not be mentioned. Voters saw it as another "Big Show Swoon," much as they saw Oklahoma's paltry effort last night.

I would have liked to stop at 15 or so, but since we weren't stopping anyone last night, it makes sense.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Respectfully disagree...

Sep 23, 2012, 5:24 PM

I think we should have been ahead of Oklahoma, they were playing a lesser ranked team, and I believe it was at home, and lost. While we were playing a MUCH higher ranked team at their home..and made a much better showing, and lost.
GO TIGERS!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Respectfully disagree...

Sep 23, 2012, 6:19 PM

You are probably right but Ok gets points for name recognition.

FSU scored 49! Which higher-ranked team would CU surely beat***

Sep 23, 2012, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Further proof that the AP Poll is worthless ]

Why the heck are we behind Oklahoma?***

Sep 23, 2012, 12:52 PM

To be fair, they dropped a further distance than we did

Sep 23, 2012, 1:15 PM

But I agree, losing to a #4 looks better than losing to a #15

Clemson

The 14-17 spots are pretty tight...

Sep 23, 2012, 1:43 PM [ in reply to Why the heck are we behind Oklahoma?*** ]

...only about 50 votes difference.

BTW, FSU was only 6 votes out of third. Which means the voters did value their win over us, as well as disdain for LSU's game vs. Auburn.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why the heck are we behind Oklahoma?***

Sep 23, 2012, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Why the heck are we behind Oklahoma?*** ]

16th is about right for OU lastnight....the lost lastnight showed we have a lot of problems and we are not a top 15 team right now.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Doesn't seem right to drop that far

Sep 23, 2012, 1:07 PM

After losing on the road to the #4 team in a pretty close game. It doesn't matter though, win and we'll move up.

Re: Doesn't seem right to drop that far

Sep 23, 2012, 1:22 PM

Seems wrong to me as well.

I don't understand how

Sep 23, 2012, 1:33 PM

Florida and Miss St are not in the top 10. Aren't they both undefeated SEC teams?

You shouldn't be ranked based on your conference

Sep 23, 2012, 3:10 PM

only who you play and how well you play against those teams.

Re: You shouldn't be ranked based on your conference

Sep 23, 2012, 3:51 PM

I believe we are where we should be, but I don't see how you drop that far losing on the road in a hostile environment to the #4 team in the country.

On a different note, giving up that chunk play right after going up by 14 was a turning point in the game. It put the fans right back in it and shifted the momentum back to FSU. Accompany that with the lack of defensive depth, and it spelled disaster. I truly believe those young men tried hard and fought well, they just don't have the talent a top 10 team should have defensively.

I really hope we score a lot against the teams coming up because I have a bad feeling playing against teams that can run the ball and eat the clock.

I hope the new talent coming in really switches things around for us defensively in the next couple of years.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You shouldn't be ranked based on your conference

Sep 23, 2012, 7:28 PM

2 things... I'm scared to death of GT. Their scheme will make us look like kittens

Secondly, we are setting up for probably the best recruiting class clemson has on record. It's obvious that we have national attention and obvious that defensive talent can come in and gain immediate play time.

Sep 23, 2012, 4:27 PM

A bigger mystery to me is why usc is ranked #6. Who have they played? Not a top 25 team and KY coming up this week. I will be glad when they play somebody.

They may hang 70 on

Sep 23, 2012, 11:35 PM

Kentucky. Spurrier will run the score up on this one. The the Dawgs come to Cootlumbia. That will be their biggest game before LSU.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic