Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Athlon: Coaches on the hot seat
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 48
| visibility 1

Football Update: Athlon: Coaches on the hot seat

Mar 1, 2012, 5:42 PM

Athlon: Coaches on the hot seat

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh good lord. Who is the author?

Mar 1, 2012, 5:53 PM

Coming off the most successful season in 20 years and they put Dabo on the hot seat? That is beyond ridiculous.

Message was edited by: Crump®

Well, I reluctantly have to agree

Mar 1, 2012, 8:28 PM

There are a lot of people on this board who would be extremely unhappy with a 4th loss in a row to USC. I honestly think that's the ONLY thing that could put him on the hot seat and put his job in jeopardy, short of a scandal.

If we went 13-1 with a loss to USC, that's one thing. But if we go 9-4, 8-5 with a loss to USC you'd better believe people are going to be calling for his head, and IMO rightly so.

I think we'll be good next year. The schedule sets up nicely

Mar 1, 2012, 8:36 PM

I don't know if we'll beat SC. I'm waiting to see how Venables does before making any real predictions. I think it is fair to say that Dabo should be given a shot at coaching the 2013 team unless something horrible happens. Boyd will be a 3rd year starter. Same with Sammy. We redshirted a bunch of players who will contribute in 2013. If you talk about a coach building a program, let him at least coach what will be his best team.

Re: I think we'll be good next year. The schedule sets up nicely

Mar 2, 2012, 7:37 AM

I agree the schedule sets up very well for another division if not conference championship. If we lose to USC again, though, Swinney had BETTER have won us at least the division. I don't think it would cost him his job, but it sure will increase the grumbling by a large factor.

There are huge numbers of older grads and fans who have

Mar 2, 2012, 6:51 AM [ in reply to Well, I reluctantly have to agree ]

always considered the South Carolina game to be the most important every year...thinking that goes back to the Frank Howard days, when the game meant more than an ACC Championship. Regardless of any arguments now, that thinking isn't going to change. Even with the passage of time and improvements in the national reputation of the university, large numbers of the younger crowd harbor the same thoughts. I'm certain Coach Swinney has been made well aware of the necessity of winning the 2012 matchup; thus, my belief (posted previously) is simple: produce a mediocre season and lose to USC...the wagons have circled, and Dabo's in big trouble; have a great season and lose to USC...the rumblings will be significant, but he may survive for another year; have a mediocre or great season and beat USC...he'll probably survive. The fact remains: an overwhelming majority of Clemson grads and fans ARE NOT going to sit still and allow our domination over the Chickens to be reversed. Period. AND NO ONE should believe for one moment otherwise. AND, My Friends, that is precisely why I KNOW that we will continue that domination...Period!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree!***

Mar 2, 2012, 12:21 PM [ in reply to Well, I reluctantly have to agree ]

". . . there’s no excuse for the Tigers to win seven games

Mar 1, 2012, 6:51 PM

in 2012." What does that mean? I fully expect to win more than seven games. Someone needs to proofread!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I saw the same thing. That sentence makes no sense.***

Mar 3, 2012, 8:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

First ACC title and 10 win season in 20 years

Mar 1, 2012, 7:08 PM

yea Dabo is on the "hot seat".

Brainless folks over at Athlon.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC title, legi, the 10 win thing a little overblown

Mar 1, 2012, 7:49 PM

10-4 isn't 10-2, its far from it.

First ACC Championship in 20 years isn't though

Mar 1, 2012, 8:32 PM

And getting that VT monkey off our back is nice. It was so nice to finally beat those thugs. Twice was even better. We'll be in their head next year for sure.

we were lucky to get VT in the ACCCG had we played GT as

Mar 2, 2012, 11:56 AM

poor as we were playing at the season's end we would have finished 9-5 and no ACC title.

Re: we were lucky to get VT in the ACCCG had we played GT as

Mar 2, 2012, 12:08 PM

If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle.

Dream on. We ARE ACC Champs. Meanwhile...

Mar 2, 2012, 12:09 PM [ in reply to we were lucky to get VT in the ACCCG had we played GT as ]

Your school will never win a conference title of any sort.

Envy looks good on you.

And if we had caught that pass against Auburn, we would've

Mar 2, 2012, 12:19 PM [ in reply to we were lucky to get VT in the ACCCG had we played GT as ]

beaten the national champions. Playing the what if game is always fun.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

but we found another monkey that's a chicken

Mar 2, 2012, 12:55 PM [ in reply to First ACC Championship in 20 years isn't though ]

plus GT aint off our backs. Had an ### whoopin by nc state and we're right back where we were

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Overblown? If it is so easy why did it take us so long?

Mar 2, 2012, 7:16 AM [ in reply to ACC title, legi, the 10 win thing a little overblown ]

If it is so easy why does usEc only have 1 conference ship abd 2 10+ win seasons in a century and a quarter of football?

Good Grief....Enjoy it and smell at least 1 rose.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Still, we've been playing a 12 game schedule

Mar 2, 2012, 12:34 PM [ in reply to ACC title, legi, the 10 win thing a little overblown ]

off-and-on since 2002 and still hadn't managed to win 10 games. So it's definitely an achievement.

GO TIGERS

Have you ever read this board? It will be head rolling time

Mar 2, 2012, 11:02 AM [ in reply to First ACC title and 10 win season in 20 years ]

after the first time the O goes 3 and out.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

b/c people like you ignore a laundry list of negtives and do

Mar 2, 2012, 11:54 AM [ in reply to First ACC title and 10 win season in 20 years ]

not pay attention to the consistently inconsistent and poor play on the field. The ACC is at an all time low and the 10t win is thanks to a 14 game season that included an extra cupcake game. We struggled 12 out of 14 games against a fairly weak schedule.

Dabo is only 1-3 vs. usc, only 1-3 in bowl games and we were punk'd by WVu in the OB. THOSE THINGS MATTER.

10-4 today ain't the same as 10-2 under Ford.

You folks reward your kid for an A in math and ignore all the C's and D's and a few F's on the report card.

You folks are fixated on a few positives and blind to the negatives including persistent issues on the field.

BS...

There is not a "laundry list of negatives". There were some things that needed to be improved, and have been, and a couple things that still need to see some improvement.

The lists of positives is far longer. Here is a sample:

1) We won 10 games for the first time in 21 years.

2) We had the most conference wins in 28 years.

3) We were division champions for the 2nd time in three seasons.

4) We were the ACC Champions for the first time in 20 years.

5) We posted our first 7-0 home record in school history.

6) We went to a major bowl for the first time in 30 years.

7) We were 1 of only 3 BCS schools to improve from a losing season in 2010 to a 10-win season in 2011.

8) We won first eight games of the season. It was only the 4th time we've ever done that.

9) When we became bowl eligible on October 7th, it was the the earliest we've ever been bowl eligible.

10) We tied for 3rd in the entire country by beating four top 25 teams.

11) We had the most top 25 wins in school history.

12) We were the first ACC school ever to beat ranked teams in 3 consecutive games.

13) When we beat 3rd ranked VT in the ACCCG, it tied the highest ranked team we've ever beaten.

14) We reached #5 in the BCS poll. Our highest ranking in the BCS poll ever.

15) We were ranked in the BCS standings for 8 straight weeks.

16) We finished 15th in BCS ranking on December 4, tied for our best final BCS ranking in history.

17) We came back from 14 points or more down to win 3 games, the most ever. We've only come back from that margin 9 other times in history.

18) We came back from 18 down at Maryland, it was the 2nd biggest comeback in Clemson history.

19) We ended the nation’s longest winning streak when we beat Auburn for the first time since 1951.

20) When we beat 10th ranked Virginia Tech at Blacksburg, it was the largest margin of victory over a ranked team on the road in school history.

21) We set a school record by scoring in 22 consecutive quarters.

22) We finished with 6,171 yards of total offense, 3rd most in ACC history.

23) We had 33 TD passes as a team, 4th most in ACC history.

24) We had 3,952 passing yards, 4th most in ACC history.

25) We scored 470 points, 7th most in ACC history.

26) We set school records for passing yards, total offense, and points scored.

27) We had two first-team AP All-Americans for the first time, ever.

28) We did all of this 29 true or RS freshmen, tied with Indiana for the most in the country.

Some losses to your soon-to-be-on-probation program and a big loss in a BCS BOWL do not outweigh the positives.

Furthermore, to say, "10-4 today ain't the same as 10-2 under Ford" is incorrect. The ACC in Ford's day was an easier conference, yet he still managed to lose games he shouldn't have. Then again, every coach in America does that. In any case, we are playing a tougher schedule today then we did in the 80's, save a few games.

Nobody is ready to give an A+ to Dabo because everyone realizes we have room to grow. But by the same token, it's enormously idiotic to say he hasn't done well or that the program isn't moving in greater heights than it has for several decades.

Stats are for losers, Spence broke tons of records when he

Mar 2, 2012, 12:14 PM

first got here too, how did that turn out?

Did those passing stats give us a good redzone offense? Or give us a good OL or the ability to get big 3rd down conversions in short yardage? You forgetting we strugled 12 out of 14 games? That we barely beat a bad Wake team at home? That we were blown out by a bad NC state? That we were punk'd by usc and WV?

posting those meaningless stats given our ongoing issues makes you look silly.

Re: Stats are for losers, Spence broke tons of records when he

Mar 2, 2012, 12:15 PM

there you hit the nail on the head. if anyone knows losers it would be the blue coot. just look in the mirror

pot, met kettle***

Mar 2, 2012, 12:17 PM

To attempt to write off all that extremely relevant data as

Mar 2, 2012, 12:20 PM [ in reply to Stats are for losers, Spence broke tons of records when he ]

"meaningless stats" is pathetically lame and desperate, even for you.

Instead of picking ONE of those bullet points, how about you go through all of them and explain how they are meaningless?

Furthermore, saying "we struggled in 12 of 14 games" is one of the funniest things you've ever said. Yeah we struggled, yet STILL accomplished all of this:

1) We won 10 games for the first time in 21 years.

2) We had the most conference wins in 28 years.

3) We were division champions for the 2nd time in three seasons.

4) We were the ACC Champions for the first time in 20 years.

5) We posted our first 7-0 home record in school history.

6) We went to a major bowl for the first time in 30 years.

7) We were 1 of only 3 BCS schools to improve from a losing season in 2010 to a 10-win season in 2011.

8) We won first eight games of the season. It was only the 4th time we've ever done that.

9) When we became bowl eligible on October 7th, it was the the earliest we've ever been bowl eligible.

10) We tied for 3rd in the entire country by beating four top 25 teams.

11) We had the most top 25 wins in school history.

12) We were the first ACC school ever to beat ranked teams in 3 consecutive games.

13) When we beat 3rd ranked VT in the ACCCG, it tied the highest ranked team we've ever beaten.

14) We reached #5 in the BCS poll. Our highest ranking in the BCS poll ever.

15) We were ranked in the BCS standings for 8 straight weeks.

16) We finished 15th in BCS ranking on December 4, tied for our best final BCS ranking in history.

17) We came back from 14 points or more down to win 3 games, the most ever. We've only come back from that margin 9 other times in history.

18) We came back from 18 down at Maryland, it was the 2nd biggest comeback in Clemson history.

19) We ended the nation’s longest winning streak when we beat Auburn for the first time since 1951.

20) When we beat 10th ranked Virginia Tech at Blacksburg, it was the largest margin of victory over a ranked team on the road in school history.

21) We set a school record by scoring in 22 consecutive quarters.

22) We finished with 6,171 yards of total offense, 3rd most in ACC history.

23) We had 33 TD passes as a team, 4th most in ACC history.

24) We had 3,952 passing yards, 4th most in ACC history.

25) We scored 470 points, 7th most in ACC history.

26) We set school records for passing yards, total offense, and points scored.

27) We had two first-team AP All-Americans for the first time, ever.

28) We did all of this 29 true or RS freshmen, tied with Indiana for the most in the country.

You're weak, Faddy.

Excuse me? I'm attempting to write off relevant data?

Mar 2, 2012, 12:45 PM

I don't think so buster. I didn't mention any of what you did and I'm simply not going to read all of that.

Wanting me to read all that, what in the hell is wrong with you?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To attempt to write off all that extremely relevant data as

Mar 2, 2012, 2:42 PM [ in reply to To attempt to write off all that extremely relevant data as ]

Why do you continue to argue with this guy? He's either a coot in disguise or he just gets off on trolling and arguing with people. The stats you posted prove his whole argument and reason for even posting on this board wrong and a waste of time. Dabo has proven every naysayer (including myself) wrong with the season we just had. Nobody picked us to win the ACC and most predicted a losing season. Bluefatty is a rah-tard.

Re: Stats are for losers, Spence broke tons of records when he

Mar 3, 2012, 6:33 PM [ in reply to Stats are for losers, Spence broke tons of records when he ]

Agree Blue Caddy,there were positives this season,but the four beat downs were hard to explain.until we get tougher, and stop with the two or three crap games every year,Dabo needs to be questioned,just winning the ACC should not give him a pass for the whippings of this past season,or the failure of the 2010 season

HEY! My kid gets all a's and occasionally a b! J/A!***

Mar 3, 2012, 6:41 PM [ in reply to b/c people like you ignore a laundry list of negtives and do ]

Re: Football Update: Athlong: Coaches on the hot seat

Mar 1, 2012, 8:42 PM

And I expected more out of Athlon....that's pitiful.

Re: Football Update: Athlong: Coaches on the hot seat

Mar 1, 2012, 9:01 PM

#8 is a perfect example of why hiring the guy that looks best on paper is not always the way to go. What you got to say about that bluefatty?

lol most people including me thought that was a stupid hire

and while TT is a good and proven coach, he is a bad fit for TT.

You folks continue to make yourselves look stupid b/c you totally do not understand me or my thinking. You don't read and comprehend what I write. You constantly read into, miss interpret, and misrepresent my very straight forward and clear posts.

I have never ever said simply hire a big name or any coach with past success and poof greatness happens like magic. It is far more complex than that, and fit and culture are part of the picture.

I wouldn't want TT at Clemson. I prefer a younger, but proven guy with consistent success at multiple programs, or a clear super star, but under appreciated guy like Leach. And YES he'd have a good defense at Clemson b/c he can recruit the kids at Clemson that he couldn't at TT.

Faddy, the only person making himself look stupid right now

Mar 2, 2012, 12:12 PM

is you.

Dabo has taken us to heights not seen in 20 years, and by all measurable standards we are continuing to grow.

As it stands right now, Dabo was absolutely a good hire.

i want what you are smoking***

Mar 2, 2012, 12:15 PM

Yeah, I remember you saying you smoke "big fattys" while

Mar 2, 2012, 12:22 PM

posting on the internet.

Too bad you have no rebuttals.

Re: i want what you are smoking***

Mar 3, 2012, 6:45 PM [ in reply to i want what you are smoking*** ]

I want people to quit saying that! Broken record, GEEZ!

Re: Faddy, the only person making himself look stupid right now

Mar 3, 2012, 6:25 PM [ in reply to Faddy, the only person making himself look stupid right now ]

Time will tell if he was a good hire,lots of positives,but there are still some problems that must be corrected to get this program to a top 10-15 type of program!Ido believe that hiring a more experienced HC would have gotten us there much faster.Clemson did not need to hire a coach that we let train on the job,we had the money to bring in a top notch coach,that being said I hope as a Clemson fan that Dabo will succeed here

Finally came up with a diagnosis...

Mar 2, 2012, 12:23 PM [ in reply to lol most people including me thought that was a stupid hire ]

>
> You folks continue to make yourselves look stupid b/c
> you totally do not understand me or my thinking. You
> don't read and comprehend what I write.
>

Here's a $10 word for you: MEGALOMANIA. I can refer you to a great therapist if it would help.

Obviously Faddy needs therapy.

Mar 2, 2012, 12:26 PM

Instead of megalomania though, I think it's nothing more than pure, unadulterated insanity. The guy is several fries short of a happy meal, and he's been that way for at least the 15 years I've known him.

Re: Obviously Faddy needs therapy.

Mar 3, 2012, 6:37 PM

And the personal insults from you continue

Think they'd put some bigger names in there if they're

Mar 2, 2012, 12:18 AM

trying to sell issues. This just seems to be laziness and stupidity.

It's such a joke cause there are a whole lot

Mar 2, 2012, 6:54 AM

of coaches out there that would feel heat if they only win 7 games that they don't put on the list.

He's basically saying that IF Clemson has a bad year THEN

Mar 2, 2012, 8:32 AM

Dabo will be on the hot seat. I'll buy that. But you could say that about 3/4 of the coaches in the NCAA.

He's not currently on the hot seat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Congrats on the 5000th post! and I agree***

Mar 2, 2012, 8:38 AM

He's saying the seat is warm and it could get a lot hotter***

Mar 2, 2012, 12:16 PM [ in reply to He's basically saying that IF Clemson has a bad year THEN ]

Why believe a writer who can't write what he meant to say?***

Mar 2, 2012, 12:16 PM

He's not on the hot seat, but he easily could be following

Mar 2, 2012, 12:52 PM

next season.

If we get blown out by the coots again and look horribly inconsistent again... Dabo will be right on the hotseat.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not surprised they have Dabo on the "hot seat".

Mar 3, 2012, 9:00 PM

Just read the reaction regarding Jack Leggett after losing to So. Car. today. After being blownout 3 straight times by them, Dabo is going to feel the walls in his office shaking.

Replies: 48
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic