Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: All-America safety on 1951 Orange Bowl Team passes
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1,460

Football Update: All-America safety on 1951 Orange Bowl Team passes

Dec 20, 2011, 12:20 PM

All-America safety on 1951 Orange Bowl Team passes

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He got to see Clemson win another championship b4 he passed***

Dec 20, 2011, 12:24 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Got to see Calvert play. He was in a long line of

Dec 20, 2011, 2:04 PM

great single wing tailbacks of that era. There was Bobby
Gage, Billy Hair and Don King. King played one year of single wing tailback and then became Clemson's first T quarterback. King and Gage were from Anderson. I know that Gage and now Calvert are gone. Don King is still with us, lives in Anderson. I don't know about Billy Hair.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Got to see Calvert play. He was in a long line of

Dec 20, 2011, 2:31 PM

Billy Hair, aka "The passing parson" died 4-5 years ago in his hometown Walterboro. Tailback, #77.......

My father played on the undefeated 1950 team...was

Dec 20, 2011, 3:49 PM

last team to go undefeated until '81.

Re: Football Update: All-America safety on 1951 Orange Bowl Team passes

Dec 20, 2011, 3:57 PM

I was at that Orange Bowl game. won 15-14. my uncle who lived in Miami was a usher at the game. got me a great seat. those people in Miami said the refs cost them the game. the people who were suppose to let me ride home to S.C. left me at the gate. had to ride the train home at 14 years old. what a joy ride home and a great game.

Dec 20, 2011, 4:03 PM

While that would certainly have been a great adventure for any 14year old, the people that "left you at the gate" shoulda been horsewhipped....and I'll bet when your Mom found out, she woulda volunteered to get the whip

Remarkable game to have seen, I've heard stories from those who were there my entire life

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 20, 2011, 4:26 PM

The couple who I was suppose to ride home with! she was a school teacher. that explains all. the safety at the end of the game caused a lots of joy, I suppose.

He would be a nice choice for the Ring of Honor***

Dec 20, 2011, 9:16 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 22, 2011, 5:18 PM

Jackie Calvert was one of the most graceful runners I've seen in my long life. He played tailback in the single wing that Coach Howard was still using in 1950 (Clemson changed to T formation in 1952). As tailback he received the snap on virtually ever play. If memory serves he also was on varsity track team.
He was pretty quiet but very well liked. He was on the same shipment to Far East Command (FECOM) in early 1953 as quite a few of us Army (ROTC)lieutenants were. The Korean War was still underway at that time.
Last time I saw Jackie he was in the Murrell's Inlet area in the construction business.That was about 15 years ago.
Clemson defensive lineman Brass(Sterling) Smith tackled Frank Smith, Miami's stud running back in the end zone for the safety that put Clemson in front 15-14. This was very late in the 4th Q and the game ended that way. Brass lives in retirement in Greenville today.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1,460
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic