Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: Allen needs a good 40 time at pro day
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Football Player Update: Allen needs a good 40 time at pro day

Feb 26, 2012, 9:08 AM

Allen needs a good 40 time at pro day

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Player Update: Allen needs a good 40 time at pro day

Feb 26, 2012, 9:22 AM

this guy will play at the next level and do very well. if they want to downgrade him just based on this the team who does get him will be very happy w him. Not sure why he was slow here but he will do fine

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What were the other TE times?

Feb 26, 2012, 9:47 AM

Sounds pretty good for a 270lb TE to me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

8th best time.***

Feb 26, 2012, 10:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Every man is my superior, in that I may learn something from him."

Re: What were the other TE times?

Feb 26, 2012, 11:27 AM [ in reply to What were the other TE times? ]

Well, he's a 255 pound TE, not 270. Best was 4.45 which is ridiculous for a TE. Several were in the 4.6-4.75 range. Average for last year's combine TEs was 4.64 seconds. Dwayne did good at the drills and bench press, but his vertical, broad jump, and 40 were below par.

I guess it's too late for him to stay in school.

Feb 26, 2012, 9:57 AM

3rd Round? Ouch!

We sure could use his talent one more year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

don't be a fool, stay in school***

Feb 26, 2012, 6:31 PM

I think there is way too much emphasis on combine results.

Feb 26, 2012, 10:05 AM

Doesn't a whole body of work, where it was proven time and time again that a player could play, and was a superior performer, doesn't that count for more than a single 40 time at a combine?

I remember watching one of the college all-star games a few years back. There was this one RB from a small school who was running over, through, and around everybody; he was almost unstoppable. The announcers kept commenting how it was a shame that he didn't have the measurables that NFL scouts were looking for, and would be lucky to catch on with a team as a free agent. What? If this kind of thinking had always been in vogue, there would have been no Babe Ruth, no Brett Favre, no Fran Tarkenton, no Sonny Jurgensen, no Larry Bird, no Walter Payton. How many great players from various sports would have performed poorly on some individual test on one particular day? I'd guess a lot. What ever happened to watching a guy play, seeing that he can play in spite of whatever limitations he may have in certain areas; that he has adapted, compensated and overcome, and made himself into a winner and a superior player as opposed to one who excels at specific tests?

I've seen Dwayne Allen play and I know that he is a great tight end and a great football player, and whoever gets him is getting a good one - 40 times be ######. Any kind of thinking that suggests otherwise, flying directly in the face of the evidence, is just mind-boggling.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

what round was Tom Brady picked?***

Feb 26, 2012, 11:22 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Great example.***

Feb 26, 2012, 11:54 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I agree in principal, but the value of a great TE in the NFL

Feb 26, 2012, 2:17 PM [ in reply to I think there is way too much emphasis on combine results. ]

is that they can consistently beat LBers. DA was able to beat LBers in college, but NFL LBers are a whole lot faster, and his 4.89 40 is just really slow.

I can understand the concerns...

I understand the concern too. But, I would not simply look

Feb 26, 2012, 3:00 PM

at his 40 time at the combine and draw any hard conclusions. Somehow, this guy was very successful in college not only against inferior competition, but also against supposedly faster, future NFL linebackers.

- H. L. Mencken

4.9 is a bad time

Feb 26, 2012, 10:27 AM

Nobody is spending a 1st round pick on a TE that runs a 4.9 40.

Why did he even run he 40?***

Feb 26, 2012, 5:42 PM

Re: Football Player Update: Allen needs a good 40 time at pro day

Feb 26, 2012, 6:37 PM

Graham was a late round pick, Gronkowski was a 2nd rounder and Aaron Hernandez went in the 4th so there can be quality found at the TE spot in the later rounds.

The Kid can play and will be

Feb 26, 2012, 10:35 PM

Fine. It is a shame that he will drop to a lower rounds but he will be fine. Also he was beating DBS as well some of the time. Some guys are gamers and DA is one of them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After his injury, he seemed to lose a step this past season

Feb 27, 2012, 9:47 AM

Maybe he's still not fully recovered??

The Dwayne Allen that began the 2011 season certainly wasn't a 4.89 forty guy.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic