Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Food for Thought
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Food for Thought

Oct 3, 2019, 1:18 PM

Maybe if we weren't so focused on making players attend classes and graduate they wouldn't be smart enough to know they are being taken advantage of. College, like the NFL, needs them to be dumb, not smart like Andrew Luck.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Food for Thought

Oct 3, 2019, 1:46 PM

So you're telling me that uneducated people don't think about money as much? You think that the big picture is them being taken advantage of and not the fact that they're receiving top tier coaching, a degree, food, proper mental and physical training for a chance at the NFL, the biggest spotlight possible to get their name out there, and spending money already but you think jersey sales or something other is going to change that? These public institutions use sports like football to fund other sports that don't make them money but infact lose them money such as baseball, basketball (most school) and other sports as well as could you imagine the spending they have to make aside from that such as keeping the stadium with workers, police to handle the games, parking services and traffic redirection, recruiting, 60 million+ in facilities and 100s of staff to support football, surgeries and physical therapy for the players to remain healthy? But going to class has made them want a minute increase due to jersey sales? I think it's people like you that actually don't see the big picture and want to mock these guys for the same mindset you have. Let's be honest allowing them to make money off their name is only going to effect the .1% of football players that are going to the NFL anyways then it'll be another issue down the road but heck lets just not send them to class and maybe they'll stop thinking about money?

Oct 3, 2019, 2:28 PM

These programs are not just self-sustaining though they are profit centers. Below is the top 25 for average profit per year for the last three years (not revenue). So all of that physical therapy, support staff, stadium workers, coaches, tutors, tuition, meals, physical training, stadium improvements, new facilities is paid for and then Clemson still has about 30 million dollars left over at the end of the year for profit and that's without the ACC deal. And those precious jersey sales you seem love loath, Nike deals, and apparel purchased won't count into that because it is licensed by Clemson University and not sold by the athletic department.

I agree though, some schools do not have the luxury Clemson does with a great alumni base and I can see the huge disparity between even what Clemson makes and Texas A&M so Clemson can keep all of it. States are cutting higher education funding so Clemson will surely use this money on academics wisely.

Where I have a problem is when a player like Tajh Boyd or Ben Boulware who were sensational college players, but could not make it in the next league, are never compensated for their greatness anymore than Ben Batson is for being third string. I have a problem when a track athlete losses her scholarship and eligibility because she picked up a side modeling job so she can have a few extra spending dollars. If I am apart of the campus orchestra how is it fair that I can teach lessons during the summer, but Trevor can not profit if he wants to tutor a high school QB on his throwing motion.

25 | Clemson (ACC)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $27M

24 | Mississippi (SEC)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $43M

23 | Wisconsin (Big Ten)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $48M

22 | Michigan State (Big Ten)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $44M

21 | Iowa (Big Ten)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $44M

20 | Nebraska (Big Ten)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $46M

19 | Washington (Pac-12)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $43M

18 | USC (Pac-12)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $52M

16 (tie) | Arkansas (SEC)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $53M

16 (tie) | South Carolina (SEC)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $53M

15 | Florida State (ACC)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $40M

14 | Oregon (Pac-12)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $56M

13 | Penn State (Big Ten)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $54M

12 | Tennessee (SEC)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $59M

11 | LSU (SEC)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $73M

10 | Auburn (SEC)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $65M

9 | Florida (SEC)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $69M

8 | Notre Dame (Independent)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $76M

7 | Georgia (SEC)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $74M

6 | Oklahoma (Big 12)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $81M

5 | Ohio State (Big Ten)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $75M

4 | Alabama (SEC)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $61M

3 | Michigan (Big Ten)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $83M

2 | Texas (Big 12)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $92M

1 | Texas A&M (SEC)
Three-Year Avg. Profit: $94M

Oct 3, 2019, 2:43 PM

Side jobs are not punishable. Things like paying the player 10x more than what you pay the next person for the side job is. 9M profit a year for a national champion program doesn't include what it takes to fund other sports neither and also doesn't show what is being spent to update facilities. Use for the school to receive upgrades such as new classes etc. Also, they will be paying these athletes off their name. Do you truly think Boulware would've had a huge Jersey sales profit over Watson, Williams, Wilkins? No, next you forget guys like Boulware and Boyd also are able to use their platform in professional ways to boost them above the average person aswell, Boyd writes and Boulware like Boyd did have a short stint in the NFL. Boyd has a net worth of 2.3 million because he made a name for himself using his platform at Clemson in a smart manner. I don't mind players being paid but the truth of the matter is there's a big difference in the claim of multi billions and "getting nothing" and where they truly are and who's REALLY going to be helped by this pay for name because it'll be pennies on the dollar and only for the few.

Oct 3, 2019, 2:56 PM

https://www.forbes.com/sites/darrenheitner/2017/08/03/ncaa-fails-kicker-donald-de-la-haye-and-all-student-athletes/#6346333e3776

Actually they are!

Oct 3, 2019, 4:09 PM

Once again you misrepresent facts to suit your own purposes.

If you actually read the article, the point of contention in this case is that this particular student athlete was including football in his videographer pursuits and attempting to make money from that. That’s in violation of NCAA rules.

Part time jobs are permitted by the NCAA. As of 2014 the only restriction is that it couldn’t be during the season, which in my view is completely reasonable.

I would think one who’s far ahead of his time would possess sufficient reading and comprehension skills to pick that up, but then that’s not the issue is it?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2019, 5:08 PM

If you utilize those same reading compression skills (that you have so claimed I do not have) you will notice all of my examples are of a student using a skill which they are furthering due to their extracurricular involvement (the Trevor's passing skills, orchestra skills) and using them in a side job (both cases tutoring). The article supports this with this students inability to leverage his extracurricular activities to help further his side job as a videographer.

This is the exact issue at the heart of the fair pay for play act, that students should be able to utilize their own likeness and involvement in a collegiate sports team in whatever way they see fit, but you are correct that I should have clarified that all side jobs are not forbidden, just those pertaining to the athletes' skill set.

Oct 3, 2019, 2:30 PM

They arent being taken advantage of. They are getting a ton in return.

Oct 3, 2019, 2:50 PM

Tuition: $27,360 - From academic research the marginal cost of adding another student in the most expensive major is $228 per credit hour for 120 hours.

Food - 24,000 - Two thousand dollars a semester for 12 semesters, meal plan for students

Housing - 36,944 - Housing for 4 years given the on campus yearly cost of $9236 at Clemson

Healthcare - $0 - For injuries you will occur during play

Equipment / Training / Clemson clothing- $0 - My work provides me with a computer, internet, a place to work, company shirts, ect. because it's what I need to be successful for them, it is not taken out of my salary.

Coaches / Spotlight - ??? - You would take the how many seniors get a contract in the NFL and divide it by the amount of graduating seniors and compare it with the rate of an average school.

So we are at aprox. $95,516 for over four years for an average salary of 23,879.00 per year. Congrats they are paid in benefits below the poverty line!

Oct 3, 2019, 3:03 PM

Its way more than that. Out of state tuition alone that they dont have to pay blows that out of the water. 5 years at Duke costs 250,000 for tuition alone. Food, housing, utilities, clothing, etc etc, that they don't pay adds a lot too. Your numbers are way off.

Oct 3, 2019, 3:23 PM

Housing and food is accurate given these rates. Most of the players lived in Lightsy so he’s a little high there, food is accurate because a player would have nicer food, but a summer meal plan would not be the same as the the regular semesters.

http://housing.clemson.edu/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Housing-Dining-Rates_2018-19_No-Interior-Rooms_Website-2.pdf

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2019, 3:54 PM

They get a lot though. Some even leave with a masters too. Its a great opportunity. 5 years at University of Michigan cost close 250k out of state too. That's just tuition. How much does one have to earn with taxes and everything to pay for that? To top it off, most are getting into schools that they would never get into without athletics.

Oct 3, 2019, 4:44 PM

As an economist this is a actually a pretty dicey area. Colin’s quote for marginal cost is what it would costs Clemson to add an additional student to its class per semester hour (No idea where the number came from). You are quoting replacement cost, what it would take to have that same thing. The problem with Colin’s method is if they gave you a check for that amount you couldn’t pay tuition. The problem with your method however is the MSRP, if you will, of tuition does not really indicate value. Clemson’s tuition is only 2,401 a year more than South Carolina and that hardly represents the disparity across the schools.

Think about it like this. If you work at Volvo and they give you their highest end car which has a MSRP of 51,450. Is the employee benefit how much they sell it for at its highest price or how much it’s costing the company to give it to you?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2019, 5:23 PM

http://ftp.iza.org/dp11968.pdf

Oct 3, 2019, 5:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Food for Thought ]

Here is the link to the academic article where the margin cost per student is reported

Oct 3, 2019, 2:40 PM

Just exactly who are you and where did you come from???????

Oct 3, 2019, 2:41 PM

B-Meist®
Crump®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Oct 3, 2019, 2:44 PM

Boy, you’re really making a splash with only 1.5 days on TigerNet under your belt.

I can’t believe we’re only now benefiting from your insights.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2019, 2:52 PM

I got bored sitting on the sidlines

I suspect you’re headed back there.

Oct 3, 2019, 3:07 PM

Or rather the transfer portal is in your near future.

Oct 3, 2019, 3:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Food for Thought ]

But I have angered too many and have upset the establishment. So it is with a heavy heart I feel I should leave. A man to far ahead of his time.

Oct 3, 2019, 3:25 PM

Oct 3, 2019, 3:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Food for Thought ]

His insights are actually on point and worthy of attention.

There is nothing more pressing than Pay for Play and CTE. Playing Florida State is of Dabo's main concern and many of the arm-chair strategists on this board. But the next 10-15 years of football are going to be dominated by the two topics he is presenting.

Oct 3, 2019, 2:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Oct 3, 2019, 3:07 PM

Andrew Luck (Stanford) left for head injury concerns as did "Megatron" (Calvin Johnson - Ga Tech), John Urshel (MIT), and Chris Borland (Wisconsin-Ma -the undergraduate Alma Mater of Ann McKee, nuero-pathologist (lead researcher on CTE). Many players in the NFL are dying prematurely from CTE, brain injuries, or suicide. There are too many articles online for me to post - but they out there. These guys are the brain-iacs of the NFL. Urshel knows statistics like the back of his hand. Once the last study came out on CTE prevalence (2017), he bounced.

I think the NFL will target lower aptitude players in the future for tackle football. Sort of an inverse Wonderlic approach. Mike Emmert (Ubermensch), NCAA President, and his predecessors already lowered academic standards to procure the finest athletes for the Universities to display. This has worked greatly and helped the Universities build buildings (think the Reeves Football Complex at Clemson).

What my sources are telling me is that Roger Godell, Commissioner of NFL, and his advisers are working on getting kids to play flag football at a young age: https://operations.nfl.com/the-game/youth-football/nfl-flag/. As it becomes increasingly clear that tackle football causes nuero-degenerative problems, educational institutions are going to have a hard time supporting them on state supported grounds. Lawsuits are coming from every direction.

Stay glued to your computer and handheld devices:

1. Pay for play act will increase player civil rights
2. Anti-trust lawsuits
3. NCAA threatening lawsuits against the states
3. CTE Lawsuits
4. Dabo potentially leaving college football if the players receive compensation

Going to be a wild ride.

Scoks helping scoks....

Oct 3, 2019, 3:15 PM

B-Meist®
Crump®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Let me help the needy

Oct 3, 2019, 3:54 PM

mods in need of help

wattythe3

Philo_TIGER

Colin_Kapherd

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Let me help the needy

Oct 3, 2019, 3:59 PM

Is this a list?

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

that's ridiculous.***

Oct 3, 2019, 3:21 PM

Re: that's ridiculous.***

Oct 3, 2019, 3:58 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic