Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Follow up to wilbur's questions, anyone can answer.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 911

Follow up to wilbur's questions, anyone can answer.

Jul 1, 2020, 11:54 AM

1)Assuming he loses, what do you think Trump is going to do with himself post-POTUS?

2)How would you like to see the GOP change post-Trump?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Follow up to wilbur's questions, anyone can answer.

Jul 1, 2020, 11:58 AM

1) TV

2) Reject the Age of Trump and put serious adults back in charge along with a positive vision for the future beyond propaganda on a red hat

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Jul 1, 2020, 12:02 PM

He will create a tv channel. It will be huge.

Don't care because not a repub, but will likely be a battle between moderates (Nikki Haley v Marco Rubio) versus Trumpeters (Cotton v Pence). My guess is Haley wins the next primary and runs a lot like McCain or Romney, and loses.

I don't think Pence is a "Trumpeter"

Jul 1, 2020, 12:04 PM

I think he is a loyal employee.

If he is who he says he is (and I think he is) he's got to be torn up inside.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's gonna be a real tough stain to wash out.***

Jul 1, 2020, 12:15 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree

Jul 1, 2020, 12:16 PM

the proverbial "sold his soul to the devil"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't think Pence is a "Trumpeter"

Jul 1, 2020, 12:16 PM [ in reply to I don't think Pence is a "Trumpeter" ]

Franc, I think he disagrees on issues, but this is more about attitude. McCain and Romney almost apologized for being conservative. Walked away from it, and played the game on dem turf. Trump, Cotton, Pence, etc. take the fight to the left. Boldly stand behind "law and order","support them troops", lower taxes, securing the border, and so on. In that regard, I think Pence is on that squad. He will freely tell you where he stands on abortion. Mitt and weak John McCain basically said "it doesn't matter because legalized abortion is the law." hth.

we are on the same page on all of that...

Jul 1, 2020, 12:25 PM

I think Pence saw this as an opportunity to get political exposure. He's in a no win situation ethically.

I have worked for people I didn't think were particularly good leaders, however, sometimes doing your job is wiser and more productive than undercutting that poor leader.

Part of what you said is exactly what I'd like to see

Jul 1, 2020, 12:37 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't think Pence is a "Trumpeter" ]

end in the GOP and the rest of politics. Weak John McCain? Really? Because he didn't believe the same as you about something? The man served his God, his family, and his country honorably, and now he is dead. The Trumpy insult shid has to end.

What did McCain say about his rival, when audience members called Obama a terrorist, liar, and an Arab, that they were afraid of Obama? McCain assured the audience that his rival was a decent man, a family man. Someone who he had fundamental disagreements with, but was not anyone to "fear".

Now, me, you, and JoeSchmoe can knock it back and forth on a msg board all we want, respectful or not. But, I firmly believe that politics needs to be played on the field with respect, when played by politicians. Set the example. Lead.

McCain was weak

Jul 1, 2020, 12:54 PM

He might have stood up to people talking about Obama, but he never once defended himself or conservatism. People talked about how he might have been brainwashed in a POW camp and be a foreign agent. People said the most loathsome things about Palin's son with cognitive disabilities. He didn't once stand up and call that out. He was weak. At what point did he talk about the erosion of the family unit, or what funding planned parenthood really amounts to? At what point did he talk about how out of control government had grown and make the case for why letting people keep more of their money is a good thing? He didn't. He was on defense the whole time. He spent more time talking about how he was different than Bush than talking about how he was different from Obama. He cared more about being liked by both sides than doing the right thing. That showed the most when he could have stomped out Obamacare and chose not to.

We can disagree on this.

Jul 1, 2020, 4:43 PM

My opinion is that McCain was a highly principled man that voted on what he felt was right and wrong, not what the party dictated. I'm pro-choice, so I don't see us coming eye-to-eye on the reasons why he might not vote to defund Planned Parenthood and I think his record speaks for itself on policies supporting families.

McCain is certainly not above criticism, but similarly to someone like John Lewis, his character was forged by something much stronger than politics and that counts for Republicans or Democrats.

My experience with people who claim the moral high ground

Jul 1, 2020, 4:59 PM

is that they are usually the most full of #### out of everyone. There is no way that McCain was ever actually FOR Obamacare. Yet he voted to keep it simply to stick his thumb in Trump's eye. It was petty, and there's no two ways about it.

Not sure why you mentioned pro-choice and Planned Parenthood. My only stance on it is that it shouldn't be funded by tax dollars. Why make nuns and pastors pay for abortions?

Is it not just as logical that he felt more people/families

Jul 1, 2020, 5:47 PM

would have suffered from the loss of Obamacare? Plenty others agreed with that.

And there is no moral high ground for him, JL, or anyone like them. McCain always eschewed any “hero” status for his service. But he certainly doesn’t merit the de rigeur punching bag status that is popular in the current party politic.

Tom Cotton is a dream candidate for Democrats.

Jul 1, 2020, 12:56 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't think Pence is a "Trumpeter" ]

Moving away from a boogalooing bombastic buffoon candidate would be helpful for the party and the country.

Pence is the opposite. He's milquetoast and permanently attached to Trump. Dems would love that too.

My hope is that the Republicans don't learn anything from their Trumpian experiment and instead double down and try to replicate it while the rest of the country progresses.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you're right...

Jul 1, 2020, 1:02 PM

just curious...what does "progress" look like?

That might be why the dems have Biden.

You can say it was failed

Jul 1, 2020, 1:02 PM [ in reply to Tom Cotton is a dream candidate for Democrats. ]

but he won. When republicans run candidates who aren't afraid to mix it up, they win sometimes (Nixon, Reagan, Trump). When they run cowards or "politically savvy" people, they always lose (McCain, Romney, Dole).
I'm not a republican or democrat so I don't really care who they pick, but my guess is that they won't pick someone who stands behind their convictions like Cotton or Pence, they'll go with Haley or Rubio. And, they will lose because they won't disrupt the conversation the way Trump did. He might be a terrible person and president, but NO ONE was ever going to control the narrative when he was debating or being interviewed.

Not sure your age, but wrong about Reagan.

Jul 1, 2020, 1:57 PM

He was very politically savvy and was an articulate, effective communicator of conservatism with a element of compassion and justice that embraced Americans values. He depicted strength through a firm resolve _ not bombastic BS gibberish like Trump. Reagan could readily deliver a unifying message based on fact. One could only wonder how Reagan would have handled the Covid19 crisis but guaranteed much more effectively than Trump. Both Bush’s had similar attributes albeit less effective.

Somewhere along the way, Republicans became anti-immigrant, anti-science, anti-environmental and highly tolerant of racial injustices and inequities _ occasionally crossing the line of being actually supportive. The concept of “white victim” and “super patriot” has become engrained in the Right. This is often manifested in an unreasonable emotional response to symbols (ie. BLM signs, Confederate statues, building names, the National Anthem etc.) and rejection of meaningful elements of the US constitution (I.e. Congressional oversight, peaceful protests etc.).

Re: Not sure your age, but wrong about Reagan.

Jul 1, 2020, 2:03 PM

Reagan is a prime example of a fighter who took it to the other side. "Politically savvy" was is quotes because the new GOP candidates aren't that savvy, like Reagan. They paint with pale pastels, not bold colors.

How is that "controlling the narrative" approach working

Jul 1, 2020, 2:22 PM [ in reply to You can say it was failed ]

for Republicans now? Did it help keep The House in 2018? Is it helping Senate Republicans in 2020? It appears he is "disrupting" more than just the conversation. Winning but not governing is not a long term strategy.

If that is the conclusion that Republicans come to, then they will have learned nothing from the failed Trump experiment.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How is that "controlling the narrative" approach working

Jul 1, 2020, 2:29 PM

It got them 2 SCOTUS justices.

Gorsuch just confirmed the Civil Rights Act of 1964 applies

Jul 1, 2020, 2:54 PM

to gay and transgender people, which was a big loss for homophobic Republicans. I will give you Kavanaugh. The right can count on his vote on every issue regardless of precedent, like Clarence Thomas.

Chief Justice John Roberts, a Dubya appointment assumed to be conservative, has emerged as the swing vote for many progressive decisions.

It's funny how the weight of the job causes some of these right wing justices to see the light.

The next president could replace Ginsburg, Breyer, Thomas or Alito. Some Republicans are suggesting Thomas announce his retirement so Trump can appoint a new Justice and fire up his base.

If Thomas retires just so Trump can fire up the tards

Jul 1, 2020, 3:05 PM

and he beats Biden, that would be the ULTIMATE PAYBACK. I like Thomas and think he got done dirty, in part by Biden. Would be displeased Trump won, but happy for Thomas.

The problem for Trump is not that his base isn't fired up

Jul 1, 2020, 3:17 PM

it's that it's too small no matter how motivated they are. He never figured out how to grow it.

Replacing Thomas is a fool's errand.

He could be the white Oprah!***

Jul 1, 2020, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Follow up to wilbur's questions, anyone can answer. ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2020, 12:02 PM

1) I think he has become too unlikable to go back to something like the apprentice. He could form his own network for angry people. He will probably profit from global connections he's made for his business.

2) Marco Rubio - type. That's who I voted for in primaries in 2016.

I wouldn't be surprised if more reality TV.***

Jul 1, 2020, 12:19 PM

Presidential Apprentice...

Jul 1, 2020, 12:26 PM

looks like it might be cancelled after the fourth season.

1-Prison 2 - Go full Racist-NAZI. Well that was for effect _

Jul 1, 2020, 12:40 PM

Real answers ...
1- Don’t care
2 - Hopefully rediscover conservative fiscal policy including incentives for market based solutions, traditional and strong national policy not based on BS rhetoric, rejection of fear based domestic policy, social policy based on equality and justice for all with respectful application and enforcement of our laws and finally environmental policy based on science again with market based solutions __ all with new capable leadership. The Republican Party had a history of being supportive of education, R&D, science, technology and tax structures to create a favorable “long term” business climate for the free market. Regarding Health Care, I have no clue but recognize there’s limitations and diminishing enrollment in employer based solutions.

Replies: 27
| visibility 911
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic