Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Florida Times-Union: Foley Not About to Lose Sully to Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Florida Times-Union: Foley Not About to Lose Sully to Clemson

Jun 6, 2015, 11:39 AM

Gene Frenette: Gators AD Jeremy Foley not about to lose Kevin O'Sullivan to Clemson
Fri, Jun 5, 2015 @ 8:15 pm | updated Fri, Jun 5, 2015 @ 11:31 pm

With so much coaching turnover taking place at Florida this year, the last thing athletic director Jeremy Foley wants or expects to deal with is losing his prized baseball coach, Kevin O’Sullivan, to Clemson.

It’s no surprise O’Sullivan’s name is prominently mentioned with the Clemson vacancy. He served nine years as the Tigers’ pitching coach/recruiting coordinator under Jack Leggett, who was fired after 22 seasons.

O’Sullivan, whose Gators routed Florida State 13-5 Friday night in a Super Regional opener, will be difficult to pry out of Gainesville. His contract runs through the 2019 season at $594,000 per year, which is in the top 5 among SEC schools.

Foley has lost only one coach in his 23-year tenure to a lateral move: basketball coach Lon Kruger to Illinois in 1996, which was then not terribly shocking due to UF’s spotty hoops reputation.

O’Sullivan’s circumstances are much different, starting with the fact Foley hired him and the Gators’ program has experienced consistent success (339-171 record) in his eight seasons. If Clemson made a generous offer to entice the 46-year-old Sullivan, UF isn’t likely to stand pat and do nothing.

The Gators have already replaced a football and basketball coach. Look for Foley to do whatever might be necessary to avoid another coaching search. …

http://jacksonville.com/sports/college/florida-gators/2015-06-05/story/gene-frenette-foley-not-about-lose-osullivan-clemson

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Florida Times-Union: Foley Not About to Lose Sully to Clemson

Jun 6, 2015, 12:15 PM

$594 is SALTY for sure!! I do not see Clemson matching that

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2015, 12:53 PM

I started a post about this the other day. I was shocked at what college baseball coaches are making, it's escalated rapidly. Note the quote was "top 5 in the conference." Not in the nation - just the SEC. Clemson would seriously have to come with a million dollar offer and a written commitment to increases in all the budgets relatimg to baseball to even warrant his consideration. Plus, no state ncome tax in Florida becomes very significant at these salary amounts.

Message was edited by: viztiz®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2015, 8:11 PM

Jack was paid 850k+. Clemson would be happy to match that and more to get Sully. Until. Sully says he is not coming...I am hoping we get him!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2015, 8:28 PM

I linked you his actual 2011 contract. The entire coaching budget wasn't $850k.

http://archive.greenvilleonline.com/assets/pdf/LeggettContract.pdf

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2015, 11:39 PM

Jack makes more off of his baseball camps than he does his coaching contract....

Jun 7, 2015, 12:33 AM

Maybe, I have no idea how that works but that doesn't make her info any more accurate. I would think camp money is included in the $190,000 supplemental income. She's claiming he made more money than Sully and it's totally untrue.

Re: Stroke a big check, every year and we can do likewise

Jun 7, 2015, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Florida Times-Union: Foley Not About to Lose Sully to Clemson ]

or better yet, send a copy of your "study" to the BOT. I am sure that they will give it consideration not that they are operating in a vacuum and are not aware of it.

Jun 6, 2015, 6:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Florida Times-Union: Foley Not About to Lose Sully to Clemson ]

They can match and pay more...Jack got 895k so we can if needed. Sully is coming!!!

Jun 6, 2015, 7:31 PM

Where did you get $895k from? His total compensatiom was $400k. $210 base $190 supplemental.
http://archive.greenvilleonline.com/assets/pdf/LeggettContract.pdf

Don't bring facts in here! Only delusional thinking please***

Jun 7, 2015, 12:49 AM

Re: Don't bring facts in here! Only delusional thinking please***

Jun 7, 2015, 7:53 AM

Coot

DB23

Jun 6, 2015, 12:27 PM

We should offer Sully 650K to help him get a raise!!!;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2015, 12:49 PM

We won't get him or Corbin to even consider.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct*

Jun 6, 2015, 12:55 PM

Re: Correct*

Jun 6, 2015, 1:25 PM

Anything is possible in this day and time. don't blink your eyes!

Jun 6, 2015, 1:57 PM [ in reply to Re: Florida Times-Union: Foley Not About to Lose Sully to Clemson ]

No, but I bet it would get him a nice raise, though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2015, 5:20 PM

Exactly!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 6, 2015, 11:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Florida Times-Union: Foley Not About to Lose Sully to Clemson ]

I disagree

It won't hurt to ask and at least drive up their operating

Jun 6, 2015, 2:40 PM

costs! Take away some football money.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sully may indeed stay at UF, but not because Foley is a genius.

Jun 6, 2015, 3:37 PM

#zookandmuschamp

Re: Sully may indeed stay at UF, but not because Foley is a genius.

Jun 6, 2015, 4:56 PM

one or two of these coaches have family here!

I don't want to pay a baseball coach that much money.

Jun 6, 2015, 5:27 PM

It already loses about $1 million a year. Don't get me wrong, I want to be competitive, but at some point a high salary for a college baseball coach becomes a horrible business decision.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I don't want to pay a baseball coach that much money.

Jun 6, 2015, 5:50 PM

You have multiple coaches making over $1,000,000. Total staff salaries hitting $1.5 million. Florida is somewhere around $1.1 million coach staff salaries and that's good for only 5th in the SEC. We're right around $650-$700 thousand for our staff. A decision has to be made whether we're gonna be serious or not. I'd much rather pay a competitive rate for season tickets and join a baseball booster club like FSU's Bullpen Club and actually try to be competitive. I certainly respect that others think the money could be better used elsewhere (which is part of why I think Clemson baseball should attempt to be more self sustaining). I don't think anyone would balk at $300 season tickets if you announce a Corbin or O'Sullivan level coach that truly gets people excited. Those that do would just free up room for people like me who have been waiting for years for decent seats to pounce on.

Re: I would not pay anywhere close to that. A good coach

Jun 6, 2015, 6:39 PM [ in reply to I don't want to pay a baseball coach that much money. ]

can be hired for much less and it will not be hard to do.

Re: I would not pay anywhere close to that. A good coach

Jun 6, 2015, 7:26 PM

You have no idea what you're talking about. Leggett's compensation package would rank dead last in the SEC - http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2013/05/list_of_sec_baseball_coaching.html - AND THAT'S TWO YEARS AGO. If you think we're getting a competitive coach in the ACC on the cheap you are out of your mind.

Re: Are we trying to win baseball games or trying to keep up

Jun 7, 2015, 8:24 AM

with the Joneses with what we pay coaches. The only problem about keeping up with the Joneses is that
they are about one step away from bankruptcy. As for what Jack was paid, I would say he was paid pretty darn good for a
coach that would probably have ended up close to last place in the SEC. From your pitiful reasoning, had we paid him more, we would have been in first place.

Re: Are we trying to win baseball games or trying to keep up

Jun 7, 2015, 11:19 AM

If you think there is no correlation between money spent and championships in college sports then I don't know what to tell you other than you have picked the wrong hobby. I know you're really more of a troll than a real poster but seriously if you think Clemson's going find a coach for under 1/2 a million that will ever see the post season you're completely out of your mind.

Re: II did not say that. I am glad that you have no sayso

Jun 7, 2015, 12:32 PM

when it comes to what we pay Big Spender. I hope that you, eventually, get those good seats that you covet. With your pocketbook, I am surprise that you don't already have them.

Re: II did not say that. I am glad that you have no sayso

Jun 7, 2015, 12:47 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17330742

What did "I would not pay anywhere close to that" in direct reference to an article about hiring O'Sullivan mean. I would assume it means peanut thinks we should not pay anywhere close to what O'Sullivan makes which is only good for 5th in the SEC. If I've somehow misinterpreted that I apologize but would also love to know how I was supposed to interpret it. Judge Kellers comment was that baseball loses a million a year not that he thought we should spend a million on a coach. If that was the figure you were referring to then you misunderstood his point but I apologize anyway. Yes, of course, we can find a good coach for less that a million. Only two make it now.

As for tickets. I've inquired about field level, preferably first base line, in the past and basically been told they aren't available and almost never become available. Since I actually never have any trouble finding tickets to specific games in this section (coupled with often getting freebies) I've had no impetus to buy other seats and have probably not pursued it with as much zeal as I might other things. Unless I'm misinformed, there is no priority system on the baseball tickets so essentially whoever has them already can keep them for a minimum IPTAY donation and $175 a seat for the tickets. If I have been misinformed about any of that I would love to be set straight.

Thanks.

Re: You are one very misinformed individual. CU

Jun 7, 2015, 4:15 PM

dismisses one coach in the last 50 years of baseball and you rag on the AD ( I am not fond of him, either, but he is still ours).. It was, obviously, JL needed to go or he would still be here. I don't believe that we have a BOT made up of fools not that I always agreed with them. We all understand that JL had a lot of supporters but they are still Clemson fans. Drad has made some mistakes and will make others. We all know that either he gets is done or his can will be out too. Lets give him a chance instead of publishing every utterance of an obscure re;porter who liked you did not like what happened. I did not like it when TB was fired but accepted it.

Re: You are one very misinformed individual. CU

Jun 7, 2015, 4:45 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17332253

Perhaps you meant to respond to a different thread. This is the one that I apologized if I misunderstood and asked for some help about tickets.

Don't really feel like going in circles on the other stuff. You pounded the drum for this and there are consequences. I'm no more a "bad Clemson fan" for saying my peace about DRad than you or anyone else who said it about Leggett.

Re:Yes but the AD and BOT agreed with us. ---more likely

Jun 7, 2015, 5:51 PM

they did not give a crap what we thought but they did it. Get on board or give up.

Re:Yes but the AD and BOT agreed with us. ---more likely

Jun 7, 2015, 5:58 PM

Do you just spin a roulette wheel before posting? I have no idea what this is responding to now, but I'm still looking for that friendly advice on baseball tickets.

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic