Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Front Page Story: Clemson to face LSU in Chick-Fil-A Bowl
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Front Page Story: Clemson to face LSU in Chick-Fil-A Bowl

Dec 2, 2012, 8:58 PM

Clemson to face LSU in Chick-Fil-A Bowl

The matchup will feature the highest ranked team Clemson has faced in a bowl game since the 2003 season when the Tigers upset sixth ranked Tennessee at the Chick-fil-A Bowl. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice words

Dec 2, 2012, 10:28 PM

Now prepare for the game and stay away from media. Just figure out how to play call to YOUR strengths and avoid THEIR strengths especially their DL. Practice like hell.

I hate the SEC, let's do this Clemson!***

Dec 3, 2012, 12:08 AM

Re: I hate the SEC, let's do this Clemson!***

Dec 3, 2012, 10:23 PM

OK, give them a map to the weight room.

Great! Dabo & Bowden always do well against tough OLs & DLs!

Dec 3, 2012, 12:21 AM

LSU's D is better than SCar's D, so I think it's going to be tough sledding for our offense. LSU's offense isn't great so maybe our defense can do OK with a month to prepare. But I guess we'll be heavy underdogs.

Dabo is 0-6 against non-con AP Top 25 final poll, so history isn't with us, but this will be a nice opportunity for Dabo to show that Clemson can get over the hump and actually beat a good, nationally respected team (rather than just beating up on ACC weaklings & non-AQ cupcakes).

There's no shame in losing to a great team like LSU but it would be the most hollow 10-win season in history if Clemson lost to the only 3 good teams that it played.

Re: Great! Dabo & Bowden always do well against tough OLs & DLs!

Dec 3, 2012, 10:29 PM

This game was lost in the off season. No work ethic. Plus no talent whatever in the secondary. The seniors haven't learned a thing. Not that they could. It could get really embarrassing.

Dalton Freeman was almost right when he said...

Dec 3, 2012, 1:10 AM

"To be a consitently outstanding program, you have to play national championship contenders like LSU."

Actually, you need to beat them.

First you have to have the opportunity to play them.

Dec 3, 2012, 7:54 AM

I agree that just playing them and losing should do nothing at all.

Mysteriously, SCAR plays them all the time ... rarely beats them ... and yet is generally recoginzed as an outstanding team.

Go figure.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually, now SCar beats contenders like UGA, UF & Ark.

Dec 3, 2012, 12:44 PM

For example, this season SCar spanked UGA (35-7) and UGA nearly played for the BCS NC.

Last season, SCar spanked (45-22) Arkansas (which finished #5) as well as beating AP Top 25 Final Poll teams like UGA, UF, et al.

Unfortunately, times have changed. SCAR hired a national championship, HOF coach that we could have hired. They are for real. Clemson is a pretender that hasn't beaten a Top 25 Final Poll team since the 2004 Peach Bowl.

Florida 44 USCheat 11

Dec 3, 2012, 12:53 PM

Arkansas 44 USCheat 28 last year when Arkansas was ranked.

Re: Florida 44 USCheat 11

Dec 3, 2012, 1:21 PM

We also beat Bama #1 Ole Miss #4 and swept the East 2 years in a row. See anyone can skew stats in one way or another.

Dec 3, 2012, 1:23 PM

Read Carefully.

Dec 3, 2012, 1:28 PM

I did you mentioned the 2 bad losses we had the past 2 seasons. You forgot to mention that we've beaten really high caliber teams recently.

Dec 3, 2012, 1:31 PM

Read REAL slow coot. I corrected the original post. Keep your panties out of a wad when reading.

Dec 3, 2012, 10:37 PM

Inteligent.

Dec 3, 2012, 10:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Florida 44 USCheat 11 ]

Who?

ark 44 scar 28

Dec 3, 2012, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Actually, now SCar beats contenders like UGA, UF & Ark. ]

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/recap?gameId=313090008

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What is Spurriers SCAR record against teams that *finished*

Dec 3, 2012, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Actually, now SCar beats contenders like UGA, UF & Ark. ]

in the top 10?

He gets shots at them several times every season.

How many teams that actually finished the season in the top 10 has Spuurrier beaten as #### Coach?

Re: What is Spurriers SCAR record against teams that *finished*

Dec 3, 2012, 10:39 PM

Well, us for one. The past four years, Or don't we count?

Oops. I was wrong about SCar vs. Ark 2011. Ark won.***

Dec 3, 2012, 1:56 PM [ in reply to Actually, now SCar beats contenders like UGA, UF & Ark. ]

Re: Actually, now SCar beats contenders like UGA, UF & Ark.

Dec 3, 2012, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Actually, now SCar beats contenders like UGA, UF & Ark. ]

If we could have hired Spurrier, we should have done it. Dabo remains a big ? Too much of a cheerleader.

Re: First you have to have the opportunity to play them.

Dec 3, 2012, 10:31 PM [ in reply to First you have to have the opportunity to play them. ]

Well, they beat the cr$p out of us. What's there to say?

Re: Dalton Freeman was almost right when he said...

Dec 3, 2012, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Dalton Freeman was almost right when he said... ]

We do need to start beating these type programs, but to beat them, we first must play them. These match ups show us where we really are as a program, and playing them more regularly does a lot to make our program a better one, because it really exposes our weaknesses. Playing scar once a year doesn't give as much a real indication as if we played that competition regularly, IMO, although it does show the improvement in their program on the field.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 3, 2012, 9:16 AM [ in reply to Dalton Freeman was almost right when he said... ]

.... you have to beat them eventually

Razz (and many of us) need patience. Dabo is building something. And losing to the three best teams we've faced isn't "hallow." It's acceptable as long as we're improving. Only a negative, cynical coot would say that beating all ACC teams by double the margin we beat them last year is is not improvement. Once we recruit and build up some tougher linemen, Dabo will have this team in a better place to actually win these types of games.

Improvement? We beat ONE AQ-team (NCSU) with winning record

Dec 3, 2012, 1:11 PM

And even at that it was a crappy (7-5) NCSU team that got
Last season Clemson won 6 games against AQ teams with winning records.

So how does it show improvement because this year Clemson beat weaker teams by a higher margin? That's nonsense.

Yeah, yeah, "Once we recruit and build up some tougher linemen, Dabo will have this team in a better place..." I heard the same thing for a decade under Bowden (several years of which Dabo saw first hand). It's not like Dabo took over the helm last season. We're 4-1/2 years into Dabo's HC tenure and the soft-linemen problem continues to plague Clemson. Batson still has his job. Our OL continues to get pushed around by smaller guys. But it's all going to change "next year" because Dabo (like Bowden for a decade before him) is building a program.

Re: Improvement? We beat ONE AQ-team (NCSU) with winning record

Dec 3, 2012, 1:25 PM

You are in year 9 with probation steve. You will never win an sec football championship. Enjoy your 5th place rings.

Re: Improvement? We beat ONE AQ-team (NCSU) with winning record

Dec 3, 2012, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Improvement? We beat ONE AQ-team (NCSU) with winning record ]

You are absolutely right. We are a soft, relatively weak team. And still Dabo supports Batson. Go figure. I think Dabo is a fine man, but I think the jury is stil out regarding how good a coach he is. I think the current culture at Clemson is soft and permissive.

Welp...

Dec 3, 2012, 1:38 AM

Time to put up or shut up, with our offense if we don't get crazy aggressive with the lead like vs scar I bet we beat em...if we start doing drop back passes and long developing plays when we are getting 5 yards a carry from our rb's it will be a looooong off season...

Re: Welp...

Dec 3, 2012, 10:45 PM

After the first quarter, their defensive front dominated our offensive line. Bigger, stronger, more physical. End of story.

Re: Front Page Story: Clemson to face LSU in Chick-Fil-A Bowl

Dec 3, 2012, 3:09 AM

Excellent Opportunity for Clemson^^

Re: Front Page Story: Clemson to face LSU in Chick-Fil-A Bowl

Dec 3, 2012, 9:01 AM

Yep! What he said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is a bigtime opportunity for Clemson

Dec 3, 2012, 8:19 AM

to show on the national stage it can compete with tough physical teams. But it could also turn in to an embarrassment, like last year's bowl game.

I really hope the team focuses hard and makes the most of this opportunity.

If Clemson doesn't win this game

Dec 3, 2012, 9:11 AM

what have we proved this year?

That we beat Ball state?
That we beat Wake or Nc State?

its a chance on a big stage for the team to prove this
year wasn't a fluke.
I'll keep saying it; DABO MUST, MUST take more of a
buisness appraoch to this Bowl.

This year was a 180 degree turn from last year even though

Dec 3, 2012, 9:24 AM

the record for wins and loses may very well be the same.

This has been a very good season. You ask what does it prove??

It proves we can beat everybody we were supposed to beat and beat them soundly. In past years this has not been the case.

It's just a fact that as long as we're faced with playing Ball State, Wake, NCSU, Duke, etc., all we can do is line up and beat them. If they make us work to beat them, then maybe we can say we have a problem, but when we beat all of them by and average of 14 points, then we've done all we can do.

We lost a couple of games we were not totally expected to win. This just proves that when we face teams that are better than we are ... we might lose to them simply because they were just better teams.

We all want more ... we want to win them all ... to me, this season just proves we're getting there (albiet slowly.)

Re: This year was a 180 degree turn from last year even though

Dec 3, 2012, 9:42 AM

I do like the consistency. It was always frustrating to beat a good team, then turn right around a lose to a Duke or a Maryland...

Bring on the D recruits so Venables has something to work with before The Chad takes a head coaching job somewhere. Once we get it clicking on both sides of the ball, we'll be unstoppable. Until then, we'll keep losing to teams who can play keepaway.

I hope our boys are hittin the weight room hard and getting ready for a physical game. And for Christ's sake, learn how to tackle.

Go Tigers.

Dec 3, 2012, 11:09 PM

Good post. We do need to revaamp our S&C program, and this means leting go of Batson. We have to get back to beef and raw strength. That's how Danny won with "2 stas" players year after year. Dabo.in my opinion, is soft and overly-indulgent with the players. Hate to say it, but I think this will be proved out dramaticaly when LSU crushes us in the bowl game.

YAWN!***

Dec 3, 2012, 11:42 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2012, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Re: This year was a 180 degree turn from last year even though ]

You don't learn how to tackle in the weight room. You learn it on the practice field. We should be going number one O against number one D every day in practice. How else can we learn and get tough? So what if we hurt a few people. The one's left will be SEC tough!

Dec 3, 2012, 10:22 AM [ in reply to This year was a 180 degree turn from last year even though ]

We lost at home, as the favored team.

How is that "games we were not totally expected to win."

Re: It was a "pick'em" game

Dec 3, 2012, 1:09 PM

The game was a virtual "pick'em" Home field being the reason we were favored. Everybody (well, everybody who seriously pays attention) realizes that.

We weren't "supposed to win" ... We were judged to have a good chance to win.

We didn't and SCAR was just the better team. We beat the teams we were "supposed" to beat by an average of 14 points.

Re: It was a "pick'em" game

Dec 4, 2012, 10:16 PM

Their number two QB beat our number one QB.

Dec 3, 2012, 10:57 PM [ in reply to This year was a 180 degree turn from last year even though ]

If we are not better than Fla. State, then we are really in bad shape. South Carolina was a
bigger, stronger, tougher team. They won. Suprise?

Re: If Clemson doesn't win this game

Dec 3, 2012, 10:53 PM [ in reply to If Clemson doesn't win this game ]

He can't create hours in the weight room that haven't occurred. The strength and size that come from long hours humping iron and running wind sprints hasn't been done. It's too late, folks. Weak and permissive culture at Clemson continues.

We get to see the younger Rivers in action.

Dec 3, 2012, 10:57 AM

I grew up with the Rivers family in Athens, Alabama. Philip Rivers was much older, but his younger brother Steven was in my class. We were best friends for years, but he is the 2nd string QB at LSU. Can't wait to see him in action.

Does he have a kid?***

Dec 3, 2012, 11:04 AM

Crap or get off commode

Dec 3, 2012, 11:45 AM

I hope we:
- find physical football players on defense, if you are going to get beat don't do it arm tackling and pushing QBs down on free shots
- Morris spends more time on game plan that does include our opponents strengths/weaknesses than interviewing for other jobs
- Dabo watches plenty of film on LSU and picks up how LSU creates an attitude like we had in 80s.
- LSU watches film on us and thinks cupcake and then tells twitter and their local media all about how soft we look and how soft ACC is. It can then post here and everywhere and see if our team will respond on the field.

We need a win like this, and if we don't win we need to earn some respect for our program.

**Note - pls dont punt in a 2 poss game with 4 min left***

Dec 3, 2012, 11:48 AM

Re: Crap or get off commode

Dec 3, 2012, 11:31 PM [ in reply to Crap or get off commode ]

I echo your sentiments,but really doubt that Dabo can or will comprehend what he is facing. Our Ol will be overpowered, thus giving Tagh little or no time to effectively pass. Our OL is at best average, and we don't have a power back to run north and south to keep them honest. Our Dl is average, and our secondary is patehtic. I Dont aee any way that we even keep this one close. Hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Dec 3, 2012, 12:13 PM

You learn to beat them by plying them. It'll be a good reminder for who's coming in September

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Dec 3, 2012, 11:34 PM

Let's not lose by 70.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic