Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Martavis in a unfortunate position...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 3,031

Martavis in a unfortunate position...

Oct 25, 2017, 7:15 PM

I'll preface what I write that I 100% believe Martavis has made his own bed, due to his own actions from years ago. So don't waste your time with: "....he should shut his mouth, he gets paid millions, blah, blah, blah". I get it, you think he's privileged. Heck, I agree. He's fortunate to have that opportunity. However, there is a double standard that exists within the Steelers organization.

Even though MB has done everything right to get back to playing, he's still paying the price. There is no question he's a 2nd class citizen, and not getting targets/looks that he used to. Not even close. I know this just reading and listening to Big Ben's comments over the last 18 months. Despite struggling with a VERY real problem (depression), that many of us can't even fathom, he fought back, very much on his own, to get back to the starting lineup. But that isn't good enough in the eyes of some, which is unfortunate.

And, b/c of his past he has now no voice. He can't say a d @ m n thing. Not denying that when you make a mistake, you lose your ability to talk (or talk w/out consequence). Not disputing that one bit. However, lets remember...

1) Big Ben isn't without history either. A man 2x accused of sexual assaults, who has constantly thrown his own players under the bus (even this year) with never a consequence. Heck, he even got a raise after the 2nd sexual assault making him the 11th highest paid athlete in the world at the time. I find it odd that someone with his history, can (or even would) say what he does, much less the fact it's never a distraction. Actually, if I had the history that Big Ben had (especially vs Martavis) I'd be MUCH more likely to keep my mouth shut and stay out of the public eye. I'd much rather be the person that struggled with depression and marijuana use than several rape allegations.

2) Even Antonio Brown can throw a hissy, toss a cooler, and take a swipe and the OC, but, again, that's not a distraction. I'll admit, he doesn't have quite the history that Big Ben and Martavis does, so maybe he's built up some credit. However, it's still suspect that he can record videos during locker room meetings, throw tantrums during the game, swipe at coaches,.......all with no consequence.

Again, I have no real issue with the punishment of being demoted to scout team, in and of itself. However, when compared to others, on the same team, with recent issues, a double standard obviously exists.

I can't say I blame him for wanting a trade. Probably didn't express that in the right channels, but it's not with pretty good reason in my eyes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He did everything the NFL required, now the Steelers are

Oct 25, 2017, 7:29 PM

Testing him to see if he’s a team player and he’s failed. Why would the Steelers make him a big part of their team? He’s missed 20 games to suspension. Why shouldn’t the Steelers test his maturity? He has to proven he can stay active more than half a season before they can trust him completely and the way he’s handled himself just proves they were right not to make him a focal point. He’s lucky they haven’t cut him because there is no guarantee he’d be picked up.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL. That's laughable.

Oct 25, 2017, 7:44 PM

Steelers took him back and accepted what he had done to get back to playing. He served his time. To further prove this, the Steelers cleared him first,....they were waiting on the NFL to finally clear him to start the season.

Organization don't play games like that. Period. That's not professional. Someone like Big Ben might hold grudges (and not throw his way, etc), but an organization doesn't go into game planning each week saying, "Make sure we don't throw to Martavis more than 3x per game. We gotta test his manhood some more".

If they did, then where is the punishment for Antonio or Ben? They made just as many stupid mistakes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really? Then why have they not made him a bigger part of

Oct 25, 2017, 9:01 PM

Their game plan? Teams test players manhood all the time and in this case MB failed. If you were the coach would you build your passing game around a player who shown he can’t stay on the field? If MB worked for federal, state, or local government, or 99% of the publicly traded companies in this country he would have been fired when he failed the first drug test.

MB biggest problem sounds like he’s getting advice from people like you who are trying to tell him he’s a victim. Instead he needs to grow up and just be thankful they haven’t cut him because that’s what’s coming next if he doesn’t change his attitude.

Re: Martavis in a unfortunate position...

Oct 25, 2017, 7:34 PM

Sounds as if you have some inside info that most of us aren’t privileged to have.maybe if you let the over paid drug head move in with you you could understand his job is to help the team not screw with drugs and get suspended for a year in which he didn’t help the team.Now he is back and wants all his infractions to be forgotten.Doctors help depression not designer drugs

if you watched the games, and read what I wrote

Oct 25, 2017, 7:47 PM

I'm not disputing Martavis has made his own bed, but, he's got a legitimate gripe about not being used in the offense.

Thus the title of my post "Martavis is in an unfortunate position".

However, his punishment, compared to the actions of others on the team is not of the same standard. That's my beef with this whole deal.

which he arranged personally.....

Oct 25, 2017, 7:41 PM

After already being suspended.... for multiple offenses. He ran his mouth, when he should have just played as hard as he could. That would have put him in a better position to negotiate in the future, with whom ever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: which he arranged personally.....

Oct 25, 2017, 7:49 PM

or, he should have been accused rape 2x. Worked for Big Ben! He got huge contract after the 2nd one.

Maybe throwing a cooler or taking a swipe at the OC will bring Antonio Brown a nice raise....

Re: which he arranged personally.....

Oct 26, 2017, 1:11 AM

Reminds me of the story about a little birdie that fell from the sky freezing

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Oct 25, 2017, 7:49 PM

If you did what he did in your job, you would not have been allowed back. You would have been fired. I know I am old school but no player should be allowed back after that. They would learn something and it would Teach them all to follow rules.

First, you shouldn't assume that

Oct 25, 2017, 7:59 PM

I wouldn't have a job. You're not even close, chief. I know where you're coming from, but that's a hypothetical situation, and in this particular instance, you're wrong about what I would or would not get fired for.

Secondly, my debate isn't with what he's done, nor is it about comparing him to someone's else's job. It's the disproportionate of the handling of his actions vs prior events in the Steelers organization.

Re: First, you shouldn't assume that

Oct 25, 2017, 8:01 PM

You need to check the rules with almost all big companies, you are the one wrong.

you didn't say all big companies.

Oct 25, 2017, 8:08 PM

you said "If you did what he did in YOUR job, YOU would not have been allowed back".

I don't have a problem with anything you have said, even

Oct 25, 2017, 8:58 PM

your proposition - not saying I agree its true - that Ben is denying him targets or that others get by with weird behavior. Where I disagree with you is the idea that this creates an unfortunate position. This is not a relative situation. What he has cost the organization and his teammates to date is huge, and the bet they have made on this future is much less sure than it was before: the Steelers are also in a very unfortunate situation, one Bryant caused. It is therefore not unreasonable for Bryant to expect that his road back would be gradual, that it would take some time for Ben and others to trust him. That stands alone, regardless of what is happening with anyone else.

The fact that others have more trust, deserved or not, is irrelevant here. This is about Bryant and only Bryant, not anyone else or what anyone else gets or doesn't get. Its Bryant's unwillingness to accept this that leads to the stupid things he says. So Bryant can keep looking at what others are getting rather than what he deserves, and thinking his situation is unfortunate, and he will soon be out of the league. Deservedly so.

Martavis has a habit of putting himself in unfortunate

Oct 25, 2017, 9:04 PM

positions.

Sad.

Oct 26, 2017, 7:22 AM

You make some valid points and bring some perspective to the conversation. Overcoming depression is truly a battle, and one that many end up losing. Doing so while trying to compete at the highest levels is a mighty tall order to fill. It's good to have people in your corner, the world can be a lovely place. I have to say that using marijuana is a better option than consuming alcohol, for those being judgmental, and he's endangered no one. How many do that every Saturday during football season? A fresh start is what's needed here imho.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 3,031
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic