Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
First viewing of Tiger BB, and analysis (long, nuanced)...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

First viewing of Tiger BB, and analysis (long, nuanced)...

Jan 6, 2018, 5:30 PM

Louisville's length was bothersome, and is this a preview of UNC, then? Yet we handled it pretty well in a largely half-court, slow-down game, so I have to say kudos there. Our guards, who penetrate pretty well, got rejected a lot when they went among the trees. It would be nice to see a forward slash down hard and get the dime but we don't seem to have a forward who wants the ball that badly, or guards who look like they're willing to dish - not sure which. Once or twice they did flick it to Thomas under there, but his hands are a little suspect and he loses the ball if it isn't perfect. Still, Thomas is a must-have on the court, has decent inside moves (and left hand), and good defender (includes rebounding), and alters shots with his length. He only played five minutes in the first half.

I like the defense I see out there, the rotations, the quickness, the coverages. This is speared quite a bit by (in order) Reid and Mitchell, Devoe, and Grantham, and Thomas as rim protector (when he can stay out of foul trouble).

The big guy Donnal off the bench is a critical depth element and he does serviceable work during Thomas's foul outages, and's a good pick-and-roll screen hedger also.

Grantham impresses me as a cerebral, mature player who plays within himself and does not try to do too much for his ability. He helps in handling the ball on the perimeter and against pressure as well. He had solid defense and some important rebounds, which is more than I've seen out of him in the past. I was disappointed in his outside shooting. I'm not bothered when a player has an off night and the balls rim in and out, but his are bad misses, as if he isn't familiar with the spacing or rims. However, then I learned in the post-game that he had stomach problems going in, so I'm going to give him a pass on this today. I know all about these problems, and they're tough.

The other bench scrubs that came in (Skara, mainly) were solid guys who worked hard, produced some statistically, and stayed in the flow and did not upend the rhythm of the team. Brownell seems very comfortable with his rotations. I still think he lacks in understanding rhythms of players, and if a player is playing well he should be left in the game. Some players get better and better and more in the flow as they get more and more sweaty and tired, but there seems to be this carousel philosophy that they're tired and they have to come out every three minutes. (I never had "TV timeouts" in college, and rarely came out of the game). On Grantham's dunk-and-one, he was immediately pulled out of the game. I would hope this is ONLY because he was sick and expended a lot on the play and needed to come out. Otherwise, you leave him in after that play because that got him and the crowd going.

By and large we were an ice-cold shooting team today, so I'll just blame the winter air. We got plenty of looks and shots, but nobody did much till later in the game. This must have been our low percentage for the year, can't imagine this not the case. Yet look at the FT's - outstanding percentage once again, and needed those late, in OT especially.

I'm going to say to the guards in critical late game situations when a player like Thomas gets the rebound and tends to panic - run UP to him and get the ball from him like a handoff. He made a very bad turnover with about a minute to play, frenetic all around him, he panicked and threw it away. I looked at the guards and they were just standing there waiting for him to pass the ball through a suspect lane. Or the big guy should be trained to call a timeout as worst case - but don't just chunk the ball away.

I saved the best for last and that is the scorer/pickpocket number two. This guy is a lynchpin player, must have on the court. I say number two because he needs to keep playing the way he plays and forget his own name, let nothing go to his head, because he is the real deal and the reason we won, the easy MVP, if you were to name one player on the court. Don't go near this guy on a sidewalk or airport unless your wallet is in a pouch bag! His scoring and defense (5 steals) were instrumental. Two steals late were huge turning points in the outcome of the game. He is by far the best scorer on the team and a potential All-ACC first teamer, and I haven't even seen the rest of the players in the ACC. He just needs to keep forgetting who he is, look like a kid on Christmas morning out there, and this team can go places.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: First viewing of Tiger BB, and analysis (long, nuanced)...

Jan 6, 2018, 8:08 PM

Grantham has came up huge with a lot of clutch plays and shots this year. Much improved. Him and Reid hit multiple right back at you shots last game versus BC. They both either matched a BC big shot or hit one to break up BC runs on Wednesday night. Another thing that might have been giving Grantham problems, beyond the stomach illness you mentioned, is he came up grabbing his wrist in the final seconds last game up in Chestnut Hill. I never saw anything regarding his injury but can say it very well could have been an issue today. I haven't had a chance to see today's game to know fully about his play, fwiw.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2018, 8:21 PM

boy, that's a LOT to pick up off of seeing them play one time. did you miss the little nuance that eli and donte both had the flu?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 6, 2018, 10:03 PM

Look at the box score. The concern would be guys playing too many minutes rather than "interrupting their rhythm. I've seen every game but one and this is normally the case. BB has said he needs to get the other guys some more minutes to keep the starters from wearing down over the course of the season

Jan 7, 2018, 7:05 AM

Hey Silva we are 13-1. 3-0 in Acc and all I heard from you were how bad we played and how you would have done it better. Got some advice for you. Don't give up your day job

Maybe you need to watch NC

Jan 7, 2018, 7:53 AM

they start a 6'0 PG, a 6'7 short armed PF, and a raw, freshman center

Hopefully you can watch more of our games this year.

Jan 7, 2018, 9:42 AM

We are a very talented bunch, with good players at all five positions and what seems to be excellent team chemistry.

As you probably noticed, our backcourt is our strength this year. What you didn't see yesterday, with the exception of Reed, is that Mitchell, Reed, and DeVoe all play smart basketball for the most part, and can all shoot the ball. Yesterday was easily our worst outside shooting performance of the year. We typically make them at a much better clip. Nonetheless, Reed and DeVoe stepped up in crunch time yesterday and made huge shots.

Grantham has been a wonderful surprise this year. He seems to benefit a lot from not having to share court space with Blossomgame. He has been shooting lights out this year. However, toward the end of our previous game against BC, he got floor burn on his right (shooting) hand. This surely affected him yesterday, as did the flu. In every game this year except yesterday's, he can be counted on for big shots, tough rebounds, and good senior leadership.

As you noted, Thomas doesn't have the softest hands, and he does have a propensity for fouls. He is absolutely critical for our team's performance moving forward. While Donnal is a serviceable backup big man, it will benefit us greatly for true freshman Amir Simms to continue to develop. He already has a developed body, and was our highest rated recruit in the 2018 class, but he is still learning. I thought he played well yesterday in the minutes he got.

Brownell stated in his postgame press conference that we need to continue to develop depth. We only played a few reserves yesterday. Ideally, we will get to the point over the next 3-4 weeks where we can go 9-10 deep. It would be great if Donnal, Skara, Simms, Trapp, and Oliver all give us valuable minutes each game. This is certainly more difficult when playing top 25 conference foes, which we will do regularly throughout the next couple of months.

I still contend that this is arguably our most talented basketball team we've ever had, top to bottom. While there are no Larry Nances or Elden Campbells on this team, there are some very good players. I love our balance on offense, and the fact that any of our starting five can (and have) scored 20 points in a game this year. I don't know that we have ever had that, as well as very good team defense, on one team.

Here's to beating the Tar Heels in Chapel Hill this year, for the first time ever!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Hopefully you can watch more of our games this year.

Jan 7, 2018, 9:53 AM

My son commented yesterday that as you say our strength is our guard play. Not an experienced enough basketball fan, but Mitchell, Reid, and Devoe to me all play essentially a variant of the guard position. Gabe and Reid both hit critical 3's and I feel even better that you said yesterday was our worst outside shooting performance of the year. This team has stepped it up on defense compared to last year, and I agree we have rarely seen a Clemson team with this many folks who can actually score the ball. Wishing them success, and I am glad Clemson did not pull the trigger on Brownell last year.

Re: Hopefully you can watch more of our games this year.

Jan 7, 2018, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Hopefully you can watch more of our games this year. ]

Thanks, Judge, for this assessment. I am inclined to agree with most of your points. Seeing as I was a freshman in '96, I would argue that was a stronger team. That, however, is a pointless claim.

Yesterday, was not exactly a great representation of our overall body of work. What it did show, for the second game in a row, was our ability to overcome adversity and close out a game against an ACC opponent.

I am also with you regarding the skill level of our individual players. While I would like to see Grantham want the ball more in clutch situations, he has the tendency to sag into the corner and defer to Reed. I have no problem with that, however, because Marquise has proven his worth. The vastly improved quality of Grantham's play is undeniable, though. I was unaware of his ailments, yesterday. Not an easy game to play while under the weather.

Drives me nuts to read negatives about our guard play. Shelton Mitchell's improvement is incredible. I worried when Holmes left how we would handle pressure. Not as worried anymore. On top of that, Shelton finished a drive with his right, through contact and foul, that most righties in the ACC couldn't have finished.

Then there are the Elijah Thomas comments about being clumsy (earlier this week) or panicking (which was really based on one TO). Dude is the best true 5 man I can remember since... He's actually the only true 5 I can remember since Tom Wideman, though Nnoko was developing a nice little jump hook (and I didn't say Trevor Booker because he really played a 4). Overall, the best back to the basket, true post play, I can remember. No offense, Judge. I think I'm a hair younger.

Tigers are looking solid. I definitely appreciate the insight re: reserves. We look like an old school ACC team where everyone knows their role and any given player can rise up and be a hero in any given game. I loved watching them at 17-16 because there were flashes of good basketball, but this is definitely a lot more fun. Go Tigers!

Thanks, we are about the same age.

Jan 7, 2018, 12:11 PM

I was a freshman at Clemson in '98. The earliest Clemson teams I saw in person were the late 80s teams with Elden Campbell and Dale Davis.

That '96-'97 team you mentioned was very good. Very good guard play by McIntyre, Code, and Buckner - although Buckner could certainly go inside when needed, despite being 6'4" or 6'5". Our big guys weren't offensive juggernauts, but they played tough defense and rebounded well. Plus, we had some good reserves who could give quality minutes off the bench.

I think this team rivals that '96-'97 team in terms of overall talent from top to bottom. Hopefully this team will be just as successful in the NCAA Tournament.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

#2 Reed is the man. He's been our clear stopper to date in

Jan 7, 2018, 12:32 PM

being that guy who seems to continuously step up and turn the tide in our direction with key plays. Yesterday he started three clear rallies and runs; one a 3 in the 2nd to start a 15-4 run, a drive that put him on the file line to sink 2 that started another run, and of course in the beginning of OT. When Reed hits a key shot or makes a key play, our whole team seems to pick it up another notch more than others. Love watching this guy play.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic