Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
First trip to Clemson - looking for some advice
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 63
| visibility 1

First trip to Clemson - looking for some advice

Oct 6, 2013, 3:22 PM

A group of 6 of us are taking a road trip to Clemson (from Cincinnati) for the Florida St game. This will be our first time at Clemson and at Death Valley. Needless to say we are all excited.

Looking for some advice/input. We will be getting on campus on Friday afternoon.

Where is the best local- on campus place to eat Friday night? Good atmosphere, on campus, good food and good beers.

Where is the best place to tailgate? Where are all the tents set up? A quad? A field near the stadium?

Thanks to any input and Go Tigers.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

suffice to say

Oct 6, 2013, 3:26 PM

if you are looking for the "place tents are"... you are going to be thoroughly impressed

Enjoy

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

^^^ THIS CRACKED ME UP ^^^

Oct 6, 2013, 10:41 PM

"place tents are" LOL

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Re: ^^^ THIS CRACKED ME UP ^^^

Oct 7, 2013, 8:52 AM

why is that so funny?

Oct 7, 2013, 8:57 AM

Because it is everywhere. There is a reason we have won best tailgate in the south 2 years in a row. As far as best place downtown, even the Subway is rocking lol.

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Oct 7, 2013, 9:35 AM

awesome. I guess I will have to experience it firsthand. Thanks.

Firsthand your mind is gonna be blown.

Oct 7, 2013, 10:33 AM

The entire town is the tailgate. This is a trip you will never forget I can assure you of that.

A fellow Ohioan!

Welcome to DV! Are you driving or flying?

Re: A fellow Ohioan!

Oct 6, 2013, 3:35 PM

Driving. Leaving early Friday morning.

Oct 6, 2013, 3:42 PM

We drive too. It's not a rough drive at all. Heck, we have season tickets so we don't think it's too bad.

Hopefully GameDay will be there!

Oct 6, 2013, 3:58 PM

Another Ohioan here!
Have a great trip. It is an amazing experience.

The Esso club is a must!

I also like tiger town tavern... There will be tents everywhere!!! The whole campus is basically tailgating!!! If you could
Get a pass in lot 5 you would be right in the thick of it, but you better get your wallet ready!!!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also lots 1 and 2. TDs is another good food, beer joint....***

Oct 6, 2013, 3:35 PM

Re: Also lots 1 and 2. TDs is another good food, beer joint....***

Oct 7, 2013, 11:02 AM

I assume lots 1 and 2 are in a grass field? That's what it sounds like? I would obviously prefer grass over a parking lot.

I know kickoff hasn't been set yet but do the locals know what time it will be? 3:30? 7pm?

Should be a night kick

Oct 7, 2013, 11:08 AM

The grass lots are 1,2,3, 4, and 13. Lot 3 isn't a massive parking lot like the others it's more of a park on the side of the road type of deal. Some people like it but I prefer 1 or 13.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Esso club is a must!

Oct 6, 2013, 3:37 PM [ in reply to The Esso club is a must! ]

Ok I will look on eBay. Thanks. Looking forward to it

Oct 6, 2013, 3:55 PM

you could also look here for parking passes, but they aren't cheap

http://www.tigernet.com/tickets.do

Oct 6, 2013, 9:06 PM [ in reply to The Esso club is a must! ]

My two favorites are lots 1 and 2 because of the grass. However, good luck finding cheap passes for sale in those lots for the FSU game. But, if you've got the money to spend, that's where you need to tailgate, IMHO.

Oct 7, 2013, 11:03 AM [ in reply to The Esso club is a must! ]

I assume lot 5 is a grass field? It sounds like most of them are. Would obviously prefer grass over a parking lot.

I know it's not been set yet, but do the local Tiger fans know when kickoff will be? Hopefully it's a night game.

ALL over. Get ready to be overwhelmed.

Oct 6, 2013, 3:27 PM

Welcome and enjoy your stay.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Mellow Mushroom for food. TigerTown Tavern for drink

Oct 6, 2013, 3:31 PM

Tailgating is everywhere. You need to procure a parking pass off ebay or somewhere.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Mellow Mushroom for food. TigerTown Tavern for drink

Oct 6, 2013, 3:36 PM

Will do. Thanks.

Actually, look here....

Oct 6, 2013, 3:43 PM

http://www.tigernet.com/view/tickets.do?category=Football+Parking&srt=d&subcategory=Florida+State

Welcome & enjoy your stay!

Oct 7, 2013, 9:25 AM

You picked a heck of a game to attend. Do you guys pick a different game to attend each year?

Re: Welcome & enjoy your stay!

Oct 7, 2013, 9:35 AM

Yes. We have been to Penn St., Ohio St, Alabama, Ole Miss, Georgia, Auburn, LSU, and Tenn. We picked Clemson this year and cannot wait to experience it.

Very cool. J/C how would you rank each experience?

Oct 7, 2013, 9:40 AM

I have been to three of those (Bama, Auburn & UGA).

I know a lot depends on the game since Bama was an early game vs. a nobody.

Welcome to Clemson and enjoy your stay!!***

Oct 6, 2013, 3:38 PM

My brother lives in CINCY

Oct 6, 2013, 3:42 PM

Can you bring him with you?

The Esso is an absolute must! As for tailgating spots,

Oct 6, 2013, 3:52 PM

the entire campus turns into one gigantic tailgate. Once you get here, you'll see. There are people tailgating literally anywhere and everywhere you can find a patch of grass. Welcome to Clemson, home of the REAL Death Valley, Tigers, and color orange. Enjoy yourself.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As for tailgating spots, most near campus require a pass

Oct 6, 2013, 3:59 PM

If you get there early enough head down college avenue where a few spots are available for $. Also on North Clemson Avenue there are a few homeowners that sell spots. Expect them to go for $50-$75 or more for that game. You can also tailgate at the Y-beach and take a bus from there to the game. I believe you can also find a spot out on Perimeter Road but it will be a hike to the game.

Yes they do. I figured with it being his first trip to

Oct 6, 2013, 4:12 PM

Clemson, that he wouldn't have a parking pass. I guess my explanation wasn't as clear as it should've been. Thanks for clarifying that for him. I was purely thinking about once they get on campus, find a spot to park, and are looking for places to go.....not that they could just park anywhere. Again, thanks for the clarification to my post and for our fellow tiger.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

be sure and check out the oculus

Oct 6, 2013, 4:01 PM

Jk. Enjoy. Its an awesome place. Our quiet lil upstate campus. We wouldn't trade it for anything.

i believe our season-opening public bb practice,

Oct 6, 2013, 4:01 PM

"rock the john" is that Friday night..and it is a very easy walk from the esso club and mellow mushroom..we will be lucky to break even in acc play this year, but with no seniors, we should be pretty good in 2014/15 and beyond.

GoTiguhs!!

Re: First trip to Clemson

Oct 6, 2013, 4:09 PM

Sardis, Esso, TDs, TTT, Smoking Pig are all good local places.

Wear orange and have a good time!

Wear orange.

Re: First trip to Clemson - looking for some advice

Oct 6, 2013, 4:15 PM

Restaurants within walking distance to campus:
Palmetto's Smokehouse & Oyster Bar
356 Sushi
Spill the Beans (ice cream shop- fun place if you've got kids)
(and the normal- Subway, Chipotle, etc)

Bars with food:
Tiger Town Tavern (where the students hang out)
TD's

Famous bar for atmosphere:
Esso Club

Restaurants you have to drive to:
Calhoun Corner (nicer)
Pot Belly Deli
Seasons by the Lake (@the Madren Center golf course)

Tailgating is everywhere!
We're in Lot 4 by the water, but there are fields full of tents everywhere you look. :)

Gotta plug Pixie and Bill's

Oct 6, 2013, 5:08 PM

First date with my wife was there 25 years ago this fall

Oct 7, 2013, 8:57 AM [ in reply to Re: First trip to Clemson - looking for some advice ]

awesome. Thank you for the advice.

Enjoy The Promised Land.....Here is What You Need to See

Oct 6, 2013, 5:28 PM

1) Bowman Field, right across from downtown, it is overlooked by Tillman Hall (Clocktower).

2) Tigertown Tavern about 300 yards down the main road (college avenue 133)across from Bowman Field. Make sure you are there for closing time on Friday night to sing along.

3) Esso Club great place to hit before the game Saturday, it is about 700 yards West of Bowman field on hwy 93

4) The top of the hill and Frank Howard's Rock. From Bowman field walk West past the North side of Tillman hall and get on Heisman st follow it 300 yards, when it hits Williamson ave take a left and walk 150 yards you will see stadium. Walk to the East endzone and pay your respects.

5) Tailgating on Saturday - Wear your team team colors, even FSU colors, be polite and you will get more free food and drink and friends than you thought possible.

Come back to Tnet when you are back home and tell us about your trip.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 6, 2013, 5:39 PM

Basically anywhere is fun to tailgate. The west side of campus is where a lot of the tailgaters are, there is a huge "tent city" where there is nothing but a big party and an awesome and crazy atmosphere.

Before the game the band does a show in the amphitheater (center of campus in front of the library) 90 minutes before kickoff. Then they parade down Fort Hill Street towards the stadium.

DO NOT MISS THE TIGERS RUNNING DOWN THE HILL!!!!!!

Great places to eat are Skins (best hot dogs EVER), Sardis BBQ (order it with the mustard sauce!!) and the Smoking Pig. Those are just on the outside of town though. Downtown you have Tiger Town Tavern but they usually pull the younger crowd. TD's on the corner is good too, so is Overtime.

Esso Club is across from Death Valley on Perimeter Road just past downtown, thats where the older fan crowd hangs out. In general, just make your rounds downtown.

But seriously, don't miss the hill entrance.

Oct 6, 2013, 5:42 PM

you definitely have to eat at the esso at some point on the trip its pretty much on campus cant miss it

Oct 6, 2013, 6:03 PM

If you like brisket,bbq,and ribs go to the smoking pig Friday night. Outstanding,and the sides are just as good.

Oct 6, 2013, 6:19 PM

Arrive early stay late don't be afraid to walk the tailgate areas and visit. Leave the car early to get in your seat so you do not miss running down the hill. The bottle neck at the gate and in the tunnels into the stands will take some time. Downtown is a short walk 15 min - 20 min. Esso club is a short walk from lots 3, 4 and 5 and public parking. The trip from the Y lot is long so find a friend and get his lot or parking area and plan to join him if you dont have parking. Water water every where but ner a drop to drink. Take water. Wear Orange, Cheeer loud and enjoy the day. Get by Tilman hall and bowman field and take a view of the rock. Join the fans on the filed after the game and "gather at the paw" If your early enough go to the lawn at Little John and enjoy the radio pregame show there. Short walk to the Esso club from there. There is a lot to do and its a big campus. Ice cream at the student union is a winner also. Through some blue cheese in the cooler to take home.

Message was edited by: CUTIGERTIM®

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Re: Its hard to do in one trip Lot 5 for Tiger Walk

Oct 6, 2013, 6:25 PM

Lot 5 for Tiger Walk prior toi the game

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

We'll be glad to have you at Lot 3 #186

Oct 6, 2013, 5:43 PM

We're on the lawn at Littlejohn! We've got a group of 30+-people! Come by for a beer and watch a little of the early games with us on the TV!!

Simple..ask Brett Musberger ("Most exciting 25 seconds in..

Oct 6, 2013, 6:36 PM

college football") creator on Clemson Football.

He loves the ESSO CLUB block from stadium for a beer outside in parking lot or be brave and go inside..

Then, he'd probably chose Calhoun Corners (in old merchantile store building just across from antique Train Station where Coach John Heisman caught train early one morning to take HC job at Ga Tech for 10% of the gate & $3K salary..or Pixy & Bill's for real high quality dining (but both located way out on bypass from downtown).

Also, on Gameday go near uptown area but across the street to our large lawn area called Bowman Field to enjoy ESPN morning show...

And, then walk to other side of Tillman Hall Building at top of lawn to visit the John C. Calhoun Mansion (probably most important man in Civil War in that he just about started it single-handily..and Father-In-Law to Philly native Thomas Green Clemson)..

and just a few yards west from that location (hour before kickoff) the TigerBand will assemble with cheerleaders to play Tiger Rag fight song several times as they match in file down that outside the stadium hill..turning to their right at famous North End Zone..cracking out Tiger Rag again..before turning to their left..to play it again...and then taking a left to where the Buses assemble to take the team back around that same route (in reverse).

I would "get into" the stadium after following Band down the outside hill..and if your seats are in the regular main part of stadium (saying, not in Upper Deck) then head over to the end zone where The HILL & Howard's ROCK is located under largest scoreboard so to be close to Team as they enter..touch ROCK and run down rug onto field...and THEN proceed to your seats.

And, if Tigers win go out onto Howard's Field and enjoy the rush & step on the Orange PAW.

Enjoy..should be one heck of a fight for rights to be ACC Champs & a NC contender.

Oh, Welcome to Death Valley #1, SC.

Go#3TiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We'll be glad to have you at Lot 3 #186

Oct 7, 2013, 9:02 AM [ in reply to We'll be glad to have you at Lot 3 #186 ]

that would be awesome. There are 6 of us, am going to look online now for a parking pass. Hope to see you on the 19th!

Go Tigers

Re: We'll be glad to have you at Lot 3 #186

Oct 7, 2013, 11:00 AM [ in reply to We'll be glad to have you at Lot 3 #186 ]

Will look for a parking pass for lot 3. i assume it's a grass field? Are most of them grass fields?

I know kickoff hasn't been set yet, but is there a time when everyone thinks it will be?

Tiger walk will be two hours before kickoff behind west

Oct 6, 2013, 6:24 PM

End zone. Also band and cheerleaders parade down Avenue of Champions (under ramp to a North upper deck) about 45 minutes before kick

I have a parking pass u could have, it's lot 13, below base-

Oct 6, 2013, 8:09 PM

ball field, not real close, but not too far either. since you don't know Clemson its kind of hard to describe! I was born in Dayton (Wright-Patterson AF base)

Re: I have a parking pass u could have, it's lot 13, below base-

Oct 7, 2013, 9:03 AM

that would be great. We would pay you for it, don't need to give it to me. Can you text me at 513-310-9343?

As for places to eat / drink

Oct 6, 2013, 8:57 PM

You can't go wrong with anywhere downtown. My favorite watering holes are TD's, 356, Tiger Town Tavern, Wingin It, and Loose Change. All are within easy walking distance of the campus and stadium.

As for eats, it depends what you're in the mood for. Downtown you will find some chain restaurants (Pita Pit, Chipotle, Firehouse Subs, ect). For good sandwhiches I like the Pot Belly Deli, which is about a quarter of a mile down College Ave. from downtown.

With regard to tailgating, your best option may be to check eBay for parking passes for sale. There are some free lots you can park. If you plan on parking and setting up a tent, grill, and such and you want a free lot the you may want to park at the Douthit Hills General Parking Area (behind the Clemson House). If you park here though, you will need to get there early and be prepared to wait a little while to get out after the game. I imagine part of the reason it is free is that it takes forever to leave, however there are some great grassy areas to set up shop.

Should you plan on simply parking and just walking around then there are plenty of places for that. Last home game I parked in a grassy area off of Madren Center Drive that was less than two blocks from the stadium.

Below is a link to the parking map to all the numbered lots around campus. http://www.nmnathletics.com/fls/28500/pdf/football/2013-14/fb_stadium_parking_guide.pdf?DB_OEM_ID=28500

Enjoy your trip.

Backstreets is my favorite bar

Oct 6, 2013, 9:17 PM

Good wings and a great beer selection. Good for Friday night

Gotta go to the Esso on Gameday...needless to say, it will be packed out

I tell everybody to go to Smokin Pig BBQ....get the banana pudding. Closed on Sundays though!

Wear Orange!

Don't wear any shade of burgundy, Garnett, or maroon. Ever!

Oct 6, 2013, 10:45 PM

Unless you want to be punished

Oct 6, 2013, 11:55 PM

Mostly just wanted to welcome you to Clemson. I would love to be in your shoes, experiencing DV for the first time at this game!
Wear Orange!
You will find lots of friendly folks. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. I can't imagine finding a Tiger fan who wouldn't be happy to help.
Above all, HOLLER FOR THE TIGERS! You will fit right in!

Oct 7, 2013, 9:05 AM

We have been to Ole Miss, Auburn, Bama, LSU, and Georgia (toured the SEC for each of the last 6 years) but this year wanted to experience Death Valley and Clemson. Can't wait, and the game is a top ten game to boot.

Thanks for the advice.

Since I live in Cincy

Oct 7, 2013, 9:16 AM

and will be driving down with 4 for the FSU game I think I can help.

More important than when you are arriving is where are you staying? If near Clemson, The entire downtown will be rocking Friday night before the game. TD's and TTT are the big bars. For food, Pepino's Pizza for cheaper stuff, Pixie and Bills or Calhoun Corners for fancier fair. If your going to be in G'ville then you might want to just stay up there and party.

On Saturday for tailgating, it is good where ever you can get a spot. Every major lot on campus is an IPTAY lot, and people are there to tailgate. I am in the Heismen Lot, under the tree's by the Frat Quad. Fellow Ohian's welcome. Just stand around a parking lot and look kind of lost, someone will be along shortly to invite you to join their tailgate.

Re: Since I live in Cincy

Oct 7, 2013, 9:21 AM

We are staying at the Comfort Inn (got a room in the spring). Thinking of getting a parking pass in either lot 5 or lot 1 & 2 (say those are grass fields).

Oct 7, 2013, 9:47 AM

I would definitely recommend going to the Esso Club for food Friday night after y'all walk around campus a bit looking at stuff first of course. After eating y'all can walk down town (literally everything is in walking distance to each other), but it's gonna be absolutely crammed. There are only about 4-5 bars worth going to, and with everyone coming in for the game + the normal student crowd it'll be tough just getting through to the bar to get a drink. It's so ridiculous that when I was a student I avoided dt like the plague on gameday weekends.

Before the game on Saturday you should eat at TD's. Right across from Bowman field so it's basically still on campus, good atmosphere, really good wings IMO.

The entire campus and surrounding area is just one huge tailgate, if your wearing opposing team colors and polite tp everyone, you will be invited to share in a ton of tailgates and food/drinks.

Do you have any connections to Clemson or FSU? Or just coming down for a great college game?

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

Oct 7, 2013, 10:09 AM

Fight Tigers..Fight ###*t..Fight-Fight!

Go#3TiGERs...whip the Noles & rise in the Polls!

Oh, Welcome to Death Valley #1 you Ohio Boys..enjoy, eat/drink & be ready for some Southern fun at Tigertown..And when Clemson wins be sure to go down onto the field with other thousands..and whoop it up, and maybe steal a little of the Orange PAW turf to take home.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CLEM in Cadence Count. 1,2,3,4 C L E M S O N T I G E RrrrS

Oct 7, 2013, 10:13 AM

Dang...this post heading was to be on my earlier post just above..but I made too many changes within the post and the above heading reverted back to yours.

To get jest of this old military cadence..and my message to you Ohio visitors to Clemson..just read post from me (Lightbulbbill) that should be 1 notch up.

Oct 7, 2013, 10:59 AM [ in reply to Re: First trip to Clemson - looking for some advice ]

No connections to either school - just have always wanted to watch a game at Clemson. We looked at the calendar this spring and picked this one - knowing it would be a big game, and then as the early season got underway it has turned into the game of the year.

Excellent choice on the game

Oct 7, 2013, 11:44 AM

Whomever wins deserves to be ranked number 2 or 3 IMO. Winston is amazing, he should be considered in the heisman talk for sure. Hopefully it'll be a win for us but either way it should be a fantastic game. Good luck in your travels and I hope y'all have a great time

Whatever you do, always give 100%.....unless it's donating blood

check Tmail...thebig T in the top right corner***

Oct 7, 2013, 2:56 PM [ in reply to Re: First trip to Clemson - looking for some advice ]

As others have said, you are in for an awakening as to

Oct 7, 2013, 10:35 AM

how a campus and a town put on a football game. As for regular meal dining on campus, for get it. Swing by the Esso and wait 20 minutes to get a beer at some point. If you get to town in time for lunch on Friday, go to the Pot Belly Deli. Several options for Friday dinner depending on your mood.

Most important thing to remember is, you will want to stay. You are allowed on one condition...each member of your group eliminates 4 people from Charleston. We have an overcrowding problem here.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 63
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic