Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
First round of the playoffs should be today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 3,124

First round of the playoffs should be today

Dec 8, 2018, 12:05 PM

1 Alabama vs 8 UCF

2 Clemson vs 7 Michigan

3 Notre Dame vs 6 Ohio St

4 Oklahoma vs 5 UGA

Wouldn’t it be nice to let UGA and Oklahoma decide who deserves it on the field?

And to see UCF get their shot to show if they belong?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: First round of the playoffs should be today

Dec 8, 2018, 12:11 PM

OU already proved they deserve it over UGA on the field. They only lost 1 game on aforementioned field compared to the two games that UGA lost. If UGA wanted to be in the playoff they should have won their play in game against Bama.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2018, 1:00 PM

Oklahoma and UGA didn’t play. So no they didn’t prove they were better “on the field”.

I know you guys are all mad at the love the SEC gets but don’t be delusional.

I think the committee got it right for the system we have but most people would pick UGA to win the game.

Dec 8, 2018, 1:05 PM

Well if , in your words “got it right” what’s the point of having more playoff games? I’m for more football, but let’s not water it down with teams that don’t belong, ie UGA, Mich, and even ND for that matter. They won games but no conference.

Dec 8, 2018, 1:27 PM

“Water it down”

Wut?

A Saturday with those matchups would be the best sports day of the year and I’m sure some of the teams “that don’t belong” would prove they do.

Dec 8, 2018, 1:29 PM [ in reply to Re: First round of the playoffs should be today ]

Why should Georgia get another chance to play a team they just lost to? They just proved they aren’t worthy.

Dec 8, 2018, 1:40 PM

First of all how do you know they would wind up playing Alabama again?

Second how can you say UGA is not worthy? They just took Alabama to the wire and they would be favored against every team I listed except them and Clemson.

Dec 10, 2018, 7:07 PM

Because Bama is #1 and if UGA had gotten in they would have been #4. Ergo, they would have been playing again.

Dec 10, 2018, 7:25 PM

No. He was referring to my 8 team format with the question why does UGA get another shot.

Dec 10, 2018, 7:06 PM [ in reply to Re: First round of the playoffs should be today ]

If your criteria for deciding which teams should get in should be based strictly on head to head results then you're gonna have a ton of problems limiting your hypothetical playoff to anything less than 130 teams.

The fact of the matter is that there are way too many teams for there to be a head to head tiebreaker to decide which team gets in. Since we cannot have head to head matchups between all the teams the only solution is to come up with a system that chooses which teams get in based on the results of the games that they already play—sounds a lot like what we already have.

Dec 10, 2018, 7:29 PM

There needs to be more teams though.

We can go back and forth all day about who’s better between the top 5-6 teams in the country, some years more than that are worthy. I think this is one of those years. Nobody thought Ohio St. would win it in 2014. We were #1 last year and got handled by #4. So we don’t know what would happen with more teams in the mix.

If you just want to make it about who looks the best let’s just give it to Alabama every year.

Dec 10, 2018, 10:58 PM [ in reply to Re: First round of the playoffs should be today ]

Most people picked UGa to beat LSU too, and look what happened. You say tomato I say tomato. Your eye test is not same as mine. It all becomes conjecture and speculation. How bout UGa exposed Bama and maybe Bama isn’t the end all be all.

Well that's not exactly the argument i would choose

Dec 8, 2018, 1:51 PM [ in reply to Re: First round of the playoffs should be today ]

Using your logic, UCF should be in ahead of both of those teams.

Dec 8, 2018, 12:12 PM

I agree that the first round should be today but I disagree with the teams and format...
1) Bama and 2) Clemson should have byes

3) OU vs 6) UCF at OU ... winner plays Clemson in Cotton

4) Ohio State vs 5) Washington at Ohio State ... winner plays Bama in Orange

Notre Dame never got in because they played us in the ACCCG and we won.

Dec 8, 2018, 12:16 PM

Interesting idea!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2018, 12:24 PM [ in reply to Re: First round of the playoffs should be today ]

Why would Washington be in a playoff?

Dec 8, 2018, 12:14 PM

These kids are students first and they have exams this week or next in most schools. There is a reason for the break from regular season to bowl/playoffs, and filling it with more games when the kids have exams is putting the cart before the horse.

Dec 8, 2018, 12:27 PM

Then get rid of a regular season game or conference championships and just award based on the season.

Then you are not adding games with an 8 team playoff.

Pretty simple.

Yes it should , but it should be 5 from power 5 conf

Dec 8, 2018, 12:14 PM

Champs with 3 at-large and of a non power 5 is in top 10 then an automatic birth so it would be:

1 Alabama vs 8 Washington

2 Clemson vs 7 UCF

3 Notre Dame vs 6 Ohio St

4 Oklahoma vs 5 UGA

Michigan gets left out because they could of beat either ND or OSU to have gotten in

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes it should , but it should be 5 from power 5 conf

Dec 8, 2018, 12:17 PM

I just wish THIS year's playoff started today. I need some Clemson football.

Re: Yes it should , but it should be 5 from power 5 conf

Dec 8, 2018, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Yes it should , but it should be 5 from power 5 conf ]

If you make being a conference champion an automatic qualifier you make the non conference schedule meaningless.

If you give the committee the ability to pick any 8 teams every game is still meaningful and most years all P5 champs will get in anyway.

No, a good non-conference schedule could help you get in IF

Dec 10, 2018, 10:49 PM

you didn't win your conference! And making P5 champs automatic would eliminate about 80% of the current subjectivity involved with the committee.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No, a good non-conference schedule could help you get in IF

Dec 11, 2018, 8:44 AM

But it would make late season rivalry games meaningless for teams like Clemson who have already locked up their division.

and think of the money they wuold make off of it

Dec 8, 2018, 1:25 PM [ in reply to Yes it should , but it should be 5 from power 5 conf ]

surprised they havent expanded yet

No the first round was played last week with Ok advancing and UGA getting knocked out***

Dec 8, 2018, 12:22 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: No the first round was played last week with Ok advancing and UGA getting knocked out***

Dec 8, 2018, 12:32 PM

Yea I’d rather just get rid of conference title games.

I’d much rather see those first round playoff matchups than the same teams from the same conference pretty much every year.

Dec 8, 2018, 12:31 PM

Bama vs UCF? Clemson VS Michigan? Where in the #### does Michigan come from? They shouldn’t even be mentioned in a playoff. I agree with UCF playing to get a shot, but I would put them as a play in game with the 4th seed. Alabama has already had to many easy passes the last several years.

Dec 8, 2018, 12:35 PM

Stupid idea .... as usual! The national championship is to determine the best team in college football not the best 8. We already know that UGA, Michigan, Washington, and Ohio State are not the best. Why let them play?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2018, 12:45 PM

This logic just baffles me.

Every other sport has a legitimate playoff system to determine who the best team is.

Dec 11, 2018, 12:16 AM

Yep, just go ahead and expand it to 64. That way the coots might have a 50/50 chance of getting in. Or, start at 128 so the coots would have around a 75% chance of getting in.

kweschun

Dec 8, 2018, 12:42 PM

do the coots play Akron again for 85th place?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: kweschun

Dec 8, 2018, 12:45 PM

Yep then they get to play Virginia in the national championship for a chance to move up to 84th!

Dec 8, 2018, 12:44 PM

That would be cool.

Why should Bama and Clemson

Dec 8, 2018, 1:38 PM

Be penalized by having an extra game to play?They are the two constants in the CFP era. One could say they would be playing the past 3 to 4 years in the old BCS system for the National Title.
I only support a 6 team CFP where #1 & #2 seeds get a first week bye. The other 4 spots are simply there to get rid of the ridiculous "Deserving vs Best" team debates. My opinion...

Re: Why should Bama and Clemson

Dec 8, 2018, 1:46 PM

It’s not being penalized. Have the first two rounds at the highest seeded teams stadium and the natty on a neutral field. That would be their reward.

Clemson gets a bye in the ACC title game anyway. We don’t deserve another one.

if the two best get a bye just go ahead and let them play

Dec 10, 2018, 10:06 PM [ in reply to Why should Bama and Clemson ]

for the championship like the bcs days

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

0/10

Dec 8, 2018, 1:49 PM

Nm.

6 with #1 and 2 with a bye, I could support

Dec 10, 2018, 10:21 PM

1 Alabama vs bye

2 Clemson vs bye

3 Notre Dame vs 6 UCF (sorry UGA, you had a chance, but 2 losses is too much)

4 Oklahoma vs 5 Ohio St

The top teams would strive to be undefeated to win that bye. Shorten the time between the first round and second so to give even more of an advantage to the top 2.

Dec 10, 2018, 11:02 PM

Why anyone would still be arguing for a two loss team that had a big loss to LSU by 20 and then if that wasn’t enough you argue for Ohio state you got the snot beat out of them by purdue

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dec 11, 2018, 8:46 AM

Well I’m not arguing they should be in the current system.

The system should expand to include more teams. UGA and Ohio St. can beat anybody.

Replies: 39
| visibility 3,124
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic