Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
First of all (long)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

First of all (long)

Nov 20, 2012, 12:38 AM

Maryland leaving the ACC does not hurt the ACC. It actually gives the ACC a chance to bring in actual "football" schools (not sure Swoffie will, but the opportunity is there). The next move that Swoffie makes will be the defining moment of his term as commish and define the future of this conference. Clemson and FSU are in a good spot right now. Thy have the ability to play the "wait and see" game. Last year Clemson and FSU were very and I mean "very" close to leaving the ACC and joining the SEC conference. The reason that it did not happen is that the SEC did not want to go to a sixteen team conference at the time. I'm not saying that us and FSU will join the SEC, but if the SEC would have gone to sixteen teams last year Clemson and FSU would have been number 15 and number 16. And before you ask, yes I have a. Close friend that works in the head office of the SEC and these words came straight from they're mouth. I haven't spoken to my friend about Maryland leaving the ACC and if it pushes the SEC to make another move. I do believe that once the NBC contract with ND is up thy will join as a full member of the ACC. Now if ND comes full force that leaves one great opportunities to get some quality football schools. Personally I would love for us (ACC) to go after Oklahoma st., Texas, and Oklahoma. But knowing Swoffie I see us going after UCONN, Cinn, and Louisville (any of these are a step up from Maryland anyway). Just my thoughts.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i must of missed the part about clem and fsu

Nov 20, 2012, 12:42 AM

Almost being 15/16 in sec last year. Where did that come from?

Re: i must of missed the part about clem and fsu

Nov 20, 2012, 12:45 AM

I have a very close friend that works in the SEC office with Slive and "thy" told a group of family members that Clemson and FSU were no doubt number 15 and 16 last year if they. Old have pulled the trigger. We were informed that (as of last year, things do change and I haven't talked to my friend in a couple of months) Clemson and FSU are/were the next two choices.

if they move now, fsu will go and we must follow

Nov 20, 2012, 12:50 AM

Because at that point it will just be picking meat off the acc carcass.

Re: if they move now, fsu will go and we must follow

Nov 30, 2017, 4:15 PM

Kinda like what the ACC does to the Big East! I agree Clemson and FSU have to stick together.

could then easily see the big 10

Nov 20, 2012, 12:54 AM

Pluck unc and uva. Then the pac moves once again for big12 folks. That's when I wonder if a 3x18 or 3x20 league makes more sense then a 4x16. 3 camps and a wildcard for playoff....

Agree w/ 'wait and see' for CU & FSU....

Nov 20, 2012, 12:50 AM

If a football school is added, then status quo. If UConn is added, time to explore options further.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agree w/ 'wait and see' for CU & FSU....

Nov 20, 2012, 12:56 AM

Exactly Clemson and FSU hold all the cards in the ACC. Without. These two schools the conference will be demoted to MAC level. I truly believe that hen it is all said and done Clemson and FSU will be gone and replaced by SFU and East Carolina or CFU. When the music stops trust me CU and FSU will have a chair. If I am right and ND isComing then Swoffie needs to get that public sooner rather then later. That could be a huge bargaining chip for recruiting some established football schools.

nd pennst and then i could live with uconn

Nov 20, 2012, 1:06 AM

As 16. You almost have to go north south at this point because it splits nicely. Nd would have old rivals bc and pitt and could be a cross over with fsu. They could open each year with navy and close with usc as non conference games, still leaving a couple flex spots.

Assuming what you say about us and the SEC is true, and

Nov 20, 2012, 12:59 AM

everything I've ever heard is directly opposite of that, I doubt the SEC is looking to 16. Everything I've heard is that they are not thrilled with 14 and soe of the more traditional old-liners are against further expansion of any kind.

Re: Assuming what you say about us and the SEC is true, and

Nov 20, 2012, 1:06 AM

For now I think the SEC will stay at 14. The problem with the SEC is thy o not have to do anything. They can jut sit and wait and wait and wait. Personally I wish the ACC would become a solid conference because my hatred for the SEC is so high I would hate to have to pull or it, but I don't want Clemson to get stuck without a chair. I believe in the next ten years we will see an 8 team playoff with 6 super conference champions and the two highest ranked at larges. Until then the SEC can just hang out. But don't buy into all the "footprint" talk. I promise you what I have said is 100% true.

now that i agree with, i think with these national deals its

Nov 20, 2012, 1:11 AM

Becoming about a basket of brands to sell vs a footprint. And with football driving the bus, two 80k plus stadiums doesn't hurt the situation. You bring in contributors not leeches. Sec cbs is national.

Re: now that i agree with, i think with these national deals its

Nov 20, 2012, 1:14 AM

Footprint does but not as much as marketing, exposure i.e. SEC. They would not be the power conference they are without the constant promotion of the media.

Re: First of all (long)

Nov 20, 2012, 5:35 AM

First off,Maryland leaving does hurt the ACC.They were a founding member of the conference.
Secondly,what actual "football" program would you ask to join?
Clemson and FSU were never "very" close to leaving the ACC and joining the SEC because the SEC was never"very" close to "asking" them to join.
And I never take hearsay evidence on face value.
Even when NBC's contract with Notre Dame ends,and NBC should decide not to renew it,another network(perhaps Fox Sport) would be more than willing to take up discussions.And N.D. ain't going to join period.
Do you seriously think OK.State,O.U.or Texas would join the ACC even if Notre Dame did join.
Got to go to work.More thoughts later,perhaps.

Re: Re: First of all (long)

Nov 20, 2012, 8:21 AM

I don't take hearsay either. The SEC was very close to inviting us and FSU last year. I know that for a fact. Also I think ND will join as a football member when the contract is. It is going to be tough for them to schedule quality opposition with most conferences going to a nine game schedule. Plus it would help them in getting to the playoff. Okla, Okla st, and Texas are my "dream teams" so to speak. Texas has lost their rival (A&M) and might entertain the idea of creating one with ND. Not saying they will and it would be a long shot. Please explain how losing a "founding member" that will not commit to being good at football and has had a declining basketball program hurts us? They bring nothing to the table. Just because they were there in the beginning does not make them relevant. I am happy they are gone.

Nov 20, 2012, 6:30 PM

If the SEC was very close to asking us to join,why didn't they?Give us the fact why!
And Notre Dame will not join as long as it is advantageous to remain independent.If NBC does not renew,somebody will offer.
Also,with the recent expansion moves a lot of teams have lost rivals.How many did Maryland lose yesterday when they announced they were going to the Big 10?And creating a rivalry with Notre Dame won't happen if Notre Dame doesn't want to start a rivalry.
As far as Maryland,Randy Edsall was not a bad hire.Injuries this year didn't help.
Besides Maryland's football program is no better,or worse than half of the programs in the ACC.Other than FSU,,Clemson,the two Tech's all the other programs have had mediocre seasons in the past few years.
And you could say the same in basketball.Which programs beside Duke,UNC,N.C. State( this season)are relevant in basketball.
In fact your beloved Commissioner is looking no futher than UCONN to replace Maryland.How are they any better,or worse in football?Basketball yes.
Final thought.Maryland is leaving because they have been losing money in athletics over the past decade.Why is that?

Nov 20, 2012, 7:52 PM

The SEC did not feel that it was of immediate importance to make the jump to 16. That is what I was told by my friend. Plus I was told that they are still hoping that Texas would jump to the SEC if the Big 12 collapsed. The problem is that the SEC does not have to do anything but wait. If the B1G PAC 12 and the Big 12 go to 16 teams then you will see the SEC add two more.
You are correct about ND. They will not join as long as it is advantageous for them to remain independent, but my thought on this issue is that ND sees the future of college football becoming a 8 team playoff with 6 conference champions and 2 at large teams. ND will lose out because their strength of schedule will suffer because the "super conferences" will be playing at least 9 conference games a year, if not ten. Also I think that NBC will try and renew the rights. You are correct also on the point that Fox or someone will pick up the rights to ND football, but at what cost? I don't believe any network will give ND 25 million a year for their football right. I believe that if ND wants to keep up in the arms race they will have to join a conference. Getting ND's football into the ACC opens the door to add PSU (unless Swoffie get impatient and jumps the gun, which he has proven he will do). If the ACC wants to keep this conference from collapsing then the only answer is ND. Otherwise I see the football schools leaving and Swoffie can have his super basketball conference that he seems to want. Nothing wrong with basketball, but football is king and football pays the bills! I truly believe that we will ND join as a full member. No sources, that is just how I see this playing out. Feel free to re-post this in the future and tell "you told me so", but I believe that this deal is already in place. Without ND joining the ACC will never be able to keep up in the arms race and will wither down to MAC material.
I do think Maryland leaving hurts, but because of a different reason. You are right that they lost money last year. They cannot fill their stadium. Now even with Kevin Plank (owner of Under Armour) throwing tons of money at them they still lose money. The reason is because they will not commit to football. If they would and then they would become better and draw in more money. They will be in the same boat just in a different ocean (B1G). Now the main problem with Maryland leaving the ACC is not because they help the ACC so much as it is that it makes the ACC look week and vulnerable (which it is). It also opens the doors up for other conferences to pluck our members out and it shows us that a 50 million dollar buy out does not scare anyone. I think that Maryland will regret this or at the very least be in the same situation. Maryland has been losing money over the past decade. Yes I would agree even without doing my research. But why is that? Clemson has received the same money from the conference that they have we are not losing money. They have every opportunity to make more then us if they would commit to football first. Clemson does not have a donor close to Kevin Plank. So why is it they are losing money? Because they will not commit to becoming a good football program (I know I'm getting redundant). Paying the ACC 50 million is not going to help their financial situation. Neither is being the bottom dweller in the B1G. Even if the B1G gets more tv money then the ACC how will that help them fill their stadium and sell merchandise? Bottom line is won't. Now a better argument would be about FSU. They are losing money as well. But they are losing money as well. I have not put in the effort to figure out my opinion on why they are so I will not get into that.
Final thoughts how can FSU who has committed to football and has been a solid football program be losing money while Clemson does not? That is where I get confused. Maybe that throws my "commit to football or die argument" out of the window. Clemson is about to be 11-1 this year and we have improved facilities tremendously in the past decade. We have spent tons of money, not just on football either. So why is it that we can do with our athletic budget but FSU cannot? I would like to see the athletic income of Clemson and FSU. I would be willing to bet that FSU brings in more annually then we do. I will have to dive deeper into that and do some research. What are your thoughts on the FSU situation???? I think that the ACC can compete (Clemson, FSU, VaTech) now, but in ten years no we cant. I would love to see Swoffie and his tarheel first approach get booted as fast as possible. He is helping to kill a conference. Screw Raycom. I think there needs to be an investigation about this arrangement with Raycom and his son.

If the ACC dies Swoffie will be the Grim Reaper!

Nov 20, 2012, 7:53 PM

Sorry for the length. I went off. LOL

Nov 20, 2012, 7:07 PM

A quick question I really like the idea of nd as a full member but do we think that will happen? Obviously that would be a nice full addition

Nov 20, 2012, 9:16 PM

See above and that is my opinion.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic