Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Not sure if discussed, but TWD got 16million viewers?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Not sure if discussed, but TWD got 16million viewers?

Oct 14, 2013, 4:20 PM

That's incredible. A show ABOUT ZOMBIES ON CABLE got 16million viewers and would be the 3rd most watched show behind NCIS (ugh) and Big Bang Theory (slight ugh).

Add in the fact that most of those viewers are in the 18-49 demographic and AMC has to be making a ton off commercials (Breaking Bad finale pulled in like 500k per commercial for the finale which was watched by 10million).

No wonder they want to spin this show off.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it only got 4,560 nielsen viewers

Oct 14, 2013, 4:24 PM

which translates to 16 million.

its a stupid system

True, but...

Oct 14, 2013, 4:32 PM

at least that's the standard measurement for all shows. It makes it more remarkable that 16 million watched it the
"traditional" way. Add in those who DVR the show or watch it through other means and the show probably was around 20 million viewers.

TWD is a programmers fantasy. It's highly rated, scores off the charts with youth and is a "water cooler" show. Shows like NCIS and Big Bang don't have those same characteristics.

I'm honestly more excited of the potential of a spin off.

Oct 14, 2013, 4:34 PM

I really want to see how it developed and became what it is, and they will have complete freedom to do what they want.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Yeah, I haven't read anything about the spin-off...

Oct 14, 2013, 4:41 PM

will it simply be other survivors? Set in the same world? Go all out and do something different like a comedy?

My only worry is that instead of using all this new wealth from the popularity of TWD on expanding its budget and scope of its storytelling it'll be split with this new show. If the new show isn't a hit it would hurt TWD and ultimately could ruin it.

No potential. It's already in the works.***

Oct 14, 2013, 5:09 PM [ in reply to I'm honestly more excited of the potential of a spin off. ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I mean the show's potential, not the potential of the

Oct 14, 2013, 5:16 PM

show happening.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Big Bang Theory is unbelievably bad***

Oct 14, 2013, 4:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I try to compare it to other broad comedies

Oct 14, 2013, 5:00 PM

and I'd say it is the best of those. HOWEVER, I am not a fan of broad comedies so I would tend to agree with you.

I will watch it in syndication if there isn't anything else on but the use of laugh track on the show is ridiculous. Every episode it has the audience laughing at a simple declarative statement not meant to be taken as a joke simply to keep the rhythm of the show going. It's weirdly fascinating to watch.

First couple of years were good

Oct 14, 2013, 5:07 PM

not so much since. still hate the laugh track.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: First couple of years were good

Oct 14, 2013, 5:16 PM

My wife and I share a hatred for shows with laugh tracks. None of the shows we watch contain them, and I'm perfectly ok with that.

Supposedly it's a real audience and not a laugh track.

Oct 14, 2013, 5:16 PM [ in reply to First couple of years were good ]

Just an overly giddy audience though.

Everybody loves Raymond had the same type but done better

Oct 14, 2013, 5:24 PM

It actually felt natural, not sure why. I don't think Raymond used it to maintain a rhythm like Big Bang does.

I think for big bang it is a real audience, but they record and play the laughter when they want not when it happens.

Seinfeld is the only "modern" popular sitcom I can remember that had an audience laughing that didn't necessarily hurt the show's brilliance.

Friends had its moments, but took it too far like BBT***

Oct 14, 2013, 5:26 PM

Agreed.

Oct 14, 2013, 5:41 PM

Friends and Seinfeld have had tremendous influence on modern sitcoms.

Seinfeld has led to The office, Community, Parks and Rec, Always Sunny, The league, etc..

Friends has led to How I met your mother, Big Bang, most broad comedies on networks and some cable

Hmm...

Oct 14, 2013, 6:40 PM

You might be onto something, because I hated Friends and all the other "broad comedies" you listed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

as soon as I heard that show's theme music...

Oct 14, 2013, 5:31 PM [ in reply to I try to compare it to other broad comedies ]

I run for the hills. It's one of those shows that makes my day worse if I have to hear even one word out of that annoying main actor's voice.

Note to the casting people: nerdy does not equal gay.

The theme song to BBT is one of the best ever.

Oct 14, 2013, 5:35 PM

And Jim Parson's is actually gay...

makes sense

Oct 14, 2013, 6:39 PM

He's pretty unconvincingly not gay on the show.

you saying all of "nerdy" guys play it gay or just the one?

Oct 14, 2013, 5:38 PM [ in reply to as soon as I heard that show's theme music... ]

because I'd say they all basically play non-masculine nerdy stereotypes. That's always been a huge problem with the show is that it simultaneously glorifies and destroys nerd culture.

not only non- masculine, but feminine

Oct 14, 2013, 6:38 PM

There's a way to do nerdy without having all of your characters basically prance around and speak with a sing- songy voice. See Steve Urkel from Family Matters and Screech Powers from Saved By the Bell.

I see them much more like less annoying urkels than

Oct 14, 2013, 7:16 PM

singy songy prancing gay nerds. I'm not sure where you are getting that description from.

Big Bang is "Revenge of the Nerds" as a tv show.

TWD cancelled due to not living up to some...

Oct 14, 2013, 5:05 PM

Joungers standards.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Rick needs to stay out of the woods..

Oct 14, 2013, 5:10 PM

that was stoopid scene,
I hope you didn't have anything to do it.

It was mysterious. Someone has to go out hunting for food.

Oct 14, 2013, 5:12 PM

And not just taking it from grocery stores.

I'll admit

Oct 14, 2013, 5:15 PM

I was laughing like hell at the zombies falling thru the ceiling.

Seems like the helicopter would have fallen first.***

Oct 14, 2013, 5:17 PM

The roof would've collapsed as soon as the copter crashed.

Oct 14, 2013, 5:19 PM

Not as soon as zombies started slowly walking.

Methinks the copter landed there to get supplies at some...

Oct 14, 2013, 5:26 PM

point. Or tried to land.

Get busy on those nekkid zombies!

Oct 14, 2013, 5:11 PM [ in reply to TWD cancelled due to not living up to some... ]

prodigal said it would be ok

I was not one of them.

Oct 14, 2013, 5:21 PM

Never watched any of them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The reason this country has a future.

THANK YOU FOR ALL YOU DO

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic