Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Finding Comparable Opponents (OU & UNC; Clemson & Tenn)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

Finding Comparable Opponents (OU & UNC; Clemson & Tenn)

Dec 25, 2015, 10:26 AM

I've seen several threads from Clemson folks that find that OU is "pretty similar" to UNC. In fact, I've even seen comments that UNC has BETTER RBs and WRs/TEs. This initiates my question:

Which one is the more accurate comparison: OU and UNC -or- Clemson and Tennessee; Please justify your answer.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Finding Comparable Opponents (OU & UNC; Clemson & Tenn)

Dec 25, 2015, 10:31 AM

UNC and OU . They play similarly in the offensive scheme , both have really good offensive playmakers .
Tennessee is only comparable to Clemson in that we are both regionally proximal .
Clemson is better than Tennessee in every aspect of the game right now , no comparison there would be fair to either team .
The real comparison is last year's RAB . Clemson completely throttled Oklahoma . Different teams ? Nope. Oklahoma has added a new OC and a new QB , but they are still woefully outmanned by Clemson , on both sides of the ball .
Its my opinion of course , but Clemson will most likely win easily next Thursday night .
I would expect the final score at 40-24 Tigers .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Dec 25, 2015, 10:51 AM

TigerDug,

Interesting take. We shall see.

I agree. Clemson D will get more stops than OU D and that

Dec 25, 2015, 11:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Finding Comparable Opponents (OU & UNC; Clemson & Tenn) ]

will be the difference.

Dec 25, 2015, 10:39 AM

Tennessee and Clemson both wear Orange but theirs is an ugly orange. Both schools are located near the Great Smokey Mountains.
That's about it.

Dec 25, 2015, 10:53 AM

Tiger58,

Do you feel the same way about OU and UNC? Do you see those two teams as essentially nothing in common?

Dec 25, 2015, 11:12 AM

I think OU will play Clemson a great game much like NC. OU could certainly win if Clemson doesn't play a complete game.

Clemson will give both UNC and OU their second loss

Dec 25, 2015, 11:03 AM

Tenn was a complete joke at the beginning of the year. The got beat by every team they played with a pulse and had one good win against uga

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 25, 2015, 11:10 AM

You are a complete idiot. ..and here's one piece of your justification:

QB QBR alone for starters:
http://espn.go.com/ncf/qbr/_/type/player-week/week/14

I see Deshaun above Mayfield...Mayfield above Williams...all three in the top 30......

So where is Tennessee's QB...and how in the blue hell do you think if Watson is above Mayfield, TN's QB is anywhere comparable?? I'll await your response about things being irrelevant...

Dec 25, 2015, 11:27 AM

Tigerman1978,

I can see you're feeling a little spunky today--no need for ad hominem attacks.

Certainly a QB is key to a football team's success, but there are other factors. Special teams, turnovers, coaching, penalties -- a lot can affect a TEAM's performance. Watson is a much better passer than Tennessee's Dobbs, but I'm surprised that someone who loves to go by statistics is focusing solely on quarterback play.

Dec 25, 2015, 11:38 AM

Serially, do toy want me to show tou the trench lines I already have posted on this board? ? Clemson is better at about every spot than TN by a bunch. OK and UNC are decently comparable. Yet not getting your panties in a wad, kid.

Dec 25, 2015, 12:10 PM

Tigerman,

Sorry, I can't understand your first sentence.

As for gross comparisons, using Football Outsiders S&P ratings (which normalize for competition):

Clemson (offense=10,defense=6); Tennessee (offense=40,defense=25).

Oklahoma (offense=3,defense=12); North Car (offense=22,defense=65).

According to the stats generated by an impartial third party, you could easily make the case that Clemson is closer to Tennessee than OU is to North Carolina as a team.

Dec 25, 2015, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Finding Comparable Opponents (OU & UNC; Clemson & Tenn) ]

I really hope guys like you can eat crow after the game. I'm so glad you think in one year, you are that more dominant and the tables completely flipped. News flash, you have a new QB, so do we...the 2015 best QB in the nation award winner. You have Shepard, we still have Alexander. You have Striker, we have the leading TFL guy that can take double teams, and 2 top 50 sack leaders, not just one like your team. You have a RB with over 1000 yrds.....so do we., one that is much stronger than he was last year. Enjoy your delusion...see you under that rock after the game.

Clemson is nothing like UT, not even close

Dec 25, 2015, 11:31 AM

We may be better at every position.

OU and UNC have a similar offense, but UNC is better than OU on defense. I said UNC was a harder opponent than OU. UNC would beat OU.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson is nothing like UT, not even close

Dec 25, 2015, 11:34 AM

Spot the ball.

Dec 25, 2015, 12:35 PM

Here's an interesting look at Tennessee's and Clemson's QB play:

Over the last two years (19 games played for Clemson's Watson, 18 games played for Tennessee's Dobbs):

Watson has 1087 yards rushing and a long of 63 yards.
Dobbs has a 1092 yards rushing and a long of 62 yards.

Watson has 4978 yards passing, 69.1% completion, 44 TD, 13 ints, and an NCAA QB rating of 166.7.
Dobbs has 3331 yards passing, 61.1% completion, 24 TD, 11 ints, and an NCAA QB rating of 129.0.

So the stats, non-normalized for competition, show Watson is a much better passer and Watson & Dobbs are comparable runners.

Now I think almost everyone would rather face Dobbs than Watson as an opposing QB, but give Dobbs some credit--he's a good dual-threat QB.

This is a completely irrational set of stats to use for comparison of these two QBs.

Dec 25, 2015, 4:37 PM

If you use just this season's stats, you will see there is no comparison.

Watson- 13 games played, pass yds 3512, rushing yds 887.

Dobbs- 12 games played, pass yds 2125, rushing yds 623.

That's almost a 1400 yds passing difference. (An entire season for some QBs.)

I have no doubt it will be a competitive game. But if you think that because your Okies beat Tennessee that they have proven themselves ready for Clemson, then you are sorely mistaken. Besides isn't OU a completely different team since they lost to Texas? How are you even making that comparison with all the "changes" that have occurred since then?

While I myself have not made the comparison of OU to UNC, the one thing I believe they have in common is, that they will both have had their Championship hopes crushed by Clemson.

GO TIGERS!

Dec 29, 2015, 10:30 PM [ in reply to Clemson is nothing like UT, not even close ]

Do you still feel the same after tonight? A team that almost beat your team and probably would have if not for the refs protecting clemson getting completely outclassed by Baylor. It looks like baylor has a better offense and defense than clemson.

Dec 30, 2015, 7:35 AM

Clemson fans want this thread to die, lol.

Dec 30, 2015, 7:41 AM

You do realize the score of that game is very similar to the Clemson UNC game that was for a Championship, right (which UNC was hoping to be playing to get a playoff birth as well)?

Outclassed?? Clemson led the championship game several times by 18.

Baylor 49, UNC 38
Clemson 45, UNC

You OU guys are really trying to stretch it.

Dec 30, 2015, 7:42 AM

Clemson 45, UNC 37

Dec 30, 2015, 7:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson is nothing like UT, not even close ]

Let's also I guess not count the fact that UNC also went for an onside kick on both games....and in both would have needed a 2 point conversion.

Dec 25, 2015, 12:55 PM

I would say OU is comparable to UNC, but OU has a better defense.

I would say Clemson has a better offense than UT because Watson is on another level and Clemson has a better defense.

Our kicking game scares me.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Dec 25, 2015, 3:52 PM

Easy. ..see end of year rankings. Can argue specific details as you wish. ....

OU = unc is comparable

CU v Tenn is laughable

FSU D>OU D Cook>Perine....however now that

Dec 25, 2015, 4:13 PM

they have 2 backs they can rely on, it somewhat evens up the RB position between FSU and OU. I still feel comfortable in saying neither of them is near the RB Dalvin Cook is on their own merits. Stryker is as good in the secondary as we've faced....outside of Mack and Kearse during practice. :) Honestly I think Stryker is on par with the likes of Jalen Ramsey, which means he's as good as there is in CFB. We'll see how their DB's hold up against the 1st starting QB they've faced in a month and a half. I'm confident that their Oline hasn't played anyone like our front since we played them last year. Special teams I'll just concede to them. We just can't give up a punt or KO return, and it'd certainly help if we can finally get something going in that department. Until I see otherwise, special teams: OU>CU.

Overall, as I've said all year, if we play our A game mistake free, we can beat anyone. No doubt in my mind.
GO TIGERS!!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic