Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Finally someone who makes sense. Join the ACC ND or the ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Finally someone who makes sense. Join the ACC ND or the ACC

Nov 11, 2020, 10:10 AM

should stop giving them the 5 games every year. Let them go play BYU. I would be all in on this. More opps for Clemson to schedule an SEC or Big 12 opponent those years.

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/Pitt/2020/11/09/Pitt-football-Notre-Dame-Pat-Narduzzi-ACC-Clemson-Heinz-Field-Panthers-Fighting-Irish-Georgia-Tech-Brandon-Hill-Virginia-Tech/stories/202011090112

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Finally someone who makes sense. Join the ACC ND or the ACC

Nov 11, 2020, 10:33 AM

The Pitt coach was on P &D show this morning and voiced his opinion about The Irish. I don’t believe there is an ACC fan anywhere who doesn’t agree with this. Get in or get out. Maybe the new commissioner will have this same attitude. We don’t owe Notre Dame anything. Do we?

Nov 11, 2020, 10:43 AM

We are obligated to play five games in exchange for having a home for our non football sports. The ACC’s part of the deal is that they get five games guaranteed with Notre Dame.

I love that Clemson is on our schedule more frequently, but I could do without having to play four of ____ (Duke, Pitt, Syracuse, Wake Forest, etc.)

Our 2012 schedule is actually ideal: @Michigan State, Michigan, Miami neutral, Stanford, @Oklahoma, BYU, @USC.

A full conference schedule lacks variety. I love trading Michigan to play Clemson, and our 2022/2023 schedules with Ohio State, Clemson, USC, Stanford and others both years will be very entertaining, both as a college football fan and a Notre Dame fan. There’s a year down the road we play Clemson and Alabama as well. Maybe I’m too traditionalist, but college football is unique because of the regular season.

I think over the long-term there is a strong business case to be made for them to join the ACC.

Nov 11, 2020, 11:04 AM

Look at where the recruiting hotspots are and also where the population is shifting (Sun Belt vs Rust Belt, and I live in the Rust Belt).

I think it is only going to get harder to recruit to Ann Arbor, South Bend, West Lafayette, East Lansing, and Madison.

On the other hand, having the ability to tell a recruit from GA, FL, SC, or NC that they will definitely have games in front of their families, where they are from will pay dividends.

And the fact that Raleigh-Durham, Atlanta, and Charlotte, Miami, D.C., are(?) or shortly will be larger TV markets than Cleveland, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, and even Chicago.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Nov 11, 2020, 4:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Finally someone who makes sense. Join the ACC ND or the ACC ]

I would think you Papists would love the current arrangement. You get Clemson about once every three years but in the other two years you get cupcakes plus the appearance of playing a real schedule.

It's guaranteed admission to the playoff 2/3 years if you play perfectly otherwise and the Clemson game isn't really disqualifying since losing to Clemson isn't much of a blemish these days.

Nov 11, 2020, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Finally someone who makes sense. Join the ACC ND or the ACC ]

Im glad thats your ideal schedule but its far from what you actually have scheduled in the future.

09/11 - Toledo
09/18 - Purdue
09/25 - vs Wisconsin (in Chicago, IL)
10/02 - Cincinnati
10/23 - USC
11/06 - Navy
11/27 - at Stanford

09/03 - at Ohio State
09/10 - Marshall
09/17 - California
10/15 - Stanford
10/22 - UNLV
11/05 - Clemson
11/12 - at Navy
11/26 - at USC
TBA - Boston College
TBA - at North Carolina
TBA - at Syracuse

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/notre-dame/

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2020, 5:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Finally someone who makes sense. Join the ACC ND or the ACC ]

Play the 8 game ACC schedule then have 4 games for So Cal, Stanford, Mich, etc. Maybe have about 8 non-conference teams you play every other year (4 one year and the other 4 the next year.) In fact I wish we would do the this very thing and get rid of the cupcakes.

All we owed ND was previously agreed upon schedules

Nov 11, 2020, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Finally someone who makes sense. Join the ACC ND or the ACC ]

One thing the ACC didn't owe ND was a one-season deal to be a full-fledged member. The deal should have been: The ACC will play any games already scheduled. Anything more requires permanent full membership.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: All we owed ND was previously agreed upon schedules

Nov 11, 2020, 12:54 PM

Notre Dame playing ten ACC games is rumored to be what kept the ACC from following the B10 lead to cancel the season.

Nov 11, 2020, 4:03 PM

"Rumored" being the operative word

The SEC is playing within their own conference only. The ACC would have done the same.

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Nov 11, 2020, 4:54 PM

The ACC got a good deal out of ND playing ten conference games this year too. That was not one sided

Nov 11, 2020, 5:56 PM

“The ACC got a good deal out of ND playing 10 conference games too...”??

ND got a SEASON because of the ACC commissioners incompetence. Without the ACC, you would be home watching everyone else play football this year.

Nov 11, 2020, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Re: Finally someone who makes sense. Join the ACC ND or the ACC ]

I'm an ACC fan and I'm ok with the current situation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder what would happen if we did threaten to pull

Nov 11, 2020, 10:39 AM

those 5 games. A couple years ago I don't believe ND would care about that at all. I think they would happily pick up games against traditional B1G foes such as Michigan, Michigan State, and Purdue. Add that to other traditional opponents such as USC, Stanford, Army, Navy, etc and you have a really solid schedule most years.

One key thing has changed in recent years though - both the B1G and Pac12 now play 9 league games. I'm not sure how keen all of those programs would be to pick ND back up on the schedule right now given those constraints. On the other hand, both of those conferences have many of their rivalry games within the conference so it isn't like they are trying to fit both Florida and ND into a 3 game non-con schedule, so maybe they would be willing to do it.

I'm just not sure who has more leverage here, and that's ultimately what it comes down to. I would imagine the conference is benefiting financially from getting 5 games per year with ND, and, while having them in the conference as a full member would likely bring in a lot more revenue, having ND call our bluff and subsequently losing all games with them would probably be quite damaging.

Re: I wonder what would happen if we did threaten to pull

Nov 11, 2020, 10:46 AM

Some of the ACC schools may benefit that have trouble scheduling good OOC opponents. Clemson on the other hand has OU,LSU and Georgia home/away's in the years they don't have ND. I would Trade ND for more of those type matchups in future seasons.

Nov 11, 2020, 10:48 AM [ in reply to I wonder what would happen if we did threaten to pull ]

Notre Dame is like the girl who keeps telling the nice guy that she will soon break up with her boyfriend and to be patient.

The ACC is the nice guy.

NBC is the boyfriend who keeps buying Notre Dame really nice things.

Notre Dame's NBC contract is apparently up in the next few years.

Will Notre Dame choose love and marry the ACC, or will Notre Dame continue its gold-digging ways and keep stringing the ACC along as a fallback?

I think Notre Dame is a h*e who wants to keep the nice things and string the nice guy along.

Why don't the nice guys ever learn!?!?!?

Nov 11, 2020, 11:09 AM

Notre Dame would make more money from a conference tv payout. It’s not good digging. We have our own tv station essentially for college football. That keeps us in recruiting conversations and also keeps us as a national team.

Nov 11, 2020, 11:21 AM

It would be really interesting to look at the numbers on NBC vs the conference payout.

My guess without looking deeply into it is that you come out ahead with your current deal which gives you the NBC money for football AND you still get the ACC payout for other sports.

I'm not sure I agree with not being in a conference and staying on NBC keeping you a national team.

In most years ND fades out with the nation as soon as they lose a game. They become irrelevant to the big picture at that point.

Joining a conference, as you have this season, means that you can stay in the conversation after a loss because of the possibility of conference championship. This keeps you in the national conversation longer.

Join a conference and keep your game with USC and maybe one other big game on rotation and you will find you brand to be bigger than it's been in YEARS!

Nov 11, 2020, 11:52 AM

In now four of the last six years we have been in the top 4 in November. It seems to be working okay. Our bigger problem is that we were never capable of beating a Clemson/Ohio State/Alabama before last weekend, and that came at home with the help of injuries. We needed to prove we could do that and hopefully that helps with an additional 5* or so each year now. Our overall brand has not been the problem, it is the perception that we still can’t beat the big boys on the biggest stage, which has good merit given two losses to Georgia, two to Clemson, a blowout to Alabama, and a 16 point loss to Ohio State.

To Kelly’s credit our six losses in the last four seasons have all come to teams ranked in the top 20, both at game time and in final rankings. So the team has taken care of business against lesser teams better than anyone else (Alabama aside) during that time. But that only gets ya so far when you lose 42-14 and 30-3 after 12-0 seasons.

Nov 11, 2020, 12:30 PM

My point is not that Notre Dame is struggling.

You have been a good team lately as you have said with high rankings in 4 of the last 6 seasons.

My point is that in the 3 years you lost a game in November, you were all but eliminated from the discussion for the last month of the season.

In a conference, you would have taken 1 loss and still been talked about with the idea of responding in a conference title game to win your way in.

Being a good football team means you are in the discussion for most of the season. Having conference affiliation extends that grace period for staying in the discussion.

Nov 11, 2020, 12:38 PM

In 2015 we were in CFP top four right up until our second loss, on a last second fg at Stanford Thanksgiving weekend.

2016 we lost 8 games and had no business in even bowl conversation

2017 we were number three in November with one loss until Miami blew us out for our second loss, still had an outside chance till Stanford handed us loss #3.

2018 made the playoffs.

2019 were likely to make playoffs after early season loss at Georgia, till Michigan blew us out October 26 for our second loss.

I think we can still make playoffs as a one loss independent is what I mean.

I do appreciate the back and forth intelligent and polite dialogue, so this is not to discourage that. Thanks

Here are some numbers that reflect ND's ability

Nov 11, 2020, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Re: I wonder what would happen if we did threaten to pull ]

to pull in viewers the last 15 years and what Clemson brought to that table:

CLEMSON-NOTRE DAME IS MOST-WATCHED NOTRE DAME ON NBC MATCHUP IN 15 YEARS

No. 4 Notre Dame's Thrilling Upset of No. 1 Clemson in Primetime on Saturday on NBC Peaked at 14.2 Million Viewers in Double Overtime

Clemson-Notre Dame Averages 9.44 Million Viewers Per Fast National; Most-Watched Notre Dame on NBC Matchup Since "Bush Push" Game vs. USC in 2005

STAMFORD, Conn. - Nov. 8, 2020 - NBC Sports' coverage of Saturday night's top-five clash between the No. 1 Clemson Tigers and the No. 4 Notre Dame Fighting Irish averaged a preliminary* Total Audience Delivery of 9.44 million viewers across NBC TV and NBC Sports Digital - making it the most-watched Notre Dame on NBC game in 15 years, according to Fast National Data released today Nielsen, and digital data from Adobe Analytics.

*Does not include Out of Home viewership, which is included in official national viewership, and will be available on Tuesday. Viewership does not include the portion of the game that was interrupted on NBC by coverage of President-elect Joe Biden's speech.

The Fighting Irish's thrilling double-overtime victory, 47-40, over the nation's top-ranked team is the most-watched Notre Dame on NBC matchup since the "Bush Push" game against USC on Oct. 15, 2005 (10.1 million viewers) and is the most-watched ND on NBC primetime game on record.

Last night's game, which peaked at 14.2 million viewers from 11:30-11:45 p.m. ET (during the second overtime), will likely rank as the most-watched college football game of the season so far when official viewership, which includes out-of-home audience, is issued on Tuesday.

Clemson-Notre Dame (7:35-8:27 p.m. ET and 8:57-11:47 p.m. ET) delivered a 5.4/12 household rating.

NBC Sports' coverage of 2020 Notre Dame Football concludes on Saturday, Dec. 5, when the Fighting Irish host the Syracuse Orange at 2:30 p.m. ET on NBC.

[via press release from NBC Sports]

--Henry David Thoreau

Nov 11, 2020, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Re: I wonder what would happen if we did threaten to pull ]

The Clemson game was the most watched ND game on NBC in 15 years. The picture quality sucks and is over all a lackluster presentation IMO. Having a contract with NBC isnt the recruiting tool that it used to be when I can literally watch any football game I want to as long as it is being televised somewhere. If it was either watch ND vs. Anyone or I would more than likely take a different game. There are just way too many options and a lot of interesting teams to make watching ND for anyone other than a ND fan to mark it down as "gotta watch." I think it would actually make more sense to join the conference and share in the money but those are just my two cents.

Nov 11, 2020, 12:29 PM

I don’t have access to any ACCN games and I am a lawyer who is pretty big into college football. NBC is an advantage over that for 15-18 year old kids from all over the country

Nov 11, 2020, 12:34 PM

More 15-18 year old kids use streaming services for the tv watching. Almost all of them, if not all of them, carry the ACCN.

Just because you are stuck on a bad cable/satellite company does not mean the ACCN doesn't have the ability to reach tons of viewers.

Also the games typically on the ACCN are not the games that will attract your average recruit anymore than a 2:00 game on NBC vs Army, Navy, bad Michigan St, or many of the other games that you play with your typical independent schedule.

Nov 11, 2020, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Re: I wonder what would happen if we did threaten to pull ]

What does being a lawyer have to do with anything? Kids dont watch t.v. everything is streaming. I dont have the ACCN either but I am going to a streaming website before over the air broadcast and I am a lot older than the age demo you mentioned.

Nov 11, 2020, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Re: I wonder what would happen if we did threaten to pull ]

I don’t have access to any ACCN games and I am a lawyer who is pretty big into college football. NBC is an advantage over that for 15-18 year old kids from all over the country

Nov 11, 2020, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: I wonder what would happen if we did threaten to pull ]

Their future schedules are getting set in addition to their annual games with USC,Stanford and Navy they have some great series set with the likes of Bama,Ohio State, Wisconsin etc. They just don't need the ACC full time. Just continue to use them for some fill in games. They will never join. Hopefully the new commish will see the light because the current one doesn't.

Nov 11, 2020, 12:46 PM

Forgot the link

https://fbschedules.com/ncaa/notre-dame/

Nov 12, 2020, 2:17 PM

I fully agree.Why should ND get special treatment? It just feeds their pompous attitude and arrogance.
The ACC has survived all these years without them.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic