Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Facetious question about end times
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 617

Facetious question about end times

Apr 3, 2020, 5:47 PM

Where will you be when Harry Potter comes back?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Facetious question about end times

Apr 3, 2020, 5:54 PM

Dude I love Harry Potter. Do you know JK Rowling is a Christian? What an idiot she must be....

what can I say; she knows good fiction when

Apr 3, 2020, 6:24 PM

She sees it lmao

Re: what can I say; she knows good fiction when

Apr 3, 2020, 10:42 PM

You can believe whatever you choose to believe my friend. But convincing yourself that you have a superior knowledge than 6 Billion other people is a little smug. Your condescension is noted.

Based on what you've said, you seem to have faith in the idea that there's nothing to have faith in.

So, your viewpoint is superior to who?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2020, 11:05 PM

Why do we have to have “faith” in something. Is it so wrong to be curious about the universe and think critically about how we got here?

Saying religion is silly is no more smug than saying anti-vaxers or healing crystals are silly. It just comes off that way when you believe in the silly thing.

Apr 3, 2020, 11:39 PM

The point I'm making my friend, is you don't just believe what you believe, or don't believe. You attempt to persuade others of your beliefs. That's my point. Let people believe what they believe.

They know something that you don't know. Honestly, do you really think 6 Billion people are completely delusional? Really?

Think about it, why do so many people believe?

Faith is subjective, God cannot be proven empirically and your opinion on why people have faith isn't as important as you think it is. With respect.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2020, 11:59 AM

> The point I'm making my friend, is you don't just believe what you believe, or don't believe. You attempt to persuade others of your beliefs. That's my point. Let people believe what they believe.

The irony in that statement is hilarious. I'm on a P&R board, an appropriate place to discuss this, I'm not an evangelical Christian forcing my views on other people lmao.

>They know something that you don't know. Honestly, do you really think 6 Billion people are completely delusional? Really?

>Think about it, why do so many people believe?

Um.. I guess you didn't think too much about that statement before writing it. I said this before but while Christians hold a plurality in the world they are not the majority so your statement of "6 billion people can't be wrong" idea is silly. Those 6 billion people believe a LOT of different things.

There are over a billion Muslims, can they all be wrong? That's the exact same logic you are using.

Of course, I think a lot of people can be wrong about something. We are human, we are all wrong about a lot of stuff.

> Faith is subjective, God cannot be proven empirically and your opinion on why people have faith isn't as important as you think it is. With respect.

Well here is something we agree on. My opinion isn't that important, never said it was and faith is subjective. And as such we really shouldn't take it so seriously.

Apr 4, 2020, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Re: what can I say; she knows good fiction when ]

You're not thinking critically. You are taking a couple small insignificant parts of an entire theological view, ripping them out of their context and claiming the whole thing is a sham based on that.

It's funny that people will have more faith in what a modern day scientist thinks they know about millions of years of history than what human beings claim to have experienced a few thousand years ago.

Apr 4, 2020, 10:30 AM

It is a sham. Its no different than Scientology. That said, if believing in Christianity makes lives better, I fully support it. Having faith is probably better overall than not having it.

Apr 4, 2020, 10:35 AM

"Its no different than Scientology"

That's like saying South Carolina football is no different than Clemson football.

Dec 7, 2019, 11:11 PM

No it's like saying something make believe is like something else make believe. Gamecock football is at least real. Anyway, it's the same as any cult who believes in shams. Christianity is same as Heaven's Gate cult. It's just a larger more socially accepted cult that has been around longer. Faith is a good thing, even if it isn't based in reality. All religion is just nonsense made up by man though. I still respect Christians though. Some of the best people in this country are Christians.

Apr 4, 2020, 11:12 AM

Christianity has been far from socially accepted and there are key differences between it and the other religions.

There seem to be certain objective truths that the Bible recognizes and that the Christian worldview best explains IMO.

Of course I don't claim to know for certain but the naturalistic worldview which is basically that the world and all it's nuance and complexity spun into existence from nothing despite tremendous odds that we as human beings can't even comprehend against it seems much more out there to me.

Apr 4, 2020, 11:16 AM

Yep...Christianity is socially accepted.

Apr 4, 2020, 11:26 AM

For the first 300 years they were being fed to lions and lit on fire in the street. Despite that, they say Christians are more persecuted today than ever in the religions history. It is accepted in the southeastern united states, but IMO american christianity hardly even resembles first century christianity.

Apr 4, 2020, 11:43 AM [ in reply to Re: what can I say; she knows good fiction when ]

> You're not thinking critically. You are taking a couple small insignificant parts of an entire theological view, ripping them out of their context and claiming the whole thing is a sham based on that.

Small claims like the world was created in a few days when that is obviously not the case? Stuff like that?

I'm not sure you know what it means to think critically to be honest.

> It's funny that people will have more faith in what a modern day scientist thinks they know about millions of years of history than what human beings claim to have experienced a few thousand years ago.

I don't even know what to say about this statement. If you think ancient "wisdom" is more relevant than modern data-driven empirical evidence I don't know what to tell you.

That would be like taking a doctor's advice from the 1500's who wasn't even aware of germ theory. Are you seriously saying we can't improve our knowledge of the world?

Apr 4, 2020, 1:01 PM

I’ve already told you I’ve challenged my beliefs and still do. I’ve read some Bart Ehrman and other prominent atheists out there and their arguments quite frankly are weak and ironically you can find the writers asking a lot of the same questions about God in the Bible itself.

I bet your upbringing was based on biblical principles and I don’t think anybody can argue if everybody followed them the world would be a better place. What other book has been relevant to its readers for thousands of years? So there is some objective truth in the Bible and if these ancient people were smart enough to give us these truths to live by that are still relevant today, why should I assume their belief in God was based on ignorance?

I’m very skeptical of this scientific evidence you speak of. A lot of these fossils they claim are evidence of human evolution are merely a piles of bones. If you want to put your faith in some guy in a lab claiming he can decipher the age and exactly what the creature looked like from that then I don’t know what to do for you.

Apr 5, 2020, 8:45 AM

I’ve already stated that I think there are great nuggets of wisdom in the bible, but there is wisdom in the other religious texts as well so what’s your point?

Also, if “piles of bones” is all the evidence you think we have supporting evolution then maybe do a little research. I don’t know what to tell you. The fossil record is just a part of the supporting evidence.

I bet you didn’t realize that we can sequence our genome and compare it to other species and see where we last shared a common ancestor.

The really cool thing is that we couldn’t do this until relatively recently and it lined up perfectly with what we expected from the fossil record.

It would be sooo easy to invalidate the theory of evolution but we haven’t found an iota of contradictory evidence. If you have this you would win a nobel prize overnight.

Also, if we were created why do male mammals have non-functioning mammary glands? That makes zero sense under the creation mode but perfect sense under the evolutionary one.

Also, were you aware that our dna is littered with viral dna? Why would a creator sprinkle that in?

Why can we look at the fossil record and dna and see that manatees (some of which have toenails btw) are related to elephants or that tree moss is closely related to pineapples?

Its because we all share a common ancestor. This isn’t some wild guess or fantasy (unlike religion) its back up by hard evidence that you can look up or go to a natural history museum and see for yourself.

If you don’t think evolution happens in the year 2020 its only because of willful ignorance.

Look what we can do with artificial selection (e.g. dog breeding) over a few generations now imagine what can happen naturally over eons of time. It’s really not a hard sell

Apr 3, 2020, 6:23 PM

dont even mention harry potter, I still get nightmares to this day over that ###.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2020, 6:34 PM

No sense trying to divine it because the Bible says nobody knows but Him alone. So all those attempting are gonna look pretty silly.

Jared...?***

Apr 3, 2020, 7:51 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jared...?***

Apr 3, 2020, 8:43 PM

Nope, you may play as often as you want guessing. I myself am not religious and would be most aptly described as an atheist . I have read most of the Books.

Who?

Apr 3, 2020, 8:37 PM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 21
| visibility 617
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic