Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tigers pressured into 41-27 loss against Seminoles
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Nov 8, 2008, 10:42 PM

The home crowd sang Happy Birthday to the elder statesman Bobby Bowden, who is locked in a battle with Joe Paterno for the all-time wins lead. It was just another reminder for Dabo Swinney, 40-years his junior, just what he was up against Saturday along with having to work with a makeshift offensive line. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU's O ran all over Clemson. FSU's D ran over Harper.

Nov 9, 2008, 1:04 AM

FSU's defense spent so much time in the backfield, I'm a bit surprised that Swinney didn't play the more mobile Korn.

Swinney and Harper need to learn how to manage the clock and stop wasting time-outs because they can't get the play off.

Clemson needed to play well to win. They didn't.

Win out!

Re: FSU's O ran all over Clemson. FSU's D ran over Harper.

Nov 9, 2008, 1:05 AM

Grandma thinks Korn's mobility is rather overrated from what she has seen. Grandma watched a lot of football.

Nov 9, 2008, 9:58 AM [ in reply to FSU's O ran all over Clemson. FSU's D ran over Harper. ]

Get off the Korn bandwagon! It is obvious with his play against first team defenses in game situations he is not ready! For example, against GT, we looked awful before he got hurt and agains FSU he had one series where we wasted two timeouts and had -3 yards (1/2 passing) and he loafed out of bounds and paid for it! If that was a RB or WR that penaly doesn't get called!

And speaking of timeouts, Harper and Swinney burned 1 time out in the second half (that's the entire second half) because they didn't have the right play call. Korn and Swinney burned 2 in 1 series! Although, I will admit I was suprised not to see him in at least one series in the second half.

I thought, considering the immense pressure he was under, Harper played well. He made one big mistake and that certainly wasn't the difference in the game! And don't talk about it was the turning point either because sure they got the mo and went up 13-10 but we took the mo right back to go up 17-13.

This game is on our o-line and our defense who got ripped for 260 plus yards rushing and 400 plus yards of total offense.

Nov 9, 2008, 2:01 PM

No doubt that the O-line and defense were the biggest problem. Hence my subject line above. What else can one say about it?

But Harper's pick-6 WAS a major difference in the game. Without that, (assuming all other scoring was the same) Clemson would have tied the game at 27-27 with 2 minutes left in the game, and Clemson wouldn't have even tried an on-sides kick that led to a short-field score by FSU. Who knows what would have happened? But Harper's pick-6 was pivotal. It brought a silent crowd back into the game, swung the momemtum, and caused Clemson to play from behind most of the game-- which isn't easy to do, especially for Clemson, and especially at Doak.

I don't know how anyone could make an in-depth assessment of Willie Korn's performance with the 1st team, considering that we've only got to see him run about 4 defensively smothered plays in the last few games. But I guess the coaches know best.

Harper has been throwing some nice passes. But he's also thrown a lot of terribly inaccurate ones. And Harper has just been throwing way too many (bad judgment) interceptions. He threw three picks against BC, two of which resulted in very short fields and 14 BC points. Against GT, Harper threw two picks, including a pick-6 that was the difference in the game. Against Wake he threw a pivotal pick-3 at the 20.

The O-line didn't protect Harper against FSU. But Harper's mobility and pocket presence are mediocre at best. He just doesn't have that knack for stepping up into the pocket or slipping a sack. He back pedaled into the defensive ends numerous times, whereas Ponder (Crane, Skinner, et al) stepped up into the pocket, or scrambled to evade sacks, and ran for first downs when the protection broke down. I can't even think of the last time that Harper ran for a first down when pass-protection broke down.

I'm not a Korn fan. But at this point, I don't think that Korn could do any worse if he were put in for a few series and were actually given the chance to get a rhythm going. I could be wrong. Even if Korn is similar, at least Clemson would be in better shape for next season.

I actually think that the wasted time-outs were more of a coaching play-calling problem than a QB problem.

Nov 9, 2008, 7:30 PM

Let's not get into the what if game. No doubt the pick-6 was a big play. But it certainly was NOT the play that cost us the game.

To help your memory a little, Harper ran for a first down in the second half of the FSU game. And he ran for a TD against BC. He also made some nice scambling plays avoiding pressrue in each of the last three games.

And in the GT game, that was Grisham that threw the pick-6. You can't pin that one on Harper. Korn was still the QB at that point. And Harper's picks in that game were not pivitol. He threw one at the end of the first half which actually was a nice interception by the DB and his second was a hailmary at the end of the game.

In the wake game, the pick-3 was big but we still had the lead after the 3. And the pivitol point in that games with the 3rd and 20+ from their own 3 yard line that they got a first down. Wake then proceeded to march down the field for the game winning score.

In both the GT and Wake games the D gave up crucial 4th quarter game winning drives. And the D looked terrible against FSU.

Harper has not played well this year, but neither has the entire team. I would like and expect to see more of Korn the last three games. But like you said, the coaches know more about this situation than we do.

All in all, we played well enough offensively yesterday to win. We put up 27 points against a tough, fast FSU D. We have scored 54 points the last two road games. That is not bad considering our issues on offense with running the ball, the o-line and turnovers.

And I wouldn't be too concerned about next year until a coaching decision is made. A new coach may not even thing Korn is good. Or who knows, Parker may beat out Korn next year.

regardless of who coaches or qbs if we don't learn to

Nov 9, 2008, 8:26 PM

get pysical on the oline we will not beat many teams.FSU will only get better. I know we have had injuries and had to change guys around but we continue to get shoved around and it seems like this has not improved at all since Bama. it just doesn't seem quite as bad because the skill guys may have got their timing down a bit but the problem still remains that we cannot come off the ball on running plays and can't keep the guys in front of us from knocking us back on pass plays. Optimism will say it is a matter of technique but reality says it is a matter of being soft and we can only hope that experience will change that.

Re: regardless of who coaches or qbs if we don't learn to

Nov 9, 2008, 9:23 PM

agreed

Pathetic reporting by TNet staff ....

Nov 9, 2008, 10:21 AM

"Harper threw his third touchdown pass of the first half falling backwards just before being laid out by the Seminole rush. He completed a 9-yard touchdown pass to tight end Michael Hunter midway through the second quarter to give Clemson a 17-13 lead. "

Harper threw 3 TD in the first half??? We may have won the game in that scenario. And I don't recall a Michael Hunter playing TE for Clemson this season {or any other, for that matter}. That's slack even if it wasn a national media report. But for it to be a homer report, that's just inexcusable.

Re: Pathetic reporting by TNet staff ....

Nov 9, 2008, 4:52 PM

"That's slack even if it wasn a national media report."

Lighten up. You forgot an apostrophe and a "t" on wasn't.

My apologies

Nov 9, 2008, 10:24 PM

still miffed over the loss, I guess.

Re: Pathetic reporting by TNet staff ....

Nov 10, 2008, 3:45 PM [ in reply to Pathetic reporting by TNet staff .... ]

Harper did throw three Td's in the first half, Two for us and one for Florida State. The article didn't say anything about all three being for the Tigers...

Re: Tigers pressured into 41-27 loss against Seminoles

Nov 10, 2008, 8:58 AM

Our defense should have played better. 27 points is good enough to win. The offense had trouble but played well enough to win this game. This loss is 100% on the defense.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic