Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: WATCH: Swofford discusses future ACC tournament relocation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

FB Update: WATCH: Swofford discusses future ACC tournament relocation

Mar 7, 2017, 8:25 AM

WATCH: Swofford discusses future ACC tournament relocation

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is wrong for an athletic conference to pick a side

Mar 7, 2017, 8:38 AM

On a political issue, and assume it occupies the moral high ground, and punish an entire state over it.

I wish more people organized an attempt to leverage the ACC to stop unilaterally enforcing its own version of political morality on everyone. What gives them the right? Are we really powerless to stop them?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sports has been used as a pulpit forever.

Mar 7, 2017, 9:06 AM

Also, if there are two sides, by definition - both are using it as a chance to 'fight' something.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Definitely not correct. You would never have seen this

Mar 7, 2017, 6:11 PM

nonsense PC in the 50's, 60's, 70,s etc. People had more common sense which is not common anymore.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it is north carolina

Mar 7, 2017, 9:07 AM [ in reply to It is wrong for an athletic conference to pick a side ]

yes

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: It is wrong for an athletic conference to pick a side

Mar 7, 2017, 2:43 PM [ in reply to It is wrong for an athletic conference to pick a side ]

Figure out who the sponsors are and determine if they agree that boys should be allowed to sit down and pee with the chicks of they want and you will see why they are doing what they are doing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

ACC has every right to take a stand.

Mar 7, 2017, 9:24 PM [ in reply to It is wrong for an athletic conference to pick a side ]

As I've stated before, I'm not sure that boycotts such as this one are really effective (quite possibly they are counter-productive), but the ACC was certainly within its rights to use the allocation of tournaments & championship events as leverage against a law that most people in the academic community consider to be odious. Remember, HB2 didn't just regulate transgender bathroom use (which was a completely non-existent issue to begin with), it swept away all legal protections for gay & lesbian people & sanctioned discrimination against them statewide, thus undoing in one swoop what took decades of organizing, lobbying & activism to achieve.

In fact, this was the real purpose of HB2 all along; the bathroom provisions were just a pretext & a means of selling it to the public. The passage of HB2 was part of an organized push-back against the victories in gay civil rights achieved over the last few years. State legislators couldn't strike back against same-sex marriage, established as it was by the courts, so they struck at local anti-discrimination ordinances instead. Arkansas & Tennessee were the first 2 states to take this tack, followed by N.C. with HB2 & Mississippi shortly thereafter. If it hadn't been for the backlash against the N.C. law, copy-cat laws would've spread like a wildfire through the state legislatures by now. Texas legislators are currently debating a law much like HB2, & the votes are there to pass it, but the threats by the NFL, NBA & NCAA to keep championship events out of the state have caused many of them to reconsider. Maybe one doesn't believe gay people need or deserve any legal protections, or dismisses such protections as "political correctness", but that's not where college presidents & league offices are these days.

Re: ACC has every right to take a stand.

Mar 8, 2017, 8:40 AM

Yours is a very good, reasoned post. At its core is the idea that unelected, non-judicially reviewable athletic conference officers have the right...the duty...to oppose the decisions of duly elected, and judicially reviewable state officers. I hope that is not where we are and if that is where we are, I hope we will move. Otherwise it is easy for the oppressed to become the oppressors...and at the least become sore winners. I don't believe our country is better off, if we choose to go with the unelected and unreviewable, no matter the subject. That may be too much to ask of public opinion, vice public elections.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 9, 2017, 12:53 AM

Well, it was a "duly elected" president who in 1837 defied the Supreme Court & ordered the military to dispossess the Cherokee & send them on a thousand-mile forced march in which many thousands died. (In fact, the land on which our beloved school was constructed was taken from the Cherokee during the French & Indian War, to become the plantations of Andrew Pickens & John Calhoun.) As it turned out, some Cherokee chose to resist in 1837 & fled deeper into the mountains; their descendants form the Eastern Band of the Cherokee Nation. A few decades later it was "duly elected" officials, backed by mob violence & KKK terror, who imposed Jim Crow segregation on black people & stripped them of their civil rights, which was "judicially reviewed" & judged to be constitutional. Should that have been the end of things? Should black people have just meekly accepted their fate? Back then, they didn't have any political allies, & the voters had tired of protecting them from violence & ensuring their civil rights. Black people were considered to be biologically inferior (this was the scientific consensus of the times!) who thus were not deserving of equal treatment & equal rights. Indigenous people were nothing but "savages" who had no rights of citizenship or sovereignty whatsoever. This was a time when "social darwinism" had much currency among the smart set.

For sure times have changed a lot since then; that goes especially in academia. But as Mark Twain is reputed to have said, "History doesn't repeat itself but it does rhyme". The election of 2016 sounds a lot like the election of 1876, right down to the loser of the popular vote being declared the winner by the electoral college. What's especially salient is that the outcomes of both - in spite of closely divided electorates - were a total victory for white supremacy & reactionary authoritarianism.

Throughout history it has often been the case that "duly elected" leaders have made terrible decisions & enacted malign policies that harmed, even killed, millions of people or outright stripped them of their rights - in our country as well as others. History is replete with "duly elected" leaders who once in office consolidated their power & imposed autocratic, authoritarian rule on their countries. The question for those of us who stand to be stripped of our rights now is whether we meekly accept our fate, or rather organize, enlist our allies & fight back. There's nothing illegitimate or inappropriate about choosing the latter option. Politics isn't just about elections. Some people may call it blackmail, but to me it's simply leverage. I'm really sorry that it's come to this. But when it comes to leverage one must either use it or lose it.

Mar 10, 2017, 12:54 PM

"Have we reached the ultimate stage of absurdity where some people are held responsible for things that happened before they were born, while other people are not held responsible for what they themselves are doing today?"
— Thomas Sowell

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe athletic conferences should not put themselves

Mar 8, 2017, 9:12 AM [ in reply to ACC has every right to take a stand. ]

in the position of moral police. It's like an oligarchy.

They are in a position to dictate morality that effects millions of people, without having to consider the wishes of more than about two dozen of them.

Elitism is fine if it's someone's world view... but it should never be a practical, rule-setting mechanism.

The ACC is hijacking something important to a diverse group of people; and they are doing so without proper consent. They are shielded from natural consequences of their actions.

Athletic conferences are supposed to be merely a mechanism of organization that looks out for the well-being of its member institutions. Punishing entire states for laws that its leaders disagree with is wrong.

Actions like this make meaningful debate even more difficult. One side has dismissed the other as "factually wrong" for decades, and now the other side has abandoned facts altogether.

Re: FB Update: WATCH: Swofford discusses future ACC tournament relocation

Mar 7, 2017, 8:50 AM

Baseball: Myrtle Beach SC. ACC Tournament was scheduled there several years ago and you moved it to Greensboro if I'm not mistaken. Football can be rotated at any non participating School not in Championship Game except NC Schools and NOT IN ORLANDO. Men and Womens Basketball could be played at North Charleston Coliseum or at Atlanta or BiLo Center. But none of this can be done waiting til the last minute.

ACC offices still in Greensboro = Only a $$$$$$ issue***

Mar 7, 2017, 9:06 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 7, 2017, 10:03 AM

Two comments:
1. In the video description: "...current discriminatory legislation"? Shouldn't discriminatory be in quotes? Or changed to something like "which the NCAA and the ACC leadership have determined is discriminatory?"?
2. Rationale: Unlike Swofford and others in the academic ruling class, I do not advocate for one side or the other here. I object to their circumventing of our process. We have legislation, court cases, elections and just yesterday a Supreme Court ruling on the subject. That is how we decide public policy. By acting before the democratic processes of our Republic have run their prescribed course, Swofford and his selfish, "we are smarter than anybody else and know what's best for you" ruling elites appear to be outside the mainstream of our process, yet again.
3. Washington, DC may not be the only swamp which needs a good drain!

Enough with the self-righteous posing.

Mar 7, 2017, 9:42 PM

You are indeed advocating for one side. Your language practically drips with contempt for the other side. Now, you certainly have the right to speak your opinion, but the NCAA & ACC likewise have the right to use what leverage they have to take a stand against discriminatory, mean-spirited & reactionary laws. Like it or not, gay people nowadays do have some allies in their fight for equal rights & dignity.

Re: Enough with the self-righteous posing.

Mar 8, 2017, 7:08 AM

I do have a side. But I did not take it in this post. As I wish Swofford would do, I am eagerly awaiting the outcome of the PROCESS of deciding what is best for public policy, especially at a state, government school? S historically has a long list of outrageous and uneven decisions. Any thought that my post goes to that or that I too wish he would not force his world view on the rest of us and just stay out of it? Otherwise, you might in the future want to read a post for comprehension, vice posting a knee-jerk, divisive, intolerant, judgmental screed.

Mar 7, 2017, 10:33 AM

This is just ludicrous.... Stay out of politics and let's play ball!

Mar 7, 2017, 10:37 AM

Agree^^^

Translation: It won't be an issue until 2019 because

Mar 7, 2017, 3:01 PM

Basketball Tourney is playing another year in Brooklyn

My takeaway is that Greenville is on the table

Mar 7, 2017, 3:46 PM

Because the Well is available and houses neither an NBA nor an NHL franchise.

IF it comes to that. Use the SECW Tourney and regionals this year as a measuring stick for the future. Great opportunities for Greenville to step up and become a huge host city for more than just the SECW Tourney.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What I'm having a hard time comprehending

Mar 7, 2017, 5:43 PM

Is if the ACC Conf has such an issue with the state of NC, why do they allow one of their teams to participate in a bowl game in Charlotte (Belk Bowl)

Simple...It is a lot easier to #### over the fans as

Mar 7, 2017, 5:55 PM

opposed to their corporate partners

When is ACC going to move headquarters out of NC?

Mar 7, 2017, 5:45 PM

And ask Tar Holes, Dook, State, and Wake to relocate? I hate PC. This bathroom issue is one of the dumbest issues ever created. Use the equipment God gave you.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting that the ACC Championship for wrestling was just

Mar 7, 2017, 11:36 PM

Interesting that the ACC Championship for wrestling was just held in Raleigh last week.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic