Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: WATCH: Dabo Swinney previews Georgia Tech
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 2
| visibility 1,224

FB Update: WATCH: Dabo Swinney previews Georgia Tech

Nov 11, 2014, 12:20 PM

WATCH: Dabo Swinney previews Georgia Tech

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: WATCH: Dabo Swinney previews Georgia Tech

Nov 11, 2014, 7:35 PM

This is a taste of how the NFL views a defensless receiver from a Rodney Harrison hit:

Subpart 8(h) is the "launching" penalty that applies exclusively to receivers. It states "If a receiver has completed a catch and has not had time to protect himself, a defensive player is prohibited from launching (springing forward and upward) into him in a way that causes the defensive player’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm to forcibly strike the receiver’s head or neck area—even if the initial contact of the defender’s helmet, facemask, shoulder, or forearm is lower than the receiver’s neck."

The act of "launching" is defined as "springing forward and upward by a player who leaves his feet to make contact on the receiver."

The rule expressly states that it does not matter if the initial contact is made lower than the neck -- it is nevertheless a penalty if the neck or head are ultimately stricken.

This is from the NFL, and going by this it seems pretty cut and dry...The Clemson defender definitely launched himself into a receiver who had NO TIME TO PROTECT HIMSELF (heck he hadnt even made the catch yet, and the defensive players helmet clearly made contact with the receiver.

Heres what really happened: The defender saw a receiver running towards him who was in a defensless position because he was concentrating on making a a catch (a football play). What are the defensive players choices? 1. The defender can make a play on the ball ie go for the interception (a football play), but defender thinks to himself: hmm if I try to make a play on the ball like the offensive player is doing, I will have to focus my attention away from the offensive player and will have little control over how a collision will play out, leaving myself in a more vulnerable position, though not quite as vulnerable as the receiver who has no clue. 2. The defender could say hmm I dont want to make a play on the ball because I dont want to be vulnerable, instead I will blast this guy (cheap shot/assault))who has no chance to protect himself, and neither of us will catch the football. I will do so under the guise that im seperating the receiver from the ball like the coaches teach under current interpretations of the rule. 3. The defender could make a tackle, though the receiver hasnt obtained possesion of the ball, so in actuality this would be considered pass interference. My question is this: If its pass interference to obstruct a receiver after 5 yds, why is it not pass interference when the receiver is actually trying to make a catch and you blast him in the act? Its like saying: you cant interfere with a receiver unless he is making a catch, but if he actually tries to make a catch, you can blast him during the act. Seems kind of backwards to me. Make a play on the ball yourself, and if defenders aren't allowed to make a play on the ball once its in the air under current rules, then this should be addressed.
To me the defender only has two choices in this scenario: Make make a play on the ball or make a cheap shot and call it seperating the guy from the ball instead of what it actually is: #1. pass interference!!!!! #2. A cheap shot on a defensless player!!!!! The Clemson player couldve made a play on the ball, but that would have left himself vulnerable much like the receiver, and instead disregarded the health of the opposing player and in fact took advantage of his vulnerable position and blasted him. Its ok to blast players in the sport of football(without spearing), in fact its integral to the game, but its not ok to blast a player when they are vulnerable and in no position to defend themselves ie receivers making a catch. Please tell me why the defender couldnt have just made a play on the ball himself? Theres a huge difference between going for the ball and blasting someone, and its easily discernable...Make a play on the ball or get called for targeting/pass interference imo...dude never had possession of the ball and was completely unable to defend himself...anything else is a copout and/or a disturbing display of disregard for player safety.

Re: FB Update: WATCH: Dabo Swinney previews Georgia Tech

Nov 11, 2014, 7:36 PM

Im not blaming Clemson players or coaches, im just pointing out my opinion on the subject, in hopes that the game will change for the better, ie player health/safety.

Replies: 2
| visibility 1,224
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic