Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: WATCH: Clemson students may have to pay fee for athletics
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

FB Update: WATCH: Clemson students may have to pay fee for athletics

Nov 14, 2014, 10:13 AM

WATCH: Clemson students may have to pay fee for athletics

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tuition is already so high. With all of the TV money...

Nov 14, 2014, 10:19 AM

I don't see how that is needed. That was the greatest thing about being a student. Being able to go to every home game at no additional charge.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I thought they tried to hid this in my Tuition Fees?

Nov 14, 2014, 10:20 AM

of course that was back in a simpler time. (((kicks dirt)))

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Maybe they will stay for the whole game now or opt out and

Nov 14, 2014, 10:22 AM

free up some seats for other fans.

I am okay charging students for athletic events. Ain't no free lunch. I recall paying an sstuden-athletic fee at Clemson 40 years ago. Not sure why it was dropped.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I paid a student/athletic fee 25 years ago

Nov 14, 2014, 10:24 AM

is this something different?

Re: I paid a student/athletic fee 25 years ago

Nov 14, 2014, 10:50 AM

No you didn't. You paid a student activity fee that went to fike/rec. sports. It was very minimal (like 50 bucks) and has nothing to do with our athletics programs

My senior year they remodeled Fike...

Nov 14, 2014, 11:04 AM

the students were still charged the $50 fee to use Fike even though it wasn't available the entire year. That's the only fee I ever disagreed with.

They still have it. It is roughly $40 - or at least it was 4

Nov 14, 2014, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Maybe they will stay for the whole game now or opt out and ]

years ago. I am not sure if this $350 fee thing would be an increase or if it would be an optional thing (like paying for season tickets as some students do).

I do think Clemson should keep it low and no higher. It shows that the students' presence is valued at the games, and it is. If they want to take some of the allotment away for certain sports that are poorly attended, then fine, but don't charge the student in order to turn around and give that to another student.

Re: They still have it. It is roughly $40 - or at least it was 4

Nov 14, 2014, 10:56 AM

Two different things. You are referring to the student activity fee which has nothing to do with our ncaa teams. It shows that the students presence is valued? I would argue that the students do not return that same effort back to the school.

It is past time to implement this. The fans have already been hit hard with price rices every single year, but for some reason the students feel like they are above paying for something. To bring in the tuition argument is completely off base as this fee is simply there to pay for the cost of the service.

As far as the student body presidents example of little kids saying "so and so did it" that is also a worthless argument and I HOPE LIKE HELL that she is not a business major.

Re: They still have it. It is roughly $40 - or at least it was 4

Nov 14, 2014, 3:50 PM

Students up to now have been very fortunate to be able to attend all sporting events without having pay anything extra. In an effort to remain competitive I think it's either going to be to implement a fee for students or they'll do a lottery like other schools do. With the latter not all students will be able to go to the games as those seats could be sold in the blink of an eye to fans wanting the lower bowl.

Of people talking about focusing our efforts on becoming a top 20 school instead, I'd be interested to know how many of them heard of, went to, or are at Clemson because of the football tradition. Success comes at a cost and the more successful Clemson becomes athletically and academically the more costs are going to be associated with attending the school and events.

Re: FB Update: WATCH: Clemson students may have to pay fee for athletics

Nov 14, 2014, 11:18 AM

I dare say without a competitive athletics program that brings in millions to the university, student fees would already be higher. It's going to have to happen at some point or this subject would have never come up so we know it's being considered. We either have this fee or find some other way to find this money or we will no longer be able to compete at the level we are currently. Maybe having the biggest football stadium, basketball coliseum, baseball stadium in the Southern Conference is where we are headed. I know this university's alumni won't financially support any team that plays in that level of sports. We just can't have it both ways. For a 4 year degree this fee would add a total of $1500 to the bottom line of a student loan balance. I'm guessing it might add maybe $5.00 a month for the life of a loan. My god fraternity and sorority dues are more than that....it's a choice that has to be made or either the culture of this University will change forever.

My thing is this...

Nov 14, 2014, 11:46 AM

When I send my kids to Clemson in a couple of years, I/we will have to pay a fee to the athletic program that I have been donating to for umpteen years and that athletic program is going to turn around and give scholarships AND money to the athletes. The athletes will get a free education plus a stipend while my kids have to pay for their education.

Is that right or do I misunderstand something?

Re: My thing is this...

Nov 14, 2014, 12:00 PM

Is it right? H3LL NO! I hate the thought of athletes getting paid but if our athletic programs aren't able to compete at the current level then, we lose millions in a reduction of TV revenues therefore higher cost to all students. It's almost a catch 22.

Nov 14, 2014, 12:53 PM

an additional fee would eliminate over half of the students that currently attend games. How do I figure this? My daughter, a current senior, and her close friends, would definitely opt out of the games at the additional cost. My son, a current freshman, and his friends, would probably chew off their left foot before missing a game. So, in my household, a 50/50 split. It would be a shame to see fewer students at the game. The game atmosphere would certainly change.

Nov 14, 2014, 12:18 PM [ in reply to My thing is this... ]

I'm with you. So when the students play bad, or don't do well are we suppose to get that money back or quit paying them, because last time I checked if someone performs poorly they get a demotion or fired. Also, why not pay the students who are making this school a TOP 20 school since they are the ones putting in all the hours and time? How about the kids who can't go to work because their major requires them to study 24/7 and to get extra spending money they apply for a loan? If the money goes strictly to renovations/scholarships, I understand but they need a way for someone to opt out if they don't want to, but as far as paying players, no way. If that's the case then they should either have to pay for their entire education once they leave, along with all the free things they get (including tutors) and the stipend they received. Just my two cents.

I would rather pay this than the $100 lab fees for English,

Nov 14, 2014, 12:19 PM

POSC, Physics and other Non Lab classes. I understand Chemistry where you actually use chemicals. The others are bogus.

Nov 14, 2014, 12:40 PM

They have one at Georgia Tech, so we have to have one too! Look at what has been done at Tech and you see the future of our department.

i thought the issue was

Nov 14, 2014, 12:43 PM

Athletics brings in so much money and the players don't get any of it. Why don't we pay out of that money?

Nov 14, 2014, 12:46 PM

Yeah just add it to my out of state tuition. Wonderful.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic