Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney responds to UCLA QB's academics comments
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 5,744

FB Update: Swinney responds to UCLA QB's academics comments

Aug 15, 2017, 4:17 PM

Swinney responds to UCLA QB's academics comments

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Swinney responds to UCLA QB's academics comments

Aug 15, 2017, 4:45 PM

That young man needs to learn to get facts before giving an opinion. He must think that Clemson's academic program for athletes is like UNCheats.

I've visited beautiful UCLA ...

Aug 15, 2017, 4:57 PM

AND they are not a CLEMSON!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have no issue with Rosen's full quote

Aug 15, 2017, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney responds to UCLA QB's academics comments ]

I think his point was that not all degrees/programs are the same. Dude did say "schools" and he may have meant Clemson or he may have meant the schools (communication v business) within the respective universities.

"I'm not knocking what those guys accomplished," Rosen said. "They should be applauded for that. But certain schools are easier than others. If I wanted to graduate in three years, I'd just get a sociology degree. I want to get my MBA. I want to create my own business. When I'm finished with football, I want a seamless transition to life and work and what I've dreamed about doing all my life. I want to own the world."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have no issue with Rosen's full quote

Aug 15, 2017, 5:30 PM

Everybody knows some schools are easier than others. I wonder if he knows that there are 14 business schools ranked ahead of UCLA. Maybe he should transfer to Penn or University of Chicago if hunts to compete against the best.

Aug 15, 2017, 10:53 PM

How good is that Univ. of Chicago football team going to be this year?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2017, 11:27 PM [ in reply to Re: I have no issue with Rosen's full quote ]

So if Rosen, you and everybody knows this, what are you mad about?

Aug 16, 2017, 1:31 AM [ in reply to I have no issue with Rosen's full quote ]

I agree that he was referring to the differences in the individual degree programs within a University and not the difference between Clemson and ucla......and he is correct. My issue with his comments is that he seems to be busting on our 4 guys (half of the entire country's total last year BTW) when the easy path would have been to do just enough to remain academically eligible for 5 semesters then skip town. Our guys distinguished themselves on and off the field and that should be applauded. Also Clemson can certainly hold her own with any school out there. Another Chem E here who worked for Exxon where Clemson engineers were highly recruited, regarded and successful. Left and went to medical school where 5 of the top 10 in our class were Tigers.......and that was many years before it got so competitive to even get in Clemson. Somebody once said " there is something special in those hills" and they would be right.....BUT it's time to spot the ball! GO TIGERS!

Aug 15, 2017, 4:59 PM

I would LOVE for him to meet Dexter Lawrence, Christian Wilkins and they boys!

Aug 15, 2017, 5:16 PM

He's not going to get that opportunity because UCLA will not be in the College Football Playoffs this year, nor will they be in the New Years six. Go Tigers.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I never had an easy class at Clemson.

Aug 15, 2017, 5:33 PM

I earned an electrical engineering degree with a focus in electronics. My engineering classes were certainly the most difficult, but I never, ever had an easy class at Clemson. I tried to find easy classes for electives to offset the rigors of engineering and I found none.

I'm sure every university has classes and tutoring set up the help athletes balance their demands, but just because Clemson has elite athletes that also finished school early doesn't mean Clemson is below average as an academic institution.

Interesting now that Clemson is with the elite in college football, some must excuse it by assuming that Clemson has low academic standards. I don't expect that noise to go away since Clemson will be on top for a while.

BTW, I've worked with engineers across the nation from various institutions and Clemson engineers are some of the best.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I never had an easy class at Clemson. Youre just saying

Aug 15, 2017, 6:07 PM

that because its true

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know that unlike unc (apparently), if you didn't go to

Aug 15, 2017, 6:24 PM [ in reply to I never had an easy class at Clemson. ]

class, ya didn't pass.

I never had a class in ANY department where only 1 paper was required and the ONLY class I had that only had 2 scheduled quizzes was probably the most difficult class I took (at least for me).....it was a calculus course---the mid-term counted 40% and the final counted 60%. I was scared witless and had I not had massive help from someone who minored in math, I'd probably still be trudging around campus with a 50 year-old backpack.......:~)

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I know that unlike unc (apparently), if you didn't go to

Aug 15, 2017, 6:52 PM

Hahaha!
I still often wake up from a recurring dream that I'm in the stairway in Strode (no clue why it's Strode - I was an engineering major) and someone from a class later in the day asks if I'm ready for "that test" to which I reply "what test?"....
Whew... I'm glad THAT'S over.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I never had an easy class at Clemson.

Aug 15, 2017, 6:45 PM [ in reply to I never had an easy class at Clemson. ]

Preach it, brother!
I got my ME degree and was dying to find some bowling or fitness class.
Negatory, Pig-Pen.
The way they stacked the elective requirement we had to have something like 3 of a kind or 2 pairs (or some kind of poker something). I wound up taking some literature class I thought I could cruise and it was horrible. I'd have been better off taking another round of Dr. Fig's themo or aero class.
To those guys that got their degree and went to the NFL in 3 years I say "good on ya and go Tigers!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chemistry and Physics II were pretty easy

Aug 15, 2017, 6:47 PM [ in reply to I never had an easy class at Clemson. ]

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Physics could have been easier but...

Aug 15, 2017, 7:28 PM

...I go the dreaded Dr. DP (Don't Pass) Miller.

I should have known I was in trouble when I walked into the second day of class and everyone had dropped except me, supernerd, and six Asian students.

Message was edited by: Tiger1983®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Physics could have been easier but...

Aug 15, 2017, 7:47 PM

I had DP in 1973. Happy to get a D

for me

Aug 15, 2017, 8:56 PM

After many,many semesters of science and mathematics I looked very hard for a few electives that the advisor would approve because I desperately needed a few A's. Either they were hard to find or I was especially dumb! I didn't find many!

A degree is vitally important regardless of the major.

Aug 15, 2017, 7:51 PM [ in reply to I never had an easy class at Clemson. ]

I thought I had a 'easy' class in advanced tennis - don't laugh. Who's the instructor in 1976? Chuck Kriese. the class grade was determined on the track behind the Sigma Nu house

Aug 17, 2017, 3:50 PM

I didn't know that they played tennis back then.......respect.

Aug 18, 2017, 8:35 AM

you're showing your lack of age. those Kriese years were among the best ever

Aug 15, 2017, 11:37 PM [ in reply to I never had an easy class at Clemson. ]

I can also proudly say that I earned an engineering degree at Clemson University and found the same difficulty in finding those so-called "easy classes".

Aug 16, 2017, 12:34 PM [ in reply to I never had an easy class at Clemson. ]

You didn't try very hard.

Psychology classes were easy.

There was a spelling class in the English Dept where you took a test at the beginning of the semester to level yourself and then did one spelling book a week from that level.

i.e. if you tested into the first grade level, you were spelling cat the first week.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2017, 6:16 PM

Tiger Nation. By now you've reached a conclusion on the UCLA QBs comments. His comments are laughable, as many of you know. As for myself. I finished with 158 hours in 4 years with a Chem Engr Degree. No, I'm not smart. Just persistent. 3 summers as well. I went thru ROTC, not as rigorous as athletics, but my academic regimen was far beyond most. Even the high and mighty UCLA QB. Jeez, what unmitigated arrogance.

My take on the nieve QBs comments is he's just stupid. Beyond nieve. He made a conclusion based on insufficient info. How common is that.

Reality is Clemson provides high quality graduates to American society. Check the stats Mr qb. I did and thousands of others have as well. Keep your mouth shut till you have something intelligent to add.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

All majors are pretty much the same ChemE

Aug 15, 2017, 7:28 PM

isn't any harder than Sociology ;)

Aug 15, 2017, 9:05 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney responds to UCLA QB's academics comments ]

Uhm...naive? ;) Just a Tiger helpin' a fellow grad out!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 15, 2017, 7:16 PM

Drops mic....BOOM!
Well said Dabo. Proud of the way you handled this.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Academy Schools. Mr. Rosen, academy schools.

Aug 15, 2017, 9:02 PM

Try being a student athlete @ a military academy Josh. Playing and learning skills which will serve something bigger than yourself. Nobody will ever mistake the academics at any of those schools as " easy "!
I too want to think he was thinking " major "! Not institution of higher learning necessarily! Either way, yeah it isn't easy.
CU is not and will never be mistaken as an easy school to graduate from. If he was referring to CU and those players graduating early, he needs to do a lot more research before trying to give the " easy school " label! But again, I can see where he meant what career field.
Cadets are laughing there behinds off @ how foolish he sounds( former cadets that is/ present cadets are probably prepping for inspection/before they start studying).

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why dues anyone care about that twit?

Aug 15, 2017, 10:40 PM

Seriously

Replies: 29
| visibility 5,744
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic