»
Topic: FB Update: Swinney ranked in Top 25 CFB Coaches' Rankings
Replies: 37   Last Post: Apr 4, 2015 8:36 AM by: Dugatiger®
This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.


[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 37  

FB Update: Swinney ranked in Top 25 CFB Coaches' Rankings


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 11:54 AM
 

 
Swinney ranked in Top 25 CFB Coaches' Rankings

Read Update »



Beamer over Dabo? yeah, right

[4]
Posted: Apr 2, 2015 12:00 PM
 

According to the article: "There was no set criteria, though the best way to describe our philosophies were to compare what each coach has actually accomplished and order them based on which one we'd want coaching our team right now."

There's no way in #### I'd take Beamer over Dabo.


I don't have a problem with it.


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 12:15 PM
 

Beamer has a few more ACC championships, and has done it for a long time at a high level. I don't think even a VT fan would argue who has the better future at this point - but not bad.

I don't think Petrino should be in front of him though...

badge-donor-10yr.jpg

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.


Re: I don't have a problem with it.


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 12:45 PM
 

Coaches like Petrino is what wrong with college football. He is a total slime ball.


Re: I don't have a problem with it.


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 12:47 PM
 

Beamer also has an 0-3 record against Dabo, one of which is an ACC loss...also hasn't scheduled Clemson since the 3 beatdowns. I can see basing the past accomplishments of Beamer, but if looking at who you'd take currently, Dabo's record vs Beamer speaks for itself.


Re: I don't have a problem with it.


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 12:47 PM
 

*ACC Title


Huh?


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 2:18 PM
 

VT doesn't choose to "schedule" Clemson games.. They're in the same conference we are, so we play them on a rotating schedule like all other ACC Coastal teams. Also, wouldn't all 3 of their losses vs. Dabo's Clemson teams be "ACC losses"?

2019 white level member

Re: FB Update: Swinney ranked in Top 25 CFB Coaches' Rankings

[1]
Posted: Apr 2, 2015 12:46 PM
 

Wasn't CBS sports the ones who picked Oklahoma as the lock of the week to cover the spread before the bowl? Don't think any of their opinions carry much weight.


how many of those coaches does Dabo have wins over?

[1]
Posted: Apr 2, 2015 12:49 PM
 

Stoops
Meyer
Miles
Fisher
Spurrier
Beamer
Petrino
Richt
Malzahn

I believe he has at least one win against every one he's ever faced.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

I count 8 (Malzahn wasn't HC when we beat them)***


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 12:59 PM
 



2019 white level member

Re: I count 8 (Malzahn wasn't HC when we beat them)***

[1]
Posted: Apr 2, 2015 3:49 PM
 

He was in 2012 when we beat them in Atlanta

2012_pickem_champ.jpg

Nevermind. No he wasn't.


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 3:53 PM
 

It was still cheesedick

2012_pickem_champ.jpg

Re: how many of those coaches does Dabo have wins over?

[2]
Posted: Apr 3, 2015 9:00 AM
 

looking forward to adding saban to that list in the playoff this year.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

You should never chalk up to conspiracy what you can reliably attribute to stupidity. Because stupidity is a much more powerful force in the course of human events.


Re: how many of those coaches does Dabo have wins over?


Posted: Apr 4, 2015 8:36 AM
 

I like the way you think. It certainly is doable.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

My opinion poll:

[2]
Posted: Apr 2, 2015 1:10 PM
 

#1 Dabo

throw the rest in a sock and sling em out one at a time and rank them by who comes out next!

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

I think the reason why Dabo isn't ranked higher is because


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 2:50 PM
 

Most people believe its been most of the coordinators who brought us the success while Dabo brings in the talent. I think Dabo deserves to be where he is ranked. Imo, he is learning from these coordinators, how they gameplan, schemes, etc. One day he will be that X's and O's type coach but for now his job is to bring in talent, keep players motivated and bring in the right staff to get the W's


Re: I think the reason why Dabo isn't ranked higher is because

[10]
Posted: Apr 2, 2015 3:16 PM
 

> Most people believe its been most of the coordinators
> who brought us the success while Dabo brings in the
> talent. I think Dabo deserves to be where he is
> ranked. Imo, he is learning from these coordinators,
> how they gameplan, schemes, etc. One day he will be
> that X's and O's type coach but for now his job is to
> bring in talent, keep players motivated and bring in
> the right staff to get the W's

Disagree utterly. Point to any wildly successful endeavor, of any kind or any place or time in history, and you will find a guy who not only is very good himself, but can also attract good people around him, and doesn't have some pathological need to be the center of all attention and micromanage every detail. Bill Walsh was one of the most successful NFL coaches in history - and basically his entire staff went on to coach NFL teams, and some of them have now won Super Bowls of their own. Was Walsh "propped up by his coordinators" or was he just a great judge of talent?

Spurrier gets a lot of credit because he's an "X's and O's" guy...but he won his national title at Florida with Bob Stoops as his defensive coordinator. Stoops in turn won his own title with Mike Leach as his offensive coordinator (and incidentally, Venables as his DC.) This past year, Nick Saban finally admitted he didn't know diddly about offense...and grudgingly brought in Lane Kiffin - a product of the Pete Carroll coaching tree - to run his offense for him. And then somehow didn't rip out Kiffin's larynx with his bare hands on the sideline even when it turned the ball over. (Which could still happen this year, and might. I have my popcorn ready.) Even Urban Meyer has had guys like Dan Mullen and Mike Sanford on his staff.

You don't win squat without a great staff, and being an "x's and o's genius" is way overrated, IMHO. Bobby Petrino is an x's and o's genius. Nobody argues he's got a great playbook and a great understanding of offense and playcalling. He also tends to run programs into the ground because of the way he doesn't recruit, especially on the defensive side of the ball, and the culture he breeds at his program. And then he bolts on for the next job before the bill comes due. And who exactly is a product of the Petrino coaching tree again?

I do find it interesting, though, that the other guy I'd consider a true-blue star in the making on that list, Stanford's David Shaw, was just at Clemson, just to hang with Dabo, and that the two are fast friends. Similar guys tend to just...find each other. How it goes. Talent attracts talent.


spot on in both posts quozzel! totally agree...


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 4:51 PM
 

You summed it up perfectly & I'd have a tough time injecting anything else into your synopsis.
thanks Dabo!
Go Tigers!!!


Good post, quoz....and I also think very true......


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 7:38 PM
 

it makes me chuckle when I hear or read people's comments (almost ALWAYS a chicken) that Swinney's not a "coach" because he was never a co-ordinator before he became a HC. What a load. I think Coach Swinney's PROVEN he was talented enough and knowledgeable enough to skip a coaching level and a few years experience to get to be the top Tiger on staff. He knows what to look for in talented assistant coaches

And I don't really have a problem with any of the folks who are ranked higher in this article....many have won NC's--some multiple....and they all have a bunch more experience and wins....but if they're not looking over their collective shoulders, they're making a big mistake.....IMO, Coach Swinney's gonna move up this ladder just as fast as he moved up the coaching ladder

As Clemson's recruiting continues to be highly ranked, Swinney's national ranking will continue to move even higher.

2019 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Re: I think the reason why Dabo isn't ranked higher is because


Posted: Apr 3, 2015 7:33 PM
 

Quozzel,

I actually agree with a lot of what you said. It pains me to say it but Dabo is the best up and coming coach in America. He's hands down the best recruiter in the country at the moment.

However, I disagree with you that he's under ranked on this list. A lot of the people you used as examples are people with long histories. Walsh's career was over more than two decades ago so it's easy to look back on. Urban Meyer has won everywhere he's been, which is several places.

Dabo is still in that wait and see mode. He made great hires with Morris and Venables but he still struck out his first two hires. Elliot and Scott will show us whether he's going to be able to consistently make the right hires.

Morris was a home run hire and I can see the hesitancy to wait and see how the two do without each other.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger


how does a person not around Dabo know he is not an X's & o'


Posted: Apr 3, 2015 9:58 AM
 

Coach. People just assume this because he wasn't a coordinator. Danny Ford wasnt a coordinator either. You apparently don't need to be a coordinator to be an excellent head coach

2019 white level member

have they checked who Dabo has beaten from that list?

[4]
Posted: Apr 2, 2015 2:53 PM
 

The only guys on that list whom Dabo has faced and does not have at least a .500 record against are Spurrier and Gary Patterson.

He has beaten #2, #3, and #4 on that list - all in the last three years. In bowl games, no less. He's owned Frank Beamer. He's won an ACC title, he's won a BCS bowl game...the only thing Clemson has not won thus far, in fact, under Dabo, is a national title. And you figure it's coming at some point.

Who's Dabo gotta beat before people finally start giving him some credit? You do not win 10+ games four straight years in a row (at a place that has never done that before!), by being a bad coach.

The fact remains - and I can't believe I'm saying this, push the wayback machine to about six years ago and you'd have found me singing an entirely different tune - but Dabo is by a bunch the best young coach in the country and easily top-five on that list already. And there is no coach I'd rather have as a program-builder. He can recruit. He can sell. He can lead. He can convince quality coaches to come work for him. He represents us exceptionally well. He stands for something beyond merely winning football games. He graduates his kids. He does not tolerate miscreant behavior - especially violence towards women - from his players. He gives opportunities to everyone, from the glitziest five-star to the lowliest walk-on...work hard and play well, and you get your shot and you see the field. I honestly think he could well be, at some point, the benchmark by which other college football coaches are measured.

Whatever metric you use, the guy has flat-out killed it. #22 on that list is one of the...dumbest, least-informed rankings I've ever seen. Lists like that are just pure offseason filler written by the uninformed.


So you didn't think Dabo was a good hire?


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 3:41 PM
 

Lol,shocking.

Being ranked 22 isn't a slap,how many other coaches with only 5 years and 1 conference championship are in front? It's a good ranking. ... not some slap as many of you ninnies are claiming.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.


Re: have they checked who Dabo has beaten from that list?


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 7:11 PM
 

Bingo!!!!!


Re: have they checked who Dabo has beaten from that list?


Posted: Apr 3, 2015 10:36 AM
 

1987-1990 said hello!


Mark Richt at #7? The list is now invalid

[1]
Posted: Apr 2, 2015 3:29 PM
 

Mark Richt is the only coach to have so many consecutive top 5 recruiting classes and never win a NC. They have the biggest discrepancy between recruiting rankings and production on the field. What an absolute joke it is to have him in the top 10 coaches.


Re: Mark Richt at #7? The list is now invalid


Posted: Apr 3, 2015 8:37 AM
 

And Les Miles is @ #4? I would grade this list very poor. Dabo coaches kids whom he picks who are of character, not just any kid who can play, and wins; he should be top 5.


#22 with a bullet as they used to say in music industry ...

[1]
Posted: Apr 2, 2015 3:44 PM
 

Dabo's position in the hierarchy is rising rapidly and his ascension has barely begun while many established old timers on the list are falling fast.

Dabo has beaten several of those highest rated guys recently. Meyer, Stoops, Miles, Spurrier ...

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

My top five

[1]
Posted: Apr 2, 2015 4:34 PM
 

I think number one is Saban because he's built three programs into contenders and won NCs with two of them. I'd put Gary Patterson at two for what he's done at TCU, Urban Meyer at three, Dabo at four, and Art Briles at five.


Re: FB Update: Swinney ranked in Top 25 CFB Coaches' Rankings


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 5:13 PM
 

Tenure works against Dabo with this list.


Lots of terrible selections here.

[1]
Posted: Apr 2, 2015 5:33 PM
 

Saban/Meyer are definitely 1-2, and i might even have Meyer ahead of Saban now. Stoops at 3 is pretty awful. Patterson, Malzahn and Briles are all too low.

Helfrich doesn't deserve to be at #14 - he was given the keys to a Ferrari and he hasn't been there long enough to prove that he can do it when Kelly's players are gone.

Bill Snyder is way too low. The man might be old as dirt now but he's still an amazing coach. All he's done is win like 10 games a year at a place that nobody in their right mind would want to go to play football.

Beamer is wayyyyyyy too high. Him at 17 is like a career achievement award. His teams have been really bad for several years now. Their offense has been absolutely atrocious and "Beamer Ball" died a long long time ago. Bud Foster is the only thing keeping the program afloat right now.

Rich Rod should be higher. I think the Michigan thing was an aberration.

Dabo is probably a little underrated. There are quite a few good coaches ahead of him though that have achieved more in their tenure than he has thus far.


The list accomplished it's goal


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 8:28 PM
 

which is to get folks to read/discuss the list. This is much like the Bleacher Report with all their "Top 20 or 25" whatever's (programs, stadiums, fan bases.....)

If we're talking about the list, they are happy. Nobody at CBS Sports cares whether it's a good list. Really, it's better to be controversial.

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

All too true***


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 9:57 PM
 




Great post Quizzel!!!!!!***


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 10:43 PM
 




He beats Stoops like a drum and lures Venables away


Posted: Apr 2, 2015 11:36 PM
 

and is ranked 19 spots below him.

No credibility.


Dabo is one of only two coaches to have at least 4 straight


Posted: Apr 3, 2015 9:46 AM
 

10+ win seasons. The only other coach on that list to accomplish that is Nick Saban. And Dabo has plenty of wins over coaches they ranked ahead of him. Forget these fools opinions, Dabo's record speaks for itself.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Dabo is one of only two coaches to have at least 4 straight


Posted: Apr 3, 2015 6:50 PM
 

I agree, but the poll tells us all something about life. Once you are on top, it is difficult to be removed. One's ascent towards the top will see that one having qualified for respect long before it is recognized. s for the older guys on the list, I am okay with younger one's not getting all the respect so early - Beamer, as an example, has sure earned respect and while he isnt producing as he once did, VT cannot be simply disregarded. And as much as I hate to say it, Spurrier's 100 years of coaching sees him deserving positive recognition even if he is an ass.


So... TCU and Bama in the playoffs and he'll have #1-7 done.***


Posted: Apr 3, 2015 10:27 AM
 



2019 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Replies: 37  
[ Archives - Tiger Boards Archive ]
Start New Topic
3583 people have read this post