Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney calls for Notre Dame to join a conference to make College Football Playoffs
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney calls for Notre Dame to join a conference to make College Football Playoffs

Jul 27, 2015, 8:11 PM

Swinney calls for Notre Dame to join a conference to make College Football Playoffs

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

while we are at it I don't think major sports networks and conferences should be in bed

Jul 27, 2015, 8:23 PM

With one another either. Do u think Pinkel will go for that too? That's more of a travesty than Notre Dame making a playoff

I'm glad he speaks his mind rather than just spewing what

Jul 27, 2015, 8:35 PM

Swofford and the Notre Dame athletic director want him to say.

Finally....something worthy to discuss on this board..

Jul 27, 2015, 8:51 PM

Way to go Coach - let em have it. Irish are ENEMIES dang it. Well we'll just make sure they don't make no stinkin playoff when they get buttstomped in DV. The golden domers gonna need to get new jock straps on the way out of town. That new train pullin recruit gonna rethink his intentions after the NASTY take em to the shed. TOODEEP gonna put up numbers quicker than the national deficit...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Swinney calls for Notre Dame to join a conference to make College Football Playoffs

Jul 27, 2015, 9:01 PM

Why should ND even be allowed to play in a conference play off game when they are a team without a conference. They don't belong to a conference only bc of their greed of not sharing anything of their private contracts. Conferences shouldn't share any of the glory of being a conference championship. That's just like wanting to play for the big pay day, but refuses to pay the entry fee like everyone else had to pay to play....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Swinney calls for Notre Dame to join a conference to make College Football Playoffs

Jul 27, 2015, 9:09 PM

every team would want to be in Norte Dame's position, if they deny , they lie

It would be stupid for N.D. to join a conference, and they will always be eligible to compete for the title.

It's called money and the NCAA likes money and the money N.D. brings to the table

ND won't think it's stupid to join a conference, as soon as

Jul 27, 2015, 9:55 PM

...they go 11-1 and are ranked 5th or 6th and left out of the playoff. They don't have a problem being in a conference for all their other sports, because it benefits them. It can only be described as selfish on their part to keep just their football team independent. I guess it is good for the ACC, in that it gives 5 or 6 of their teams a good OOC opponent each year. Looking forward to kicking their butt this fall.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ND won't think it's stupid to join a conference, as soon as

Jul 27, 2015, 10:06 PM

Strange. ND doesn't go around telling Missouri how to run its program. ND doesn't go around telling Clemson how to run its program. ND is doing just fine without unsolicited advice from Mr. Pinkel and Mr. Swinney, thank you very much.

Re: ND won't think it's stupid to join a conference, as soon as

Jul 28, 2015, 7:24 AM

Not to be a fan boy, but COACH Swinney wasn't telling anyone how to run their program. He was asked for his opinion and he gave it truthfully! Glad to have a leader at Clemson that doesn't give in to this new age PC BS.

We all know that, but you know you can't say ANYTHING

Jul 28, 2015, 8:37 AM

about those arrogant dbag aholes program without offending the ghost of Knute Rockne. You know they think they invented football. At least that's the arrogance they walk around with.

Eff Knute Rockne, Eff The Gipper, Eff Rudy, and Eff the entire ND program. May they never win another game for as long as they play football.

Jul 27, 2015, 10:32 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney calls for Notre Dame to join a conference to make College Football Playoffs ]

CFP seemed to do fine financially last year with out ND. ND needs the NCAA more that the other way around. Without the possibility of making the playoff, ND would still have waloyal fan base but would be much less compelling of a product. This would hold true for any school who is left out in the cold on the outside of the power 5 conferences.

Jul 27, 2015, 10:34 PM

> CFP seemed to do fine financially last year with out
> ND. ND needs the NCAA more that the other way
> around. Without the possibility of making the
> playoff, ND would still have waloyal fan base but
> would be much less compelling of a product. This
> would hold true for any school who is left out in the
> cold on the outside of the power 5 conferences.

And ND should be left out why?

Because Dan Devine flipped us the bird in '77 for starters..***

Jul 27, 2015, 11:21 PM

I think you're confused

Jul 27, 2015, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney calls for Notre Dame to join a conference to make College Football Playoffs ]

They aren't eligible to play in the conference championship, they're eligible to play in the overall national championship.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think ND or any independent should have to join a...

Jul 27, 2015, 10:30 PM

conference. However, if they want to compete in the playoffs, they must go "12 up, 12 down," meaning they must run the table to make the playoffs, no exceptions. They must be the crème de la crème. Fair is fair. If teams like Marshall or ECU or any team outside the Power five must seem invincible, should expect the same standard for teams that rather be independent from a conference?

Re: I don't think ND or any independent should have to join a...

Jul 27, 2015, 10:33 PM

> conference. However, if they want to compete in the
> playoffs, they must go "12 up, 12 down," meaning they
> must run the table to make the playoffs, no
> exceptions. They must be the crème de la crème. Fair
> is fair. If teams like Marshall or ECU or any team
> outside the Power five must seem invincible, should
> expect the same standard for teams that rather be
> independent from a conference?

Why? Other teams can make the playoffs with one loss. Why shouldn't the same criteria apply to all schools? Keep in mind that ND's SOS is usually pretty tough. Or in other words, I've got no problem with SOS being a huge part of the equation, as long as it is applied evenly to all.

Jul 27, 2015, 10:41 PM

How tough really is the ND schedule? In 2012, they played a pretty soft schedule to say the least, the likes of BC, WF, I believe Miami was on that schedule and Navy. It really isn't fair across the board. The only teams that are eligible to lose a game hail from the PAC-12, B1G, and the SEC. The Big-12 nor the ACC are afforded that luxury. Why should Notre Dame be afforded that luxury? As a matter of fact, because they do no match up with natural foes, it makes teams that play them much less formidable, seeing that they only see their "normal" competition in two-four years with the exception to stall worth's Miami, Pitt, and Navy. So yeah, they should have to go undefeated. But so should BYU and Navy.

Jul 27, 2015, 10:49 PM

> How tough really is the ND schedule? In 2012, they
> played a pretty soft schedule to say the least, the
> likes of BC, WF, I believe Miami was on that schedule
> and Navy. It really isn't fair across the board. The
> only teams that are eligible to lose a game hail from
> the PAC-12, B1G, and the SEC. The Big-12 nor the ACC
> are afforded that luxury. Why should Notre Dame be
> afforded that luxury? As a matter of fact, because
> they do no match up with natural foes, it makes teams
> that play them much less formidable, seeing that they
> only see their "normal" competition in two-four years
> with the exception to stall worth's Miami, Pitt, and
> Navy. So yeah, they should have to go undefeated. But
> so should BYU and Navy.

Since you raised the issue, I am linking Jeff Sagarin's ratings from last year. He had ND with the # 33 SOS. He had Clemson with the # 48 SOS.
But let's say this year Clemson goes 13-0. And let's say ND goes 11-1, with the one loss being a 3 point loss to Clemson at Clemson. In your view, ND doesn't belong in the playoff? OK, sure.

http://sagarin.com/sports/cfsend.htm

if ND isn't in a conference

Jul 27, 2015, 11:20 PM

then the proclaimed credo of the playoff committee, that they will give more weight to teams
that are conf. champs than those who aren't, should be used to make a case for exclusion
of ND. It applied to TCU and Baylor last year and should be applied to independents also.

Conference champs have to play one more game than ND. Even if you domers don't like that
rationale b/c you say you have a tough sked. as it is. To the rest of the conference teams
it does matter, and always will.

ND is past the time of being the darling of college football world. In a playoff landscape
like it is now, being independent will hurt them and it should.

Yep, nobody outside of ND fans cherish the idea of being an

Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 AM

independent. It's pointless now. It doesn't make sense in the current landscape.

yep, segregation is out..Intergration in, on all matters,

Jul 28, 2015, 1:24 AM

Come on ND..being Irish & white is not a big deal anymore.

GoTiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: yep, segregation is out..Intergration in, on all matters,

Jul 28, 2015, 9:02 AM

> Come on ND..being Irish & white is not a big deal
> anymore.
>
> GoTiGERS!

But being independent is a big deal.

sure it does to ND. They get their cake & get to eat it***

Jul 28, 2015, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Yep, nobody outside of ND fans cherish the idea of being an ]

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: if ND isn't in a conference

Jul 28, 2015, 9:01 AM [ in reply to if ND isn't in a conference ]

> then the proclaimed credo of the playoff committee,
> that they will give more weight to teams
> that are conf. champs than those who aren't, should
> be used to make a case for exclusion
> of ND. It applied to TCU and Baylor last year and
> should be applied to independents also.
>
> Conference champs have to play one more game than ND.
> Even if you domers don't like that
> rationale b/c you say you have a tough sked. as it
> is. To the rest of the conference teams
> it does matter, and always will.
>
> ND is past the time of being the darling of college
> football world. In a playoff landscape
> like it is now, being independent will hurt them and
> it should.

We will see if last year was a one time thing or a sign of things to come. I personally think TCU and Baylor got hosed last year.

Good thing the selection committee disagreed with you

Jul 28, 2015, 11:28 AM

Only one team from a major conference won their division, won thier conference in a championship game, and went undefeated.

Only one team clearly won its way into the playoff.

How you would clearly put Baylor and tcu in above Oregon, osu, and bama is mindboggeling.

Perhaps the lack of a conference championship game hurt tcu and Baylor, I certainly hope it hurts any chance nd has.

Peace out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Good thing the selection committee disagreed with you

Jul 28, 2015, 11:40 AM

> Only one team from a major conference won their
> division, won thier conference in a championship
> game, and went undefeated.
>
> Only one team clearly won its way into the playoff.
>
> How you would clearly put Baylor and tcu in above
> Oregon, osu, and bama is mindboggeling.
>
> Perhaps the lack of a conference championship game
> hurt tcu and Baylor, I certainly hope it hurts any
> chance nd has.
>
> Peace out.

I didn't say that I would have put TCU and Baylor above Oregon, OSU and Bama. I said that I thought TCU and Baylor got hosed.
IMO, OSU did not belong. OSU lost to a 6-6 VaTech team at home. By contrast, TCU lost by 3 to Baylor at Baylor. IMO, the reason OSU got the 4th playoff bid was the cachet of the OSU names, i.e., having OSU in the playoffs would turn on more TV sets than having TCU or Baylor in the playoffs.

Aug 2, 2015, 11:58 PM [ in reply to Re: I don't think ND or any independent should have to join a... ]

The fact that you posted something about SOS is laughable. Clemson SOS will be determined on the teams they play in their conference year after year. And because they play a Georgia here and an Auburn there doesn't increase or decrease their SOS all that much. Same holds true for Alabama, TCU, Baylor, Ohio State, Oregon, Florida State My point to you is you do not play a known opponent. Heck, ND doesn't even play all of the FBS Independent schools (last time you played BYU or Navy). So SOS goes out of the window for Notre Dame.

As I pointed out before, because you play no known opponent, you have to win them all to even be recognized by the committee. As I pointed out, Navy, BYU or Army would have gotten consideration if it goes undefeated. A 1-loss Navy, BYU or Army team would have had the first test at a New Year's Six game. A 1-loss Notre Dame team would also get the same consideration, regardless who the loss is to because, again, you play no known opponent.

I looked at your schedule last year and compared it to this year. Other than Navy, Stanford, and USC, you do not play the same teams. Therefore, you have to win every game to be considered, regardless of SOS. You don't play in a conference. You play with the ACC but no known conference. So yes, your mountain should be steeper to climb.

Finally, I do believe the committee looks at strength of wins and not schedule. Therefore, beating Syracuse would not be the same as beating Florida State. Much like your loss to Arizona State is better than your loss to say Navy or USC. So in your scenario, a loss to Clemson would only help your cause if that loss was week 1 or 2. If that loss comes in week 5, as it appears that game would be on the schedule, then Notre Dame would NOT be in the playoffs. Therefore, a 11-1 Notre Dame team would not be as deserving as an undefeated Clemson team, whom had to had beaten defending conference champion Florida State, the runner-up in Georgia Tech, and stall worth's of their division like Louisville, NC State, Boston College; teams they play year in and year out. That also means, they beat Notre Dame. Which all correlates to what I have already suggested....

"Notre Dame does not play the same teams year in and year. Therefore, they should have to win them all to make the playoffs!"

Jul 28, 2015, 9:32 AM [ in reply to Re: I don't think ND or any independent should have to join a... ]

Because the teams in the playoffs competed in, and won, their conference championships. Why should ND waltz into the playoffs without having to do so?

Jul 28, 2015, 9:34 AM

> Because the teams in the playoffs competed in, and
> won, their conference championships. Why should ND
> waltz into the playoffs without having to do so?

There is no requirement that one win a conference championship in order to make the playoffs.

Jul 28, 2015, 9:35 AM

We'll see how that works out for you then.

I really don't understand the logic in people pushing for

Jul 28, 2015, 10:04 AM

Notre Dame to join a conference for football. If they don't want it, and their fans don't want it, what does it matter?

They play a decent enough schedule every year, no better or worse than other programs really in terms of SOS over the long haul. If they're in the mix for a CFP spot then so be it.

I see a lot of people whining about them being selfish with their football money, but if you look at the numbers ACC schools, and just about every other Power 5 program, make just as much per year on football from their media deals than ND does now with their NBC deal. I would go further and say that our deal with ND is a best case scenario - the ACC not only has extra value in the 2-3 ND away games every year, but our programs get national broadcast exposure via NBC when playing in South Bend.

College football isn't the NFL. I think it's great that conferences have different personalities and scheduling objectives. If the ACC were to homogenize up with the other 9-game conferences, we can kiss goodbye any meaningful OOC games other than SCar every year, and I don't know of any Clemson fan that wants that.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the big12 shares the same concern, the lack of a 13th game.***

Jul 28, 2015, 10:44 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

RIP

Jul 28, 2015, 9:25 PM

you will be missed

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic