Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: State bill would make Clemson pay football, basketball players
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

FB Update: State bill would make Clemson pay football, basketball players

Dec 17, 2014, 10:33 AM

State bill would make Clemson pay football, basketball players

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can see it now. " But the State made us do it"***

Dec 17, 2014, 10:39 AM

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

Re: I can see it now. " But the State made us do it"***

Dec 17, 2014, 11:39 AM

As I'm sure there are other dreadful mistakes in the minds of elected officials just waiting for any incident to unleash their personal interest and pushed it forward. Big brother Dickering around in college sports is the very worst thing that could ever happen in sports. Just remember, anytime you open a new can of worms with only one thought in mind. There is another can at the bottom of that one that will explode and destroy everything around it. This would force every state to do the same, and the best players are going to the highest bidder. South Carolina Government can't tell other states how much to pay their college players. And the richest schools win the championships. Very Bad Idea!!! Keep state Government the H&LL out of college sports PERIOD. State Government can't fix the thousands of problems they already have that's completely broken down.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is that pronounced Kimpson or Kimzon?***

Dec 17, 2014, 10:39 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd say Kimzon as snakes can't make a P sound.***

Dec 17, 2014, 10:41 AM

Re: Is that pronounced Kimpson or Kimzon?***

Dec 17, 2014, 2:30 PM [ in reply to Is that pronounced Kimpson or Kimzon?*** ]

that's a good one!

Clemson: Please handle this without legislative involvement.

Dec 17, 2014, 10:40 AM

This is a dangerous precedent...giving this money hungry legislature any sense of control over the athletic departments' funds will embolden them to progressively control more and more. On the surface this appears "fair" and humanitarian, but it isn't about that at all. There's a pot of money they want their grubby hands on.

Clemson can't do it on their own right now

Dec 17, 2014, 10:44 AM

either the NCAA has to change its rules or legislation has to be passed. The former is certainly preferable, but one or the other will absolutely happen in the next few years.

I'm holding out hope that the NCAA does something.

Dec 17, 2014, 10:45 AM

I'm telling you that having Government involved is not the answer. They want a piece of the revenue and want to collect income taxes from all instate athletes.

Re: I'm holding out hope that the NCAA does something.

Dec 17, 2014, 10:53 AM

I agree that it isn't the answer, but if the NCAA or its member schools don't do something about it, the government will.

This bill won't pass in SC, but within a year or 2 one will pass somewhere if changes don't happen first.

Bc wimmins basketball isnt already a money pit...

Dec 17, 2014, 10:42 AM

the landscape of college sports is going to change..

Dec 17, 2014, 10:43 AM

and for the worse.first comes paying them..next comes high profile players wanting more..third comes unions for said paid athletes.fourth comes strikes

Re: the landscape of college sports is going to change..

Dec 17, 2014, 11:17 AM

In the future, if student athletes are paid, they are employees of the university and are subject to open criticism of their on the Job performance. Also,if we give them a stipend then they must give something too, they have to stay for the full 4 years of their commitment.

Some people already openly criticize the players so

Dec 17, 2014, 3:25 PM

nothing will change from that standpoint.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe division 2 will be spared***

Dec 17, 2014, 12:18 PM [ in reply to the landscape of college sports is going to change.. ]

This sentiment irks the stew out of me

Dec 17, 2014, 10:46 AM

"It's being kept in the athletic programs, but it's not being given to athletes."

First of all, as a dad of 3 entering college in the next decade, have we lost sight of what tuition, room, board really costs? You are getting "paid" easily 40K a year, more than many college grads their first year in the marketplace.

Plus, how do weight rooms, locker rooms, player lounges, new unis for every game, stadiums they play in,etc get paid for? How do coaches who coach these guys up to be able to possibly make a roster in the NFL get paid for?

It's low hanging fruit for easy political points.

I am not totally against stipends for players, but I am against pricing out opportunities for all athletes. Think UAB's situation won't happen more often if this "law" gets passed????

indeed..

Dec 17, 2014, 10:48 AM

it will also open a big can of worms..you know the high profile guys will begin to complain about not getting t heir fair share

Notice they only want SC and Clemson to pay.

Dec 17, 2014, 10:49 AM [ in reply to This sentiment irks the stew out of me ]

It's not about the players. It's about creating another pot of money for pet projects and pandering to the low information voter.

Re: This sentiment irks the stew out of me

Dec 17, 2014, 10:52 AM [ in reply to This sentiment irks the stew out of me ]

I agree. Football is a cost to many schools that is paid for out of tuition for the student's and alumnus' entertainment. Many schools lose money on football. Start this crap and you will see many schools shut down sports.

Dec 17, 2014, 11:45 AM

That's exactly what will happen. There will be just a few more college FB teams as we have pro FB teams before it's done if states are allowed to govern at will in college sports. Allow them into sports in anyway, and they will continue to move in until they have taken it over.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2014, 1:39 PM [ in reply to Re: This sentiment irks the stew out of me ]

thats just what the libs/demos want!! they are all about hurting the successful be it individuals or schools.. got to take from the productive what they work for and give it to those that refuse to work!!osamaobama @ his finest

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is an absurd fallacy and it amazes me that the general

Dec 17, 2014, 1:58 PM [ in reply to This sentiment irks the stew out of me ]

response to this thinking isn't to oppose it.

Players get tons of things to play sports. Perhaps most overlooked is that a great many of them wouldn't even get a second look at these schools if they had to rely on academics.

Hey...did you hear the one about the D1 football program who couldn't get any high school kids to accept their offer of a full ride to play their sport?

No, of course you haven't. No one has.

null

Except...

Dec 17, 2014, 7:05 PM

The colleges are not hurting for players but every kid who ever left early for the draft says that sometimes that free ride doesn't look like the best deal.

How so? It was the platform that displayed their

Dec 20, 2021, 2:03 PM

skills and the environment that developed them to the point where the could earn millions playing a game.

null

have reporters just deteriorated this much over the past

Dec 17, 2014, 10:47 AM

few decades? The representative is not the "brain child" of the bill. I mean, how the he## does that make it past an editor?

Re: FB Update: State bill would make Clemson pay football, basketball players

Dec 17, 2014, 10:49 AM

Kimpson is grandstanding and his statement doesn't even make sense. He is concerned about Watson's ability to make it through 4 years of playing ball (must be a coot) so he proposes a fund. But he also says that to get the money, the player must finish school. How will he do that if he can't play? I know that Dabo has paid scholarships for kids that can't play, but then that is a form of compensation. Pay-to-play is one thing. Tying it to graduation sounds well-intended, but would take the money away from those he proposes to help (the injured). That is azz-backwards. I agree with another poster. Legislation has screwed up our lives enough. Stay out of college sports.

Who wins? NCAA or State Law?***

Dec 17, 2014, 7:09 AM

Or losing federal funding

Dec 17, 2014, 11:01 AM

because you're paying the football players but not he women's volleyball players. Title IX would almost certainly come into play with something like this.

Dec 17, 2014, 10:49 AM

I just figured out another place politicians don't belong: college football. Stick to giving yourselves raises and screwing the rest of us over. That's what you're good at.

Can I get my taxes back that pay for their education?

Dec 17, 2014, 10:56 AM

this will never pass.

Clemson Rugby is back on top.
Dailypaul.com

Leave it to a dumb@ss liberal to champion this idea

Dec 17, 2014, 11:00 AM

SMH

Would this help bkball recruiting??

Dec 17, 2014, 2:36 PM

Would think if it passed, and we go after high regarded recruits against the bigtime programs whose states don't have the law we would be able to win them over since they would get paid... legally. I am in if so...

I love how they like to stress the "welfare" of the players

Dec 17, 2014, 11:11 AM

when it is their own pockets they are trying to fill. You can be assured that this is an effort to generate more revenue for the state, since player payments will certainly be taxable.

Hate to admit iT BUT I'm coming around to setting uP a trust

Dec 17, 2014, 11:51 AM

fund..of say $5000 a year (up to $25,000 for 4 years) for each player....ONLY to be paid out IF they are injured & can't ever play again..in college OR pros. I know this isn't much money, but better than nothing.

Of course, this doesn't get into the thought that student-athletes need a stipend each month to buy small personal items (not cars or alcohol) so to allow them more freedom financially.

GoTiGs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hate to admit iT BUT I'm coming around to setting uP a trust

Dec 17, 2014, 12:08 PM

So what do you say we pay a female band member that was brutally beat and raped before/after a game. And she can no longer function in the band ever again. I mean she was a performer in the same arena. College sports should never become an insurance policy.

sounds like Saban & the "welfare" of the players in HNUH

Dec 15, 2017, 10:45 PM [ in reply to I love how they like to stress the "welfare" of the players ]

This guy knows he's full of crap & their (players) welfare is not his intention.
It's getting paid himself & putting the states hands further into some places it doesn't belong, in the name of state legislature/gov't control & money!

This is more talk like the unionization of college sports, etc...
IT'S AN EVIL PANDORA'S BOX THEY WANT TO OPEN! It will lead to the downward spiral of anything enjoyable in college sports and ruin it for everyone, along with opportunities to even play sports or trying to go pro for a career in sports.
just watch.....this needs to be stomped out before it spreads!

Scholarship athletes get more than anyone.
what's with all the entitlement thoughts rampant in society today???
If you work hard & play hard, including staying healthy, you may get paid well in your career or gain valuable lessons from being able to participate...just like everyone else.
being a student athlete is tough I'm certain, but no tougher than for any other self-supporting & working academically-engaged student.

I'm fine with giving student-athletes all the life necessities they need, because they have a lot of time devoted to their sports & training for their scholarships that could go to something else like working.
However, if they want more than what they get now (room & board, food, tv,net,entertainment, education, support structure, opportunity, etc...), then they should have to WORK for it just like any other student or person.
It's an important life lesson as well as correct & honorable....all things we seem to be missing & not teaching enough about these days.
Kids shouldn't be "given" anything without earning it. If schools should be forced to commit to the athletes, then the athletes should be forced to commit to the schools & meet the full agreement...but then again who'd vote for the welfare of the institution's sports programs or fan interest.
the only real interest or intent is getting more "free" money, not for students as much as they make it seem, but certainly for the lawmakers. Folks should be smart enough to see past this farce, after all the gov't has done to "help" the public with all their glorious legislation.

Dec 17, 2014, 11:45 AM

More than happy for us to pay student athletes but then we should eliminate the scholarship. Let them use the salary to pay for college. No one has made an attempt to point out the real financial value of a college education these student-athletes receive. The argument about a lost career is only relevant to about 5% of these students. Most of them will never play professionally. This state senator is a typical liberal that is happy to give other people's money away. Does he understand IPTAY pays for the scholarships. Does he understand football and B-ball revenue pays for all other non-revenue collegiate sports? Paying athletes would become a tax that would hurt the ability of a university to pay for other NCAA sports.

Dec 17, 2014, 11:49 AM

Idiot

$555,000 a year for FB, MBB, and WBB.

Dec 17, 2014, 11:54 AM

That's just for scholarship players, doesn't include walkons, who I assume would be paid as well. Sounds like a good plan.

Any idea how much our b-ball teams bring in?

I guess this guy missed the UAB Football video.

one way to end all this talk

Dec 17, 2014, 12:09 PM

Schools need to come out and say fine we pay the players, but here is a list of things that we provide currently that the player will now be responsible for paying:

1. Tuition
2. Room and board.
3. food
4. books
5. tutors
6. athletic service fee (similar to lab fees that would cover coaching services, weight room, training staff, facility maintenance, etc.)

I do not think the average person realizes just how much programs spend on a per athlete basis. Besides the scholarship aspect that everybody knows, these top notch facilities cost money, top coaches that are instrumental in developing players for the NFL cost money, maintaining the facilities costs money, educational facilities like Vickory costs money.

Take the West Endzone, not sure of the total cost but I assume its probably 25 million or more for all phases. We'll assume a 20 yr life before it becomes outdated and major renovations may be required (although improvements would more than likely be continuous). Taking 85 scholarship athletes per yr over 20 yrs is a benefit of $14,706 per yr and thats just the west endzone facility. Add in the indoor practice facility and your up to $20,000 per yr benefit per athlete just on the cost of building the facility not including maintenance.

Add in the education cost, tutor services, meals, room and board and the poster above saying $40K a yr is accurate.

Re: one way to end all this talk

Dec 17, 2014, 12:20 PM

Medical, athletes receive the best medical from Top doctors in sports medicine. Just take DW's ACL injury, it will better than it was before he came to Clemson. And that same injury could have happen simply from stepping in a hole anywhere.

But the facilities arms race isn't necessary

Dec 17, 2014, 5:16 PM [ in reply to one way to end all this talk ]

Football players don't need a $25M facility every 20 years as you imply. The reason there is a facilities arms race is because that is the only way universities are able to "pay" their players. If you can't offer a player cash for his work, then you have to offer him the best bedroom. If you start paying players, then maybe facilities would be just normal and then simply allow the players to spend on what they want.

Re: But the facilities arms race isn't necessary

Dec 17, 2014, 5:21 PM

This is just stupid, what about the snake state supported schools how are they gonna pay that, I mean just a stupid politician being stupid must be a coot grad

Please pass this. The lawsuits would be hilarious

Dec 17, 2014, 12:10 PM

First of all, how do you legally exempt other state supported school that also field mens and womens sports programs? The first player from Coastal, CofC, any of the USC system schools that didn't get a check would be all over the state with a Title IX suit.

How would you legally exempt other sports that also give out full scholarships. I'm sure we can find a Clemson women's soccer player to sue. And if she is hot it would make the coverage much more bearable to watch!

The trust fund idea is good, but doesn't even address what coaches say is the problem that athletes don't have folding money to go to a movie or pizza.

The percentage of these players who have their career at risk is minimal. Of these players, about 5% will have a legit chance to make a career out of sports. So a knee injury isn't going to stop the 2 year starter from a career in banking. A career that they got because they got a scholarship for playing a sport they love.

Maybe the Senator could go make himself look like a #### somewhere else.

Re: Please pass this. The lawsuits would be hilarious

Dec 17, 2014, 4:14 PM

That's been my point. and the lawsuits could go deeper.

How about a kid in some lab that develops something that makes the University millions? The potential for lawsuits is endless.

Marching bands, pep bands and cheerleaders....they want a piece of the pie too.

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Dec 17, 2014, 12:12 PM

Opinions are like a-holes, everybody has one. So here's mine like it or not. I didn't read the article, but the subject line is enough for me. Why just the football and basketball programs? I feel it should recognize ALL varsity sports. I'd be a lil pissed if I'm a member of the swim team and not getting something in return. I guarantee any girl on the woman's volleyball team can spell 10x better than CJ Spiller and some of these Tnetters that I've seen lately. CJ is the best football player I've ever watched, but his spelling is dirt poor regardless of the millions he is making.

Should it be $2500 per semester for everyone, can be debated. I'll let the AD figure that out. Should a player wait five years to get his $25k??? I think they should get it at the end of each academic semester. Don't some already get the Pell Grant at the beginning of each semesters?

If a player leaves the program then they won't get anymore future payments. Players should expect to be treated like every other employee that works for the state and pay taxes and prepare to face consequences for their actions. I'm sure the ncaa has a lot to say about this but why doesn't clemson build some high dollar Athletic dorms with Clemson Police downstairs?

Paying players IMO is not the solution, heck they make nothing right now and the ncaa has a hard time chasing that. Upgrade the living quarters for all athletes and I bet they will appreciate it. But eventually I feel players will get payments and the sec will be in the front of the pack with ACC playing catch-up.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

impeach Kimpson!!!!

Dec 17, 2014, 1:09 PM

Definitely a coot.

Talk about segregation....let's do it only for athletes of football & basketball! Lol
You'd think he'd see the hypocrisy of this whole approach.

What's funny, is idiots don't know they're stupid ;)

Re: impeach Kimpson!!!!

Dec 17, 2014, 1:59 PM

I wasn't looking at it from a black and white thing, just all varsity athletes. I want to help all clemson athletes not just the FB and BB programs. I'm not saying the swim team gets the same pay as the FB team, but it should be in the same ball park.

I definetly don't think the starting QB should get more pay than the starting OG. Those talks just get me on another soap box.

NCAA controls that

Dec 17, 2014, 1:38 PM

no matter what he wants

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Must be a USC-columbia fan and this is the only thing he

Dec 17, 2014, 1:45 PM

could think of that had any hope of saving their recruiting class.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If this bill does pass, wouldn't it be beneficial to recruiting ?

Dec 17, 2014, 1:50 PM

We tell them that under SC rules, we have to pay athletes 5000$ a yr as to 0$ at another school. I don't know if I necessarily agree with this because athletes on scholarship already receive a free education, weekly allowance, free clothes, free tutoring, food, ipads, presents for going to a bowl game, etc... I do thing they should receive an increase in the weekly allowance but I don't know if I agree they should get paid 5000$ a yr on top of all the stuff they already get for free. Just my opinion

Re: If this bill does pass, wouldn't it be beneficial to recruiting ?

Dec 17, 2014, 4:15 PM

Not really. Cause Alabama or schools with deeper pockets would have their legislature pass similar bills that pay more.

Dec 17, 2014, 1:55 PM

They should pay the marching band too. Those kids could get injured and lose their career.

Once they do this I can see the lawsuits for back pay too

Dumbest idea proposed this year at the state legislature

Dec 17, 2014, 2:53 PM

Mr. Kimpson is welcome to donate as much money as he wishes for the "welfare" of all of the student athletes, who to him, apparently do not receive enough benefits. This superficial level of thinking will sink college athletics in their entirety. Let's think beyond the first level for a change. This reminds me of what the definition of "worth it" is when speaking with my children...something is "worth it" when you are willing to pay for it yourself without anyone else's help. Go ahead Mr. Kimpson...we are waiting.

Re: Dumbest idea proposed this year at the state legislature

Dec 17, 2014, 4:36 PM

just another take from those that work anf give it to those that refuse to work

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2014, 3:16 PM

As a donor this is a tough situation. Happy to contribute because I believe that for their dedication a player should have a free education.

To pay them seems to marginalize the benefit of the scholarship and subordinate my donation of hard earned money every year...

Dec 17, 2014, 3:37 PM

Did this idiot talk to the former Northwestern football player. Sounds just as stupid in him trying to get the union in college sports. Sounds like he is trying to put the schools in a financial tail spin. That "so called senator" must be a complete idiot. Sounds like the people of South Carolina needs to run his dumba$$ out of office. If something like that passes and the NCAA goes along with it, then ticket prices will become ridiculous and programs will start to shut down. The NCAA has already won the union battle and I am sure they would win this.

If they genesis issue is the revenue these schools are

Dec 17, 2014, 3:35 PM

making why don't they suggest reducing the ticket cost, in-stadium concession cost, sales of merchandise, etc.? Kind of like lowering taxes instead of finding more ways to spend tax money.

And that's really a rhetorical question, I know they won't give up money.

Dec 17, 2014, 5:44 PM

I can't believe we continue to elect morons like this to our state senate ...

This wreaks of a no-name politician trying to get publicity.***

Dec 17, 2014, 6:38 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic