Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Paul Johnson on Clemson: "how can the expectation be to beat them?"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

FB Update: Paul Johnson on Clemson: "how can the expectation be to beat them?"

Oct 5, 2016, 8:28 AM

Paul Johnson on Clemson: "how can the expectation be to beat them?"

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Its called recruiting, genius.

Oct 5, 2016, 8:33 AM

And no one wants to play for your stupid offense, or defensively, practice against it.

Walt? Is that you that TD'd my post?***

Oct 5, 2016, 1:12 PM

Re: Its called recruiting, genius.

Oct 5, 2016, 1:16 PM [ in reply to Its called recruiting, genius. ]

He was right about having the facilities to recruit. I don't care for PJ or his offense, but If PJ had 4 and 5 star players in that offense, that would be a VERY hard team to beat. That offense with bigger, stronger, more talented players across the offensive line, with the way PJ knows that triple option like the back of his hand, and with big time talent, he could scheme that offense to be run several different ways. He may be slowed down, but he would never be stopped. That offense with PJ and loads of talent would be a freaking nightmare!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree to a point

Oct 5, 2016, 1:24 PM

They would be nearly impossible to stop with 4 & 5 star recruits, but its about a lot more than facilities. What receiver wants to play in an offense that wont showcase his skills for the next level? What D-linemen want to practice against those cut blocks week in and week out. What QB wants to play in a scheme where he will rarely throw the ball. What O-lineman wants to play in a scheme that wont reflect anything the League will have to offer.

Re: I agree to a point

Oct 5, 2016, 3:16 PM

I disagree with you and agree with PJ. If all you say is true, then why was GT so successful just recently winning conference championships? It wasn't until we, Clemson, and several other ACC schools started having a lot of success that GT's lack of facilities has really started hurting their recruiting, not their offense. All of you who complain about PJ's offense sound like Nick Saban complaining about the HUNH offense.
I like Dabo's attitude. He says the offense is really difficult to defend but doesn't complain about PJ running it. Also Dabo likes him, so he can't be all bad!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2016, 5:56 PM

They won one dude. Outside of that fluke season they are a 7-5 football program.

Oct 5, 2016, 7:53 PM [ in reply to I agree to a point ]

I understand every bit of that but, If he had some of those type elite players, they would be tough to stop!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Its called recruiting, genius.

Oct 5, 2016, 7:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Its called recruiting, genius. ]

That offense could be a pure nightmare, if (and it's a huge if) they could have the 4 and 5 star players including a QB who could pull up and pass the ball more. I believe that is how we ran it back in the day DF was running it, and I believe it was Rodney Williams who ran it so well. He also made the passing game a featured part of it. It was almost unstoppable, but without the ability and willingness to pass the ball out of it makes it one dimensional and players don't see it as a way to feature their skills to help them to the NFL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Man, the ATL sports talk is tearing into PJ this morning...***

Oct 5, 2016, 8:33 AM

Re: Man, the ATL sports talk is tearing into PJ this morning...***

Oct 5, 2016, 12:29 PM

The Big Ugly is gonna get fired if he isn't careful.

Re: FB Update: Paul Johnson on Clemson: "how can the expectation be to beat them?"

Oct 5, 2016, 8:40 AM

Our recruiting didn't start changing until the facilities did so he's right but for PJ he's also gotta realize that no one wants to play in that offense.

They aren't banging down the doors to play for his D either

Oct 5, 2016, 9:33 AM

at some point recruiting is about personality. PJ has never really had to recruit at any school. Hawaii and Navy just take what they can get.

Man, I could listen to that last part all day***

Oct 5, 2016, 8:40 AM

Re: Man, I could listen to that last part all day***

Oct 5, 2016, 8:56 AM

This! So much this!!! Sweeeet music

Re: FB Update: Paul Johnson on Clemson: "how can the expectation be to beat them?"

Oct 5, 2016, 8:49 AM

Beginning of the end. They need an exciting name at HC to get boosters and such to invest in facility upgrades to get better talent. They could probably get Les Miles.

^^^You took the words right out of my mouth^^^

Oct 5, 2016, 9:00 AM

I do not know if he would come though, he would have a tough "row to hoe" with the lack of talent their. And it would take a long time to build that program back. But he is a great recruiter and pitch man.

Good call Clint***

Oct 5, 2016, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Paul Johnson on Clemson: "how can the expectation be to beat them?" ]

Best Is The Standard

Oct 5, 2016, 10:09 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Paul Johnson on Clemson: "how can the expectation be to beat them?" ]

Art Briles maybe?

Oct 5, 2016, 8:51 AM

For once, Pawl speaks the truth! I'm sure the press in ATL will crucify him for this and it may start him down that slope towards unemployment. It sounds like he's tired of having one arm tied behind his back by the administration. Yes, it's easy to say that no one wants to run his offense or play defense against it, but what offense does every smaller school run in attempt to compensate for the lack of size? The option is the logical choice, so until GA Tech gives a little on their academic requirements, puts money into facilities, and supports the football team, then Pawl is right. You must have realistic expectations. Now, if you will excuse me, I'm going to shower, because I feel absolutely filthy for defending Pawl.

Oct 5, 2016, 8:52 AM

Brent Venables broke Paul Johnson's offense. Venables is to GT what Ronald Reagan was to the USSR.

Chicken or the Egg....

Oct 5, 2016, 8:56 AM

Paul is just trying to save his job right now....When Dabo first started coaching at Clemson we did not have the facilities either, we were starting to make those investments but nothing near what we have now. Dabo and the rest of Clemson (Athletic Dept., Board and Administration) came to a meeting of the minds so to speak to put together a vision. It was a risk. All of them put something on the line to build the programs facilities to what they are today and will be in the future. But the biggest component, and the most difficult to accomplish, was for Dabo and the coaches to put together WINS. Without the winning, people do not believe in the program, boosters do no support projects and neither do administrators. Paul Johnson maybe past this point in his career, but when I look a Georgia Tech, I see terrible inconsistency from year to year. I see a team who goes 10-2 one year and 3-9 the next, and has trouble with teams that have extra time to prepare for them, like in bowl games. I see a niche exotic offense that no player with any expectations of playing in the NFL would ever prefer to play in, and a defense that has to go against it every day in practice reducing their effectiveness against more traditional offenses they will see on game day. To me Georgia Tech will continue to struggle until 1)Paul Johnson leaves/fired 2)His replacement and administrators get on the same page and 3) everyone involved (including boosters) are willing to put skin in the game. I continue to believe that Paul Johnson's hire at GT was the worst hire for them and the ACC as a whole, and things wont change a GT until he is gone.

that's right Paul! How can you expect

Oct 5, 2016, 9:07 AM

To beat Clemson! It's not going to happen!

Paul Johnson just set himself up to be fired.

Oct 5, 2016, 9:14 AM

Many will look at his comments and figure that if he doesn't believe he can win, he has no chance of convincing the players that they can win and it will set up a negative "loser" attitude within the program - sort of like the Coot program has had to deal with for a hundred+ years.

If they accept his logic and decide that he's right and begin to revamp the program, he'll probably be the first change they make - but certainly not the last coach on the journey to relevance.

His fate is now sealed - unless he can overthrow the AD and get his job.

Are the fan bases really that different?

Oct 5, 2016, 9:30 AM

The undergraduate enrollment at Tech is around 15,000. The undergraduate enrollment at Clemson is around 17000 and that includes some remote programs.

Seems to me that Tech could do a better job of keeping those alumni engaged.

YES!!! Prodigiously different!

Oct 5, 2016, 10:59 AM

GT fans are generally not sports fans, at least in the sense you and I are sports fans. They love winning like everyone but don't focus much on their teams other than game day. They are mostly very snobby folks, very aloof, metrosexual types that don't spend much time in the sports arena.

Atlanta has 5.5MM people and GT can't fill up their 55K seat stadium most games. There is enough talent within 50 miles of GT to be a top ten team every year but they can't even recruit well in the metro area. UGA owns the state in football - GT is barely a blip on the football radar. Go to a Kroger and you will see 85%+ UGA stuff, 10% other SEC schools, a few % of non-SEC popular schools, and about 1-2% GT gear/stuff. That is GT football in a nutshell.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are the fan bases really that different?

Oct 5, 2016, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Are the fan bases really that different? ]

The biggest difference in the fan bases is that Clemson attracts a huge number of non-alumni fans but GT does not.

When we play in Atlanta, we take about 35-40%

Oct 6, 2016, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Are the fan bases really that different? ]

of their 55k stadium. When they come to Clemson, they take maybe 10% of our 82,000 seat stadium. There's no comparison.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 5, 2016, 9:34 AM

He won't be there at the end of the year.

WOW. oh man how great was that last part of the video?***

Oct 5, 2016, 9:38 AM

Best Is The Standard

This may be the 1st time I've liked what PJ said.***

Oct 5, 2016, 9:44 AM

GT needs all those things PJ said. There are plenty of

Oct 5, 2016, 10:47 AM

Athletes to run that offense. No you won't get the 5* QBs but there are many fast & athletic QBs in high school that end up playing WR and CB that would make great option QBs with some training. GT's biggest problem is and always has been is they are the red headed step child of the state. Their fan base is outnumbered probably 1000 to 1 conservatively. The only way to compete with that is find a way to get the money for facilities To get the players. Yes QB might be different but they are out there but the other positions are recruited the same other than maybe the chop block which is fading some.

NO FARMERS NO FOOD

He does have a point boys. I mean if you really truly look

Oct 5, 2016, 10:50 AM

at it, he's right. But you can't say that to the media, its behind closed doors with your superiors.

Best Is The Standard

Sounds kind of like the way Tommy West blasted Memphis,

Oct 5, 2016, 11:32 AM

but he did it AFTER he was fired. Pawl must already have been told something behind the scenes.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best is the standard.

Oct 5, 2016, 10:58 AM

When Dabo first got the job, he said he wanted other schools to covet what Clemson had and for us to be the best in everything.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but more importantly....how does Walt feel about this?***

Oct 5, 2016, 11:01 AM

he is absolutely right... and good coaches change with the

Oct 5, 2016, 11:05 AM

times.... my guess is Paul would have moved to a more dynamic offense that included some option if he was on a level playing field. He is not at GT -- he's had some success despite being severely handicapped-- kind of like Clemson before TB pushed for changes and trying to compete with FSU

Oct 5, 2016, 11:11 AM

I think old Pawwlll just fired himself. Hahahahahaha

I has the confused. I thought he said he could compete with

Oct 5, 2016, 11:19 AM

Clemson?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll translate: "What do you want me to do Ron!?"

Oct 5, 2016, 11:29 AM

nm

Sounds to me like Johnson knows he is gone

Oct 5, 2016, 11:53 AM

Unless he overthrows the AD or President and can blame everything on them. If the status quo remains at Georgia Tech they will not be able to recruit after these comments. All other schools (especially us) have to say is "look - even PJ knows we are a better place for you than GT is."

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sounds to me like Johnson knows he is gone

Oct 5, 2016, 2:32 PM

Who was the last recruit we lost to GT?

LOL***

Oct 5, 2016, 4:22 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah he's gone.

Oct 5, 2016, 5:53 PM [ in reply to Sounds to me like Johnson knows he is gone ]

If I told my football coach the other team are stronger, faster and better than we are and I don't think we can beat them, if I'm still standing, he may question my manhood and or ask me to check if I still have a male genitalia under my skirt. Why should this be any different for a coach talking to his administration?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't argue with PJ or D. Wolken

Oct 5, 2016, 1:37 PM

However, PJ is the right coach for GT. Tough Academic standards, small fan base, moderate financial support, etc, etc. The truth is, GT needs a coach who runs an offense like the triple option in order to stay competitive. In this day and age, they don't have the players/recruiting to line up man for man against a team like Clemson.

There is truth in what he is saying, but...

Oct 5, 2016, 1:56 PM

the quickest way to get fired is to start calling out the administration publicly. Although I don't completely agree with what he is saying. He could have everything Clemson has and still wouldn't be in the college playoffs with that system he is running. But they would certainly be better than they are.

Re: There is truth in what he is saying, but...

Oct 5, 2016, 2:27 PM

Anybody read the article on espn about right and the things she he automatically did to improve Miami such as donate 1 million to improvements to get the show was on the road. Maybe Paul should too...

Sounds awfully familiar to what Danny Ford said.....

Oct 5, 2016, 3:00 PM

Back in the 80's, Danny was calling for simple things like a players only dorm, an indoor practice facility, new weight room, etc... His argument was that if we wanted to beat teams like Georgia, FSU, Auburn, etc.. on a regular basis, and experience the success those teams had, then we needed to upgrade our program and facilities. Recruiting better players is the answer, but those players want to go to a first class program. Our administrations refusal to listen to Danny is what caused 15 years of mediocre football during the 90's and early 2000's.

Paul Johnson's biggest problem is the level of athlete that is willing to play at GT. His scheme actually makes them MORE successful than they would be otherwise. However, if he were to get better players, those players aren't going to play his style of offense. Not unless the NFL suddenly decides to go to the triple option anytime soon.

Oct 5, 2016, 3:13 PM

PJ is gone. Maybe Less Mild or Jumbo Fish can take over?!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

QBs with good arms and great WRs

Oct 5, 2016, 3:24 PM

Do not want to play in an option offense.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: QBs with good arms and great WRs

Oct 5, 2016, 6:06 PM

Just an FYI, Georgia Tech has three wide receivers in the NFL (Steven Hill, Demaryious Thomas & Calvin Johnson) which is one more than Alabama (Amari Cooper and Julio Jones)

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

still was a great one but calvin retired***

Oct 5, 2016, 6:15 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: QBs with good arms and great WRs

Oct 5, 2016, 8:23 PM [ in reply to Re: QBs with good arms and great WRs ]

C Johnson didn't play for PJ, Thomas was there when PJ took the job, so he didn't recruit him. Hill was a PJ recruit but he can't catch a freakin cold

Oct 5, 2016, 8:05 PM

Booom! Just a slap across the face with the facts jack. #FINISHIT

Maybe PJ should remind the people at GT he's the only coach

Oct 5, 2016, 10:10 PM

in the ACC to defeat Clemson in a game in which Deshaun Watson was the starting QB. Watson currently stands at 23-2 as a starter. Granted, Watson left that game against GT with an injury and with the lead before GT was able to take control and win, but he doesn't have to bring up that point.

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic