Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: New sod being installed for title game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

FB Update: New sod being installed for title game

Jan 3, 2017, 12:12 PM

New sod being installed for title game

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: New sod being installed for title game

Jan 3, 2017, 12:57 PM

Is there miracle sod now that takes root in a week?

Probably going to be a sloppy game by the half. At least the field will look nice for about 10 minutes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It will ###### the speed on the field.

Jan 3, 2017, 1:09 PM

I'd complain but it's the same field no matter what color you're wearing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2017, 1:18 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: New sod being installed for title game ]

Sod they use on these fields is not your typical 2 inch thick sod. More like 10-12 inches thick.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2017, 1:21 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: New sod being installed for title game ]

There is no miracle sod and it certainly won't root in a week. I have laid close to 1000+ acres of sod over the years and I am still amazed that they can lay sod a week before a game and the turf is playable. I do not know if the sod is cut much thicker for this application or not, but I don't think it is. It would make more sense if it were, but seeing the giant rolls over to the side makes me think that it is not. Hopefully the footing will be fine. I am guessing they will be using Hybrid Bermudagrass overseeded with Rye.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2017, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: New sod being installed for title game ]

according to a buddy in the biz the roots take hold in a day and a half and the field will be in great shape. heard they been growing this grass since april. they do this to every field that holds an important game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually not new sod....just sending it out to get it

Jan 3, 2017, 1:15 PM

mowed!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 3, 2017, 2:06 PM

Is that Les Miles in the picture sampling the product?

Jan 4, 2017, 12:52 PM

There are a number of companies that grow a special athletic field turf (usually Tifway 419 sod) on plastic. It can be grown to various thicknesses, usually 2-4" and the roots form a tightly woven mat where they meet the plastic. Pro teams replace their fields often during the season and the sod is heavy enough and thick enough to hold up under playing conditions immediately after installation. The field will not be a problem.

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic