Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: ESPN's Todd McShay projects Watson as a Day 2 pick
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 40
| visibility 1

FB Update: ESPN's Todd McShay projects Watson as a Day 2 pick

Dec 9, 2016, 9:12 AM

ESPN's Todd McShay projects Watson as a Day 2 pick

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: ESPN's Todd McShay projects Watson as a Day 2 pick

Dec 9, 2016, 9:14 AM

Absurd.

Dec 9, 2016, 9:45 AM

This!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2016, 9:49 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: ESPN's Todd McShay projects Watson as a Day 2 pick ]

These guys are idiots. Like a poster posted earlier. "At worst he goes to the Bills in the late first." Rex is not stupid. I

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2016, 11:42 PM

Nothing more irrelevant than the halftime score and likewise where you are 'projected' or picked. Bragging rifgts are nice, but all that matters is how he plays when he gets there. Going later hopefully means a better team. Real money for him is the 2nd contract anyway. Look at late rounders like von miller kirk cousins, richard sherman.... the list goes on.

Dec 10, 2016, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: ESPN's Todd McShay projects Watson as a Day 2 pick ]

I have said this time and time again I love DeShaun Watson but he's not ready for the big time yet he needs to stay in college and plan of the year for experience.... if he's not very very careful he's going to be another Tim Tebow.....

It will be interesting to watch Watson and Clemson win the

Dec 9, 2016, 9:24 AM

national championship based largely upon Deshaun Watson's "intermediate-to-deep accuracy."

That assessment is so September. The December version of Deshaun Watson is on fire throwing the football with accuracy down the field. Nobody does it better.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It will be interesting to watch Watson and Clemson win the

Dec 9, 2016, 9:29 AM

Todd who???

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2016, 2:44 PM

> Todd who???

Todd McGhay....can't u read?

Dec 9, 2016, 4:03 PM

McFake!

Dec 9, 2016, 1:19 PM [ in reply to It will be interesting to watch Watson and Clemson win the ]

If DW4 will be given the slightest amount of time to do what he does best when he has just the basic time to do his thing, he will beat any team in college FB. In games against really tough defenses, if DW4 wasn't as talented as he really is, we would have lost more games than we have. He is the best, and the most phenomenal QB ever at Clemson and college FB during his time as a college QB, and he is the true meaning of a Heisman college FB Player in my opinion!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what a idiot***

Dec 9, 2016, 9:29 AM

Dec 9, 2016, 9:30 AM

How has he not taken a step forward???

Is he really blaming DW4 for the Pitt gm lost?

Dec 9, 2016, 9:32 AM

Didn't he throw it 70 times for almost 600 yds and the team scored 42pts? Wasn't that last INT more on Leggett than Watson for running the wrong route, which allowed the defender to be in perfect position to make the pick?

With as many teams that need a QB, there is 0 chance he doesn't go in the 1st round

Whether that was on Leggett or not...

Dec 9, 2016, 11:35 AM

he probably shouldn't have thrown that ball. I'm not saying that loss was totally his fault, but that interception was a back-breaker. I think what people may not be getting by just looking at his stats is that it seems like most of Watson's picks have come because he's throwing the ball based on a read he's made. A lot of times, he's throwing it before the receiver is looking for the ball because he's anticipating them being in a certain place. I know just about every big time college QB does that, but it seems like we rely on Watson to do that more often than others because he's so smart and good at reading defenses. But that can be more risky than just throwing to guys who are already open, because of course a QB can make the wrong read, but also a defense can bait a QB into certain throws, or a receiver can screw up the route.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Whether that was on Leggett or not...

Dec 9, 2016, 11:41 AM

LOL it wasn't the 42 points we scored that lost us the game. It was the 43 our defense gave up, not to mention the ONE yard Clemson didn't pick up on 3rd and 4th down at the end of the game. Course, once again, Todd who???

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What the defense did is almost entirely irrelevant when

Dec 9, 2016, 11:43 AM

evaluating a QB.

Yep, that was nice of Leggett to take the blame for DW4

Dec 9, 2016, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Whether that was on Leggett or not... ]

but I've rewatched that play numerous times and the throw absolutely was not there even if Leggett had broke his route off at the goal line. They had a LB on Leggett playing right underneath him and taking away any throw. They had 1 guy following Renfrow right behind Leggett who Renfrow had a step on, but they also had that dropped back and was essentially playing zone in that area of the EZ. He's the one that ultimately made the pick.

Sorry, LB actually made the pick.***

Dec 9, 2016, 11:55 AM

Dec 9, 2016, 9:42 AM

A leap forward, a leap forward ?
DW will finish this season with over 4K passing and over 40 TD passes.
I would like to know what you consider a successful season?
Dude you are blessed to have such a good job being so dang stupid.

Dec 9, 2016, 9:46 AM

Having smarts is not a requirement in his job, apparently.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2016, 2:35 PM

That has long been proven that smarts isn't a requirement!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2016, 3:22 PM

So it seems!

He's a top 10 pick guaranteed.. come March McShay will move him up

Dec 9, 2016, 9:57 AM

Not that it matters what he thinks.

null

Dec 9, 2016, 10:06 AM

Did he think last year was a strong QB class? Teams would love DW4 over Goff or Wentz I believe

Dec 9, 2016, 10:40 AM

After the combines he'll be a top 10 pick

We get it McShay, you don't like Watson

Dec 9, 2016, 11:26 AM

I don't see how people can say he's regressed this year. Yes, he's thrown too many interceptions, but he's also had more responsibility as a thrower this year. And yeah, he threw 3 interceptions in the Pitt game, a couple of which were pretty costly, but he had a huge game other than that. People seem to ignore that he also completed 75% of his passes and accounted for nearly 600 yards of offense in that game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Half of his INT's have been tipped or receivers fault***

Dec 9, 2016, 11:36 AM

2017_nascar_champ.gif2018_nascar_champ.gif2019_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tipped ball INTs are on the QB. INTs that go off the hands

Dec 9, 2016, 11:41 AM

of the WRs are sometimes the QBs fault as well. Not always, but inaccurate passes that are thrown high or behind receivers are much more likely to go off the WRs hands and deflect dangerously into the air.

I'm not saying all of Watson's INTs have been 100% on him, but most of them have been his fault. I can think of at least one where the WR ran the wrong route and that's definitely not on Watson. I think there was one more where Cain made a horrible attempt (basically no attempt) to go up for a ball and i wouldn't blame Watson for that one either.

Re: We get it McShay, you don't like Watson

Dec 9, 2016, 4:18 PM [ in reply to We get it McShay, you don't like Watson ]

Unfortunately, perception and not facts, seems to count. Joe Namath threw over 20 interceptions in a season 5 times (when the NFL schedule was only 14 games). Yet, most think of him as one of the all-time greats. The flash factor weighs heavily in the minds of the media. They are too busy yapping to spend enough time to fully digest the stats, which by the way are fed to them by some off camera geeks. The tv folks were thrilled by Lamar's early season play (which was outstanding), but don't seem to be equally impressed by DW4's late season numbers, also terrific. There is some truth to Trump's claim that the media lies- intentionally or otherwise. They just can't look at things objectively anymore. The biases are too ingrained.

I don't know how much it matters, but Watson's INTs

Dec 9, 2016, 11:37 AM

typically aren't a product of accuracy. They are usually a result of a misread or a forced throw. I think his intermediate accuracy is excellent. Occasionally he will let one of those 10-15 yard throws go high and hot which has led to some mishandles by the WRs and a couple of picks (Ray Ray against Louisville, Leggett against USC), but he's typically very accurate at that distance.

He's definitely struggled with the deep ball this year, but he's looked much, much better in that regard recently. Some posters here have attributed that to him bulking up over the summer, but it's hard to say whether that's really the case. I don't recall the coaches commenting on it. Either way, he's looked much more comfortable throwing those balls recently.

My biggest concerns about Deshaun if i were drafting him would be his decision making at times and the number of passes he gets deflected or batted down at the line. He's a smart kid though so i think his ability to read defenses could certainly improve with good teachers.

Whoever gets him is getting a steal. I just hope he lands..

Dec 9, 2016, 11:38 AM

in a great situation. If that happens he will be an AllPro year after year for a bit.

Why is this even posted under "Clemson Updates"?

Dec 9, 2016, 11:47 AM

Tigernet needs to start a section called "ESPN Idiot Updates".

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

McShay had Geno Smith as #1 QB in 2013. Take from that what you will***

Dec 9, 2016, 12:13 PM

That was a horrifically bad QB class though.

Dec 9, 2016, 12:34 PM

EJ Manuel was the only QB selected in the 1st round and he went #16 to the Bills. Geno was the 2nd QB taken and that wasn't until the 39th overall pick. Mike Glennon was a mid 3rd rounder and everyone else was 4th round or later.

I don't think a single QB from that class has really done anything.

Re: McShay had Geno Smith as #1 QB in 2013. Take from that what you will***

Dec 9, 2016, 1:57 PM [ in reply to McShay had Geno Smith as #1 QB in 2013. Take from that what you will*** ]

I know that most of us including me said that when CJ left Clemson that it would be a long time before we seen another player at Clemson like a CJ Spiller. But bc of Dabo's dedication to his job and to Clemson, we have seen players come after CJ that has been as good and as valuable to our team as CJ was. I will never say none better, but just as good, and just as valuable to our team and program. DW4 is one of those players after CJ that has been most Valuable to our Clemson FB program. CJ, Ford, Allen,Tajh Boyd, and coach Swinney was the beginning of all the great things that has come to Clemson, and I believe that Dabo will bring more just as valuable as any to Clemson. DW4 will be one of the hardest one to replace, but we already have an unsigned QB with the confidence that believes he will be that QB, but if he never for fills that type of greatness, Dabo will I believe, will bring another one to Clemson. It just a matter of time and he will bring in the best QB we have ever seen at Clemson, and the Todd McShit's will try and degrade them also. That is just the way it is with the know it all's that really don't know nothing beyond their personal opinions!!!

Dec 9, 2016, 1:08 PM

I actually can't see why DW4's true value as a QB can't be seen by some like a Todd McShay. DW4 has taken not the best OL two years straight and won 26 of 28 game with two conference championship wins!!! One of the loses were a 5 point loss in the NCG, and the other loss was a 1 point loss with the most controversial calls by the refs in that one point loss. For me, this is a bias comment at it's highest degree by Todd McShit, and others that feel the same as him!!! I will bet right now that NFL coaches will see right through the biases toward DW4, and DW4 will be drafted early, like top ten in the NFL draft!!!

Dec 9, 2016, 1:26 PM

And yet they are all in Love with Mitch Trubiesky. Don't get me wrong, the kid isn't bad, but how did he do against Jawga? Or VT? Or several other losses? He would definitely benefit from an additional year. Mike Leach when asked about if Luke Falk (who I like a lot) should come back, he basically told the reporter that is a stupid question. Any QB benefits from another year of learning, and Trubiesky isn't nearly as good imo as Falk. Look at both Mannings, Luck, Brady, etc. All guys who played their senior years. That's why I am glad if Watson goes and has a great career and gets paid, but that extra year is often crucial in development.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2016, 2:33 PM

I don't agree, and I don't see why kids don't take that risk of getting that extra experience, especially with a QB like DW4 being on a team like Clemson that I believe has a real QB coach. It could mean more money with a rookie contract as the top QB in the drafted. Even if they/He lands on a very bad team, at-least he will be paid well as the top QB. He could leave when his contact ends if he don't see his team trying to become a top 5 NFL team !!! Plus DW4 could take out the largest insurance policy offered to college players just in case. He could get stronger and better with another year at Clemson. And With just his rookie contract if he is drafted as the top QB in the draft, he and mom would have enough money for a forever good life if invested smart.

Dec 9, 2016, 6:09 PM

Todd Mcshay get a glimpse of this
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=K67ydX7SYqA

Dec 10, 2016, 8:25 AM

I tend to agree slighty with Todd,but not in the fact that DeShaun isn't a first round pick,but besides Cleveland,and maybe Buffalo( mentioned in one of the replies)
there's just not that many needs for Quarterbacks in the first round this season.
And do we honestly want to see DeShaun go to Cleveland.He would definitely need to run there
in order to save his neck.

Replies: 40
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic