Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: ESPN ranks Russell Athletic Bowl #17th best bowl
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

FB Update: ESPN ranks Russell Athletic Bowl #17th best bowl

Dec 8, 2014, 5:14 PM

ESPN ranks Russell Athletic Bowl #17th best bowl

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: ESPN ranks Russell Athletic Bowl #17th best bowl

Dec 8, 2014, 5:18 PM

Well, that is what I expected from eSECpn. Seems they can never get enough Jabs at Clemson, there is always one more.....pretty sad we are playing in the 17th ranked bowl, terrible!

Dec 9, 2014, 10:37 AM

I kind of took the opposite away from this preview. It's easy to play the part of the undervalued victim in college football, but the truth is that until you do something worth writing about you're just another face in the crowd. If you read between the lines, I think you'll find the writer respects our program but recognizes that our draw is greatly diminished by having our star quarterback on the sidelines, rightly so. It's kind of hard for me to get very excited about our bowl game knowing that we will probably not be anywhere close to 100%. If Watson were to play, our bowl would easily be ranked as a top-10 matchup.
We as fans should feel pretty good about our postseason. We're willing to say that a minor bowl game against OKLAHOMA doesn't have much bearing for our long-term goals. How many of us would be salivating at a chance to knock off OU 5-10 years ago, even an 8-4 OU? Now...meh. Our sights are set a good bit higher. Anybody who really follows our program (and they are out there) realizes this fact and concedes that this bowl can't really hurt or help us very much. It's just an opportunity to match our brand with another marquee program. Count your blessings, Tiger fans. We could be pounding our chests because we get a chance to beat the mighty Canes. That being said, I hope our coaches still get our team ready to play and win. It would be nice to see Stoudt go out a winner.

That was a jab at Oklahoma, not us.

Dec 9, 2014, 11:13 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: ESPN ranks Russell Athletic Bowl #17th best bowl ]

"After a disappointing 8-4 season, the Sooners can probably lock up a top-five preseason ranking in 2015 if they defeat the Tigers. That's how it works, right?"

Some of you are crazy with your anti-ESPN stuff.

Dec 8, 2014, 5:18 PM

Seriously? It feels like they put the Scar-UM game 1 spot ahead just to spite us. I would think playing a traditional power like OU would generate far more interest, especially against the #1 rated D in the country.

Dec 8, 2014, 5:21 PM

So do they. I will never buy anything espn. And I will not buy any products advertised on espn

Dec 8, 2014, 5:25 PM

It's gotten to the point where I take anything their 'experts' say with a grain of salt and generally ignore it. Ole Miss and and Miss St were gonna take 2 playoff spots? Yeah, ooook ESPN.

Misspelled "grade of slaw"***

Dec 8, 2014, 6:14 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, two 6-6 teams is definitely a better game

Dec 8, 2014, 6:08 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: ESPN ranks Russell Athletic Bowl #17th best bowl ]

Gotta roll my eyes at that. Clemson/ OU is a great match-up, and could be a really good game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, two 6-6 teams is definitely a better game

Dec 8, 2014, 9:52 PM

Any game we are in is a great game. Never forget, we are Tigers. We could be chickens, but we are not. We deserve a lot more respect than we are getting, but ESecPN has a lot of undeserved power. Pretty shameful, really. They know it, but they never will admit it. Can you imagine trying to explain away usuc? I didn't think so. So glad to be from Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there is little upside to beating an UN ranked Oklahoma***

Dec 9, 2014, 3:05 AM [ in reply to Yeah, two 6-6 teams is definitely a better game ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

OU sucks... No upside beating them, big downside if we lose***

Dec 9, 2014, 3:07 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: ESPN ranks Russell Athletic Bowl #17th best bowl ]

Only play 13 games, plenty of upside on winning.***

Dec 9, 2014, 5:55 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Dec 8, 2014, 5:23 PM

He says everything in the first sentence. It will be a good game if DW4 plays. If not, well...

Dec 8, 2014, 5:26 PM

What a freaking joke. Both SCAR and UM are 6-6 but that's a better bowl? LOL. eSECpn just throwing all reality out the window and just decides to be a full blown SEC homer.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

12th, 15th, 17th, 20th, who the fluck cares?***

Dec 8, 2014, 5:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2014, 5:29 PM

H3ll I can name 5 other bowls below them that are better. What a joke

I don't want DW to play, but without him, snooresville

Dec 8, 2014, 5:38 PM

I wouldn't rank this game highly at all without DW, either. It's not an incredibly flashy matchup this year, but with Stoudt in at QB it could get ugly. If we can't squeak out the win, I don't see us getting blown out, but I forsee both teams punting a bunch.

Re: I don't want DW to play, but without him, snooresville

Dec 8, 2014, 6:03 PM

That's when that #1 D takes control. Cole just needs to hand the ball to Gallman and Scott!!

Re: I don't want DW to play, but without him, snooresville

Dec 9, 2014, 5:03 AM [ in reply to I don't want DW to play, but without him, snooresville ]

When you have two teams playing, with both QBs passing the ball to the same team, it can and will get very ugly, very quick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 8, 2014, 6:47 PM

Who in the ACC gives a #### about how SECPN ranks games?

Schlabach is a huge joke....as are these rankings....

Dec 8, 2014, 6:50 PM

he needs to go back to Tallahassee and do some more undercover work on the Jameis case

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

this site ranks it 4th best

Dec 8, 2014, 6:54 PM

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/12/8/7352423/bowl-rankings-2014-2015-college-football-playoff

and Shreveport 5th from the bottom.

Dec 8, 2014, 7:31 PM

To h#ll with ESPN....CBSSports ranks it 7th best and if i recall correctly the SOSuck Commander Bowl 17th....i hate ESPN

Let's just view this Bowl as an opportunity to get some more

Dec 8, 2014, 9:27 PM

practice time in. DW should not play, he needs to heal up, get well for next year. Seasons effectively over now, Watch Basketball !

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's just view this Bowl as an opportunity to get some more

Dec 9, 2014, 5:16 AM

I agree with getting in the extra practice, then forfeit to keep both our injured QBs from further injury. ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DECLINE THE BOWL!

Dec 9, 2014, 3:03 AM

Make a statement that we don't play in a bowl just because it is one of the millions of bowl games. If it offers no compelling upside, why bother? Save the time and $ for all involved.

Re: DECLINE THE BOWL!

Dec 9, 2014, 10:38 AM

We get more practice time and a chance to promote our brand. Why would you decline those opportunities? That's cutting off your nose just to spite your face.

Dec 9, 2014, 10:47 AM

A few reasons.

1) we are not going to play DW for this weak, meaningless bowl. That means the chance for an embarrassing loss to a mediocre OU team that will taint our new O coordinators in recruit's eyes.

2) if we win, we were supposed to and it is not going to do anything to boost prestige. OU is not a good team.

3) declining would send a message to the team that we will not settle for mediocrity nor take being dissed lightly

4) it will generate more attention on just how stupid these second tier bowls are in the first place and hopefully start the process of killing some of them!

Dec 9, 2014, 10:52 AM

SO CALLED FANS LIKE YOU ARE WHAT TAINTS OUR PROGRAM. THE END.

Dec 9, 2014, 10:59 AM

I just pointed out the logical truth. If the administration and coaches don't stand up to this nonsense, it will happen over and over again. If the powers that be don't see Clemson worthy of a better opponent, why waste our time and $?

Dec 9, 2014, 11:03 AM

Prideful, kneejerk overreactions are the opposite of logic. When you use q-tips, stop when you hit resistance.

Ziggy - q-tip suggestion was funny***

Dec 9, 2014, 12:59 PM

Pollyanna fans like yourself enable

Dec 9, 2014, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Re: DECLINE THE BOWL! ]

as well as tolerate mediocrity and our team getting shafted by the ACC and now this playoff committee with little or no recourse.

Against my better judgment... here's why:

Dec 9, 2014, 11:22 AM [ in reply to Re: DECLINE THE BOWL! ]

1: Even if DW isn't playing, TyDye is ...so is Gallman. So are a bunch (like 100 percent of our scoring at WR). So are a handful of seniors who can leave one more solid impression on NFL scouts with a win. Think Corey Crawford, Robert Smith, et al. don't want one more chance to nudge up their draft stock?

2. If we win, and we WILL win, it's a feather in our cap. I don't care what you think about Oklahoma ... it's Oklahoma. Think we should have bagged the Gator Bowl game against Nebraska because the Huskers weren't a top 10 team that year? The notion that you shouldn't go to a bowl if you're supposed to win baffles me. We wouldn't have gone to Boise is such was the case, and that still ranks as one of the best bowl trips in the past generation. OU is OU ... certainly not the feared behemoth of the past, but then, neither are we this year. You don't think the Sooners wouldn't relish a win over Clemson? You sell your school (and I'm assuming this IS your school) short.

3. Declining makes no sense, from a team or school standpoint. Turning down a reward for players, an opportunity for more practice by the kids, a week in the recruit-rich land of central Florida, a chance to reach double-digit wins again in an actual family destination for post-Christmas vacation for fans to face a team that any reasonable fan base would relish beating ... your butt-hurt whining sort of loses importance in the face of what this game could mean for the program.

4. I certainly won't argue that there are too many bowls, but a post-Christmas bowl in central Florida is not one that deserves to die.

In short, I repudiate every one of your points ... though I appreciate your laying them out in an intelligent fashion.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And as always, thank you Rev for expressing my point of view

Dec 9, 2014, 12:33 PM

I'll be there December 29th.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see your point too RevDodd

Dec 9, 2014, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Against my better judgment... here's why: ]

Two things I agree with you on is the extra practice for next year and the extra exhibition for our seniors to show the NFL.

I was not meaning to imply that we should only go to a bowl if we can assure a win. I was saying that winning this one will gain us little additional respect from the rest of those in the talking head world - but a loss will be more hurtful in recruit's eyes because it would be a loss to a perceived inferior opponent.

Then you combine all this with the shanaigans that went down in the ranking shuffles with zero games played for each of those teams and we get the shaft and it galls me that we just have to grin and bear it!

Either way, I will pull for our Tigers and fret the whole time. But know that if we lose, I will make sure to say "I told you so".

If we win, we will be an afterthought.

Re: I see your point too RevDodd

Dec 9, 2014, 3:44 PM

I respectfully disagree that this game means nothing to recruiting. If we go in there, especially with Cole at QB, and win the game convincingly, with a good offensive game plan, it would do a lot to validate us going forward. It would show that there is life after the Chad, that Dabo had a plan that can work, etc. If all the pundits say we are bound to lose without DeShaun, and we pull off the win, it just makes us look that much better. Even if we lose (and with a month to prepare, I thing we have a great shot at winning) according to the Experts, for once we just did what was expected. Plus, almost always you get to see some "fun" plays in bowls like this that were not shown in the regular season. All good reasons to watch.

Re: I see your point too RevDodd

Dec 9, 2014, 5:10 PM

I can agree to that too. I just fear that Cole will not get it done and it will reflect poorly on the whole recruiting picture. If we win, I will be relieved and you have a point.

You are smoking Shrooms or something?

Dec 9, 2014, 11:08 AM [ in reply to DECLINE THE BOWL! ]

All bowls are great for teams because of the practice it allows them for the following year. Plus we can end with 10 wins which means Clemson will have 42 wins over 4 seasons.

Lots of upsides that you are too clueless to grasp. put that pipe down.

Re: You are smoking Shrooms or something?

Dec 9, 2014, 1:33 PM

> All bowls are great for teams because of the practice
> it allows them for the following year. Plus we can
> end with 10 wins which means Clemson will have 42
> wins over 4 seasons.
>
> Lots of upsides that you are too clueless to grasp.
> put that pipe down.

Per the talking heads at ESPN:

The bowl slate has been dramatically improved, with eight games against Power-5 teams. Which bowl do they absolutely have to win?

MF: Aside from the obvious ones, the playoffs and the Capital One Orange Bowl? Clemson cannot afford to lose a four-loss Oklahoma team. Louisville beating Georgia would be very big, too, as it would make the ACC 2-1 against the Bulldogs this season. Here's one that might indirectly help, too: Notre Dame beating LSU in the Franklin American Mortgage Music City Bowl. The five-loss Irish had a disappointing season and yet almost knocked off FSU. And though that almost label can be applied to several teams this year, a pseudo-ACC team beating a brand-name SEC team on national TV will be good for perception moving forward. Especially next year, when the Irish play six ACC teams.

play nick!!!!!!!!!

Dec 9, 2014, 7:17 AM

We can have hope that nick could come in and play the best game a backup ever has or we can know it's going to be a massacre. That is our options.Cole needs to be benched. Look at other people on the team that was a QB. Anything!! This is a physical team and they can move the ball. I think our defense can stop anyone, except the other teams defense . Stout will take our defense out of the equation. There has got to be another option. This is not a throw away game. One win over the coots doesn't mean you have a mulligan.

So 32 teams are playing in a better bowl?***

Dec 9, 2014, 7:30 AM

Dec 9, 2014, 7:45 AM

Most of you sound like a bunch of spoiled brats. The guy spoke the truth. The game will be hard to watch when our offense has the ball. If you aren't a Tiger or a Sooner, there won't be much interest in this game. Great defense wins games but can be boring if you aren't pulling for that team.

I would not play DW in this one. It doesn't make sense. That being the case, 17th seems fair.

would you please name the 16 bowl games that are better than

Dec 9, 2014, 8:04 AM

the clemson-oklahoma match-up . true, we all wanted the most prestigious bowl we were projected to have had a chance to play in, but oklahoma is a national name with a historically top-5 program. yes,they dropped out of the top-25 after their loss to their in-state rival ok.state, but will be right back in if our team goes in with the same attitude that a good percentage of our fans have about facing oklahoma in this bowl. this will still be a quality win in my book and in a few years when our fans look at our bowl wins and see oklahoma's name pop up for the '14-'15 campaign, i am pretty sure a sense of pride will wash over them.

Re: would you please name the 16 bowl games that are better than

Dec 9, 2014, 9:41 AM

Everyone knows OU has been down for a while now. They nor Nebraska are nowhere near the programs they used to be.

This is Straight from the ESPN blog:

When is the last time the Sooners looked like one of the best teams in college football? Or the Big 12 for that matter? OU needs to get healthy, first and foremost, then play well in the bowl game to finish its 2014 season strong. Otherwise it will enter the offseason with plenty of questions and not many answers.

uh, some of the talking heads had them pre-season #1 this

Dec 9, 2014, 10:13 AM

year. if that is down, you know they have done something good. it is funny you say that that about espn because espn college football live had oklahoma #5 pre-season, and they did beat alabama in their bowl game last year. their losses this year: @tcu,k-state,baylor,and their in-state rival ok state, sans the rivalry game,those aren't very bad losses.

Best line of ESPN article ......

Dec 9, 2014, 12:20 PM

In comments about SCAR game, "Can't spell Shreveport without S-T-E-V-E"

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic