Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 72
| visibility 1

FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team

Mar 21, 2016, 6:52 PM

Clemson DB dismissed from the team

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No problem with this at all .

Mar 21, 2016, 6:55 PM

None .
Dabo Swinney doesn't play .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Re: No problem with this at all .

Mar 21, 2016, 7:34 PM

I am sad to hear it turned out this way but trust in CDS's decision. I will pray that he finds the right path to making better choices.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agree 100%..rules are rules..next man up

Mar 21, 2016, 10:26 PM [ in reply to No problem with this at all . ]

has nothing to do with anything except dabo's program of developing young men requires these young star athletes stay sufficiently hungry and humble to know that real life has rules and consequences..and it doesn't matter who you are or how many stars are beside your name..and guess what?.future fine young men and their families are swarming to this program that actually cares enough to apply consequences equally.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team

Mar 21, 2016, 6:56 PM

When you have a digital scale and CII narcotics, it goes beyond a regular suspension. Hopefully he can get his life straightened out but this was an opportunity for Dabo to send a message to the rest of the team and he did just that.

Mar 21, 2016, 6:56 PM

Absolutely right .
+1

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Mar 21, 2016, 7:00 PM

How come the kicker doesn't get kicked off the team las season for nose candy, but this guy does? Doesn't make sense...

null

Mar 21, 2016, 7:02 PM

Not even close. Second offense, on top of that, it looks like he was not just using it himself as evidenced by the scales. Also, this isn't usuc. There are not 8 or 9 chances, a la Garcia.

Message was edited by: Dugatiger®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2016, 7:03 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

The difference apparently was that Chalmers was involved in sales and distribution, whereas Lakip had some personal use stuff .
Both are former players now , so what's your beef ?

DB23

Mar 21, 2016, 7:15 PM

I'd say actually using the drugs effects your performance and the team more than selling them, no?

Mar 21, 2016, 7:24 PM

Probably, yes but it isn't nearly the character failing that dealing is. One of the best things about Dabo is that he molds good, upstanding men and there are very few things that undercut that more than drug dealing.

Mar 21, 2016, 10:13 PM

Dealing also increases the chances that he was trying to get other members of the team to use drugs. Sure Lapik possibly asked others if they wanted some but a dealer would be actively searching and pressuring.

Kids an idiot given the golden opportunity he had. It's more understandable for a bench warmer #9 on the depth chart WR to get bored and distracted by drugs, girls, games, etc but every DB on the team has a chance to start this year and make a name and career for himself......

Mar 21, 2016, 7:59 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

There isn't a question of what they are doing with them. The problem is that they are possessing them. And that is enough!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 22, 2016, 7:07 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

Peformance is the issue? Really?!..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

you know what doesn't make sense? you being on here, coot. This isn't

Mar 21, 2016, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

"six strikes and you're out when i know the backup can play" Coot U.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

He apparently was deep in the doghouse

Mar 21, 2016, 7:05 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

CDS probably didn't need much motivation to dismiss him.

Re: He apparently was deep in the doghouse

Mar 21, 2016, 7:09 PM

So Mark Fields is the #1 opposite Tank now ?

DB23

He always was to begin with.***

Mar 21, 2016, 7:12 PM

No problem with this at all. Next man up***

Mar 21, 2016, 7:15 PM

Mar 21, 2016, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

> How come the kicker doesn't get kicked off the team
> las season for nose candy, but this guy does? Doesn't
> make sense...

Scales. Possession of digital scales is evidence of distribution or intent to distribute. He's selling it. Kicker only caught using, big difference from dealing.

The folly of youth, I hate to see any young man throw away his long term life with stupid short term decisions.

Mar 22, 2016, 1:45 AM

I'm a police officer. Just because he has scales does not mean he's dealing drugs.. the amount of drugs is typically all that matters. Generally all the users I come across have scales to make sure they aren't getting shorted by their dealer... If this were the charge it would be possession with intent to distribute not simple possession. That being said I'm glad dabo runs this program with a two strike rule.. everyone makes mistakes or a stupid decision especially at that age but you can't trust people who don't learn from their mistakes

It's always so good to hear from disguised chickens

Mar 21, 2016, 7:48 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

Too embarrassed to acknowledge usuck

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2016, 7:55 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

Something tells me that you didn't read the part about issues before. Personally I don't understand why someone would have a problem with Dabo kicking them off the team with a first offense, bc every player knows the rules and risk their future anyway. But Dabo will let them stay most of the time depending on their attitude. Bottom line though is, they know the rules before they break them.

Mar 21, 2016, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

You are a complete idiot if you don't understand this decision. As a former player, it pi$$e$ me off that this guy goes home for spring break--1 stinking week-- and he can't behave to the standards demanded by the coaches. Each situation is different because of the current & prior circumstances. I trust the coaches to make ALL of the necessary decisions concerning our football team. Your comment is, in my opinion, completely & totally out of place!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"He embarrassed the team"

Mar 21, 2016, 6:59 PM

and this wasn't the first 'offense'... this was the last straw apparently

Re: "He embarrassed the team"

Mar 21, 2016, 9:56 PM

Right, because we all know that no Clemson player has ever sampled the Devil's lettuce

Mar 21, 2016, 7:00 PM

Hammer Down! Great job Dabo!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I trust Dabo to handle team disciplinary issues without ....

Mar 21, 2016, 7:23 PM

counsel from members of TigerNet, other fans or the media.

One thing learned over the years, there is almost always more information than what is reportedl by media, rumors or social media.

Coach Swinny's disciplinary methods always provide meaningful consequances - either an opportunity for
rehabilitation or supprtive parting of ways. When second chances are provided, most players constructively use it.

Hard Head

Mar 21, 2016, 7:36 PM

Makes a Soft A$$.....

Dabo don't play ....I Like It.

2016 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Mar 21, 2016, 7:42 PM

That crack will sure put an end to a career.

This is probably a win across the board.

Mar 21, 2016, 8:02 PM

Hopefully Chalmers can turn his life around before he crosses the line past the point of no return.

Dabo proves again to the team that you can't be recklessly stupid and expect to hang around. We also pick up an extra scholarship to land another stud in a class with a lot of them and one where we don't have many scholarships to offer right now.

Re: This is probably a win across the board.

Mar 21, 2016, 9:40 PM

Yep, and that is something else that they don't seem to understand, and that is if they screw up, there are other that are just as good or better wanting them to screw up so they can fill their slot. And that is the way it is and happens when a team is an Elite team. Do right or take a hike!!!

Mar 21, 2016, 8:04 PM

I'm all for making points as a coach but there must be some form of consistency instilled with regards to punishment.

Sammy Watkins got caught with the same drugs, nearly identical situations (both in cars, both in possession of marijuana / controlled substance(s), etc.) - he was suspended for THREE games.

Punishment deserved? Absolutely. But why is the punishment so disproportionate between Sammy Watkins and this young man? Things like this are going to happen with college athletes unfortunately. But the punishment needs to be consistent... And in this case, it's anything but that.

Mar 21, 2016, 8:08 PM

Sorry, TWO games:

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/8232108/clemson-tigers-sammy-watkins-suspended-two-games-start-season

he was suspended for three games

Mar 21, 2016, 8:22 PM

it was his first run-in with Dabo while Chalmers had multiple issues including getting busted with digital scales

Mar 21, 2016, 8:15 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

I wonder what the "other issues" were that Dabo said he had in the Chalmers article. The one with Sammy said it was his first offence.

Maybe that is the difference?

Mar 21, 2016, 8:18 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

Did Sammy have a scale, a Xanax, and prior issues?

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

Mar 21, 2016, 8:49 PM

A scale? No. BUT he wasn't just sitting in a vehicle in a parking lot either. Sammy crashed his car on campus, with witnesses, was smoking weed in the car when the cop came to the window, had weed, vyvanze AND adderall in his pockets (same as Xanax - controlled substances without prescriptions), and an inproper tag on the vehicle.

Chalmers got released on $1000 recognizance bond; Sammy's was $1620. Both were 18. Both were in cars. Both occurrences were first documented "issues" with either. So, like others, I'd like to know what had occurred prior to this that resulted in Dabo's decision to cut him indefinitely.

Mar 21, 2016, 9:04 PM

If hitting a curb is getting your car crashed then I crash my car every week. Having a scale, a Xanax, and 5 Vyvances definitely point to something more. Of course you wouldn't here of any other issues with Chalmers he spent a year red shirting so anything worthy of a suspension wouldn't have made headlines.

Mar 21, 2016, 9:14 PM

Lol. You curb your car every weekend? Are you a woman? Too funny.

But yes, in the eyes of the law, especially when witnesses, scraping your car against a curb on campus while you're hot-boxing a blunt with your soccer friend on campus in the car, while driving is pretty much the same as crashing your car - yes. Sammy didn't have a scale, you're right. But he had an inproper tag that wasn't illuminated, he was high when he got pulled over, he also had vyvanze and adderall in his pockets and had weed on his person. I'm just saying the punishment is incredibly disproportionate considering what we know. That's all. 2 games suspended vs kicked off the team is huge. And keep in mind, the same 2012 season, Sammy was suspended the first half against wake forest for not showing up to team meetings. So for his first offense, which was almost identical to Chalmers plus an accident and inproper tag and smoking in the car - he was suspended two games. Then later that season, after second team violation, he got suspended one half of one game. I don't think it's insane to wonder what the heck else Chalmers has been reprimanded for in the past that resulted in such a strong decision by Dabo.

Mar 21, 2016, 9:27 PM

Wrong again, Sammy didn't get the start against Wake in 2012 because he a long with other players showed up late, didn't skip like you said. He still came in on the first series.

skip to about 9 minutes in the videos on the field with 13:51 left in the first quarter. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFLMD6kCKiM skip to about

Mar 21, 2016, 9:34 PM

Proves my point even further. Late to team meeting by 3 minutes, sat first series or two. Hardly the iron fist of a lesson 4 months after getting arrested for possession, curbing your car & inproper tag (on campus no less).

Bottom line - the punishments aren't equivalent. You can put all the weight you want to on the presence of the scale and the 3 additional vyvanze pills in Chalmers pocket - it's still disproportionate.

Mar 22, 2016, 8:43 AM

CUYANK:
If Dabo said he had other issues with Chalmers then he did.
He doesn't need to illuminate them to you to explain his position
or show his even handedness with regards to punishments. Obviously,
there is more to this than you or I are ever going to know. You need
to quit acting like Dabo was on a witch hunt against Chalmers. He is
the team's leader and has to make critical decisions everyday that none of
us are privy to. Every drug user is not a bad kid, but some are disruptive
to the team. Maybe Dabo knows more about handling young athletes and running
a team than you.....just maybe

Mar 22, 2016, 11:41 AM

And you don't need to hit the "enter" key after every 4 words you type. :)

Mar 22, 2016, 11:47 AM

LoL.

DB23

Mar 21, 2016, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

You know, since the Pittsburg Steelers incidenrt, Dabo might be rethinking drugs. One and done. I am sure he hopes all players behave, but dang guys, drugs at the present time are illegal. You have a great opportunity to be special if you play for Clemson. Dabo is protecting Clemson and our brand....his program. If you blessed enough to play for Clemson and make it to the pros, you are drug free! At least you should be. He might have learned by others Caught with drugs that they are hard to give up. Repeat offenders to ruin the brand. The line is now drawn... Do drugs, you don't play for Clemson.

His tag wasn't illuminated?! Get him the f out!***

Mar 22, 2016, 2:30 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

Mar 21, 2016, 9:43 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

Negative!!!

Mar 21, 2016, 9:42 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

Did he have prior issues, no Sammy didn't, nor was he caught again!!!

Mar 22, 2016, 9:26 AM

Most kids mess up to some degree at some time in their lives. That is growing up. The important part is that most learn from their lessons and do not repeat. When I have caused trouble and got caught, I got punished. I knew that another time would be much, much worse, and that is the way Dabo deals with things, too. He can't afford to play around with criminal activity from players. I'm glad the kid is gone, but I do hope he has learned his lesson this time. If not, he is headed down a bad road.

Are you serious? the 2 situations are no where near the same.

Mar 22, 2016, 12:51 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Clemson DB dismissed from the team ]

First of all Sammy had no prior issues before this, kaleb chalmers did. Secondly Sammy got busted with a tiny amount of pot and either 1 or 2 adderall. Thirdly, the reason Sammy went down was because it happened in his car and the individual pulled the "that isn't mine, I don't know how that got there" so both of them went down. It happens all the time. If that wasn't enough, the scale found in the backseat was the nail in the coffin. Ammon Lakip was also a first time offender and the bullshite police report helped his case. However as soon as he made the same mistake he was gone without question. To further discredit your statement, KC was caught with 6 schedule 2 narcotics whereas Sammy was found with 1 or 2 adderalls. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see which one is far worse than the other.

Re: Are you serious? the 2 situations are no where near the same.

Mar 22, 2016, 2:08 AM

Adderall is a schedule II drug just like vyvanse.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

nope...the Soccer player was already getting arrested when

Mar 22, 2016, 2:32 AM [ in reply to Are you serious? the 2 situations are no where near the same. ]

Sammy stepped forward and essentially turned himself in, he also had two different kinds of un-prescribed ADD meds...they were both caught with 2 different Class IIs and 6 is hardly far worse than 3...the situations are fairly similar, Sammy didn't have scales or a prior, that's the only real difference

http://www.wistv.com/story/18661365/video-of-sammy-watkins-arrest-released

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: nope...the Soccer player was already getting arrested when

Mar 22, 2016, 12:02 PM

Whoever you are, thank you for explaining to Mr. Hillbilly that his anecdote was also riddled with extensions to the truth.

No one ever makes mention either that the Clemson police department never gave Sammy or his passenger a soberiety / drug test that evening in May 2012, even after hitting the curb with his car. If it were you or I, we would have been tested on-sight for DUI minimally and then tested for marijuana at the station after the police officer "smelled it in the car". Sammy's disciplinary actions would have been much different had he been tested appropriately and failed for both amphetamines (from the adderall / vyvanze) and marijuana! Further, the team guidelines say that a student-athlete will be tested if he/she has given cause to believe that he/she is using illicit drugs (i.e. getting arrested with drugs on your person). Weirdly, the team never tested Sammy Watkins after this incident. If Watkins tested positive for marijuana or Adderall his punishment would be determined by the number of drug testing violations he may or may not have already had.

My entire reason for posting in this thread was about the disparity that exists between how some athletes are reprimanded vs. others. Even with Deon Cain... Google Clemson's team guidelines regarding drug tests. The first offense requires the student-athlete to: have a call with the coach / director of performance / parents; complete 15-30 hours community service; attend mandatory drug counseling; be subjected to frequent / random re-testing. It says nothing about not being able to practice, etc., etc. Since it was never publicly announced whether the the test was team or NCAA-administered, and it was assumed it was the team, then why did the punishment not follow the team guidelines? And why is someone called a coot for wanting to know why?

There isn't much difference between having 5 schedule 2 controlled substance pills in your pocket or 2, at least in the law's eyes. The real difference here was the scale in the car, trust me. The minute you include a scale in the situation, they slam you with "intent to distribute", even if you only have $10 worth of weed in your pocket.

The bottom line - there has to be equal punishment given based on the infraction, especially when a precedent exists.

Re: Are you serious? the 2 situations are no where near the same.

Mar 22, 2016, 8:56 AM [ in reply to Are you serious? the 2 situations are no where near the same. ]

Pay no attention to a bunch of coots who want everybody to move standards down to their level. Dabo knew the situations and dealt with them accordingly. It never can be said that Dabo doesn't do the right thing when it comes to discipline. Coots could learn a lot from how we handle issues, but they won't. They are just coots, nothing more, and it shows up all the time in their comments.

As Dabo said, before they broke for spring break.....

Mar 21, 2016, 8:25 PM

There are consequences for your actions.....

Not surprised at all by this........

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2016, 9:02 PM

Can you say Louisville?

Mar 21, 2016, 9:03 PM

Can you say Louisville?

Mar 21, 2016, 9:04 PM

Seriously hope he gets straightened out but if he has talent someone like Louisville will take him in. Maybe LSU

Mar 21, 2016, 10:05 PM

Indeed - at those other schools some of the players wear their hair in dreadlocks and... oh, wait, umm

I messed up when I was his age but I did change

Mar 21, 2016, 9:10 PM

When I got caught the first time and it wasn't by an officer but worse my parent. I changed because I knew I had to.

I'm in the ministry so I love grace and mercy and I so wanted this kid to be like Sammy and myself. I know Dabo is fair and I trust that he makes great decisions.

I'm so thankful Dabo is our coach. I'm still hoping this kid makes a huge change and very soon and is very successful.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Mar 21, 2016, 9:27 PM

I support the decision. And I'm getting tired of all these folks who can't discipline themselves... for themselves and the greater good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 21, 2016, 10:02 PM

Right, because no Clemson player has ever sampled the Devil's lettuce

Mar 21, 2016, 9:41 PM

Thank you CDS! I applaud you for this. Anyone who gets caught with weed AND A SCALE knows exactly what they're doing.

as I said in a post when his arrest was announced..

Mar 21, 2016, 10:16 PM

if coaches had been able to look at his juvenile records, he would not have offered a scholi.

He was well known in the Gwd area for selling to hs kids.

Mar 21, 2016, 11:34 PM

Wow, this has to be his 3rd/4th offense, right? Because Lakip and Watkins both got 2nd chances.

I'm having a hard time understanding why...

Mar 22, 2016, 12:00 AM

So many are having a hard time understanding CDS doing this. Not trying to be a jerk, but let me break it down Barney Style. If you get caught holding by police in today's legal system, even after multiple offenses, your looking at fines usually, courts and prison too bogged down for simple possession. However, if you get caught with serious weight or paraphernalia for distribution, that is a whole different story.

Me personally, if they kicked every one off for first offense, it wouldn't bother me. But that's just me and many will differ there. I just know I busted my butt for years back in the day hoping Danny Ford would call me, didn't happen, oh well. These guys have the honor to out on our beloved Uniforms and make the most of it, and throw it away. I put on another uniform for 20+ years and never did drugs, so sorry, no sympathy here. Now, that said, for the defenders of the herb, begin your flaming, I R a big boy and can take it :)

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm having a hard time understanding why...

Mar 22, 2016, 7:24 AM

+1 ^^^^ I'm in JarHead's camp on this one, but we are few in this day and age.

Putting on the ORANGE uni separates them from the rest of us. If you cannot adhere to the rules for 3-4 years before you make your millions, then do NOT put it on in the first place. JMO.

I don't have a big issue with weed but...

Mar 22, 2016, 9:55 AM [ in reply to I'm having a hard time understanding why... ]

I don't think weed is a big deal and know from personal experience that alcohol is a bigger "gateway" drug. That being said, I still completely agree with you. It is an honor and privilege to wear those orange uniforms and they should abide by the rules of the team and the law of the land. I would give you more than one thumbs up if I could.

More importantly, thank you for your service to my country. It's because of people like you, we have the right to sit behind our keyboards and say what we are thinking. Even if it is sometimes stupid (me included). Again, I say thank you.

Click here to read Gabi's Story

Never learned his lesson...why?***

Mar 22, 2016, 9:54 AM

Dayumit!!!!

Mar 22, 2016, 9:16 PM

What dumbaß m'er f'er!?!?!?!?!?!

NO CHAMPIONSHIP FOR YOU!!!!!
Bye....

Having scales with him surely made an obvious impression

Mar 22, 2016, 9:19 PM

Dealing....

Re: Having scales with him surely made an obvious impression

Mar 22, 2016, 9:21 PM

had to be!!Dabo had no choice!! he had to go!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 72
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic