Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Watkins On Combine
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

FB Update: Watkins On Combine

Feb 17, 2014, 3:58 AM

Calls body "messed up". Credits Ellington with improved route running.

http://www.thestate.com/2014/02/16/3272187/clemsons-sammy-watkins-says-hell.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Watkins On Combine

Feb 17, 2014, 4:00 AM

Link won't work because the devil's home is a bad word.

Re: Re: FB Update: Watkins On Combine

Feb 17, 2014, 4:55 AM

A link without the word h-e-l-l in it

http://bit.ly/1lZidaZ

40% more doesn't equal 10 times better. Are we that bad at WR development

Feb 17, 2014, 8:10 AM

that he feels so much untapped potential?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

It's draftspeak... No player is ever going to come out sayin

Feb 17, 2014, 9:39 AM

"I'm at the top of my game, I don't think I can improve."

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

He doesn't have to go to class now, so he has more time….

Feb 17, 2014, 10:48 AM [ in reply to 40% more doesn't equal 10 times better. Are we that bad at WR development ]

to work out. So yes he can untap more potential because all his time and focus is on football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2014, 10:09 AM

While I'm sure he is learning some new things we don't teach, I'm sure he isn't "10 times faster". But, even if he is a little bit faster, he will be the most impressive WR in this draft, and he will be highly rewarded for his skills and his dedication and for his stellar on the field contributions.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 17, 2014, 10:38 AM

I know people are going to TD me like crazy for bringing this up, but it really makes me nervous about our S&C program that Sammy is saying "“In two weeks, I can tell I am 10 times more flexible. I am working on muscles we didn’t work on (in college), different stretches, different workouts.”

The flexibility thing was brought up by Richard Sherman regarding Byron Maxwell too...it really seems like we're leaving a lot on the table by using the program we've got. We've obviously had good success the past 3 years, but it's discomforting to know people are seeing immediate improvement as soon as they leave our S&C program.

Feb 17, 2014, 10:46 AM

and I know this has been debated ad nauseam, but one thing that's undeniable is that Batson's program loads on the muscle...the way things are heading in college football (faster, lighter, HUNH), this method seems outdated.

False. Our players are leaner and more muscular….

Feb 17, 2014, 10:51 AM

maybe you should go pull for Fat Boy Football at Alabama, with your buddy Nick Saban.

Re: False. Our players are leaner and more muscular….

Feb 17, 2014, 11:04 AM

Ummmm, can you read? I was saying if anything we pack on too much muscle, especially given the style of our offense. This would be pushing for the total opposite of "fat boy football".

Ummm, we don't pack on too much muscle...

Feb 17, 2014, 11:07 AM

you must have missed the part where Tajh went from 245 to 225 between his sophomore and junior year. That's not packing on too much muscle, that's taking off any unnecessary weight.

Re: Ummm, we don't pack on too much muscle...

Feb 17, 2014, 11:10 AM

True, but Tajh was legitimately fat towards the end of his Sophomore year.

Even if we don't pack on too much muscle, it seems troubling that our players are having these flexibility problems in comparison to other programs. This is the second time we've heard about this in the past couple of weeks.

Reaching for straws now. Go take that S&C conspiracy...

Feb 17, 2014, 11:21 AM

stuff to STS. Provide actual evidence that Clemson's player flexibility is behind other programs. You can't. If we had such a problem with flexibility it sure didn't show when our Dline and LB's were punishing the very fast Braxton Miller.

Re: Reaching for straws now. Go take that S&C conspiracy...

Feb 17, 2014, 12:23 PM

So you're telling me you have no problem with players commenting about differences in flexibility as soon as they leave Clemson's S&C program?

I'm not saying we need to get rid of Batson, but it seems like this is something the S&C guys should be looking into and perhaps researching so they can add it to our program.

Again you're just making stuff up….

Feb 17, 2014, 5:04 PM

Just hangout at STS, dude. I'm not going to buy into your S&C conspiracy stuff. People like you, keep on being wrong year after year. You're out of your element.

Re: Again you're just making stuff up….

Feb 18, 2014, 10:19 AM

Making stuff up with direct quotes...

Feb 18, 2014, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Reaching for straws now. Go take that S&C conspiracy... ]

Do you like anything about Clemson?

Why did you choose this place if everything is so bad

Feb 18, 2014, 10:50 AM

Is that a serious question?

Maybe we should review what NIL scouts have said

Feb 18, 2014, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Reaching for straws now. Go take that S&C conspiracy... ]

for years.

Tajh got fat plain and simple.***

Feb 18, 2014, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Ummm, we don't pack on too much muscle... ]

Re: Tajh got fat plain and simple.***

Feb 18, 2014, 12:02 PM

Yea it wasn't exactly a "let's cut some muscle off this guy so he'll be quicker", it was "ok, so we're looking at Jared Lorenzen Jr running the spread offense...get him on the treadmill."

Those two weeks were nothing but working out…..

Feb 17, 2014, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Watkins On Combine ]

two weeks at Clemson he was having to go to class on top of working out. Get a clue dude.

Re: Those two weeks were nothing but working out…..

Feb 17, 2014, 11:05 AM

From what he said, I understood it as having nothing to do with the amount of working out that was done, but the methods used.

Just drop the S&C conspiracy stuff...

Feb 17, 2014, 11:10 AM

He said nothing critical of Clemson's S&C program. And if you have more time to work out, you can learn more methods. Also, big difference between having a personal trainer vs a trainer for a group of 100 football players. If you had a clue, you would know this. In college athletics, athletes don't get a personal trainer. When they get ready for the draft, they do have personal trainer.

Re: Just drop the S&C conspiracy stuff...

Feb 17, 2014, 12:27 PM

So you're telling me the coaching staff and S&C staff give as much attention to how Sammy's working out as they do to the walk-on players? I'd be willing to bet guys like Sammy, Tajh, etc. got their fair share of "personal training".

No need to try to throw out personal barbs, btw.

Oh, but he's good at the personal barbs

Feb 17, 2014, 5:32 PM

why else would he use them in every discussion on TNet?

Re: Just drop the S&C conspiracy stuff...

Feb 17, 2014, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Just drop the S&C conspiracy stuff... ]

Is it necessary to be the most obnoxious person ever? Jesus.

It's a shame that 2 weeks is better than 3 years

Feb 18, 2014, 11:31 AM [ in reply to Those two weeks were nothing but working out….. ]

In Batson's S&C program.

He didn't credit Ellington with improved route running...

Feb 17, 2014, 10:46 AM

the state made that up. Only quote you see in there about route running and Ellington from Sammy is where he states him and Ellington have an advantage on route running over other WR's. the state made things up about Sammy's last Clemson press conference. the state tried to make it look like Sammy was only thinking about the NFL the whole season, when he had repeatedly stated throughout the season and before the Orange Bowl, that he wasn't thinking about it until the season was over.

You're wrong

Feb 17, 2014, 2:51 PM

Here is the quote from the article

Watkins credited Ellington with helping him refine his route running.

Re: You're wrong

Feb 17, 2014, 3:05 PM

Your reading comprehension isn't too great is it? He's aware of what the article said. There is no quote from Sammy saying that he owes his improved route running to Bruce Ellington.

Feb 17, 2014, 3:32 PM

*facepalm*
Does everything have to be in quotation marks?
What do you want, a transcript of the conversation in a newspaper or a journalistic recap with editorial and commentary?
If the author said it happened, it probably did.
Do you also not believe he's working out with Vic, Bruce and Kelcy because it doesn't say "I'm working out with Vic, Bruce and Kelcy" ???

Feb 17, 2014, 4:57 PM

Yes, if you are going to use someone's words to make a point, you generally quote them on it. There is a huge difference between "He helped me with my route running," and "I don’t think a lot of guys are on mine and his level on route running..."

"If the author said it happened, it probably did"
^
This statement right here tells me everything I need to know about you. Get out of here, coot

Re: Re: You're wrong

Feb 17, 2014, 9:24 PM

I'm not an Oregon fan.

Feb 18, 2014, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Re: You're wrong ]

your handle tells me everything I need to know about you.
you get that name in prison?

Feb 18, 2014, 1:06 PM

^^Finds out he is wrong, resorts to making fun of someone's handle.

the state made stuff up about Sammy's last press conference

Feb 17, 2014, 5:07 PM [ in reply to Re: You're wrong ]

at Clemson. I watched all of Sammy's last presser at Clemson, and what the state reported was never brought up by Sammy.

Feb 17, 2014, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Re: You're wrong ]

It's better than yours...here is what the post said that I was referring to

He didn't credit Ellington with improved route running...

the state made that up. Only quote you see in there about route running and Ellington from Sammy is where he states him and Ellington have an advantage on route running over other WR's.

A. He DID credit him with helping him
B. The state did not make that up because they attributed that statement to him
C. If someone says that I said something and didn't say, Mortimer said and I quote...and only said, Mortimer said...., then they are attributing something to me and said that I said it.

He did not credit him at all...

Feb 17, 2014, 5:09 PM

you are a complete moron. the state provided no quote where Sammy stated that Ellington helped him with his routes.

Re: He did not credit him at all...

Feb 18, 2014, 10:29 AM

You just can't read.

That's not a quote, that's something the state wrote...

Feb 17, 2014, 5:05 PM [ in reply to You're wrong ]

without quotation marks. Imbecile, learn grammar.

IMO

Feb 17, 2014, 11:56 AM

Most personal trainers sell a different sort of snake oil. "oh you haven't been training muscle X? Having a stronger muscle X will help you reach your full potential and is the secret of some of the worlds most successful athletes. Sign up now for my eight week program." It is good Sammy is in a good place of mind but the reason he is a top 5 pick is the physical transformation he made in the CU S&C program on top of the talent he was born with.

There is a difference between working out during…..

Feb 17, 2014, 12:04 PM

college and working out for the draft. In college you're going to have a trainer that is responsible for the whole team. When your preparing for the draft, you have a personal trainer. So while working out for the draft a player gets more personal attention than they did in college.

Sometimes it is improved methods, sometimes it's just a stronger commitment on part of the player to work out harder. But you have a great point about personal trainers, they are trying to make a name for themselves. So they are going to repeat their methods as gospel to the players they are training, so they will recommend them to other athletes they know.

Interesting quote

Feb 17, 2014, 3:20 PM

“Coming here, I am thinking, ‘I might get faster, I might not,’?” Watkins said. “In two weeks, I can tell I am 10 times more flexible. I am working on muscles we didn’t work on (in college), different stretches, different workouts.”

Read more here: http://www.thestate.com/2014/02/16/3272187/clemsons-sammy-watkins-says-hell.html#storylink=cpy

I can see where most of you are coming from though

Feb 17, 2014, 3:48 PM

If only Sammy had stretched more he could have been great. Maybe even the greatest WR ever at CU. It is a shame.

Wait. No.

Tony Pauline calls CU S&C "undraftable"

Feb 17, 2014, 5:10 PM

nm

Glad Sammy and Bruce can be friendly and learn from each other

Feb 17, 2014, 9:50 PM

Both are incredible athletes

Replies: 47
| visibility 1