Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Expectations for Clemson men's basketball ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Expectations for Clemson men's basketball ...

Mar 2, 2020, 12:58 PM

what are yours?

What are realistic expectations for Clemson men's basketball?    [Results]

We can never be good in basketball. Our history defines us and can't be overcome.
We can make the NCAA tournament two or three times a decade. Anything more is overacheiving.
NCAA Tournament at least half of the time is realistic.
2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Expectations for Clemson men's basketball ...

Mar 2, 2020, 1:05 PM

.    [Results]

should be eliminated to allow more funding for Football.
badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spoken like the average Clemson fan.

Mar 2, 2020, 4:22 PM

Sadly, your humorous post is not far from the truth.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Ahhhhhhh - Karen the Dramatic. Nice.

Mar 2, 2020, 7:41 PM

Yeah - LJC was filled with apathy and disregard on Sat.

Give it a rest for a bit ? We understand where you stand on it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Mar 2, 2020, 9:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Expectations for Clemson men's basketball ... ]

You such a tool. I wish the mods would kick your ### to the curb Balm

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 2, 2020, 9:39 PM

I disagree. That’s why he’s still here.

armsb said:

You such a tool. I wish the mods would kick your ### to the curb Balm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 2, 2020, 1:09 PM

HERE IS AN IDEA. COACH IS GOING NOWHERE AFTER THIS YEAR. WHY NOT GET BEHIND "THIS" TEAM. IT HAS BEEN THROUGH A LOT OF INJURIES PLUS NOT GETTING ONE OF THE GUYS ELIGIBLE. THEY PLAY THEIR ### OFF EVERY NIGHT. THEY ARE BY FAR NOT OUR MOST TALENTED TEAM BUT THEY WILL LEAVE EVERYTHING ON THE COURT. IT REALLY GETS TIRED READING ALL THE DRIVEL THE MOT PUTS ON THIS AND OTHER BOARDS. THIS TEAM IS CAPABLE OF WINNING THE NEXT 2 OR LOSING THE NEXT 2 BUT IT WILL NOT BE BECAUSE OF EFFORT OR COACHING. SOME OF YOU GOOBERS NEED TO FILL UP THAT HALF EMPTY GLASS.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GOOD LAWD - QUIT YELLING, YA GOOBER!***

Mar 2, 2020, 1:22 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

"yeah, but in Year 10..."***

Mar 2, 2020, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Expectations for Clemson men's basketball ... ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "yeah, but in Year 10..."***

Mar 3, 2020, 7:30 AM

well here is how i look at it. he is not getting fired this year so i will support the team to the end. next year with pretty much everyone back plus hall, prosper and honor, there are no excuses. win or go home. it aint really rocket surgery.

Re: "yeah, but in Year 10..."***

Mar 3, 2020, 1:48 PM

I never knew rockets went through surgery? Learnin' something everyday.

Mar 3, 2020, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Expectations for Clemson men's basketball ... ]

What's wrong with your keyboard?

Mar 2, 2020, 1:10 PM

I'd say C but what would our AD and adminstration say would be the big answer?

Mar 2, 2020, 1:12 PM

GOOBERS GALORE. VERY SAD.

Sad, just as I expected. So many pathetically low

Mar 2, 2020, 1:24 PM

expectations.

- H. L. Mencken

Mar 2, 2020, 1:11 PM

I don't like any of those choices. I believe we should make the tournament 4 out of 10 minimum, be a bubble/solid NIT team 4 out of 10, and I am ok with rebuilding 2 out of 10, but rebuilding should always include being near 0.500.

Mar 2, 2020, 2:15 PM

This seems about right, for realistic expectations.

Be a Final Four team almost every year...that's unrealistic expectations for probably 300+ teams in the NCAA not named Duke.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 2, 2020, 9:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Expectations for Clemson men's basketball ... ]

CUAG98 you seem to have reasonable and yet respectable goals for this team. How did you end up on the same board with some of these other folks?

Mar 3, 2020, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Expectations for Clemson men's basketball ... ]

Let me try to put it another way. I don't think it is realistic to expect us in the top 20 very often, but I think we should be able to field a top 50 team most years- and that would put us in the tourney plenty.

I expect any and all Clemson teams to play each

Mar 2, 2020, 3:04 PM

game as if it is a championship game..........the same expectations our football coach has for his teams.

Win or lose...........it's about the effort from the team and the staff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We should expect to make the NCAAs every year.

Mar 2, 2020, 4:20 PM

NIT should be a rare occurrence due to extenuating circumstance (significant injuries, occasional rebuilding year, etc.).

With that said, I don't think it's fair to expect this unless our facilities, basketball expenditures, and fan support are among the top third to top fourth of the ACC.

Otherwise, we have champagne taste on a beer budget and are just fooling ourselves.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

How much of the responsibiity for our failure to do that

Mar 2, 2020, 5:49 PM

falls on our head coach? And again, those things did not prevent OP from getting it done. We literally crashed and burned in comparison under Brownell.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: How much of the responsibiity for our failure to do that

Mar 3, 2020, 10:31 AM

falls on our head coach? And again, those things did not prevent OP from getting it done. We literally crashed and burned in comparison under Brownell.

How did OP get it done? He cobbled a team who could win against lesser regular season opponents but did not scratch against good teams and did not win a single game in the dance. He also saw winning this way was not sustainable so he got out when he could. CBB is building a team which can have success against good teams but it’s not easy or quick. It started with a decent facility which has already paid dividends

Listen to yourself. You are downplaying what OP did,

Mar 3, 2020, 11:01 AM

yet Brownell has only equaled what he did for three straight years TWICE IN TEN YEARS. How long does Brownell get? 20 years? Forever? Would any other school that gives two ##### about basketball give a coach 15 years to build a program? H-E-L-L no. Why do we have so many people who are willing to accept that nonsense? If our expectations are that pathetically low, I guarantee they will be met.

- H. L. Mencken

It seems that your criteria for success is making the

Mar 3, 2020, 11:12 AM

NCAA Tournament.

That's like saying that the goal for a football team is to "make a bowl" or "play for a conference championship."

I understand that making the NCAA Tournament is a benchmark, but Purnell keeps getting credit here for making the NCAA Tournament three years in a row despite never winning a game. This was despite being a much higher seed than our opponent two of those three years. That tells us one of two things:

-We didn't belong in the NCAA Tournament those years after all (i.e., we were overrated)
-Our coach had a poor game plan/preparation strategy

Either way, it's a huge failure on Purnell's part.

You can't praise him for making 3 NCAAs in a row, and bash Brownell for "only making two, and one with OP's players," yet not give Brownell credit for actually winning in the NCAA Tournament when he gets there.

If we're going to put an asterisk next to Brad's first NCAA Tournament team because it was with OP's players (which is stupid, BTW), then he should get credit for actually winning an NCAA Tournament game with those same players OP couldn't win a game with (despite being a freaking 5 seed!).

We must also give Brad credit for making a Sweet 16, something we've only done a few other times in our history. Purnell didn't come close.

I don't understand why anyone thinks that OP accomplished so much more than Brad, simply because he made 3 NCAA Tournaments, but is unwilling to look at our performance once we were there and factor that into the equation. Purnell's NCAA Tournament failures are a big deal.

Re: It seems that your criteria for success is making the

Mar 3, 2020, 1:24 PM

JHC - making the NCAA tournament is the criteria because it is the prerequisite for any further level of success. Brownell deserves credit for winning games in 2018 and deserves considerably more scorn for not making it last year. You can't win it if you aren't in it. And yes, the goal should be to eventually evolve into a team with at least the remote belief that they might actually win the whole thing. That isn't happening when you only go twice a decade. Purnell got us where we were there every year - opening that possibility. A better coach would have furthered that tradition by continuing to go regularly but advancing further. And keep in mind that the win in Brownell's first season was a play-in win that didn't exist for previous coaches.

Didn't bother reading...

Mar 2, 2020, 4:26 PM

b/c basketball related.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

At least you're honest.

Mar 2, 2020, 4:27 PM

Many people here say something negative, despite not reading!

Mar 2, 2020, 4:41 PM

We are already a good team. Just not a great team and not yet consistent. Doubt you can see it through your agenda

How long do you give him to begin achieving

Mar 2, 2020, 6:45 PM

some consistency?

My only agenda is for Clemson to be better in basketball.

Mar 2, 2020, 7:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Expectations for Clemson men's basketball ... ]

I am pleasantly surprised with the way this year's team has developed. I like Brownell and hope he is finally getting things turned around. I have no agenda against Brownell. I am just pointing out facts and asking the questions that beg to be asked. I think a lot of people do have an agenda, however, and I don't understand it. Some folks seem to have an inexpicably blind loyalty to Brownell, Clemson be ######. That loyalty seems to be gorunded in the belief that Clemson basketball could not have been any better over the last 10 years, and either A) therefore a continuation of the last 10 years is perfectly acceptable for the next 10 years, or B) the last 10 years don't count and give no indication as to what we can expect going forward, and things are about to get significantly better.

- H. L. Mencken

Re: My only agenda is for Clemson to be better in basketball.

Mar 2, 2020, 9:04 PM

I’ve read about blind loyalty many times, but I haven’t seen the post/s that suggest that. No Clemson fan that cares about the basketball program would trade CBB for a top ranked program.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As I read this, it makes no sense

Mar 2, 2020, 9:18 PM

"No Clemson fan who that cares about the basketball program would trade CBB for a top ranked program." ?????

Coach for life?

It makes no sense to me, either. Not sure if he mis-typed,

Mar 2, 2020, 10:26 PM

or really meant it.

- H. L. Mencken

?***

Mar 2, 2020, 11:35 PM [ in reply to Re: My only agenda is for Clemson to be better in basketball. ]

- H. L. Mencken

Mar 2, 2020, 5:26 PM

No reason we can’t go to The Dance 5 out of 10 years . No reason Clemson can’t be a decent program. Right now CBB is getting by because he runs a clean program and Football has gone through the roof.
If the football program was AVG like the TB years . CBB would have been fired last year.

Mar 3, 2020, 9:16 AM

Winitall18 said:

No reason we can’t go to The Dance 5 out of 10 years . No reason Clemson can’t be a decent program. Right now CBB is getting by because he runs a clean program and Football has gone through the roof.
If the football program was AVG like the TB years . CBB would have been fired last year.

So you think Clemson b-ball has the same upside as Clemson Football? Hard to discuss when some fans don’t have at least a baseline understanding of Clemson sports and potential

Clemson football is elite

Mar 3, 2020, 10:17 AM

He said basketball should be decent. How is that the same upside? What defines decent is the question. I think good is the better word. Good for me would be regular tourney appearances, NIT when not making the tourney, and a very occasional rebuilding year.

Re: Clemson football is elite

Mar 3, 2020, 1:33 PM

I think this is a reasonable expectation for any P5 basketball program without multiple national titles in their trophy case. In the ACC in should be absolutely the standard.

Re: Clemson football is elite

Mar 3, 2020, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Clemson football is elite ]

what I meat is we can be better than the historicity bad program that we are.
It’s going to take the right coach and I’m starting to believe CBB is not it.
I will say if we finish this season strong and make the Dance next year that’s a start.
I have a feeling tho that 16-14 is about the normal for a CBB team.

Mar 3, 2020, 2:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Expectations for Clemson men's basketball ... ]

No where in my post did I say BB could be as good or should be as good as FB.
Reading comprehension is your friend

Mar 3, 2020, 7:12 AM

To continue to support, make excuses, including blaming "the fans", for an underachieving, coach with a smile on our faces in order to keep his friend(s) happy.
Oh and celebrate every victory but never ever criticize said coach because loses are not his fault.

Mar 3, 2020, 8:42 AM

Until one of you guys finds us a better coach who wants to come to Clemson - face the toughest of basketball schedules at a football school - all of this conversation is moot.

Until you find a great coach who wants that challenge, let's support the good coach that we have.

*yawn****

Mar 3, 2020, 10:48 AM

Mar 3, 2020, 1:30 PM [ in reply to Re: Expectations for Clemson men's basketball ... ]

Yes, the least competitive P5 basketball conference and which is also ranked lower than the AAC is sure to scare off all but the most emboldened coaches.

Let's look at the rest of the ACC over the past 10 years

Mar 3, 2020, 1:57 PM

NCAA Appearances over the past 10 years (2010 - 2019):

BC: 0

GT: 2
Mia: 2
Wake: 2

Clemson: 3
VT: 3

NCSU: 5
Pitt: 5

FSU: 6

ND: 7
UVa: 7

Syr: 8
Lou: 8

UNC: 9

Duke: 10

While Clemson is clearly in the lower tier of the conference in terms of NCAA appearances, we're not an anomaly or clearly worse off than everyone else in the league. I'd say that 4 or more NCAA appearances would be overachieving.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic