Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Is corner the most difficult position to evaluate?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,330

Is corner the most difficult position to evaluate?

Jan 23, 2013, 11:51 AM

I wouldn't think so, but it seems we miss there more than any other position.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Evidently OL is...every year we need bigger and better ones.***

Jan 23, 2013, 11:58 AM

Re: Evidently OL is...every year we need bigger and better ones.***

Jan 23, 2013, 1:27 PM

Well if your not getting better, what are you getting? Team success can be measured in the maintenance and improvement of the O and D line. With the athleticism of defensive linemen these days you have to have a stable of offensive linemen to stay relevant, something we haven't had in a while.

Exactly. We are NOT getting what we need.***

Jan 23, 2013, 2:09 PM

I've heard it's the position that has the least TRUE players

Jan 23, 2013, 4:19 PM

As in, a lot of guys will play hybrid LB, or corner and safety, or corner and WR. Not enough guys put themselves as that single position.

Clemson

If you think about it, it makes sense

Jan 23, 2013, 12:05 PM

These highly-rated DB's are more than likely the best player on their team. If I'm a high school coach and my job is to win games, I'm going to put my best guy in the position to make the most plays. So if the other team has a stud wideout, I might play him solely at CB on D, but he is going to play both ways.

Re: If you think about it, it makes sense

Jan 23, 2013, 12:15 PM

Until recently players in high school have not been expected to excel at coverage because not many elite QB/WR combos existed in high school. I think as the spread evolves you will see more and more true corners that excelled at the position in high school instead of athletes that fit the bill.

null

When I played high school ball

Jan 23, 2013, 12:18 PM

Our starting DB's were our starting WR's and RB's. The strategy being to get your best athletes the ball I suppose. I played OL and DL so I was not included in that

Re: When I played high school ball

Jan 23, 2013, 12:50 PM

That is part of what I am getting at. You won't see as many two way coverage guys with the spread offenses because they will be too winded to play both directions. My high school played a lot of guys both ways also but they didn't exactly have to put in a full effort on both sides of the ball.

null

My vote would go to Guard or Tackle

Jan 23, 2013, 12:05 PM

Have to have the God given size, then add balance and athleticsm to it while staying in shape, but not losing weight. Plus have strong knees and ankles to withstand the punishment of getting up and down and supporting 300+ lbs of weight. YIKES!

We should just offer CB that LSU offers.

Jan 23, 2013, 12:26 PM

They seem to be able to scout them well.

It is the most difficult to play..

Jan 23, 2013, 12:29 PM

You have to be able to run and cust as fast as a reciever, without knowing the route. You have to keep your hands to yourself while looking backwards, yet still maintian contact with the reciever. In addition to that you have to be mentally tough.
You also end up being the last line of defense on running plays, making contact with a back (who usually outweighs you by 30 lbs) only after he has gotten up to full speed.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: It is the most difficult to play..

Jan 23, 2013, 1:09 PM

As difficult as it is to play, it can also be made easier with hard work and dedication to film. Trying to diagnose tips that the receivers give, knowing the down and yardage, and offensive tendancies. Just as much mental as it is physical.

Re: No...Offense line is the hardest to project to the

Jan 23, 2013, 3:38 PM

college level..

So many kids are good at the high school level simply because of their size advantage over usually much inferior opponents.

Very difficult to project which kids from high school have the actualy ability\mental ability to play at the college level.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,330
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic