Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Can any of the TNet fishing gurus help me out?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Can any of the TNet fishing gurus help me out?

Jul 20, 2020, 7:55 AM

I am very sad to admit that as a child I was never taken fishing. I have gone a couple of times with a few friends who didn’t seem to know what they were doing and we never caught anything. I really would like to give fishing a real try but am not sure how I should start. Any advice or helpful youtube channels on fishing for beginners?

TIA

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can any of the TNet fishing gurus help me out?

Jul 20, 2020, 8:04 AM

try out these two youtube channels- flukemaster, and tactical bassin- both of these should be helpful to you. especially look for videos relating to beginners techniques and equipment recommendations

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Jul 20, 2020, 8:06 AM

Check out "Fish the moment" on youtube. Young guy is good and knows his stuff and his instruction is really good. Probably a bit beyond beginner stuff but he explains things in great detail and has a huge passion for it.

From my perspective, I would suggest that you initially focus on a species of fish that you are interested in. That could be largemouth bass, stripers, spotted bass, crappie, catfish, etc. All fishing is fun and rewarding and most people tend to focus on a species as their favorite. However many of us, me included, love fishing and I switch from largemouth to stripers to catfish. Different times of the year is better for certain species but you can catch fish year round in our local ponds, lakes, rivers or coast.

Good luck and I think you are taking up a great and long-lasting hobby.

Jul 20, 2020, 8:09 AM

I'd start off going after something simple, like Goliath grouper or sail fish, then work your way up from there.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2020, 8:19 AM

I’m glad I looked up what these were before I took your advice TigerBalm.

It is dangerous out here on the internet.......***

Jul 20, 2020, 8:27 AM

Jul 20, 2020, 10:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Can any of the TNet fishing gurus help me out? ]

I'd start off going after something simple, like Goliath grouper or sail fish, then work your way up from there.

Whaaat? Goliath Groupers are for kids, if you can't start off with a few Great Whites then you squat to peee.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2020, 10:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Can any of the TNet fishing gurus help me out? ]

Anything you catch from Balm should be thrown back. That’s what FM says anyway.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2020, 11:00 AM

Anything you catch from Balm should be thrown back. That’s what FM says anyway.

Anything you catch form Balm probably requires some Penicillin as well.

;)

Jul 20, 2020, 8:14 AM

Watch YouTube Jigging Jerry @ Mt Pleasant pier. Excellent videos and instruction. And no boat needed!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here you go....

Jul 20, 2020, 8:26 AM

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWMWMX9SrlN-Jfw6o-hGTuw

Jul 20, 2020, 8:30 AM

https://youtu.be/hoQIljOKwpo

My favorite fisherman besides TigerNet’s very own Spud.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Jul 21, 2020, 7:24 AM

This is the only fellow I know who is more likely to fall out of the boat, turn the boat over, or have an accident while fishing than Ole Spud. Had many good laughs fishing with Ole Spud though!

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Re: Everything you want to know

Jul 20, 2020, 9:00 AM

https://www.darcizzleoffshore.com/

Get some minnows and head to the lake

Jul 20, 2020, 9:07 AM

Even fishing guides resort to minnows when the bite is slow

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Get some minnows and head to the lake

Jul 20, 2020, 9:36 AM

Get permission from a pond owner, get a bucket of crickets and a bream buster. and start your learning process. You will have a good time.

Re: A bucket of crickets??

Jul 20, 2020, 10:29 AM

You gonna be busy!

Had some catalpa worms yesterday and did rather well with the redbreast and catfish down on the Combahee (Cumbee for locals). Caught some nice ones on beetlespins but find a shady hole and they were really biting on the bottom. Catalpas in July is awesome.

Jul 20, 2020, 10:15 AM

It's easy as pie to become a knowledgeable bass fisherman. First of all you need to buy a few thousand dollars worth of rods and reels. You will need bait casters and spinning rods for the different types of fishing and lures. Most fishermen carry at least a dozen with them. You will need enough tackle to fill the bed of a pickup truck. This is a tough one. I think five grand might get you started but probably more like 10 grand. I haven't priced them but I think these new +20 foot bass boats are in the $70 grand range. You have to have one of those. And you can't pull a new bass boat with an old worn out pickup so you need to spend 60 more grand on a truck. Misc items and safety equipment is probably another 5 grand. Fuel for each trip if it is a local trip will likely be 200 bucks. And you can't keep the truck or boat or equipment for that matter much longer than 3 to 5 years and you have to trade up. All of that and guess what, you throw the fish back in (if you catch any) and go to the fish market and buy 5 day old flounder for supper. It's a neat sport.

Jul 20, 2020, 12:40 PM

Thanks for the encouragement!

Jul 20, 2020, 1:51 PM

I'm here to help CT. What's funny is I know quite a few individuals that actually went down this road. Guys will do anything to get out of the house for a day.

Spend that kind of money before your 1st fish

Jul 22, 2020, 1:35 PM

and you might not be allowed back into your home (if married).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2020, 10:37 AM

I hope you find your able to be successful fishing, it has been a joy for me all of my life. For starters, it depends on if your fishing fresh or saltwater.

Starting with fresh. I'd like to see you catch some fish and get comfortable with the timing of it. You need a small rod, 12 lb line, bobber and small splitshot sinker and small hook. Go get some crickets. Find a pond or lake and start throwing your bobber 6 or 7 feet off the bank to your right or left. FISH FEED NEAR THE BANKS whether it's brim, red-breast, bass....doesn't matter. Never stand on the bank and cast straight out, there aren't many fish there. Stand on the bank, if looking straight out is 12 o'clock, then you want to throw your bobber at either 2 O'clock or 10 O'clock, put your bobber at least 4 ft. off the bank. Brim will destroy your crickets and you'll catch several on most days. Get used to casting, timing the hook set and bringing them in. I would also buy a couple of 1/8th oz and 1/16th ounche WHITE "Rooster Tail Spinners". you throw it out, real it straight in. Panfish and small bass will tear it up.

You'll have fun catching panfish and it will get you polished on casting, retreiving and hook-set timing. You can move to bigger species later, I would recommend getting some experience with panfish. Timing is everything.

If you'd like more info, shoot me a t-mail, I'll be happy to help. I would also recommend getting in touch with Spud, one of the members on TNET. He's a great guy and a very accomplished fisherman. I'd say he's one of the best I've ever seen.

Salt or fresh?***

Jul 20, 2020, 10:54 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

watch the Outdoor channel. Bill Dance is on Sunday a.m.

Jul 20, 2020, 10:56 AM

I'm pretty sure he is on UTube too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

start with spinning tackle. braided or monofilament line

Jul 20, 2020, 11:00 AM

Youtube videos that pertain to what type of fishing you're going to do often. And go. Alot, you will learn more by doing than watching. Whwere do you live?

Re: start with spinning tackle. braided or monofilament line

Jul 20, 2020, 12:42 PM

I live in Indiana. Probably won’t be doing much saltwater.

Southern Indiana by chance?

Jul 20, 2020, 11:49 PM

I used to tear up some largemouths in the old reclaimed coal mine ponds.

CTiger18® said:

I live in Indiana. Probably won’t be doing much saltwater.

Re: Southern Indiana by chance?

Jul 21, 2020, 8:30 AM

Yes actually. South central Indiana. I’m still fairly new to the area. Where are the coal mine ponds located?

The ones I went to were just East of Evansville

Jul 21, 2020, 8:50 AM

Off the I-64. It was late 90’s. Locals could probably put you on them. Access roads were rough and you might have to do some walking. Oh yes, skeeter repellant a must but I hauled 5-6 lb largemouth out of those ponds like crazy.

Jul 20, 2020, 12:27 PM

If you want to learn the basics of becoming a fisherman, you can find a lot of youtube channels that talks about how to fish and what time of the year to fish for different types of fish. I think that if I were new at fishing, I would find someone that loves fishing and befriend them, and tell them your interest in learning to fish. If you finds someone like that, always offer to pay for half of the trip every time they take you bc nothing is free. And alway offer to help them clean and service their boat, be a service to them without being argumentative of the way they do things. Never forget they are doing you a favor and respect their rules while on the water fishing. Find you someone like that, and you will actually save yourself a ton of $$$$, bc fishing can be a very expensive hobby if you don't know what you're doing. It's expensive knowing what you're doing, but a good fishing buddy sharing the cost of the trips makes it easier on the wallet. So my advice is to find you a knowledgeable fishing buddy, and that will be your safest, and cheapest way to learn about fishing!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 20, 2020, 12:44 PM

I really appreciate all of your comments and suggestions. I will let y’all know once I get my first fish!

Jul 20, 2020, 3:15 PM

I like to watch Cole and Jay on YouTube. From their just search the type fishing you want to do. Search and you can get some good information.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2020, 8:42 AM

The most important thing to master first is how to take a selfie. Ole Spud can give you pointers on this.

Jul 21, 2020, 2:49 PM

Worms or other baits to the region usually will result in something being caught

Good luck and hope you catch your limit

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 22, 2020, 9:46 AM

I think it’s great that you are considering taking this up. I’m also thinking about it.
I grew up rural: Fatm, cows, etc. I was blessed to have 2 rivers and a lake within walking distance. I fished quite a bit between the ages of 10-17. I never had fancy equipment, and never used jigs and lures (didn’t know how). I only used worms for bait, and an occasional minnow or cricket. If I wanted a catfish, I just added a few more sinkers to send my bait to the bottom (The rivers were a better source for the cats I caught). I always came home with a stinger full of fish.
Life happens and I hardly fished after that. I tried to pick it up again a few times over the last 3 decades, but it never panned out. I need a hobby. Perhaps it’s time to try again.
Good luck my Tiger friend.

Jul 22, 2020, 10:22 AM

I was like you when I was about 15 or 16 yrs old. Started out fishing ponds in my area. Just had an open faced or spinning reel with about 10 lb test line. I remember buying lots of different packs of zoom worms. All I ever tried to fish for was bass. Anyway, when I was around 20 my uncles neighbor took me with him a bunch and I learned in a month what took me 5 years to learn by myself. It helps a ton to go with somebody who you can learn from. After I went with my uncles neighbor I basically trimmed my tackle box down to about 2 different kinds of worms cause that’s all I needed. We used a zoom worm called a dead ringer in June bug color. It came in 4,6 and 8 inch. Of course the bigger the worm the bigger the bass we caught. We had our best luck on this lure but there are tons and tons of lures out there. That’s why it’s helpful to meet somebody who knows what you need. Good luck.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic