Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Young defensive linemen impressive as camp hits day two
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

New Story: Young defensive linemen impressive as camp hits day two

Aug 5, 2015, 8:24 PM

Young defensive linemen impressive as camp hits day two

Clemson’s defensive line is going to be just fine. The Tigers lost every starter from last year’s front four, and there are concerns heading into the season that depth might be an issue. At this point, it looks like experience is the only issue as the defensive linemen were front and center during Wednesday afternoon’s practice. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Young defensive linemen impressive as camp hits day two

Aug 5, 2015, 8:34 PM

Man I'm excited to see Wilkins in uniform.

Makes me worry about OL, we know Lawson is not blockable on

Aug 5, 2015, 8:40 PM

occasion, but I have trouble believing some of the other guys are that dominant already. Pads will change things, but those true frosh on the OL will need to grow up fast.

Re: Makes me worry about OL, we know Lawson is not blockable on

Aug 5, 2015, 8:59 PM

with this program you always worry about OL. finding 5 always seems a struggle for us

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Makes me worry about OL, we know Lawson is not blockable on

Aug 5, 2015, 9:37 PM

Wondering if it isn't Caldwell. We do seem to struggle with OL'men, but this has been a problem for a long time. I remember saying the same thing when Brad Scott was the OL coach (and it was true then, too). We have had plenty of wonderful "skill players", but the OL has been our "Achilles Heel".

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Attrition... It's been addressed.***

Aug 5, 2015, 9:48 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have to respectively disagree there my friend...

Aug 6, 2015, 1:00 AM [ in reply to Re: Makes me worry about OL, we know Lawson is not blockable on ]

I think one of the reasons we landed such a great class on Oline was Caldwell. He has done really good things with what he has had since he has been here and in my opinion the O line will only get better.

We may have the perfect D to get these guys all the experience they will need to start the year.

Just the way I see it of course.

Aiki

Re: Have to respectively disagree there my friend...

Aug 6, 2015, 8:19 AM

Nothing would make me more happy than for you to be right. I pray we finally get a great OL and keep itrolling every year adding quality replacements every year. That has been the missing link in our getting to the top, IMO. Hopefully Caldwell gets us to that level. I'm so sick of us having to use trick plays when it is 3rd or 4th and a yard (in many instances we have punted on those 4th down occasions, and not just when we were deep in our own territory, and even worse is when we did try it and failed). Having been an OL at Clemson, I can tell you that isn't good when you can't count on the big uglies for a yard or less.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2015, 10:07 AM

I know we want to be able to get those tough 2 yards on a consistent basis.... but I remember a lot of plays last year where our D stopped the opponent on 2 and short and then again on 3rd and short and sometimes again on 4th and short! :)

Trick plays keep the opposing D guessing. If your DL and LBs are as good as ours was last year you might not be able to pick up 2 yards in the box, specially if 7 or less are blocking 7...

Aug 7, 2015, 8:51 AM

I want our D to be that good, and I want our OL to be that good, too. I would love to be able to line up and run it up the middle with some confidence, for a change. I remember hearing an interview of Goldberg, the big UGA defensive DL who later became a wrestler after we whipped their butts in Athens one night. We ran predominantly 2 plays. Fullback up the middle play after play. We did have 2 great fullbacks on that team, I will admit, but Goldberg said "we knew what they were going to run, and their wasn't a da-ned thing we could do about it. They just whipped us". I don't expect that level of dominance again, but I sure would like to see some of it from our OL.

Get a dog.

Aug 5, 2015, 9:46 PM [ in reply to Makes me worry about OL, we know Lawson is not blockable on ]

Good grief y'all are a bunch of ninnies.

"Makes me wonder about the coaching..."

Look, we hit some home runs on WR...look at Caldwell's body of work as a coach through the years. There is no doubt the guy knows what he's doing...it's also pretty well known he and Morris had some philosophical differences, but Morris was running the show - we'll see how things are now.

Fact is, we had the most productive offenses we've ever had w/ him as OL coach...whine if you want, but shows a lack of knowledge.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Good post! I have to agree...

Aug 6, 2015, 1:02 AM

I believe we start to see the fruits of Caldwell's labor this year.

Re: Good post! I have to agree...

Aug 6, 2015, 8:21 AM

Nothing would make me happier.

Re: Get a dog.

Aug 6, 2015, 7:19 AM [ in reply to Get a dog. ]

Go to any fan base in the country and you mostly hear that same noise about the offensive side of the ball. It could be that on the offensive side, the noise has more to do with fan knowledge and experience with the more technical play that is needed for an offense to work, and understanding that the offense will always be the leader of the dance. I mean, that is why most of the offensive plays are set up through disguising their real intentions, or intended moves isn't it!!! Everybody will have their opinions, and honestly, our opinions will never make a dime from/In coaching!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I somewhat agree

Aug 5, 2015, 10:31 PM [ in reply to Makes me worry about OL, we know Lawson is not blockable on ]

It does make you wonder about our Oline if freshman are able to come in and look good. Hopefully its just more of the Dline being really talented instead of our Oline not doing well. Practice just started, i expect some of these offensive lineman to win more of these battles once they get back in the groove of playing football.

No! No! No!

Aug 5, 2015, 9:32 PM

Don't start telling everybody how great we still are. I want them to think, "poor old Clemson. They lost all those studs, and they are going to suffer". That is partially true. We did lose a lot of Defensive talent, but it couldn't be father from the truth in that there are many, very, very many, talented replacements. Our talent cupboard is very well stocked.

Nope

Aug 5, 2015, 10:15 PM

It's the 80s again and we are loaded with studs and to be feared. We're not the wimpy team that sneaks up on teams any more.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Practice reports sound the same no matter what

Aug 6, 2015, 3:36 AM [ in reply to No! No! No! ]

positive sells

14 lbs.!!! Eric McClain might be getting a complaint letter from the Clemson sewage treatment dept.***

Aug 5, 2015, 9:41 PM

Hyatt against Lawson should be won by Lawson

Aug 5, 2015, 9:43 PM

More often than not. If it isn't then we have a problem. The good news is that it only helps Hyatt grow up fast and it's also probably the case where Lawson is as good or better than anyone Hyatt should face this year.

Yep! +1 ****

Aug 6, 2015, 1:04 AM

Re: Hyatt against Lawson should be won by Lawson

Aug 6, 2015, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Hyatt against Lawson should be won by Lawson ]

EXACTLY!!

I hope that Shaq is Vic Beasley 2.0

The most dominant DE in college football!!

His being so dominant in practice is going to develop Mitch into a very good left tackle.

And that bodes well for Deshauns Watsons blind side. Which bodes well for the entire team!

Go Tigers!!!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Short and shirts All-Stars....come on man!

Aug 5, 2015, 10:01 PM

1-on-1 OL/DL should be won by the DL most of the time. And I think it speaks to poor coaching of the OLine.

I know it. Heck, last November we did not even block the DE

Aug 5, 2015, 10:36 PM

on the two jet sweeps Artavis took to the house versus your Chikkens. Didn't even touch him!

Every year I played football the defense always starts the

Aug 5, 2015, 10:20 PM

first couple of weeks kicking the offensive lines butt. I don't care what level you play defense is easier to play. You know your assignment and do it. On OL you have to identify where your block is, best way to block the player or players your blocking and snap count. It takes time for the OL to get to the place their not thinking, just attacking. Hyatt has a tall order but going against the best for a guy that wants to bury you will make him strong mentally, physically and with his technique.

I'm thankful the DL looks so good. It will challenge all the offensive line to be ready by pushing them to look at film, take coaching and become a team(us against them). The level of recruits we have will proform their best under the stress. That's why Dabo wants it hot and heated between the guys. That's football at its best.

I can't wait to see this team grow. Dabo will prune the rookies real good to make them grow with the fertilizer their position coach is giving them. A lot of good coach/bad coach going on to get them where they reach their potential. I believe we have never had a team that has the talent this team has the potential to be.

I can't wait to get more good news like this. Thanks David Hood!

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Think you said that pretty well! +1 *

Aug 6, 2015, 1:07 AM

Null

Re: Every year I played football the defense always starts the

Aug 6, 2015, 8:31 AM [ in reply to Every year I played football the defense always starts the ]

Also, 1 on 1 drills help develop skills ( balance, footwork, technique, etc), but in real game situations, there is a crowd in many instances, and an OL can steer the DL into it and effectively take his man out of the play. I would love for us to have OL that could just whip everybody they face, but that isn't real, either. I just want us to be a dependable short yardage team. The big plays take care of themselves.

Re: Every year I played football the defense always starts the

Aug 7, 2015, 12:18 PM

On most plays the left tackle is on an island (He can relate to what the CB's do). The DE is going to try to out quick him to the outside, or do a spin move back inside. The RB may help on certain plays, but there is no mass of big uglies to help out the left tackle.

Thanks for update david. I wish we could see highlights

Aug 5, 2015, 10:26 PM

Of some of the practices. I know Dabo probably doesn't want that but we're playing Wofford for the first game, not Auburn or GA. Just a few short videos of some of the matchups or drills would be nice. Hopefully we can see that one day.

Register fan here***

Aug 5, 2015, 10:44 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: New Story: Young defensive linemen impressive as camp hits day two

Aug 6, 2015, 9:02 AM

Sounding pretty good to me. I'm not too worried about Hyatt getting beat with no pads on by one of the best DE in the nation (possibly THE best this year). It is waaaay harder to block without pads on. Players sweat, and get slippery, and you don't have the foam and plastic of shoulder pads to lock into. I've played and coached football, and the defense always wins the first few practices.

I can't wait til the pads go on, we will really find out about our team then.

LETS GOOOOOOOO!!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ricky Sapp. Several years ago it was reported

Aug 6, 2015, 9:31 AM

that Ricky Sapp was unblockable during Fall practice. The coaches were having to sit him down so the offense could actually run some plays. He was going to have 20 sacks and 50 TFL that season.

When the season started, we found that the OL couldn't block anyone, much less Ricky Sapp.

Signed,

Debbie Downer (a.k.a. Nervous Nellie)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ricky Sapp. Several years ago it was reported

Aug 6, 2015, 10:19 AM

Man, Ricky Sapp. He's up there with Roscoe Crosby in terms of not living up to potential.

Definitely did not produce at a 5 star level.

Re: Ricky Sapp. Several years ago it was reported

Aug 6, 2015, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Ricky Sapp. Several years ago it was reported ]

I remember that as well, that season was a disaster ...... the difference is Shaq Lawson's stats from last season shows the our opponents were not able to block him either! :) They blocked Beasley more consistently than Lawson... but when they missed Beasley, Vic made them pay, he was fast....

1 of best DLs Hood's seen? That's encouraging. Good article!***

Aug 6, 2015, 12:09 PM

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic