Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Even Urban Meyer can't hide this
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Even Urban Meyer can't hide this

Oct 21, 2018, 9:25 AM

Ohio State is often over-rated, over-praised, out-played and ultimately embarrassed.

Purdue....49-20
Iowa......55-24
Oklahoma..31-16
Clemson...31-0

Like Urban Meyer, Ohio State sometimes quits.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Even Urban Meyer can't hide this

Oct 21, 2018, 9:36 AM

I watched most of the Purdue debacle. OSU just did not look that good on all fronts. Hard to figure it out...Purdue had the home mojo going for them in a big way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 10:09 AM

Did you watch the Ohio State - Minnesota game? Minnesota didn't win that game, but they outplayed OSU pretty much the entire game. That's why myself and several tnetters saw this Purdue win coming. Purdue has been playing well in recent games and OSU is, as always, not a great team as advertised.

Oct 21, 2018, 10:00 AM

Something else Urban can't hide is what appears to be health-related issues on the sidelines. About a month ago, he was seen kneeling on the sidelines following a big play. It was said to be headache related. Against Penn State, he appeared to be out of touch at times, and last night against Purdue, I was watching a repeat.
He just seems out of sorts.
I know he quit Football back in 2009(I think) as a result of stress, and pressure to win.
Could the same be happening at OSU?
Any thoughts?

Ohio State

Oct 21, 2018, 11:39 AM

Ohio State is the object of my post about what Meyer can and cannot hide.

The Buckeyes have been historically over-rated and over-praised by decades of sports writers. I'm talking about a big name program that has never beaten Clemson OR South Carolina and has a woeful record against the SEC. I'm talking about a program whose QB, JT Barrett, could not run or throw as well as Kelly Bryant and yet who got tons of praise while leading the Buckeyes. Remember 31-0? Remember that other Buckeye QB? The ole hurtin' buckeroo?

Since 2011, Ohio State has only lost 16 total games. The buckeyes are 1-4 versus the ACC over that same time frame. Yet every year, the Buckeyes start out in the preseason top 5.

Meyer may have health problems. Ohio State gets too much support from the National Media.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 2:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Even Urban Meyer can't hide this ]

I saw that also. When they showed him reacting to the pick six and the previous Purdue run for a touch down I thought his reaction was not just disappointment he looked severely depressed. I am not being demeaning either. It seemed like an unnatural reaction to what had happened.
Usually a coach will give you that "oh no" response and maybe throw something, his was much worse. I thought he may collapse as well. Hopefully his health is OK. I may not like his team or how he handles things but he needs to take care of himself.

Oct 21, 2018, 10:23 AM

Looking over UM’s HCing career from the media especially ESPN they have tried to promote Urban Meyer as a Legend. But look at the last 3 teams where he has stepped in as HC. Was at Utah 1 year program was already successful. Went to FU another successful program that Urban did not have to rebuild but just help to reload and then he goes to OSU another successful program where he has team with winning traditions. All he did was to helped to carry on their continued success with a few pot holes in the road. For example the shut out by Clemson and the loss yesterday to Purdue.

But I do not see where he has really had to totally rebuild a program like Chad Morris was getting done at SMU and I believe will accomplish at Arkansas.

So what makes UM so special? Why does ESPN go out of its way to make him seem super human.

IMO what Dabo has accomplished at Clemson is far more impressive than anything Saban, Urban Meyer, or many other current coaches or those former coaches who are now announcers have accomplished. At FU and OSU he is supposed to win their. They have a history of winning. IMO TB left Clemson’s program in pretty good shape with a solid foundation. Then with financial backing from the University and IPTAY Dabo used his talents to build from that solid foundation and Elite program but putting his mark on the program like no other coach before him.

Dabo is more worthy of Legend status than most any other HC in today’s game!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 10:38 AM

Dabo is a legend. But despite some personal failings, so is Urban Meyer. His winning percentage is incredible. And he has won three national titles.

At UF, he took over for Ron Zook, not Spurrier. So there wasn’t a championship program just waiting to happen. Remember how bad Zook was?

Ohio State was 6-7 the head before Meyer arrived. Utah was 5-6 before him. Hardly reload situations.

You can hate him all you want, but you shouldn’t change history, make stuff up and ignore his legitimate accomplishments.

The OP

Oct 21, 2018, 11:04 AM

Made his position perfectly clear. He took nothing away from UM's record, simply stated he didn't build a program. Florida and tOSU clearly have been legacy programs. Certainly, so has LSU and Bama. The OP's point was, look what Dabo did, from scratch, and has brought Clemson to the precipice of being on par with Bama. Even tOSU isn't on par with Bama now...and it's not 2014 any longer.

Envisioning, building, sustaining, and tenure in one place are the core fabrics of a legend. Dabo is certainly more qualified to be held in that light than most any other coach in the profession currently. That's not to take anything from Saban's accomplishments, but Bama's been there for decades and is on an unprecedented run.

Lastly, UM does seem ill...and it surfaced over the summer. He has decisions to make, but if I was laying money down now, he won't be on the sidelines next year.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The OP

Oct 21, 2018, 11:40 AM

Check the thread more closely. I was not responding to the OP.

Oct 21, 2018, 11:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Even Urban Meyer can't hide this ]

Agree with this. He's won 3 titles in 10 years, with 2 programs. He's a good one. But something has been dead wrong this year and all of Columbus has seen this brewing for the past several weeks. I think all of Buckeye Nation is breathing a sign of relief today that they took the loss and now things look like they won't have to get spanked in the CFP. I don't know if it's that this team just isn't who they thought they were, or if the off-season drama has really caused chaos behind the scenes. They've made really elementary mistakes all season, stuff that just shouldn't exist in week 8. He keeps saying they will fix it, but they don't. Their captain and team leader has quit. It's just dysfunction.

On the field, Urbs has normally had a mobile QB. JT and Brax could scramble for a 6 yard gain when things weren't open. While Haskins has a good arm, he makes Peyton Manning look like Usain Bolt. They have a very mobile backup who is very capable of running the offense (or at least make an appearance for certain plays), but Urban won't play him. The offensive line is a mess. Their defense has just quit. It's not that they’re losing, it's how they're losing and that they’re losing big, and that doesn't work in C-Bus. That Tyler kid looked more alive than Urban did last night - he's not well. I think we're witnessing the end.

Oct 21, 2018, 11:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Even Urban Meyer can't hide this ]

agree 100% with your last statement.Dabo deserves much more credit than he's given,but unfortunately there are airheads in the media who still consider CU a pretender.even though we've won 2 national championships(uga has one from 1980),in some people's thinking we're not really considered one of elites of the sport.CU is a new kid on the block that got lucky in their feeble minds and shouldn't be mentioned in the same breath as Notre Dame,ohio state,oklahoma,lsu,auburn,fsu,and GOD forbid,alabama.never mind that we've beaten and in some cases embarassed all of those schools.how could a relatively small school in the rolling hills of SC be reckoned among the deities of college football?that's all ok.Dabo and team will just keep grinding and winning.after all,didn't he say the fun is in the winning,and it seems to me that there's been plenty of that lately.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

He's won 3 rings, spin it however you want***

Oct 21, 2018, 2:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Even Urban Meyer can't hide this ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To be honest...

Oct 21, 2018, 10:30 AM

I'm one of those few who have yet been convinced that Meyer is that great of a coach.

I personally think he's put himself in situations that his teams could win games, but not from his coaching skill. I give him that though.

The wife beaters got beat

Oct 21, 2018, 10:47 AM

Badly...it was such a great day!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Meyer is good at

Oct 21, 2018, 11:08 AM

jump starting or upgrading a program, but he has some problems sustaining success. His success (like many HCs) depends on who his OCs and DCs are at the time.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic