Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Andre Ellington or Travis Etienne
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 2,135

Andre Ellington or Travis Etienne

May 25, 2020, 12:19 PM

Who would you take first?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Class of ‘71. Went through “rat season” and glad I did.

ETN but liked AE a lot.

May 25, 2020, 12:21 PM

Go TiGERS..Rock today!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Andre Ellington or Travis Etienne

May 25, 2020, 12:25 PM

Probably Etienne, but AE was a great Tiger as well.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

May 25, 2020, 12:41 PM

Loved Andre but this is not even a legitament question.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2020, 1:09 PM

This is exactly what I was going to say. AE was great but TE is on another level.

May 25, 2020, 12:43 PM

Ellington was so dangerous catching passes out of the backfield and ETN hasn't shown that yet, but we didn't see the breakaways from Ellington that ETN has.

Neither was much of a blocker and Ellington turned out to be injury prone.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2020, 1:17 PM

ETN hasn’t shown to be a threat out of the backfield???

Last year ETN had 37 catches for 432 yards and 4 tds.

AE’s best season as a receiver was his senior year and he only had 14 catches for 232 and 1 td.

ETN has shown he is MUCH more dangerous catching passes out of the backfield. He also had a pretty good year blocking last year, minus the UNC game.

May 25, 2020, 4:05 PM

I was excited to see ETN improve his pass-catching abilities last year. The Ohio State game was a true showcase.

Looking forward to seeing him again soon.

I'm a big Ellington fan too. He had a great career.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We don’t beat Ohio State without ETN catches and YAC.

May 25, 2020, 4:14 PM

He doesn’t have the best hands, but once he gathers it in, there’s nobody better.

ETN

May 25, 2020, 1:14 PM

it is not even close.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ETN

May 25, 2020, 1:17 PM

I figurd it was a jokey OP.

ET funny funny guy.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ETN

May 25, 2020, 4:27 PM [ in reply to ETN ]

Agreed

I'll take Travis between those two. We win with both!***

May 25, 2020, 1:35 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2020, 1:38 PM

I'd probably take ETN, but I do think it's a tough question. Clemson is just so much better now as a team than they were in 2011. While ETN, if he can build up speed is very hard to take down, tends to get shut down if they get their hands on him at the line of scrimmage. That's why he's had the tendency to disappear against really good defensive front 7s. But we usually outclass our opponents in the trenches so that's not much of an issue. Ellington was better at the LOS (though not as good as Gallman) and was a better receiver. But ETN is better in the open field. I think I'd probably rank our starting RBs in the Dabo era as:

1. CJ Spiller - close to a one man team (Ford was good too). He'd win the Heisman with Clemson's current talent around him.
2. Travis Etienne
3. Wayne Gallman (I think he and ETN are pretty close)
4. Andre Ellington
5. Jamie Harper
6. Tavien Feaster (He was the starter for part of the 2017 season before Etienne and Choice knocked him to third)
7. Rod McDowell
8. I think D.J. Howard started in 2014 but was benched by Gallman.

May 25, 2020, 2:07 PM

I'd probably take ETN, but I do think it's a tough question. Clemson is just so much better now as a team than they were in 2011. While ETN, if he can build up speed is very hard to take down, tends to get shut down if they get their hands on him at the line of scrimmage. That's why he's had the tendency to disappear against really good defensive front 7s. But we usually outclass our opponents in the trenches so that's not much of an issue. Ellington was better at the LOS (though not as good as Gallman) and was a better receiver. But ETN is better in the open field. I think I'd probably rank our starting RBs in the Dabo era as:

1. CJ Spiller - close to a one man team (Ford was good too). He'd win the Heisman with Clemson's current talent around him.
2. Travis Etienne
3. Wayne Gallman (I think he and ETN are pretty close)
4. Andre Ellington
5. Jamie Harper
6. Tavien Feaster (He was the starter for part of the 2017 season before Etienne and Choice knocked him to third)
7. Rod McDowell
8. I think D.J. Howard started in 2014 but was benched by Gallman.

A lot of good points here ??

However, I think even elite RBs struggle with a great front 7 unless the OLINE is elite and the QB can make throws.

Barry Sanders, probably the most elusive RB ever, is one of the few I've seen be able to make something from nothing but there were still a lot of negative yardage plays due to oline

May 25, 2020, 4:08 PM

I think that's mostly true, which is why I ultimately gave it to ETN. But I'd say Spiller was someone who succeeded without a great offensive line. It was really strange. There was talent on the 2009 offensive line. I think 4 were 4 stars and the last was a 3 star who made an NFL roster. But they just didn't show much synergy compared to our latest offensive lines. Maybe the culture was less focused on the team during the Bowden years. Kyle Parker was a better QB than he gets credit for, but he just got mauled by opposing defenses.

But CJ constantly made plays out of nothing, and was phenomenal in every aspect of his game (I also think signing him was a huge move for Clemson). I'd call the 2009 ACC championship the most frustrating game I ever watched. Basically every player sucked except for CJ. He put the team on his back more than I've ever seen. The line couldn't stop Georgia Tech. Parker freaked out after getting hit a few times and just starting throwing wild. And the defense was horrendous (giving up like 350 rushing yards). I was so frustrated because CJ would pull out a crazy touchdown run, and then Georgia Tech would march down the field and score again. I think they scored on 8 of 9 drives. So I think CJ succeeded with a fairly mediocre line.

May 25, 2020, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Andre Ellington or Travis Etienne ]

Don't forget Raymond Priester

May 25, 2020, 3:46 PM

I was just ranking the running backs from the Dabo era. So 2009 to 2019. I think its too hard to compare backs across different eras. Priester was elite, as was Zachery, Allen, and Flowers. But I wanted to stick to the last decade or so.

May 25, 2020, 3:37 PM

Both are great, but ETN of course.

May 25, 2020, 4:04 PM

Carlsbad® said:

Both are great, but ETN of course.

This. ETN would start but Ellington would get carries too (almost similar to when Spiller was here).

May 25, 2020, 4:24 PM

Tajh Boyd vs. Deshaun Watson is an equally credible assessment. I don't get it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2020, 4:45 PM

I'm with you Socman2, bottom line, why ask fans to choose
between former or present players? Andre was a great player
for Clemson and proved his worth in the NFL. ETN is great and
one day this poster will ask, who would you pick ETN or ?.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 25, 2020, 5:34 PM

No a fair question because they are both #1.

Etienne = best Clemson RB ever***

May 25, 2020, 7:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Etienne = best Clemson RB ever***

May 25, 2020, 7:38 PM

It would have been interesting to see what Spiller would have been like with our current team.

Re: Etienne = best Clemson RB ever***

May 25, 2020, 9:02 PM [ in reply to Etienne = best Clemson RB ever*** ]

Wrong. Etienne is phenomenal. But there's really not an argument Etienne is better than Spiller.

Replies: 25
| visibility 2,135
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic