Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Erskine bringing back football for 2020 season, hired new HC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Erskine bringing back football for 2020 season, hired new HC

Nov 15, 2018, 3:29 PM

DUE WEST, SC - Erskine College announced Friday afternoon the reinstatement of intercollegiate football to the campus effective immediately. The program was discontinued after the 1951 season.

The program will begin competition in 2020. Plans are in process to hire a head coach and two assistant coaches to begin recruiting within the next few months. The coaches will recruit student-athletes to enroll in the fall of 2019 for a redshirt season. During that time, student-athletes will prepare to play at the college level and allow the coaching staff to implement a system for the inaugural 2020 season.

The athletics department is committed to Erskine's mission of equipping students to flourish by providing an excellent liberal arts education in a Christ-centered environment where learning and biblical truth are integrated to develop the whole person. The installation of football at Erskine is based upon the foundation of the institutional mission.

"This is a dramatic step for the college but one that opens doors in recruiting which allow us to expand our footprint in South Carolina and the Southeast Region," Erskine Director of Athletics Mark Peeler said.

"The critical next step is to identify a head coach who will be thoroughly committed to our mission," he added.

"We will not compromise the college's mission or 'The Fleet Way' with the addition of football. We will integrate all aspects of this program with our core values—first and foremost we are Christ-centered. This is dramatic, but it is also a very exciting time for Erskine and the Due West community. We have much work to do," Peeler said.

Further information will be released next week regarding the football program and other athletic programs.

Hired new head coach....
Erskine (D-II – SC): Shap Boyd, the defensive coordinator and safeties coach at UVA-Wise (D-II) will be the new head coach of the Erskine football program. Back in August, the school announced that they’d be bringing back the football program that was discontinued following the 1951 season. Boyd has previous coaching experience at Middle Tennessee State, Kentucky, Southeastern University (NAIA – FL), Muskingum (D-III – OH), Wash U (D-III – St. Louis, MO), Jacksonville State (FCS – FL), University of the South (D-III – TN), Lycoming (D-III – PA), Lock Haven (D-II – PA) and Lake Highland Prep (Orlando, FL).

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Erskine bringing back football for 2020 season, hired new HC

Nov 15, 2018, 4:51 PM

As an Erskine graduate my perspective is of a school that has alienated most of the graduates of my era, early to mid 70s, is struggling financially, and has minimal enrollment. To start football is incredibly foolish. I expect daily mail begging for football money. Epic fail is about to happen.

I feel like you took the words out of my mouth...Except I'm

Nov 15, 2018, 4:56 PM

a mid 90s graduate. I had fun while I was there, but they've made that place weird.

Re: I feel like you took the words out of my mouth...Except I'm

Nov 15, 2018, 5:10 PM

I'm unfamiliar with Erskine. Can you elaborate on what the school has done to make it "weird"?

Re: I feel like you took the words out of my mouth...Except I'm

Nov 15, 2018, 5:44 PM

Imagine being out in the middle of the woods and you stumble upon a university. That’s what makes Erskin weird.

Struggling financially is an understatement.

Nov 15, 2018, 6:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Erskine bringing back football for 2020 season, hired new HC ]

Starting another athletic program is utterly stupidity when you are bleeding money.

Nov 15, 2018, 8:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Erskine bringing back football for 2020 season, hired new HC ]

Have to echo this as well

They've alienated basically all alumni

Graduated there in 04 and have only been back once...didn't care much for the leadership, business decisions etc then and they're getting worse each year

Nov 15, 2018, 5:01 PM

Anderson college football program makes more sense. There is absolutely nothing in due west. Anderson isn’t much better, but it is growing none the less.

Then when are they showing up on our early-season......

Nov 15, 2018, 6:02 PM

non-conference schedule? Given some of the other warm-up teams we've played, I wouldn't be surprised to see them in DV.

Probably what their AD is thinking...go to Bama,

Nov 15, 2018, 6:58 PM

Clemson, GA...pays their athletic budget for the year.

Nov 15, 2018, 7:45 PM

As a CU graduate who dated someone at Erskine in the 80/90’s , I was so sad for the quality of the education particularly at the cost to the students. We attended each other’s classes on occasion and there was no comparison in value . It was an expensive private school for rich kids. But there was some great folks I met there. Hope the state does not invest much in this.

And SEC phones are ringing Due West in 3..2..1..***

Nov 15, 2018, 7:46 PM

Erskine had to back football - couldn’t beat Lander University in tennis!***

Nov 15, 2018, 8:27 PM

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic