Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Equal pay 4 wimmens soccer Hahahaha
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Equal pay 4 wimmens soccer Hahahaha

Jul 10, 2019, 11:05 PM

Espys praising them and of course mention equal pay twice....What a clown show. They obviously don't understand to make the same you have to bring the same interest. They also handled the whole tournament like a bunch of middle school girls with their stunts.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ESPN Should Overpay Them Like They Did For Stupid NBA

Jul 10, 2019, 11:06 PM

Contract

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Equal pay 4 wimmens soccer Hahahaha

Jul 10, 2019, 11:07 PM

Didn’t they bring more interest/viewers than any US men’s soccer team ever has?

no their win in 2015 had over 20 mil viewers

Jul 10, 2019, 11:09 PM

only did 14 mil this time..the mens final that didnt involved the untied states in 2018 had 12 mil viewers

Jul 10, 2019, 11:15 PM

The pink haired female is clearly trying to be the women's soccer version of Kap, complete with a big fat Nike contact for doing nothing more than bashing her own country.

Jul 11, 2019, 12:22 AM

THAT IS A CASE OF WHITE BOY GOP IGNORANCE.

What is Kap?***

Jul 11, 2019, 6:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Equal pay 4 wimmens soccer Hahahaha ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Their contract is totally different from the men's because

Jul 11, 2019, 12:42 AM

it's what they collectively bargained for. The women receive a salary and other benefits just for being on the roster. Benefits include health insurance, severance pay, and more.

The men are paid per game played, with bonuses for winning, and receive no additional benefits.

Has anyone told them

Jul 11, 2019, 6:02 AM

they are welcome to go out and get a real job, and see if they like that any better?

Re: Their contract is totally different from the men's because

Jul 11, 2019, 7:18 AM [ in reply to Their contract is totally different from the men's because ]

Yep. I'd suggest that if the WNT were offered identical contract and pay scale that MNT operates under, they would reject it because of the inherent risk of NOT getting paid in the MNT contract.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Equal pay 4 wimmens soccer Hahahaha***

Jul 11, 2019, 2:59 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2019, 3:01 AM

Doesn’t Tom Brady’s wife make more than he does? Guess it depends on the industry. Perception does not always equal reality. Equal opportunity does not necessarily equal equal outcome.

Jul 11, 2019, 3:01 AM

Doesn’t Tom Brady’s wife make more than he does? Guess it depends on the industry. Perception does not always equal reality. Equal opportunity does not necessarily equal equal outcome.

Jul 11, 2019, 3:54 AM

You can say that again.

Jul 11, 2019, 7:06 AM

I don't care about their politics , they beat the world in a sport the world thinks we're no good at .
Go USA !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Well the USWNT was defending Champs so... ***

Jul 11, 2019, 10:15 AM

Jul 11, 2019, 8:10 AM

But here is the problem...

The USSF BUNDLES both the Mens team and Womens team as a single "entity" for business relationships. Thus when Nike, McDonands, JimmyJoes Bathroom Emporium sponsors the soccer team, they are sponsoring BOTH for one price. At that point, they are not "separate" but the pay is.

About a little over USSF revenue is sponsorship, the other 25% is domestic ticket sales, the other is kickbacks from FIFA ect. FIFA kickbacks (prize money) is the part that the men bring in more than the women is a smaller % overall. Ticket revenue is about the same because although the men average more domestic attendance, they play fewer games and often the "cost" to pay an opposing side (aka the show money) is higher with the men. That leaves the big item as "sponsorship". And guess what, the women's team is more valuable. If they want to break off the sponsorship into separate pools and pay accordingly then there is less of a case. But basically USSF wants it both ways... to pool money but then also claim "separate" funding.

Here is where the womens team is 100% correct regardless of other politics:

You can't bundle the sponsorship together and then pay the players differently. Especially if one brand is of a higher value (womens team) but is receiving less.

Finally, one last thing and this should be first and foremost about US ANYTHING. We value merit and performance above all else. Don't be a coot and value participation, value hardware. The women earned it, the men haven't. Pay the champs (not the participants... or in the US's case, the non-participants).

Jul 11, 2019, 8:18 AM

Absolutely

Jul 11, 2019, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Re: Equal pay 4 wimmens soccer Hahahaha ]

Absolutely

You know way too much about soccer***

Jul 11, 2019, 9:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Equal pay 4 wimmens soccer Hahahaha ]

Jul 11, 2019, 8:34 AM

14 million Americans tuned in to watch them. That is pretty solid.

Different collective bargaining agreements...

Jul 11, 2019, 8:41 AM

It’s tough to make a straightforward comparison of the earnings for men and women players because the two teams have different collective-bargaining agreements that outline different pay structures.

As an example, a contract player on the women’s team makes a base salary and can earn performance-based bonuses. On the men’s team, players earn only bonuses.

The teams also play different numbers of games each year and earn different bonuses depending on the game type, their opponents’ FIFA rank and the game’s outcome. On top of that, both teams can earn additional bonuses for winning specific tournaments, and certain events, such as the World Cup, have a separate bonus structure entirely which is largely controlled by FIFA.

What does all of that mean. The male players are paid when they play, but not when they sit. USWNT players, in contrast, are guaranteed pay.

At the end of the day, if the USWNT players are upset, they should blame their own player's union for negotiating a system that pays them in ways they find unacceptable.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Different collective bargaining agreements...

Jul 11, 2019, 9:08 AM

Also, the men's sponsors, such as Nike, pay more for the men's team. Nike has agreed to pay the women's team more now though.

Jul 11, 2019, 9:18 AM

Actually that isn't true.

To sponsor USSF (AKA US Soccer), you get the BOTH the Mens and Womens team. You can't just sponsor one and not the other. It all goes into the same pot. There is no distinction between "sponsorship" an the USMNT and the USWNT.

THAT is actually the heart of the issue. USSF can't bundle the sponsorship and keep paying separately. Sponsorship is over 50% of the revenue, it is the bigger money maker for US Soccer. (and it appears that sponsorship for the women are more valuable).

Jul 11, 2019, 10:05 AM

That's interesting. I didnt know that. Thanks. I just heard some guy on ESPN saying Nike was going to increase the money for the women. I guess it will go to both and the women will get more? Not sure. Thanks for that info though.

Jul 11, 2019, 10:43 AM

Yup, and that is really at the heart of the lawsuit between the USWNT and USSF.

I don't doubt that Nike has several mechanism for sponsorship and pay that is also direct towards women athletes, so you are likely correct on that front. Nike might even have its own internal formula etc for things but when sponsoring the US National Teams, it is all one pot. I think that IF USSF did separate the Mens and Womens sponsorship pots and disclosed that, then it would be a non-issue as long as the % cuts were roughly similar (similar how the men get 9% of the tournament cut and women get 13% -but the Womens generate less tournament revenue). But, USSF has been strangely resistant to that concept and when folks are strange with money that means money is being handled strangely. Basically, the Womens team is making the argument that if you are going to lump them in with the men's sponsorship funds, then they deserve equal compensation, especially as it appears that the women's brand is more valuable due to hardward.

I am sympathetic, but after all the sloganeering...

Jul 11, 2019, 9:11 AM

I was amused at how frank Megan Rapinoe was when asked about what actually needs to happen if they are going to be paid equally (generate more revenue):

https://twitter.com/MSNBC/status/1148778086164566017

Re: I am sympathetic, but after all the sloganeering...

Jul 11, 2019, 10:01 AM

Off topic, but I'll bet that one with the pink hair makes a turrible sammich

What's fair is for them to get every penny they can get...

Jul 11, 2019, 11:23 AM

the people who write the checks will pay them. As far as invoking laws to force an increase it's just as fair as forcing the men to play for less. If political pressure forces their wages higher then that's between them and people who pay them.

My contribution to their cause is figured into my monthly bill for DTV sports broadcast. I've never watched and have nothing else to contribute.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic